Sign in to follow this  
MommyLiberty5013

I shot my grandpa's .22 a few times as a kid and I liked it. So, I'm interested in adding one in.

Anybody care to share some recommendations for brands/specs?

Also, rookie question: I'm on the shorter size, so I prefer to handle smaller weapons, are there .22's that have a shorter stock and/or barrel?

I believe all barrels must be a minimum of 16 inches other wise you have a short barrel rifle which you need a special license for...you can get a customized stock for yourself if your willing to pay for it....

I have a savage 22 and a marlin model 60 22 and am happy with both I also have a cricket which is a beginners target rifle I have a Remington too(forgot model)....

If I was limited to one 22 rifle if would be a Ruger 10-22. It is a fairly short rifle and extremely adaptable with all sorts of after market accessories. All Rifles are required to have barrels over 16" If the barrel is shorter than 16" it can't have a stock because it is a pistol.

A semiautomatic rifle can fill more roles than a bolt action. My Ruger 10-22 is more accurate than I am capable of using except over sand bags.  With a scope head shots on squirrels is right there for you if you do your part. There are also a lot of youth sized rifles out there these days and for smaller folks these might be right for you.

Another 22 LR that is a lot of fun is the little Henry 22 lever action carbine. I love mine and the kids like it a lot as well so smaller size works well for them.

If I was limited to one 22 rifle if would be a Ruger 10-22. It is a fairly short rifle and extremely adaptable with all sorts of after market accessories. All Rifles are required to have barrels over 16" If the barrel is shorter than 16" it can't have a stock because it is a pistol.

A semiautomatic rifle can fill more roles than a bolt action. My Ruger 10-22 is more accurate than I am capable of using except over sand bags.  With a scope head shots on squirrels is right there for you if you do your part. There are also a lot of youth sized rifles out there these days and for smaller folks these might be right for you.

Another 22 LR that is a lot of fun is the little Henry 22 lever action carbine. I love mine and the kids like it a lot as well so smaller size works well for them.

Truly helpful. I did look at both the Henry and Ruger brands online. Thanks!

Okay, so why would a person want a bolt action versus a lever action? I assume there are pros and cons to each???

In general bolt actions have a reputation for greater accuracy and strength than a lever action. This is because it is true...in heavy calibers. The bands on the barrels of lever actions make the vibrations of the barrel when fired unpredictable so if you are looking for one hole accuracy from super high quality reloads the lever action is out. A bolt action has several heavy lugs that lock into the barrel allowing higher pressures to be used. About the only exception to this in lever actions was the savage 99 series. Even it though wasn't as strong as a good bolt action.

Now, NONE of this applies to a 22lr. For one thing the 22 can't be reloaded and even with match grade ammo most good 22s have a limited level of accuracy. It can be extremely accurate but not to the level of a larger caliber that had been reloaded for in ONE specific gun. A little light bullet, especially a round nose lead one just drifts more than a larger slug. Even in the 17 mag with pointed bullets the longer range accuracy just isn't there.

The strength of the action just isn't a factor with 22s, the accuracy is limited by the round more than the weapon so in the end the only place where a bolt action is superior to a bolt action is in its toughness and simplicity. The mechanics of a lever action are much more complicated than a bolt action. They require more cleaning and care or their dependability suffers.

In the end, since I like to clean and mess with guns I have three lever action 22, and 3 lever action larger caliber rifles and 3 bolt actions one a 22 and 2 on larger calibers.I love the lever action. In a22 they are such fun and very accurate and dependable. 

PS: Race cars are cool and they sell a bunch of sports cars based on what real race cars do. BUT if you want a car to take your kids to school do you really want a sports car? The pro target shooters all like the bolt actions so do most of the old school snipers but do you want that or need that for hunting, pinking and home defense?

In general bolt actions have a reputation for greater accuracy and strength than a lever action. This is because it is true...in heavy calibers. The bands on the barrels of lever actions make the vibrations of the barrel when fired unpredictable so if you are looking for one hole accuracy from super high quality reloads the lever action is out. A bolt action has several heavy lugs that lock into the barrel allowing higher pressures to be used. About the only exception to this in lever actions was the savage 99 series. Even it though wasn't as strong as a good bolt action.

Now, NONE of this applies to a 22lr. For one thing the 22 can't be reloaded and even with match grade ammo most good 22s have a limited level of accuracy. It can be extremely accurate but not to the level of a larger caliber that had been reloaded for in ONE specific gun. A little light bullet, especially a round nose lead one just drifts more than a larger slug. Even in the 17 mag with pointed bullets the longer range accuracy just isn't there.

The strength of the action just isn't a factor with 22s, the accuracy is limited by the round more than the weapon so in the end the only place where a bolt action is superior to a bolt action is in its toughness and simplicity. The mechanics of a lever action are much more complicated than a bolt action. They require more cleaning and care or their dependability suffers.

In the end, since I like to clean and mess with guns I have three lever action 22, and 3 lever action larger caliber rifles and 3 bolt actions one a 22 and 2 on larger calibers.I love the lever action. In a22 they are such fun and very accurate and dependable. 

PS: Race cars are cool and they sell a bunch of sports cars based on what real race cars do. BUT if you want a car to take your kids to school do you really want a sports car? The pro target shooters all like the bolt actions so do most of the old school snipers but do you want that or need that for hunting, pinking and home defense?

My takeaway -

Bolded helped! I think a bolt action would be best for us, then. We aren't into a gun needing more time and finesse to care for if there is a simpler option available.

Lever vs. bolt action on a 22 strength and accuracy depends on the caliber of round.

So, if we buy a bolt action 22, what are the calibers we should buy for rounds? Could a heavy caliber shot from a 22 take down a deer?

as to using a 22 to take down deer...it can be done BUT

it depends on what kind of SHTF situation we are facing if its a total SHTF and no police or gov't is going to interfere then by all means use a 22...it will have to be headshots though as a 22 isn't gonna be able to penetrate very far

if its a partial SHTF and the police and gov't are still operating it would be illegal to hunt deer with a 22...

Mommy:

Ruger 10/22 Compact is a stellar rifle(semi-auto) for more petite womem like our daughter-in-law. Like DanM, I also am a fan of the Henry lever-action rifles, I bought one for our DIL's kids to learn how to shoot. I ourchased the "youth" model lever action, which SHE promptly poached as "hers". Who am I to argue with the mother of my grand kids?

She's a runner and LITTLE/PETITE. Maybe 5 feet tall if she's on her tip toes and maybe 90 something lbs. She also likes the Marlin model 60 semit-auto rifles as well.

My preference in using  a .22LR rifle, is either lever action or semi-auto, but that is just ME and my subjectiove experience talking.

Look hard at the Ruger 10/22 Compact, it might hit your switch a lot, also fondle the Henry YOUTH model lever-=action in the local gun stores. Be PICKY with whatever YOU choose for you. I also just picked up a bolt-action, single shot Crickett for the youngest grand child, our only grand-daughter, not quite old enough yet, and NO, it isn't pink, it's black.Enjoy the shopping! Also check out some of the pawn shops in your area, ask to handle the rifles and check their bores as well with a bore light or flashlight. You are looking for a SHINY bright bore with visible lands and grooves. Might be able to find a rifle with a decent price. Cash is always king.

Kinda a side note I have a single shot break open for using Aguila Colibri  powderless shells as quiet as a pellet rifle but more powerful.

I use this for rats and snakes and other little critters.

It is a fun gun for the chicken and rabbit pens, and it came with a 410 barrel.

A bolt gun is also easy to load a single shell over as semi auto I have done it in a 10/22 with tweezers but it will not eject a low powered shell

and is dirty so I just use the break open.

firearms are like tools you may need a specialty tool for a specific job all I need is an excuse to get another tool LMAO.

Not stirring the pot but caliber is not so important as position,  distance / obstructions nothing is perfect sometimes you have a crap sandwich, try to nibble the crust and get as little crap as you can.

22s  shot a million ? hey I have no real idea a pickup truck load or more even way more shotgun shells but never as so fun as 22s I still have a grin on my face plinking  with 22s

My takeaway -

Bolded helped! I think a bolt action would be best for us, then. We aren't into a gun needing more time and finesse to care for if there is a simpler option available.

Lever vs. bolt action on a 22 strength and accuracy depends on the caliber of round.

So, if we buy a bolt action 22, what are the calibers we should buy for rounds? Could a heavy caliber shot from a 22 take down a deer?

12 guage Buck shot IF you were in range, WOULD take down a deer. Shot shells from a .22 anything? Nope, not going to happen. Inhumane wounding of the animal and a preadtor would find it before you would. However, .22WMR (official name for the .22Magnum) if you are within range, SHOULD allow you to harvest a moderately sized deer,m provided there were deer still on your property after the Schumerhitsthefan. I'm a BIG fan of the .22magnum caliber rifle, hits a lot harder than the .22LR with little or no recoil as welll infintely better than a poke in the eye with a stick, sharp or not.

Well I saw many years ago deer taken with a 22LR ear hole shot HV 22 solids, the ear canal is a tunnel through the skull but the back of the skull

is thin it is best to get a deer skull and analyze it yourself for it's week points.

I would try to have a shot within 25 to 50 yards this is very Dependant on your shooting ability.

This does not mean you will not miss deer are skittish and do not sit still always turning their head as they are prey animals also dipping their heads to eat and drink.

This is a last ditch no other way to survive attempt IMHO as there is too much of a chance to not quickly dispatch an animal this size.

The other problem is the skull is roundish leaving more chance of a shot being deflected due to poor angle.

In a survival situation deer are actually pretty easy to kill with a 22lr. You snare them with a cable then shoot them from point blank range or you go out at night spotlight them and shoot them in the eyes from also pretty close range. HUNTING deer with a 22 is just cruel. You can't take them down dependably and then they run off and die somewhere a long way off and are wasted.

The simplest 22 really is a break action single shot. The lever action and to some extent the 10-22 require more regular cleaning but you need to keep any firearm that you might need to depend on clean. I've never had a failure on my 10-22, or my AR-7. The only problem that I've ever had with my Henry was after shooting some really dirty cheap ammo the extractor got crud under it and it stopped extracting the fired case. A quick cleaning got it back in action the next day though. I can't imagine any of the quality 22s not being dependable with just a little routine maintenance.

Mom, no matter what you get you need to take the time to learn how to take it down and how to clean and maybe even do light repairs. You don't want to have to learn this after the balloon goes up. Knowledge is the true survival tool. You can't loose it. It can't be stolen. It weighs nothing and is always with you. The first thing I do with any new firearm is take it apart and check it out. I would never fire a new bought used firearm until I have done this.

For survival use you want to use the ammo that your gun likes best. My 10-22 groups best with mini mags from CCI while a Winchester that I have thinks you should only use Remington gold. The cheap stuff like the Remington Thunderbolts is fine for plinking with my revolvers but I won't use them in my lever actions or simi-autos because they seem to leave more residue.

For little guys you just can't beat the little bolt actions like the Crickets and such. They don't cock when you work the bolt like big boy bolt actions do. You have to manually pull the firing rod back manually . I have one for my Granddaughter and when my little Danni gets a little older we will start shooting together. I let her shoot a little now but at 4 she need total attention and control.

Her Mama was shooting 44mag handguns by the time she was 6. If you start them early they tend to LIKE the loud noises and recoil. All kids used to like firecrackers and anything that bounced them around. She always liked BIG guns. At the time I was a FFL gunsmith and dealer so she got to play with some really cool handguns. When she was 9 I thought I was going to just HAVE to get her a Tec 9. That is a little 9mm that looked like a sub-machine gun. She got to shoot one that I had replace an extractor on and it was love at first bang...She settled for a Ruger Single 6 Convertible 22LR/22mag single action handgun.

I have used a Ruger MK I, II, III 22/45 and other variations so long and they have been so solid and accurate for an off the shelf arm I see no reason to change.

Ruger 10/22 is the only 22 rifle I would own for a few reasons removable variable size magazine capability  fair accuracy and accessories are endless.

in my area not equal to others I would opt for a 357 mag pistol as a backup for larger game and more power if I have to drag all my sh*t on foot.

I think I already posted that you can carry a 10/22 and a MK ? Ruger pistol  a few bricks of ammo for the same weight as a single center fire rifle with a scope and  a couple of boxes of rifle ammo and no option of a less powered weapon you do not want to use a 308 on smaller game.

and a shotgun unless in bear and larger game areas is much heavier because of the ammo weighing 2 ounces each APP.

I did like the Savage 24 in 223 12 ga configuration using inserts you could fire 22LR but you would still need a semi auto pistol.

or 22 magnum and 20 gauge is another option BUT good consistent 22 mag is harder to find very expensive 20 gauge is not nearly as plentiful as 12

so a person would have to plan for that.

they build so many weird arms and i cannot figure why they always miss the mark I would build a over and under with either 5.56 or 308 over a  12 gauge with a long picatinny rail bird shot buck and slugs with the 308  range 100 to 300 yards 2 MOA minimum.

I am not a 5.56 fan BUT more ammo is around for 5.56 than 308 / 7.62X.51 and a skull shot with a FMJ is all any large game needs.

it is always a balancing act power performance weight and last but most important ammo availability  even in hard times.

so here is my revised list because of ammo supply.

9mm  5.56 / 223  12 ga. and 308 / 7.62 until enough 22 ammo hits the market or you have a bunch I would pass for now.

you can get 22 conversions for a few semi auto pistols that may be a thought.

9MM is nothing more than a 38 special or a 38 +P in a semi auto cartridge it has its limits but bullet tech is making it more appealing.

in urban situations a 9MM carbine and a pistol might be a solution a pellet gun for small game.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/08/29/300-yard-pistol-shot/

I do not like this either but if we are prepping for a long term or civil problem we need to be concerned where are next clean drink,  meal and mag of ammo is going to come from.

I think all of these suck as choices but at some time I have to face reality crunch the numbers and accept the answer that 9MM & 5.56 are the most plentiful calibers on the face of the earth only because they are nato standard,

IF I were in an area where another caliber like 7.62X39 was I would adjust my list but that is not the case.

I have used a Ruger MK I, II, III 22/45 and other variations so long and they have been so solid and accurate for an off the shelf arm I see no reason to change.

Ruger 10/22 is the only 22 rifle I would own for a few reasons removable variable size magazine capability  fair accuracy and accessories are endless.

in my area not equal to others I would opt for a 357 mag pistol as a backup for larger game and more power if I have to drag all my sh*t on foot.

I think I already posted that you can carry a 10/22 and a MK ? Ruger pistol  a few bricks of ammo for the same weight as a single center fire rifle with a scope and  a couple of boxes of rifle ammo and no option of a less powered weapon you do not want to use a 308 on smaller game.

and a shotgun unless in bear and larger game areas is much heavier because of the ammo weighing 2 ounces each APP.

I did like the Savage 24 in 223 12 ga configuration using inserts you could fire 22LR but you would still need a semi auto pistol.

or 22 magnum and 20 gauge is another option BUT good consistent 22 mag is harder to find very expensive 20 gauge is not nearly as plentiful as 12

so a person would have to plan for that.

they build so many weird arms and i cannot figure why they always miss the mark I would build a over and under with either 5.56 or 308 over a  12 gauge with a long picatinny rail bird shot buck and slugs with the 308  range 100 to 300 yards 2 MOA minimum.

I am not a 5.56 fan BUT more ammo is around for 5.56 than 308 / 7.62X.51 and a skull shot with a FMJ is all any large game needs.

it is always a balancing act power performance weight and last but most important ammo availability  even in hard times.

so here is my revised list because of ammo supply.

9mm  5.56 / 223  12 ga. and 308 / 7.62 until enough 22 ammo hits the market or you have a bunch I would pass for now.

you can get 22 conversions for a few semi auto pistols that may be a thought.

9MM is nothing more than a 38 special or a 38 +P in a semi auto cartridge it has its limits but bullet tech is making it more appealing.

in urban situations a 9MM carbine and a pistol might be a solution a pellet gun for small game.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/08/29/300-yard-pistol-shot/

I do not like this either but if we are prepping for a long term or civil problem we need to be concerned where are next clean drink,  meal and mag of ammo is going to come from.

I think all of these suck as choices but at some time I have to face reality crunch the numbers and accept the answer that 9MM & 5.56 are the most plentiful calibers on the face of the earth only because they are nato standard,

IF I were in an area where another caliber like 7.62X39 was I would adjust my list but that is not the case.

I have no idea what you just said.........but it was interesting. Of all things, I know nothing/little about guns and calibers. So, I ordered a book online to read more basics.

I'm with you on the Ruger 22 auto pistols. I've shot a Mk2 with the 6 7/8" barrel for years and it is almost as good of a small game getter as the 10-22. To tell you the truth I used to be a bit of a Ruger collector and fanatic. I shot silhouette with a Blackhawk 357/9mm convertible.  I always wanted to get the 9mm cylinder bored out for the 357-44 B&D magnum. A much improved Security 6 357 mag is my weapon of choice for personal carry. It may not have the high ammo capacity of the 9mm autos might be nice I will shoot you once or twice and it will be over. I don't do the spray and pray so I don't need  the capacity. I prefer the stopping power over the capacity. As it turned out the 40 S&W is only slightly better than the 9mm.

At first the 40 S&W was a hotter round but there were complaints about the recoil in the 9mm framed autos and the extra recoil made for a short working life and police departments didn't like that. They had to either use a heavier frame or down load the round...they downloaded the round. I personally thought the Bren 10 was the best compromise but then I'm not bothered by recoil nor mind the extra weight of the weapons made for these hotter rounds. Before the Ruger Security 6 came out I carried and shot an N framed model 28 S&W with a 4" barrel. I also liked the model 57 S&W in the 41 mag with a 6" barrel a lot too.

damn I got so lucky a friend had a 9MM / 357 blackhawk his family member pawned it and all he had left was the 9MM cylinder blued

I got a stainless old model vaquero, IT DROPPED IN to my surprise and indexed perfectly on all bores of the cylinder.

I tested it and it was a shooter not great as it shot dirty I am guessing that the difference in bore diameter allows for some blow by.

It shoots a bit low as the 9mm is lighter and faster.

The great part was he gave it to me i paid him back later I gave him a knife he liked I had.

I am looking for a barrel to convert from 22LR to 22 MAG just for grins I do not want to spend a bunch as the reamer go no-go gauges  rental on top of a barrel cost makes it something to consider for total cost of the conversion.

Once finished you still are unsure of how it may shoot if it is a bust money in the sh*tter.

If I can get my shop reorganized It's a mess,  I was going to do a bayonet lug adapter on a shotgun.

I have plenty of projects just not enough time.

Would you opt for a Ruger 10/22 Rimfire 22LR, or 

a  Ruger 10/22 Rimfire with a 22 WMR?

OR, would you opt for the Ruger 10/22 Rimfire 17 HMR?

And why? Which ammo is easiest to get?

Also, would you opt for the Ruger 10/22 with or without a threaded barrel?

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRimfireCompact/models.html

This is what I am looking at.

Thanks!

I like 22 LR... you don't need a threaded barrel unless you are going to put a suppressor or silencer on it which depending on the state your in maybe illegal or require a license...

I have heard good things about the HMR round though...

Mommieliberty

I am at a loss in present times either 22LR or 22 mag are either difficult or impossible to find in large number from a quality manufacturer.

the only draw back to 22 Magnum is that no 100% reliable 22 mag pistol is on the market.

It is a fine cartridge.

If I were in a position where I had to buy a semi auto rifle now I would go 5.56 / .223 a pistol a Beretta 92F only as it's mass overcomes the recoil it shoots soft for a full size pistol. at least you can get ammo for them and the recoil on either is very light.

I have to change my position as times and ammo supply changes as well as if a small frame lady and maybe teens can use either with instruction

I know I might get jumped on about the beretta 92Fbut compared to any other 9MM I have ever fired it is a easy recoiling pistol due to many factors

others have a sever muzzle whip from a light frame it does not mean a person cannot shoot them but it requires more practice more ammo and both are expensive.

I do love the 10/22 over all rimfire rifles for all it.s accessories and parts problem you need 5,000 rounds in rimfire as in hard scrabble times where would you get ammo ?  it is the best option if you have to bug out weight is great and you could carry a couple thousand rounds on foot you cannot do that with 5.56 /.223

I posted weight of .308 5.56/.223 22LR and 12 gauge obviously 22LR wins and looses in power but in a serious situation people will not risk injury with no possibility of getting emergency services / medical care unless the payoff out weights the risk criminals are stupid but not that stupid.

Same with shotgun ammo it would evaporate in no time except maybe bird shot.

If you could find plenty of CCI HV (1,235 feet per second) 40 grain copper plated solids or if anyone here could give an opinion on present available 22 LR ammo and prices.

Ammo is more important almost than the firearm  as the best pistol  rifle or shotgun cannot shoot to it's potential if the ammo is crap.

Back to another consideration one of the arms rifle or pistol needs to be a semi auto any other is not able to sustain and quick reload to effect suppression fire you have to be able to put enough lead in the air to put peoples face in the dirt, so you also need many magazines,

one liners cannot possibly all events that may require specific tactics and weapons for defense.

counting on a nifty weapon does not guaranty success. 

in my mind it is better to know limitations and avoid contact as we would not be A police, military or an assault force merely looking to defend protect and hold what we considered dear.

many disparage the 5.56 / 223 with ball ammo it is a different critter than using hunting and varmint ammo  no decision is perfect all anyone can do is deal with and use whit they have with tactics that utilizes all it's potential IMHO.

Mommieliberty

I am at a loss in present times either 22LR or 22 mag are either difficult or impossible to find in large number from a quality manufacturer.

the only draw back to 22 Magnum is that no 100% reliable 22 mag pistol is on the market.

It is a fine cartridge.

If I were in a position where I had to buy a semi auto rifle now I would go 5.56 / .223 a pistol a Beretta 92F only as it's mass overcomes the recoil it shoots soft for a full size pistol. at least you can get ammo for them and the recoil on either is very light.

I have to change my position as times and ammo supply changes as well as if a small frame lady and maybe teens can use either with instruction

I know I might get jumped on about the beretta 92Fbut compared to any other 9MM I have ever fired it is a easy recoiling pistol due to many factors

others have a sever muzzle whip from a light frame it does not mean a person cannot shoot them but it requires more practice more ammo and both are expensive.

I do love the 10/22 over all rimfire rifles for all it.s accessories and parts problem you need 5,000 rounds in rimfire as in hard scrabble times where would you get ammo ?  it is the best option if you have to bug out weight is great and you could carry a couple thousand rounds on foot you cannot do that with 5.56 /.223

I posted weight of .308 5.56/.223 22LR and 12 gauge obviously 22LR wins and looses in power but in a serious situation people will not risk injury with no possibility of getting emergency services / medical care unless the payoff out weights the risk criminals are stupid but not that stupid.

Same with shotgun ammo it would evaporate in no time except maybe bird shot.

If you could find plenty of CCI HV (1,235 feet per second) 40 grain copper plated solids or if anyone here could give an opinion on present available 22 LR ammo and prices.

Ammo is more important almost than the firearm  as the best pistol  rifle or shotgun cannot shoot to it's potential if the ammo is crap.

Back to another consideration one of the arms rifle or pistol needs to be a semi auto any other is not able to sustain and quick reload to effect suppression fire you have to be able to put enough lead in the air to put peoples face in the dirt, so you also need many magazines,

one liners cannot possibly all events that may require specific tactics and weapons for defense.

counting on a nifty weapon does not guaranty success. 

in my mind it is better to know limitations and avoid contact as we would not be A police, military or an assault force merely looking to defend protect and hold what we considered dear.

many disparage the 5.56 / 223 with ball ammo it is a different critter than using hunting and varmint ammo  no decision is perfect all anyone can do is deal with and use whit they have with tactics that utilizes all it's potential IMHO.

I already like semi-auto weapons.

Snake, any thoughts on the Ruger 10/22 Rimfire with 17 HMR?

If I'm reading you correctly, you like both the 22LR and the 22WMR, but they are hard to get right now since they are so popular? And, when you mean mass quantities, what do you mean by that? Multiple thousands of rounds?

17 HMR is too powerful for small game turn a squirrel into a red stain so head shots are mandatory.

22 magnum has this same problem but can take medium size game but not legally now rimfire is not allowed for larger game.

now this is turning into a nursery rhyme of the three calibers 22LR 40 grain HV is just right. not standard velocity or hyper works as well.

You do need 5,000 rounds there abouts for any long term use. I used to shoot that a year if a serious event happens I will only use it as needed.

any primary weapon requires lots of ammo and some consideration to reloading a caliber like 38/357msg  44spl/44mag etc

I use a drop pouch semi auto brass gets lost a lot

I'd not bother. Instead, get .22lr conversion units for your pistol and rifle, from Ciener firearms. they are not considered by law to be a gun, so they can be shipped in the mail to anyone. The 1022 doesn't handle like any fighting rifle. But the .22 unit in the AR, minus the 223 silencer and with the flashhider, handles just like the 223 with the silencer. Same trigger pull, sights, safety, mag release.  You can't carry both a centerfire  rifle and .22lr rifle and the needed pack of goodies.  But you dont need to settle for having just a .22 lr, either. The caliber swap takes just 10 seconds. the grouping is 2" at 50 yds or better, sometimes much better, and the POI difference is always 2" or less at 50 yds. I just zero the "long range" wing of the AR's peep sight at 200 yds, and cut a v notch into the "normal range" wing. I build up jb weld epoxy "ears" on the modified peep and then file on the epoxy with a 3 cornered file until it's zeroed at 50 yds with the .22 unit.  if you need the 223, you can always either just flip up the other wing of the sight after the caliber swap, or if in a really big hurry, being 2" off at 50 yds wont matter.