Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

scanner.

im wondering if a quality scanner would be of help in a SHTF situation?

i remember back in the 70's we use to set and listen to them on the regular.

to us that was fun back then lol. any opinions or thoughts?

Back in the 80's almost all police agencies went to mobile data terminals of one type or another. Other than an 'in pursuit' call, most dispatches are sent digitally. Also, many calls are a call the station (on their cell phone) just so the bad guys can't monitor the frequencies. It might be useful in monitoring emergency services type agencies but I'm not sure they are a good exchange for your money if you are thinking of tracking LEO calls.

It depends on the scanner you have. I keep a Bearcat BC550A handy. It scans most Fire/EMS/Police frequencies, plus I can scan several different Ham bands. I listen to a lot of Ham Nets on my way home from work on most nights.

see i was hoping to be able to do the same. thing is, if they are changing their ways of doing things it would be a waste of money for me.

You can still listen to the ham bands. In SHTF situations, thats what you're going to want to listen to anyway. Thats how people keep contact. Cb's and amateur radio.

no sir not yet. with all the "silly season" stuff going on i have had the time. cant wait til it ends.

Yea, me too. lol. I've got a ton of stuff to do, but not much time. If you're looking to start listening right now while you're online, go to radioreference.com. You can listen online for free to your area. I do it while at work.

Yea, me too. lol. I've got a ton of stuff to do, but not much time. If you're looking to start listening right now while you're online, go to radioreference.com. You can listen online for free to your area. I do it while at work.

hum.... this is gonna be cool!

I'm a scanner fan. The problem with a lot of larger systems is that they have converted to digital, some are encrypyed and most have gone to what is called trunk tracking. Trunking systems let a large group of 2-way radio users (or even different groups of 2-way radio users) efficiently use a large range of frequencies. Instead of selecting a specific frequency for a transmission, the user simply selects a talk group. The trunking system automatically transmits the call on the first available frequency and also sends (on a different frequency called a data channel) a code that uniquely identifies that transmission.

Since the trunking system might send a call and its response on different frequencies, it is difficult to listen to trunked communications using a regular scanner. Make sure you have a scanner that will trunk track and then you will need the freqs. Unless you have software to find freqs this can be a real bear to do.

I would think you would have a lot more luck with a Ham receiver.

Digital trunking is the here and now of public safety communications. Their abilities far surpass VFH and UFH systems although most of America still uses them. Encryption isn't something I want in my duty radios although I've worked for two agencies that had that capability. If you're looking to buy a scanner make sure it has the capability of receiving digital trunking. At that scale, you'll pick up marine bands, airplanes, 800 mhz, digital, VHF high and low band, and even FRS.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recent Topics

• HELLO! WELCOME TO THE GREAT TEMPLE OF ILLUMINATI WORLD RICHES. Are you a business Man, politician, musical, student and you want to be rich, powerful and be famous in life. You can achieve your dreams by being a member of the Illuminati brotherhood, and receive a monthly salary of $500,000 USD. We are ready to change your life, we can make your Dreams come true, also we are going to give you everything that you need in this Life .... *Riches  *Power *Famous *Wealth  With this all your dreams and heart desire can be fully accomplish,So have you make up your mind that you want to join the great Illuminati brotherhood to become rich and famous in life population and also you will be protected from all evils against you and your family.
      If you're really ready to be a member of the great Illuminati Brotherhood then contact us via WhatsApp:  +1 315 203 9948 or our official Email: {officialilluminati999@gmail.com} Visits our Websites for more info: https://illuminatiofficial666world.wordpress.com

• HELLO! WELCOME TO THE GREAT TEMPLE OF ILLUMINATI WORLD RICHES. Are you a business Man, politician, musical, student and you want to be rich, powerful and be famous in life. You can achieve your dreams by being a member of the Illuminati brotherhood, and receive a monthly salary of $500,000 USD. We are ready to change your life, we can make your Dreams come true, also we are going to give you everything that you need in this Life .... *Riches  *Power *Famous *Wealth  With this all your dreams and heart desire can be fully accomplish,So have you make up your mind that you want to join the great Illuminati brotherhood to become rich and famous in life population and also you will be protected from all evils against you and your family.
      If you're really ready to be a member of the great Illuminati Brotherhood then contact us via WhatsApp:  +1 315 203 9948 or our official Email: {officialilluminati999@gmail.com} Visits our Websites for more info: https://illuminatiofficial666world.wordpress.com

• INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,,  I GOT SOMETHING NEW
      Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months! See how it works
      Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
      Make up you mind before applying, straight deal... Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
      via email address::{Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}

We have specially programmed ATM cards that  can be use to hack ATM
      machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
      stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
      buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
      and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
      you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
      services, we are here for you anytime any day. Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS: Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
      Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
      Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
      Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
      Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!! The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
      email address:: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com} Visit our Website for more Info: https://automatictellers.webs.com
      ®
      Make up you mind before applying, straight deal... Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us

services, we are here for you anytime any day. Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS: Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
      Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!! The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
      email address:: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com} Visit our Website for more Info: https://automatictellers.webs.com
      ®

®