Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

ok im lost here on this.......

why does it seem that there are more people gearing up for "battle" than survival?

i dont understand that part of things. i do agree we should be armed and ready to defend our property, our family, our own lives, but the "everything tactical" i dont get.

Edited by ricksconnected

Hey Rick here is my thought on our question........As I see it...when TSHTF most people are going to go from Dr. Jackle to Mr Hide.....and when that happens you are going from a survival mode to a battle mode if you want to protect your family....and if people know or find out that you are a prepper then they are going to try and take what you have i.e. food....ammo.....weapons.....money.....and anything else of value. When I was a little boy I can remember my grandmother saying "Someday People Will Strave In The Land Of Plenty" at that time I really didn't understand what she was talking about......but as I got older and traveled the world I now understand what she was saying......As for me my plan is to defend my home for as long as I can....and then when I can no longer defend my home that when I put plan B into effect....and plan B is moving into the mountains of upper east Tennessee and taking each day as it comes......I hope this helped with your question

i understand and agree with you. it just seems that some folks focus more on the

tactical and weapon part of it more so than the prepping/survival part of it.

ok for example, what are folks gonna do when their food runs short? what will you do when your battery supply runs dry? whats the plan when the RX starts to run dry? what will you do if a starving family with children stumbles across you and your BOL? will you turn them away? im just thinking about things a little more deeply today for some reason. lots of situations and topics we still need to get going yet on the topic of survival rather guns/knives. on the positive side, i guess its good that im thinking in the right direction.

I think of them as one in the same. I have everything I need to survive including my guns. I hope to stay in my home and not have to hit the woods. But in my BOB I have everything I need to start over. As far as the starving finding me I would help if I could. But not to the point of being left without. I know what you are talking about, it always turns to guns, knifes and traps. especially from newer people, I think because that's the first thing people think about when they think about surviving. They seem to think they can go out and kill something to eat, or kill someone if they need to. I can tell you it's not that easy to kill a person for the first time . And most likely you are talking about a gun battle. They will have guns to, I would rather trap than shoot if I'm in the BOL and not wanting to be found

I think part of it is guns and gear is more fun to talk about. I'll defend the evil black rifles in that there more durable and accurate then a lot of the the sporters out there. Ruger said it pretty good that there are going to be people who may try to kill you to get what you have if you live any where near a city or people for that mater. But that said you should probably have more beans then bullets. Personally I avoid the Camo patterns and the closest I'll get is solid colors. If you really want the camo go with hunter camo. It clearly marks you civilian and is less threatening then the marpat or multicam stuff. The big thing is you have to figure out if your planing for the storm of the decade or the end of days. If it's the end of days then you should probably have more farming tools then canned food. I think capt bart (we have 2 capts now) said it somewhere that he is more afraid of the people who stock up on thousands of rounds for every few cans they have. Because once they run out of food it's either trade bullets for beans or take the beans with bullets.

So I'll pose a counter point. For $100 you can buy a stripted ar15 lower, a medium/low end tactical vest no plates, 200 rounds of federal 5.56, less then 100 cans of soup or [10 dry pounds of brown rice, 20 pounds of dry pinto beans and 4 of those big things of oatmeal]. Which do you think will help you the most. Also you can eat the food you store as long as you constantly restock. It doesn't make since to buy 100 pounds of rice if you don't eat rice.

Rick,

I think you've got the right focus. Shelter, water, food, security. They are all an important part of what we are doing. However, without having some physical security (after SHTF) trying to acquire shelter, water and food will be a moot point.

Each person has to determine their own level of physical security for the scenarios that they see as being pertinent. Is my security the same as yours? Probably not based on sociological, economical, and geographical derivatives.

Plus, I think this board right now is predominantly male. I could be wrong, but I think that may have something to do with it as well.:)

Rick,

Plus, I think this board right now is predominantly male. I could be wrong, but I think that may have something to do with it as well.:)

yep your right. all we need is 1 female per every 2 dozen males to set us straight and keep us on track lol.

hey there are plenty female preppers out there. im willing to bet a can of ammo that the first preppers were females.

Rick you are right and I was acutally thinking about this myself the other day. Don't have too much new to say that hasn't already been said above. You want to talk about cans of beans I have on my shelf or the new Barrett 50 cal I took out yesterday and blew apart an engine block with!!!?? (i'm just kidding I wish I had a barrett) I'm just trying to make a point. People talk more about what interests them and whats fun. I do think there is a lot of tac talk going on at times but that is just the way it is I guess

Rick,

I agree with you that as preppers we have to focus on the "beans and band-aids" side of the equation, but for most of us the "bullets" category is just more fun to discuss. Getting food and water stocked for your family for a year is a long logistical slog, unless you are made of money, whereas going to the range and sighting in your new black rifle is a quick blast of fun.

Actually, if you ever lurk at some of the other "survivalist" sites, you might be surprised at how much real content you are getting here when it comes to the mundane task of keeping your family alive in hard times. We have one subsection for firearms and ammo, whereas some of these other, unnamed sites have five or six firearm subsections. I am proud to see we have not had an outbreak of the "45 vs. 9mm" or the "AK vs. AR" battles here that I have observed elsewhere. This live and let live attitude here is why I finally decided to join a forum (this one) after lurking for years. Anyway, I absolutely agree with you that gearing up for battle should not be our main goal but rather a part of our larger survival strategy.

Guys, in general, tend to be solution oriented. After being married to my high school sweetheart for 42 years I still start fights by trying to "solve" her problem when she just wanted me to listen! What does that have to do with this topic?

I can spend years stockpiling food, fuel, water, seeds, meds and still not cover the bases. This past summer revealed to me that my water preps were completely inadequate! Houston is over 2 feet below its normal rainfall; I just didn't foresee that. A "black swan" for me; now I have new issues to address. Fortunately I didn't get bitten by a SHTF event and I have time now to work on it. For a solution oriented kind of guy, it is frustrating beyond belief to never KNOW if I've got the correct solution. I'm constantly running up to something I had wrong or forgotten or just never considered.

With firearms, on the other hand, I can know I've achieved preparedness.

post-6-13851497684527_thumb.jpg

The attraction is that I have solved the problem! If I'm worried about food and such, how can I know I have enough. What if the crops fail? We guys have a view of ourselves as great hunters, but most of us have never had to subsistence hunt. That is a different thing than what most of today's hunters are familiar with. Combat ops are a lot more complex than most folks know but we have inculcated the idea that I am invincible and will win. Part of my objection to video games is the reset button; if I lose in a game I learn and start over. Not so in combat.

I can count guns and bullets and know what I have. Not always true with food, water, and shelter. What if my choice of TEOTWAKI event is wrong? If I run out of fuel, or batteries or medicines? Guns and bullets are easy. Beans, water, shelter is tough and not nearly as simple as bullets. We guys like solutions, not uncertainties.

Just my not so humble opinion.

I've always wondered this myself. Alot of people say they will just hunt there food or whatever. Well thats great and all, but that deer you bag isn't gonna be so yummy after a few days when you're living off the grid with no freezers.

i feel my specific prepping is private info, besides my fiancee, no one knows what we have. talking about firearms and such is just more fun and i personally dont feel as much of a target if someone knows i have guns and ammo as opposed to the "other stuff"

I am proud to see we have not had an outbreak of the "45 vs. 9mm" or the "AK vs. AR" battles here that I have observed elsewhere.

So.....what's better, 9mm or .45acp?

Is an AK better than an AR or is it vise versa?

Sorry, I had too.

Sorry, I had too.

Go with the one that is in your hand at the time of need. The rest is just opinion. If the perfect firearm platform existed the other types would fade away. Each firearm has a use and limitations.

People like to talk about the fun aspect of any endeavor. Guns are a fun part of prepping. As for going to battle when shtf, most of our actions are based on the fear of the unknown. We can only guess how the masses will act. History gives us some lessons to learn from. Will you have to defend yourself and family from one person or a gang or a mob or even military? We all tend to think that we need to prep for the worse we can imagine. Few of us will be able to follow through.

Sorry, I had too.

9mm, 45acp, AR and AK are very different platforms. The only solution is to duel wield the AR and AK and have your 1911 mounted to the lower picatinny rail on one and your Beretta mounted underneath the other. Then when your enemies see you they will pause to laugh as how silly you look and that's when you getem :rolleyes:

9mm, 45acp, AR and AK are very different platforms. The only solution is to duel wield the AR and AK and have your 1911 mounted to the lower picatinny rail on one and your Beretta mounted underneath the other. Then when your enemies see you they will pause to laugh as how silly you look and that's when you getem :rolleyes:

Awesome! I will get on it this weekend.B)

Auto, personally i'm kinda of tired of this debate ( not your fault I just hear it alot) It really comes down to what you want, can afford, and whats comfortable for you. 9mm offers more mag capacity and 45 offers more stopping power. I don't really have an opinion on the rifles though. However, at the range that most people shoot pistols I really don't think the caliber debate comes into play. You hit someone in the chest with a 9mm and they are going to feel it and probably go down, especially if you are shooting hollow points which I highly recommend. Also, with 9mm getting back on target is much easier since there is less recoil, and much cheaper ammo.