Sign in to follow this  
DC Matt

Binoculars

Not sure if this is the right place, so feel free to move it.

In my opinion, binoculars are a great addition to your BoB or any other survival kit. It gives you the advantage of checking out what's ahead (or behind you) without getting to close, etc. While lots of folks will have scoped rifles with them, everyone won't and there are times you don't want to display that long barrel.

Currently I have an inexpensive pair that are now 10+ years old. I'm interested in getting a new pair, but don't really have that much experience in this area. I'm looking for something solid, that has a good field of range and is small enough to keep in a BoB. Any recommendations or suggestions?

I'm in the same position. The only pair I have are great but they are a regular size which are kind bulky. I'm not sure of brand or anything but I"m just going to get a small field pair somewhere for hopefully not too much money...will keep you guys informed what I find

I've been looking for just a single eyepiece that is no longer than my hand. Have seen some in videos but have never found one. I'm going to the gun show today and am planning on looking their.

Edited by meddle2243

matt i agree about the binoculars. i have a small pair that i keep in my fishing tackle bag for when i hit the beach doing some shark fishing looking for bait running.

they will be making their was to the BOB soon. they will be replaced with anti fog glasses as soon as money allows.

Meddle, does the view through that single lens feel too narrow? I like the idea of its size but would worry the view would feel to tunnel vision. Of course I DIY have any experimce with mono lenses, besides a scope.

Hopefully after Christmas I'll have more time and money to look around for a good pair. I'll let y'all know what I find.

I agree with Binos. My problem is that i have only ever found two sets that I could look through with both eyes. One was the Steiner binos we had in the Marines, and if I had the $500, i would so get a pair. They are overly crisp, and the ones i used somep how didn't need to be adjusted for the eyes, they just worked. The others are the cheapos I have now that my grandma gave me. i would like to get a good spotting scope, as it would take up less space, and has better magnification (I have seen some that have upwards of 20x). Any thoughts on those anyone?

Hey Delta I agree Sportmansguide.com is a great place to shop...I do alot of shopping there and I have equipped my BOB with many items from there.....But getting back the issue at hand I have a set of Bushnell Bino's that I bought at the PX/BX in Fort Knox Ky a few years back and they work great

Nice recommendations. I always hear good things about the bushnells. My uncle swears by a European rand, can't remember the name. Will try to find out and post it here.

I'm still planning to go with binocs, but a spotting scope sounds great too. Tough call.