Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
P210SIG

Thieving little critters at night.

14 posts in this topic

A few days back, I was attending to my garden.

When I noticed, almost all of my peaches & cream corn plants were eaten or destroyed.

They were ready to be harvested.

I viewed the video footage, sure enough it was a family of 5 raccoons that raided my garden.

It was perfect timing for these little bandits that consumed my corn.

This has never happened before as I've grown corn for many years now.

My assumption is that food is becoming scarce & these hungry little coons needed a meal.

I'm a bit upset about this, as I've spent many hours tending to my garden.

Just a rant in my part to let off some steam.

Theirs next year to sow my corn seeds & begin the process again. LOL.

I can not shoot them in my neighborhood in the city, do to by-laws.

Anyone have ideas to protect my corn from raccoons would be helpful.

Having innoculated a number of raccoons with RWS pellet rifles, with little to no affect, on the thieves, I second the wrist rocket applicaiton,. It works far better than stining their butts with a pellet moving at 1200 fps. They DO get the message. One has to be vigilant, because they are evil capricious creatures who will keep on coming to get those goodies. it is what they do, after all.

You may want to try a electric fence....run three strands 4'' 8'' 12'' and either soak the ground under the fence or make the center wire a ground  (be sure it is attached to a good ground). 

this is about the only real way you have to sleep and you can't be pacing the garden al night that would make neighbors in a anti neighborhood real

concerned and I am sure they care about the critters way more than you or your rights or your friggin corn I bet they would tell you< "just buy it"

don't tell anyone what it is make sure your garden has another fence because if a kid gets in it your going to jail.

another way is motion sensor lights and tangle foot with some cans or bells w/  coyote urine / scent the best trap for a coon is a dog proof trap

they puttheir hand in and will not let go and the trap sets and catches their hand I would get a recipe for coon as they only get worse if there is a food source but you can keep them down to a minimum.

this is one of many problems with the grow your own food scenario weather pests insects and some mold or blight and your a starvin marvin untill next

season, so if people could go without eating for 12 month that would not be so bad.

my advice is have a few ways like a hot house a garden and a roof of an out building with a bucket garden and some animals like chickens or rabbits pigeons or dove even guiennea pigs to trade for garden goods as if there is any way murphy can screw you up he will.

wally likes this

I had a problem in my rabbit pen and it was larger than a rat trap could handle so I used a flat spring trap with a sardine and finally caught it it was a opossum we just call them possums.

he was ticked but he got over it I reset it and I hope to "find" something else, well not really but we never know.

Coliri .22 ammunition made by Aguila is available and works VERY well on LARGE raccoons. It also is far more quiet than any of our RWS air rifles...

it won't cycle semi-auto, but in semi-auto handguns and rifles it still works ala' single shot.

Bolt actions are superb for the Colibri ammo.

Yea TPSnodgrass I keep a brick on hand of the colibri's and have a single shot break open for huntin' & peckin'.

I figured that in a time when I needed quiet these like you say are as quiet as a pellet rifle I could use them from my window and bait in small game like tree rats and coons like sardines I just use the oil and eat the sardines.

my furthest shot would be 30 foot I also advize people to have CB shorts as well as any other 22 rim fire rounds work in any single shot or bolt action one at a time revolvers it has a cylinder gap and that equals noise in a rifle they are fairly quiet

I do not understand but the price is almost the same for shorts or any other length of 22 now of days some more expensive it is crazy.

back in the day there were CB BB's, CB's, shorts, longs, long rifle in standard, high, hyper, and ultra high velocities now your lucky to find quality rimfire ammo at a decent price.

Old bacon grease or any oil from food can be used with hard bread in a trap you do not have to use T-Bone steak.

The nice thing about traps is they are passive you do not have to be present to win.

If people set a trap you need to check it or else it will go to waste or bring in predators.

A bird bath with a hardware cloth can to hold old bread hung over it and birds will love it, you can glue a dish on the bottom and it can hold bird seed of course the squirrels will attack it.

i took a large rat  trap and poured bacon grease on it , strung steel cable to it and bolted it into a cement block ..used multiple traps and caught seven of those little thieves within a 2 month period..just outside my garden... this summer.. .. they stuggle like heck for the first minite or so, and i go out with the 177 and knock em off with a well placed shot, if i spot them.. one thing though. las t critter i caught kind of ruined the whole plan..sprayed its mess (SKUNK) and my tomatoes all stink ...i shoulda known better with all the chicken houses in the area..

juzcallmesnake likes this