Sign in to follow this  
CCSir

My GHB

This was supposed to be for ricksconnected but thought I would share to everyone here as well.

My Maxpedition Jumbo EDC Versipack with Janus Extension Pocket. I also added a pouch on the side from the military surplus store.

001-1-1.jpg

From the main compartment.

002-1-1.jpg

Front compartment that closes with it's own zipper, but the main flap closes over it as well.

003-1-1.jpg

Top compartment on top of closing flap.

004-1-1.jpg

Edited by CCSir

My CRKT Kneck Knife with sheath.

005-1-1.jpg

From the side zipper compartment.

006-1-1.jpg

From inside the Janus Extension pouch.

007-1-1.jpg

Lastly, from inside the mil-surp pouch.

008-1-1.jpg

Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Edited by CCSir

see, thats what im talking about right there! not to big, nor to small.

well stocked indeed. as for me, in my neck of the woods i would have to have a few different items than you have but thats ok, the jumbo will handle my need or maybe even the fatboy.

i just cant see a better GHB than the versapack's. not for my/our needs anyways.

thank you CCsir for posting this up.

Thanks for sharing. Looks great. Do you keep this in the car? Only thoughts (which are super minor) are:

- might put something else besides crackers since they might get crunched up

- you could gain some room by changing out the work gloves to something more fitted. Just did this myself

- do you have some water purification tablets? Couldn't tell, but might be handy

- since you have a pretty extensive GHB, could add a 2-way radio with notes for what channels friends and family will use. I would carry this if I didn't walk to work and already have too much junk.

All in all great kit.

I just ordered the maxipetiom EDC organizer, so I can reign in the chaos of my micro GH kit.

i think i agree with the gloves comment. i think you will come out better with gloves from this company.

http://www.mechanix.com/tactical

i use them at work. lighter than what you have, just as thick, and take up less room.

just my opinion here. i also agree with a solid 2way. if something happens, the cell phone system is gonna be jammed up for sure.

DC Matt,

It stays with me from the minute I leave the house, including going in to work with me, and then returns back inside when I'm home. I guess you could call in my "murse" (man purse). When I am running to the store 5 minutes away it doesn't go with me, but for everything else it goes.

Appreciate the suggestion about the gloves. Will see what I can come up with. The ones ricksconnected suggested look pretty good.

The water tabs are something I have been dealing with for a little while. Most of the water tabs I am finding are for more than 32oz of water at a time. (Maybe I'm not looking in the right place?) Realistically it shouldn't take me more than a couple hours to get home by foot. So I figure 32oz of water should be fine for me even if it takes upwards of 24hrs.

Unfortunately, we live over an hour away from our family and most of our friends. A 2-way radio wouldn't reach far enough to be able to communicate. It was shown during 9/11 and Katrina that even though the phones were jammed up, text messages still got through. Since then I have (reluctantly) learned to text. (Held out as long as I could.....till I heard about that.)

Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

sir,

places like pepboys,napa,homedepot, sale those gloves. check them out. i use them at work.

i wouldnt trade them for nothing. from gardening, motorcycles,winter wear these gloves excell.

i have a friend that has a set with the trigger finger cut out. (home done) he loves them for shooting.

CCSir, understand about the text messages. Living in DC I've been in plenty of big groups where calls wont go through, but text messages will. This was reinforced when the earthquake hit and everyoen pulled out their phones. I'm in the same boat about getting home. I walk or take public transportation the few miles to work. so most days I could run home in an hour or two if need be. My GHB is pretty much just a beefed up EDC with a few extras thrown in. Got my small Maxpedition EDC organizer yesterday and once I get it set up nice, I'll post some pictures.

post-1223-13851497745046_thumb.jpg

OK, thought I would post my GHB too. Keep in mind that I walk or use public transport to work and do not have a desk. This means I have to carry everything with me in my backpack to and from work. Also, this kit is not just GH stuff, but contains things I might need in a normal day. I'm also only a few miles from home, so I can sprint home quick if I need to.

The first picture is my EDC, plus my GH kit. Not pictured is my iPhone, watch and bandanna. I also carry my laptop, a water bottle, etc in a TopoDesigns backpack.

Gear Not in Maxpedition bag:

Spare glasses

Wallet

Carabiner

Orange bag (normally for carry stuff I buy in)

Pen and Paper

Case Pocket knife

Pen and Notebook

In Maxepedition Bag:

First Aid Kie (in zip lock with meds, band-aids, CPR mask, gloves, spare contacts, etc)

iPhone cord

Energy Bar

Caffeine (never drink 5 hour energy, but I figured if I need a boost to get home, this would work)

12 foot of paracord

small orange ditty bag (was what I orginally kept all this junk in)

Emergency C poweder

fask mask

sewing kit

whistle

Space Pen

SwissTech Key tool

glasses magnifier glass and screwdriver

Spork

spare CR-123 battery

chap-stick

small led flashlight from work with safety pins attached

Little Leatherman with pliers

small lighter

Any thoughts? I want to play around with changing out some of the stuff since the bag is pretty full now.

post-1223-13851497744545_thumb.jpg

post-1223-13851497744792_thumb.jpg

Thats a nice little bag. For some reason I feel like you could swap you could swap out the spork for something more useful but i'm sure in some situation it could be useful. But since it is your GHB you probably aren't going to be swinging by any abanded diners=) Maybe a lockpick instead?

Thats a nice little bag. For some reason I feel like you could swap you could swap out the spork for something more useful but i'm sure in some situation it could be useful. But since it is your GHB you probably aren't going to be swinging by any abanded diners=) Maybe a lockpick instead?

i agree, the spork's gotta go. its very interesting to see and hear matt's posts on the forum for several reasons. here we have a guy thats got a family and lives in a very fast moving city. if ya slow down for a second your gonna get ran over. he is trying to stay grey, but well ahead of the game if and when SHTF.

this is probably not a easy task in his area im thinking.

good job matt. keep posting and we will keep reading.

Yeah, the spork is really more for my normal day in case I need it for my lunch. A lock pick would be a interesting addition. What's the legality of owning a lock pick set? For a SHTF situation I'm not concerned, but would be good to know for the everyday.

Thanks Rick. Yeah, prepping in a city definitively has its challenges, but there are some advantages too. You really get to know your area when you see it from walking and driving. Lots of good nooks and crannies you might miss if you drive all the time. Also, you (or at least I do) develop a pretty good radar and situational awareness. Being aware of your surroundings and possible trouble is probably my biggest piece of GHB gear. Of course, the lady and I would love to be living out in the country somewhere if we could.

Great tin GHB. You can do some nice stuff with those little guys.

Edited by DC Matt