Sign in to follow this  
Ready?4What?

Celebration Time!!!

Well, I guess that I will get this section kicked off with some great news! I got a job today! I've been unemployed for about 6 months, after getting laid off due to company downsizing. Thanks Obama, your healthcare really helped me out! Anyway, I got a second interview this morning and a call back this afternoon with an offer.

Being unemployed was really starting to wear on me emotionally. The feeling of worthlessness and no one wanting you was getting bad. I never let it show in front of my wife. Fortunatly she was very supportive and makes good money, we we were not starving.

Anyway, I thought I would get this section kicked off and share the good news. Let the prepping resume!!!

Guest zen811

Congratulations! No small feat in this economy. A huge company in this neck of the woods just shut down (Chapter 11) leaving about 1500 people out of work. This town has has some major losses in the last couple of years leaving about 4K people out of work.

Having a job really helps with prepping! Not having a job doesn't preclude prepping but definitely makes you get more creative. I know this firsthand moving from short term contract to short term contract, you never know when your luck is going to run out...

I was reading just this past weekend that the average time unemployed was a little over 9 months right now. I was laid off 6 months ago yesterday. So I am ahead of the curve. :-)

My prepping didn't stop until about 2 months ago. I just plain ran out of money and stuff started getting behind. now I have to catch a few bill up. I figure I'll be full force back into prepping by years end. Hopefully by then, I can get my second house sold. Got married last year and we were both homeowners. Used my "time off" to do some repairs and remodeling on the house for sale. That will be a HUGE relief if I can get rid of that. Fortunatley, I'm not upside down in it.

I have been telling myself that I was going to buy an AR with my tax check for about 5 years. Every year something always came up. This year I was adamant! Nothing was going to stop me. I filed, and before I got my check... BAM! Unemployed! Still didn't stop me from buying that AR. I said I was going to do it and I did! Cant afford to shoot it much, but I have one!

Congratz man! Its good to hear a happy story for once, most people lose there jobs lol

As for me i'm unemployed and am going to be joining the national guard, which is a huge risk because if TEOTWAWKI its likely going to be in 2012-2020 but not many other choices right now. Besides, a gun, free food, training, and more, thats the upside. Although it kinda is like "I'm with the government, heres some money" but atleast im working for it. We don't have enough money to start up a war so I think im set.

Ready?4What?,

Congratulations, sir. I empathise; I was out of work for 6 months several decades ago. At the time my wife and I had 3 small kids. It was tough on the old ego to have friends from church helping to feed my family and buying Christmas presents for the kids. I'm a very proud man but I did learn a tad bit of humility from that experience. That first paycheck sure does feel good. Again, congratulations and well done.

DefaultHuman,

Depending on your history, the guard can be a great way to get the training that will stand you in good stead for the rest of your life. Not just combat stuff, of course, but with what ever specialty you wind up in. There wasn't a lot of call for Pershing Missile Battery Commanders after I got off active duty, but flying helicopters was a plus. Good luck to you, sir.

Edited by Capt Bart

Thank for the replies guys. I'm 2 days in and going strong. Really tired tonight. It's amazing how much stamina I lost in those 6 months. And I wasn't just sitting on the couch, I was doing all kinds of things around the house as well as my normal outdoors activities, including kayaking.

Yeah, I applied to hundreds, I heard back from 2! Funny thing, while searching for jobs, there were ALOT of interesting jobs listed that fit my specialty (inventory control). When I would open the link and look, they were for the Guard. haha. I would like to have applied, but am too old to join. I think the cutoff is 35 if you have no prior service or someting like that. I would have really liked the free training, actually getting paid to train.

I have been out of work for over a year now. Lost my job because of downsizing too. I am over 50 so finding a job is not as easy for me as before. In the past I have never been without a job for longer than two weeks tops. Now with over 30 years experience I find myself having to look at jobs that pay 1/4 of my last position.I am not too proud to take those jobs, I just don't know how I am going to pay my bills. One lucky thing for me is that I have no Credit Card Debt, no car payment or house payment and no other loans.

Oh FYI, unless the company asks you, DO NOT tell them how much you made in your last position. They won't hire you for a $10 an hour position when you made $30 per hour in your last position..... I can see their point I suppose. Why hire me when they know I might be able to find a higher paying job later and leave

I have been out of work for over a year now. Lost my job because of downsizing too. I am over 50 so finding a job is not as easy for me as before. In the past I have never been without a job for longer than two weeks tops. Now with over 30 years experience I find myself having to look at jobs that pay 1/4 of my last position.I am not too proud to take those jobs, I just don't know how I am going to pay my bills.

Tex,

I have a friend that is in the same position. He's been out of work for almost 3 years now but he is about 10 years older than you. He says the hardest thing for him to do is answer the question "Where do you see yourself in 10 years?" He would love to answer that with "Sitting on the couch drinking a beer."

The worst part for him is that he has one child going to college next year and another in two years. I feel for everyone that is suffering from this crap. I wonder how that "change" is going for everyone now?

Good luck

You guys are in my prayers. Back in the early 80's I went from $70K plus a year to $20K. That hurt - I was changing career fields, I'd been out of work for 6 months and I needed the job. I promised them I would work for them for one year minimum. 6 weeks after I took the job (Phoenix PD computer type) I got an offer to be a test pilot for Sikorsky at $100K. Saying no to Sikorsky was tougher than being out of work but I'd given my word. Turned out to be the best for me as the next year a hurricane destroyed the plant and put everyone out of work but at the time .......

Got a job, effin finally! Three cheers for making half what I used to make.... oh wait thats the part that sucks, well what are gonna do. Good benefits, good people, and its nice that full time means 40hrs vs 55+. Days and weekends off so I can still hang out with my boy, shouldn't complain but I might. Place seems nice, I'm overqualified for what I am doing (currently), let the hostile takeover begin! I mean, It's nice to be back to work, and I have no plans what so ever for rapid promotion/raise. That's just not me. Due to my new co-workers I might even be able to learn a new language or two. Mandarin or Cantonese? What did Pae Mei prefer in Kill Bill? If I had to pick one fictional role model, I think it would be him, or Hank Hill, probably Hank, more down to earth.

Got a job, effin finally! Three cheers for making half what I used to make.... oh wait thats the part that sucks, well what are gonna do. Good benefits, good people, and its nice that full time means 40hrs vs 55+. Days and weekends off so I can still hang out with my boy, shouldn't complain but I might. Place seems nice, I'm overqualified for what I am doing (currently), let the hostile takeover begin! I mean, It's nice to be back to work, and I have no plans what so ever for rapid promotion/raise. That's just not me. Due to my new co-workers I might even be able to learn a new language or two. Mandarin or Cantonese? What did Pae Mei prefer in Kill Bill? If I had to pick one fictional role model, I think it would be him, or Hank Hill, probably Hank, more down to earth.

Congratulations, sir. Sounds like a decent place to work. The cut in pay is really tough to handle at first but as long as you can live on it and you have the benefits for your family it is better than the $0 an hour you had while unemployed.

Congrats to all those that are fortunate enough to actually find something out there to provide. I am, however, finding it rather difficult to adjust back into the civilian world, oh well.

Congrats to all those that are fortunate enough to actually find something out there to provide. I am, however, finding it rather difficult to adjust back into the civilian world, oh well.

Jace,

when I retired out of the Army and went back to school it was a SHOCK! There were no NCOs to keep all those hippie type civilians in line. Lord but I missed my senior NCOs.