• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MommyLiberty5013

MommyLiberty5013

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 01:58 PM

Hi All,

We are low on ground space, so we've been reading up on vertical gardening and came across a book about growing potatoes in wooden towers.

Anyone have experience with this?

The idea is that as the potato plant grows, you hill the soil up around the stem and the plant produces more and more spuds in the root system. As you add soil to the top, you also add higher sides to your potato box, so your plant elongates in the soil and the wooden sides move up with it and the soil level.

I know that having the soil properly aerated is key and that you also have to grow a late season potato variety to be successful. In theory you're supposed to be able to get many pounds of potatoes from one wooden tower.

I watched a bunch of YouTube videos of people harvesting their vertical potato crops and all were busts and only got around 8 spuds total. Pretty disappointing for all the work to buy or build a wooden tower/container. Some people realize they had too compacted soil and also not the late season varieties.

Have any of you had success growing potatoes in wooden towers using correct soil and potato varieties?

• wally, Galendip, Brantfat and 5 others like this
Mommy knows best.

#2 P210SIG

P210SIG

• Members
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:30 PM

I have not done any vertical gardening as of yet.
The idea has crossed my mind to build one this spring.
I do plant potatos during the spring summer & fall months ,
Mainly on trail paths that I walk my dog with at night time.
Most city folks don"t know what potato plant looks like, which is ok by me.
Been doing night stealth gardening for about 5 years now.
I feel like Johnny Apple seed in a way. LOL .
A lot of time & energy has been spent doing this in my part,
I hope I'll have enough potatoes when the time comes when it's needed.
It's one of my back up food stores for just in case.
I sow to reap the rewards for the future. Amen.
  • wally and MommyLiberty5013 like this

#3 juzcallmesnake

juzcallmesnake

• Members
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:51 AM

I have found that old tires stacked 3 high make a good raised bed / projectile barrier dual purpose as well as could be used to funnel

any unwanted visitors like the isles of store should be to allow the clerk to monitor the people and not give them protection.

if your worried about any leaching, don't corporate allow much worse to be spread on their fields for a price so you have already

eaten much worse than you know.

you can allow the plant to break the soil and add a tire and more dirt if you mix the dirt with grass clippings leaves straw.

this helps add nitrogen to the soil and if you mix it well a loose soil and that allows larger taters to grow tight soil can restrict maximum growth.

once the potatoes have become mature tip over the tires and free your taters with a 4 tine rake they don't seem to make them anymnore

yuppies have no friggin' idea of tools,  but I digress a regular fork damages the taters and this means loss from insects and drying or brown spot.

the more perfect any food item is when it is stored processed or dried the better the end result.

the natural cup inside the tire sidewall prevents absolute dry soil and yet the opening allows good drainage.

for people with some medical issues this also limits bending and stooping keeps the plant high enough to inspect and I use sevin dust "IF" insects become an issue.

A bit off topic but still gardening hints

the X with a cross bar / post is good for runner type vegetables so I would use treated stud length 2X4's cut in half or even whole and  use 4 bolts or

screws so they cannot collaspse and bury the lower part about a foot .

you can just lay another 2X4 across 2 and that  gives you almost 8 foot of climbing space for each added X gives you another 8 foot

Once the runner cover the crosses and bars you should not have a problem with falling if you place them between 2 rows leaving a wal between successive rows you can almost double your yeild.

this also can be used as tangle foot and a protective barrier, everythig can be used as a defense and not look so obvious.

• wally likes this

Been there done that and used the T-shirt for a bandage!

#4 bob leeper

bob leeper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 03:16 AM

i love this idea. i used raised beds cold frames and hay bales to grow my veggies in .. wonderful

#5 juzcallmesnake

juzcallmesnake

• Members
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:14 AM

good to see you bob (posting)

I have recently (6 months ago) got some multiplying onions from a friend I had a problem finding them in stock when I would order they would be out.

In these 6 months they have about tripled in number come spring I will divide them and replant it is my intention to have a plot of these 10 X 50 .

I am also interested in raised bed potatoes I have had mixed results using different methods this last year with all the rain was a real trial all my plants in 15 gallon pots with rabbit manure did very well ground garden did poorly as too much water had some negative effects.

I think this year I will concentrate on onions small area of  potatoes tomatoes and okra these I have had more success than others elements.

Red potatoes are my favorite I do not think others are better or worse I just like new potatoes and white gravy w/ green beans and slivered bacon.

Been there done that and used the T-shirt for a bandage!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq