Sign in to follow this  
MommyLiberty5013

Ammo Storage

I have to apologize in advance. This is an exceptionally rookie question, but I need to ask it.

Can different manufacturer's brands of ammo be stored in the same storage container AS LONG AS they have the exact same specs?

For example, if I have rounds from ABC company and they are 1234 type and I also have 1234 type rounds from DEF and GHI companies, can I put all three companies' ammo together in the same box out of there manufacturers' labeled packaging?

Thanks!

P.S. And, while I am asking ammo questions are there ammo manufacturers to steer clear of? Maybe their product isn't very good quality? If yes, which ones?

I might be a rookie too....I think its safe to store ammo that has the same specs/caliber even if from a different manufacuturer you may get different results in your firing of said ammo which wouldn't be great but it is safe...

I don't like thunderbolt ammo for 22's as it seems to jam to much I prefer cci...

You can store any and all brands AND types together from a safety standpoint. The thing is that you need to be aware of what you are shooting when you USE the ammo. If you mix brands when you are shooting you will not have a dependable accuracy because each load is different. If you are going to hunt with say a 3o-30 you need to decide what round you are going to hunt with and THAT is the ammo you want to use to sight in the rifle.

Even in the same brand the different bullet weights will cause the bullet to hit in a different place. Hunting accuracy, plinking accuracy and target shooting accuracy are three different things. When I'm plinking I will often mix the ammo. For hunting I will use a good brand for the prep and the hunting while target shooting where I want all the bullets in the same hole it's going to be reloads.

I store my ammo together but in separate boxes by brand, caliber and bullet weight.

I use military ammo cans and have for each caliber and stencil them I have stored ammo for as long as 30 years with no effect on the ammo.

one of the best ways to keep organized is to have the rifle on top of the ammo can so when you grab one you pick up the coresponding ammo can.

as far as brands I stick with certain ones but as I have not needed to search out for any all the ammo I use are mostly now hard to find.

Do some reearch on the net I stick with major brands for centerfire winchester remington BUT you have to try them in your weapons some shoot great and for no reason at all poorly in other weapons.

Once you find the best brand bullet weight and style stick with it.

As far as 22 long rifle I am with wally 40 grain copper plated solids CCI 1235 FPS because all my stuff is sighted in for that.

Now it is like chickens teeth to find If you do buy try to get all the same copper plated 40 grain and high velocity not ultra or standard.

Federal seems to be popular here as you can find it but you cannot find more than a brick or 2 for my thinking that is not near enough.

1000 per caliber except 22 probably 5 K is better minimum 5 magazines  per and you need web gear holsters and pouches for all this you cannot be effective if your not organized or digging in your pockets of loose shells and if things are not contained they will be lost 

steel ammo cans are important as anything in your preps if it is all in cardboard boxes stacke on a shelf your not going to be able to grab more than a couple before they start falling everywhere.

if your needing to move fast military ammo cans not plastic look alikes IMO.

Mommy,

Keep ALL ammo, clean, DRY and in a cool place free from significant humidity. I'm NOT a fan of PMC ammo, while cheap., it's FILTHY. Just my personal experience. I favor surplus or polycarbonate "ammo cans". These both have excellent RUBBER  gaskets that keep the boxes air and water tight. Ammo if kept securely can last longer than OUR lifetimes with NO issues whatsoever.

The polycarbonate boxes, are lighter and will not rust. In your big box or sporting goods retailers(especially online) ALWAYS have good sales on the empty ones, in particular,m MTM brand of ammo box I see on sale all the time.

Always check the rubber gaskets for pliability and fit before purchasing the ammo can, surplus OR new!

Also, you CAN mix and match ANY caliber for storage. The only thing that WILL change from lot to lot, is Point of Impact with Point of Aim. Which is WHY the posts above specifiy sighting in your chosen rifle and handgun(for defensive purposes) with a specific brand, bullet weight. POI, POA WILL differ between lots of the same brand and caliber.

Hope this helps, and NEVER be concerned about "rookie questions"! This is the last time you get the "Uncle TP" admonishment. We are all in this together and ALL of us are rookies in something! :D

Wisdom ALWAYS starts with questions. If you don't ask you stay ignorant. The real trick though is picking and choosing who you listen to. Opinions are like armpits, we all have them and some of them stink. Get opinions from as many as possible then always do a little research for yourself.