Sign in to follow this  
CCSir

My GHB

My wife seems to think that it fits my style. (Does that mean that I look "European"?:confused:)

I see people using messenger style bags around hear ALL the time. I think a backpack at times (depending your professional landscape) can look very unprofessional. As I always say though, to each their own. I like em.

CCSir,

Nice minimalist GHB. It looks like you have put some thought into its contents. Some things to consider when planning your GHB. Always look at your environment, if you work in a city and only need to make it across it to your home them look for something more on the civilian style and that blends in with your surroundings (other people). If you live in a rural setting and have to travel a good distance cross country then you should look toward a hunting or military style bag. Then you should look at your needs and any possible contingencies that would come up in your area. This should drive your contents. Don't get fishing line or snares if you are in a city. Always have the basic elements involved though, Navigation -So include a map of your area (city street map or USGS map), a small silva compass (they are flat and easy to use). Fire- I always carry multiple of these (lighter, matches, flint). Water- a container (nalgene bottle), purification tabs (easiest and cheap), Shelter- Space blanket, gortex jacket (seasonal), Food - energy bars are good. Then any personal needs one might have (extra glasses, repair kit for glasses, meds, etc)

If you have an item in your kit that does not have a real purpose or can be used for a multitude of things, then you should consider eliminating it from your kit. Once you obtain your contents then actually use them for what you have planned, if they dont stand up to the use or are inadequate then find a better item for that use.

Not sure how many miles or terrain you would have to travel on foot, but you mentioned it might take you a couple of hours. I would definitely add the purification tabs to add you in hydration. Because carrying only 1 quart of water will go fast if you have to move fast or over rough terrain. Dont forget about seasonal changes, summer is hotter and you will need more water. I would add a small silva compass and a map, just in case you have to change course. Not sure of your use of the snaplink, but I would not use it for any rappelling or lowering myself off steep terrain. I would replace those little scissors with a small pair from a sewing department in walmart. I have used these type that came in a sew kit and they broke very easily. plus are too small for my fingers to use. From the extra mags I assume you carry, great choice of having extra ammo.

Sorry for the long post but I just wanted to spread my experience to others. Overall you have a great minimalist GHB.

This is my GHB that I keep in my truck at all times, unless we drive my wife's SUV then it goes from the truck to the SUV and we return home...back to my truck it goes....post-459-13851497796209_thumb.jpg.....since this pictures were taken, I have also added a change of cloths (Woodland BDU's), a frist aid kit, a source of water and 1 more day of MRE's

post-459-13851497794541_thumb.jpg

post-459-13851497794997_thumb.jpg

post-459-13851497795402_thumb.jpg

post-459-13851497795791_thumb.jpg

This is my GHB that I keep in my truck at all times, unless we drive my wife's SUV then it goes from the truck to the SUV and we return home...back to my truck it goes.....since this pictures were taken, I have also added a change of cloths (Woodland BDU's), a frist aid kit, a source of water and 1 more day of MRE's

i like it.

Ringo,

Much appreciation for the comments and suggestions. Not long after posting this I actually went out and picked up some water purification tabs to put in there on the suggestion of others.