P210SIG

WW2 barb wire/razor wire cutter.

Picked one of these up at a flea market today.

Markings has 1945 & 256 just below the cutting area.

Not sure if it's Canadian, American etc, of origin.

It looks just like this picture below, but the one I got is in mint condition.

Not even a speck of rust.

Anybody have any info on this cutter would be a great help, & thanks in advance.

http://www.eucmh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/BM-Wire-Cutter-40-45-003.jpg

That's good for you Snake, but it does not help in my search for what I purchased today.

These cutters are 11 inches in length when the handles are folded, 3 inches wide, & almost 1 inch thick.

I'm quite sure it has some sort of history behind it to talk about with military buddies.

One thing for sure they don't make cutters like this nowadays.

http://www.eucmh.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/BM-Wire-Cutter-40-45-003.jpg

The real question is, how do they work? The problem with a lot of the older special use military tools is that they were sort of meant to be a one or two use throwaway device. I have a Vietnam era pair of cutters that were given to me by a friend. They are basically side cutting bolt cutters though and only a little lighter than Snake's fencing pliers.

The handles do extend by swinging out, like a multi tool , knife file, etc, would.

I've cut 1.5 16ths metal rods with this cutter more than 2 dozen times & everything seems to be holding fine,

Cutting the rods like butter. Fence wire was a breeze to cut.

The tool is really great as was the price which I paid $12 Ye Ha !

I may have to start looking out for a pair for my light bug out bag. I figured that if they worked they would cut pretty easily seeing how they are compound jointed. I love a well made tool that is light, efficient and well made. Some of the stuff made over the years has been great and some barely better than trash.I will definatly be on the look out for one of these.  

I did another test with these British Cammando cutters VS my 18 inch bolt cutter 1/2 hour ago.

The BC cutters did just about the same things the 18 inch bolt cutters would do.

Over all length the BC cutters are 2/3 the size & about 2/3 if not all most just a tad over the 1/2 weight mark of the bolt cutters.

I'm thinking the BC cutters would make a great piece of gear added to my BOB ( Bug Out Bag ). Like you said Danm.....