Sign in to follow this  
MommyLiberty5013

Camp Cleaning

I was just making dinner and thinking about how I would do kitchen/meal prep differently if I had no soap.

Cleanliness and hygiene are very important to me now, and in a SHTF they would be even more important, I think. (duh).

In a SHTF for a long-term scenario in which supplies of dish soap or other kitchen cleaning/dish washing materials are used up,  how do you keep things hygienic and sanitary? What methods do you use to wash dishes? How do you degrease something (or do you?)? Are there certain areas of an "outdoor kitchen" designated for certain meal prep tasks? What "zones" in an outdoor or SHTF "kitchen" should be made up or designated?

And, while we're on it, how far away from "camp" or homestead should the bathroom be? Is there a bathroom for #1 and a different place for #2? How far away from your washing, drinking water source should the facilities be? How do you handle hand washing?

Hypothetically, if I had a kid still in diapers in a SHTF, and we hadn't used up the disposables, yet, would I carry those out a long way from the home site and bury them (or, would this encourage animals), or could they be burned (I know light and smoke of fire is another security issues, but saying it wasn't, would you burn them?)? Same with feminine disposable hygiene items?

How do you launder clothing and towels? Obviously, air dry, but for washing, what kind of soap? What if you don't have laundry soap?

We make our own laundry soap, and shock of surprises! It actually works extremely well. We've also laid in a huge supply of

"dishsoap" for not only dishes, bathing, good old clothes washing and disinfection.

Makes it a great price, since one doesn[t need a great deal of it to have it be effective.

That is our solution.(no pun intended)

As for voiding one's ballder and colon, each geographical area would present it's own "issues" for example where we live,

"voiding" in the winter time IS a tad chilly outside, and frostbite IS a real concern if there is no running water or

indoor plumbing. We've selected two sites, one for a full blown outhouse/latrine complete with a "sit down" and toilet tissue

capability and the other location for #1, which we called in the military a pi** tube. There are also "female accoutrements)

available to make standing and voiding available to females, including children.(just lower the length of tube is all that is

needed). We've to 7 foot tubes (black PVC) ready to go when needed. Can use small "shower shelters" over them to keep rain or

snow off if needed. Other than that, can't think of another way to logisitcally make great use of having to go...yeah we've also

got the plastic buckets with "seats" and a few cases of garbage bags and some lime for odor control when it's falt out

too cold/nasty to venture to the outhouse. Oh, we've got many cases of "wet wipes" (unscented) to use for bum cleaning

and as quick shower clean ups when needed as well. getting more cases too.

here are some stats from cottage tips: http://www.cottagetips.com/2012/05/outhouse-is-full-now-what/

Rules for the Pit
The bottom of the pit must to be at least 900mm (3 feet) above the high point of the ground water table. The sides of the pit have to be reinforced so they won’t cave in.

There must also be at least 600mm (2 inches) of soil or leaching bed fill surrounding the pit and at the bottom of the pit.

The soil or leaching bed fill has to be raised or mounded at least 150mm (6 inches) above ground level around the base of the outhouse structure. This would be done to prevent rain water from getting in.

Here are a few other considerations:

The setback requirements are often determined by the local community. In many cases the outhouse must be located at least 30 metres (100 feet) from any water source.

The dirt you excavate from the new pit can be used to fill in the old one.

It is worth the time and effort to do your homework on the local and regional rules before you relocate the privy. If your unfriendly neighbour sees you digging a new outhouse pit on a part of your property that he doesn’t approve of, he may decide to make your life difficult, and you could find yourself up the bush without a potty – especially if it isn’t built to code.

When relocating your outhouse it is also a good idea to think about whether or not you plan to install a septic system in the future. The last thing you want to do is locate the outhouse and sanitary pit on top of your ideal septic location.

Regardless of your decision, the outhouse still remains an important and ecologically friendly part of any traditional cabin property. Just remember, if you respect the pit privy it will respect you.

Here is a simple camping toilet that comes in handy when you plan to clean out or move the outhouse. It is also a nice option to have at the cabin for evening use or for cold and rainy days when you would prefer to avoid heading to the outhouse.

Sand heat it to kill off the biologicals and use it as scrubbing grit thats why I like stainless and not aluminum or Teflon.

sand is a good exfoiliate as well it also cleans the inside of curved surfaces like a stainless water bottle.

the finer the sand almost like talk will polish to a mirror shine this will alleviate sticking.

Soap or any surfactant  other like aloe vera  wine or vinegar with oils from seeds or mix in some spice or herbs coconut milk as it has some oil.

witch hazel  If I were to use things like this I would use prickly pear cactus shave off the skin and stickers pulp the green mass into jelly and add a spice or herb something with some oil content even flax or sunflower  seed crushed to keep from having dry scalp.

like cast Iron most just rinsed it wiped it or took sand and just enough to get off any food and rinse and oil heat it up and let it "take" and ready for the next meal.

you can wash your hands with sand even your body dampness and old skin reduce to a yeast you can uses some edible leaves cattails and dead grasses to scrub with but know what they are and if your allergic to them wiping your butt with poison ivy oak or sumac is not a good idea

corn cobs are best IF they have been gleaned for cream style corn that leaves the best surface or else it is like 60 grit sandpaper.

most citrus like limes lemon or oranges have oil in the peel but I would only use a small amount of grated peel and filter it through a thin cloth you can take peel and sun brew it like a tea add other herbals nuts like a few acorns that are not tasty.

palm heart or root / juice basically you want for a body wash something with astringent properties with some natural oil to act as a collider / mix with your bodies oils and lift them away but not completely also women have brushed their hair remember the hundred strokes that invigorated the scalp

drew natural oils to the root and removed dirt.

still water is a must to rinse or else..........some plants like the arnica / sunflower have toxins left on skin this can create havoc dizziness the squirts or

Montezuma's revenge and other unwanted side effects some deadly like nightshade etc.