Sign in to follow this  
TheDefaultHuman

Pick and Choose

thank you captin;) so metal casing can remedy this? i only ask cuz i have a kindle for my BOB.

If you haven't done so, I'd suggest you read the Blog article on Kindles for the BOB. It was persuasive enough that I now have a Kindle for my BOB as well! I think the article underplayed how useful it is but them that is just me.

If you haven't done so, I'd suggest you read the Blog article on Kindles for the BOB. It was persuasive enough that I now have a Kindle for my BOB as well! I think the article underplayed how useful it is but them that is just me.

About the Kindle, I was considering getting one, but is it durable? What if your running with your BOB and trip, would it break? I dropped my iPod like 80 gazillion times and I said "F***" every single time. But after 2 years of use I still sold it for $90. So I spent $100 or so to use it for 2 years, well worth it, but would a kindle have as many options? I know it good for reading books but the iPod is smaller, not sure if its more durable or not, you got music, a camera, you can get 64gb ones but 8gb for around $200, you can get many apps, a very bright flashlight app, you can get podcasts, download books, play games, they have levels (although probably not as good as a real one), you can write notes, if you have wifi you can check the whether, surf the internet, go to almost any website, etc...

I've never owned a Kindle but it seems the iPod might be a better choice, and maybe its more durable?

I've never owned a Kindle but it seems the iPod might be a better choice, and maybe its more durable?

The IPad does indeed have more capability. The Kindle's big advantage is that is can go for up to 30 days with out recharge. shorter time if being used but that 30 days is a nice touch. The iPod certainly can do more, but it requires more juice more often. Mine seems fairly robust, there isn't much to break unless you poke a stick through the screen. YMMV.

S has H T F and you need to choose.

[sNIP] and all of your every day carry items are magically gone! [sNIP]

I would love to hear your choices and explanations, this is a typical SHTF situation that I don't want to find myself in and would love to hear the options you might pick.

I don't believe in magic. I have at least one knife on me at all times unless I am in bed or in the shower. And I have a hunting knife between the mattress and boxspring and one on top of the bathroom mirror. Unless a building has a metal detector at the door, I have a knife every place I go. That's part of being prepared.

I'd go with

1. B) You can get more and keep more with a pistol than money when there is no authority (government/police) around and I am not the only one who knows that!

and

2. C) Home is where I would check first. Despite the best laid plans, if communications are down I want to get my family or ensure they got out and then leave a note.

In which direction I am seven miles from home would be a factor in my choices for many places I have lived.

Depending on the overall extremeness of the situation, I can't say I wouldn't take a bicycle or car at all, but I'm not likely to take one by force unless it was a true life-or-death medical emergency and reason and charity failed.

Whether or not I would help if I saw someone get shot is a vague question. A response is not likely without more information. Some folks need killin'.

I'd take the gun and run. I have so little faith in mankind as it is that I would be duckin and runnin for sure if SHTF. Sorry people in my way, but I'm not asking to many questions and with a gun I got a quick answer to a lot of questions I might get. Hopefully the Fam will be ready to hit the road once I get home.

A quick thought on kindles/ipads, if all you need is a metal "cage" wouldn't some sort of craft tin work, like what chocolates comes in. There are ones for sale at craft stores that close very tight, I imagine if you looked you could find one just bigger than the kindle/ipad. That way you have protection from the EMP and impact protection in your pack. I have small roundish pockets on the outsite of my pack and they are not full yet but I have coffee cans that fit right into the pockets, they are not the strongest things ever but I like that whatever is in those pockets won't be damaged by any minor bumps or falls. I also put the cans into ice bags and tie a knot before they go into the pockets, is it overkill that I want my BOB to completely float?