Sign in to follow this  
MommyLiberty5013

MRE - Flameless or Heaters?

So, with MREs, I see some say they are flameless and others require heaters? If you buy MREs that do not have heaters included, but you already own small fuel canisters and mini back packing "stoves", can these be used to heat water for the MRE to mix in? Or, do you need to have the specific MRE heaters in those packets?

IF, you HAVE to heat them up, flameless REQUIRE water to work.(and it's aUSE ONCE deal ONLY) Just an FYI, while MRE's are OK, (nothing great in my book, better than Top Ramen OR starving, you can make your own usually for a LOT less. HIt up the big-box "super center" and hit the "canned meat" aisle(chili, soups, etc). Look for the retort packaged COMMERCIAL food from Hormel, like "SPAM" packets, and Hormel's  microwaveable retort "dinners", called "Completes".  Way less expensive than MRE's and a whole lot "fresher" and WILL last longer long term.

I've eaten those cold as well as MRE's and prefer the commerical Hormel ones OVER MRE's, however, this is the caveat: I bit my tongue in half as a kid, (sewed back together by a Doc) and have few taste buds left. MRE's taste nasty to me.

For business travel, we always hit up the local "super center" upon arrival and stock up, just to avoid "eating out" all the freakingtime. Way better for US, and tastebuds too.

Besides, the "kids" at home will like the "home made" MRE's better. We made some for our own BOB-72 hour kits two mights ago, and feel rather proud of ourselves, We included cutlery(plastic) napkins, condiment packs(gathered from fast food restaurants while there-like small salt/pepper packets) woth their weight in gold during BARTER too, that kind of thing.

IN the West, there is a chain called "WINCO", and they DO have separate "parts" or components of military MRE's for sale individually. We use those for "dessert" and snacks, in OUR family made MRE's.  Oh, and you can heat up the Hormel "Compleats" in the sun as well, with or without foil, or, with heating them up in boiling water or hot water as well for dual purposing the water, like for sanitation needs. Works well and no, they don't leak.

You don't need "special" cooking stoves, packets, fuel tabs or any other crap like that , Mom, if youa re heating water to wash the kids' faces, bums, or whatever, just toss the MRE (military grade or home made) into the hot water for a couple of minutes, and Presto! Hot meal is ready. Yeah, it IS that easy!

I would guess that at least ONE grocery chain in your neck-of-the-woods HAS MRE military-components for sale, if at least during hunting season. Look, and check in the "seasonal aisles" as well. But, don't sell your own efforts at making your OWN MRE's either! It works well. Oh, we also ahve sealed a lot of our "home made" MRE's in individual packages with the Food Saver. We use the LONG rolls instead of individual sized bags, and DOUBLE seal EACH EDGE, one, move the bag, then another seal for DOUBLE redundancy. Haven't had a "leak" yet with anything we've done this way.

You can get the LONG rolls of food saver TYPE bags(from different vendors) at large commerical sporting goods stores that cater to serious outdoors-hunting types all over the country, a WHOLE lot less than Food-Saver Brand bags! Hope this helps a bit. No Fear!

IF, you HAVE to heat them up, flameless REQUIRE water to work.(and it's aUSE ONCE deal ONLY) Just an FYI, while MRE's are OK, (nothing great in my book, better than Top Ramen OR starving, you can make your own usually for a LOT less. HIt up the big-box "super center" and hit the "canned meat" aisle(chili, soups, etc). Look for the retort packaged COMMERCIAL food from Hormel, like "SPAM" packets, and Hormel's  microwaveable retort "dinners", called "Completes".  Way less expensive than MRE's and a whole lot "fresher" and WILL last longer long term.

I've eaten those cold as well as MRE's and prefer the commerical Hormel ones OVER MRE's, however, this is the caveat: I bit my tongue in half as a kid, (sewed back together by a Doc) and have few taste buds left. MRE's taste nasty to me.

For business travel, we always hit up the local "super center" upon arrival and stock up, just to avoid "eating out" all the freakingtime. Way better for US, and tastebuds too.

Besides, the "kids" at home will like the "home made" MRE's better. We made some for our own BOB-72 hour kits two mights ago, and feel rather proud of ourselves, We included cutlery(plastic) napkins, condiment packs(gathered from fast food restaurants while there-like small salt/pepper packets) woth their weight in gold during BARTER too, that kind of thing.

IN the West, there is a chain called "WINCO", and they DO have separate "parts" or components of military MRE's for sale individually. We use those for "dessert" and snacks, in OUR family made MRE's.  Oh, and you can heat up the Hormel "Compleats" in the sun as well, with or without foil, or, with heating them up in boiling water or hot water as well for dual purposing the water, like for sanitation needs. Works well and no, they don't leak.

You don't need "special" cooking stoves, packets, fuel tabs or any other crap like that , Mom, if youa re heating water to wash the kids' faces, bums, or whatever, just toss the MRE (military grade or home made) into the hot water for a couple of minutes, and Presto! Hot meal is ready. Yeah, it IS that easy!

I would guess that at least ONE grocery chain in your neck-of-the-woods HAS MRE military-components for sale, if at least during hunting season. Look, and check in the "seasonal aisles" as well. But, don't sell your own efforts at making your OWN MRE's either! It works well. Oh, we also ahve sealed a lot of our "home made" MRE's in individual packages with the Food Saver. We use the LONG rolls instead of individual sized bags, and DOUBLE seal EACH EDGE, one, move the bag, then another seal for DOUBLE redundancy. Haven't had a "leak" yet with anything we've done this way.

You can get the LONG rolls of food saver TYPE bags(from different vendors) at large commerical sporting goods stores that cater to serious outdoors-hunting types all over the country, a WHOLE lot less than Food-Saver Brand bags! Hope this helps a bit. No Fear!

I admire your prep! Nice making your own. Right now, I don't have the time for making my own. So, I'm liking the ready-made option. Good call on the mini salt/pepper packets. Ketchup too, I suppose!!! I will keep my eyes out for these ready made meals.

I tried one of the Falmeless heaters tasted better than the MRE's  (just kidding) but I bet it would, like the accessory pack.

MRE's here ere in Texas you thow them on the dashboard and heat them in 30 minutes they will be hot enough to remove chicken lips.

I got to where I like pasta /  rice "sides" cost around a buck fairly good flavor if you stack them up / down they make a nice square block.

they are lite boil water add packet heat and eat cheap I have mine in a old tupperwear box w/ lid smaller and lighter that a case of MRE's

there are a lot of items on the grocers shelf that last a long time one is dehydrated refried pinto beans I like the new packets of tuna (not the price)

jerky slim jims cliffs bars etc. will easily last a year.

When I was a kid beans rice flour salt pork and oatmeal coffee sugar spoces and cinnamon I could go for quite a while.

So, with MREs, I see some say they are flameless and others require heaters? If you buy MREs that do not have heaters included, but you already own small fuel canisters and mini back packing "stoves", can these be used to heat water for the MRE to mix in? Or, do you need to have the specific MRE heaters in those packets?

yes you can heat up an MRE with boiling water...their not too bad cold though it takes some getting used too..

About the best that I can say for MREs is that in a bind they WILL make a turd. I actually liked the old C & K rations. I guess I hold a grudge. I went solo camping once and carried MREs. On day 2 one gave me a dose of food poisoning and I laid in a tent sick as a dog for three days sweating it out and unable to walk out. This was before cell phones and since nobody was expecting me back for a week or so I was on my own. I've never eaten anything out of an MRE since except the cheese tortellinis and side packages. I carry an 8 or 10 cup aluminum camping coffee pot and cook one pot meals. They taste good and are good for me since this is something that I eat a lot of anyway.

I like the Tony Chachere Red Beans and Rice, the Gumbo, Jumbilia and things like that and Ramen noodle dishes with whatever I can catch or kill. Instant potatoes mixed into dehydrated soup mixes are good too. I dump the boxes and put the stuff in a seal a meal vacuum bags. Canned meats also will add a lot to such meals.

I'm just not an MRE sort of guy.

Hormel, Pace and a few other commerical food companies, DO make "retort-processed" foods (which IS what MRE's ARE),

and they are actually good and on sale pretty inexpensive.

I actually TOLD my wife to NOT eat my mother's cooking, she did and got sick, really sick.

Yeah, "Moms cooking" isn't and STILL isn't "bad" it's HORRIBLE! She's 87 now, and can't cook anything....still.