Sign in to follow this  
heavy chevy

car Survival tool

So this sunday on the US 101 I saw a bad accident involving about 4-6 cars. It looked bad but no one appeared to be seriously injured. I was thinking about stuff and then I started to think what type of Tool/weapon do I keep in my vehicle. For example I carry a USGI folding shovel in my truck, a claw hammer, and a camp hatchet. They could also be formable weapons if I needed to use them to defend myself, or they could help me save someone by either digging their vehicle out or breaking their window in case of a fire or they passed out after an accident which happens more often that people think. So yeah, A hammer is my first choice a nicer beefy framing hammer would be a good choice or a camp axe for sure.

So the question

What do you carry? Picture would be nice.

Side story. I often carry a huge wrench the kind to take off the trailer hitch ball its massive. car tire replacement kits don't have tire irons like before now they are cheap and flimsy. 

I use to want to carry the Stanley FUBAR tool. I still do but I use to too.

I have a folding knife that was given to me that has a seat belt cutter & a glass breaker built in the back of the handle.

A  ASP baton would work breaking glass as well.

Got a Stanley Fubar tool in my vehicle also.

In California, collapsible "batons" like ASP and others, without a "baton permit" make you an instant felon. So, no batons for me. However, I also carry a hammer, Estwing hatchet and an assortment of Stanley pry bars, have used them to pop a door or two at accidents in the past. I also put in two canisters of bear spray, every time we travel, because "we are going to bear country" wherever it is, we are traveling....that's MY story. In addition, I've got some rather strong high intensity flashlights, legal in all 50 states and they are also effective  "impact" tools, for times when two-legged predators need "impacting", and yes, Virginia, they work especially well on knee joints,outstandingly well on shins, the back of the elbow(just above the ulnar nerve) and collarbone areas.(stories for another time) Never had anyone impacted NOT get the point to leave us/me alone.(mostly prior law enforcement career use)

@ sig .how do you like the Fubar tool? they look cool and fierce

I carry those keychain pepper spray in my truck bought a dozen one time on sale got them for like $5 ea.

There is a video floating around youtube of a College new reporter student who could not break a car window with a hammer. It keep sliding when he would hit the car window. He ended up cutting his hand i think. too funny video posted below.

Snake, in my past law enforcement career, I found that a.) SOME people responded well to the diplomatic use of a 12 gauge pump shotgun, b.) other people merely used that interaction as an opportunity to accelerate to Felony Factor 15 while wearing their Felony Flyer tennis shoes, c.) were totally stupid and called your bluff-this small minority of folks being rendered mortally redundant.

By way of observation, now days, I "believe" that most felons, thugs, predators, cretins gangstas, wanna-bee thugs and thugettes, societal trash, pukes, lowlifes, parolees(redundant noun use I know),subjects under the influence of controlled substances, failed MENSA candidates and the like, will most likely not be "impressed" with the sheer efficacy of the shotgun being charged/primed for use at precisely where they are habitating.

Given the large number of violent video games, films and television shows that are hopelessly unrealistic as well as infected by (CGI) computer generated graphic animation(images), the above mentioned societal detritus "beleve" what they see on the screens. So, we would be wise to make certain that when we deploy our shotguns for exigent circumstances, we mean it. This will help clarify in the minds of the afflicted, that some people are not to be trifled with, at any time.

I have a cold steel Blackthorn walking stick in my truck and a solid fiberglass one in my car. Either is basically like a baseball bat. Speaking of whitch I used to carry a BIG (32") aluminum bat, glove and softball in my truck before I had my hips replaced. Now they can't say SQUAT about my big ole walking sticks!

I also have carried a just HUGE screwdriver. It is 42" long and is a great prybar. Now I also have a Fubar that is a little like a hatchet on one end.

pump shotgun it can butt stroke open doors make a path were there is not one I am working on a bayonet  for it now

it is a diplomatic tool as you can get people to agree to anything  "I like it"

hahaha. the all-mighty shotgun and its many uses. i like that

The most important thing to remember .... have the tool in the vehicle cab and reachable by the driver.  A tool box or trunk full of useful stuff is great when you are the good guy/gal and need them to help another citizen .... however, if you are trapped in the vehicle the first thing to do is get out.  People have burned or drowned for lack of a way to get out of their vehicle.

In a world of more violence having anything less than a firearm is walking the line I do like pepper spray but strangely enough some states do not like any "chemical deterrents they look on them like chemical warfare.

I would use the bear spray large can and more than one shot and some tout 30 feet or more with good disabling also good for multiple attackers.

everyone needs to check local laws and have a copy in your glove box some police have no idea of the law or care you may beat the charge but not the ride.

Strange you can carry yard tools like a machete but if you use it to defend your committing a crime for blade length or what they call it a sword or whatever again your lawyer may get you off but that ain't cheap.

personally I could care less what people use to defend themselves shirkins / kung fu stars or a bar of soap in a sock, it seems the only people who want to limit you is the law and police as far as I understand their thinking better to investigate an innocent persons death than try to define who is the victim and even then they are perfectly happy to file charges on the defender if they do not follow every segment of the law.

I saw this happen years ago a home owner shot a burglar the dead perp fell out the window but was charge with 2nd degree because the turd was not found in the house, he went to prison this was 30 years ago now with the castle law he would have gotten a better outcome but still it depends on how left wing the D.A. in your vicinity is.

Knife laws are another of my pet peeves up close and personal there is no advantage to any type knife if your attacker is stealthy or catches you off guard.

I have noticed that knifes are dissected like a lab frog as to length double edge does not mean the full length of the blade butterfly knifes lock blade in some areas ANY knife as in air travel is illegal but by Federal law you are responsible for your safety and defense as you cannot sue if officers cannot save you.

My view carry what you want if you use it to harm or destroy persons or property then your a criminal and dealt with accordingly.

it is very apparent to me that the legal system is not concerned with YOUR safety or life any weapon concealed is a non issue it is only a weapon in play that is concerning to me.

My truck is well stocked with defense tools. I have a set of plastic brass knuckles that look like a boxer dogs head with the ears sticking straight up, my blackthorn cold steel walking stick, several knives and an ax along with one or soon to be two or three guns. I also carry an get home kit with a stove food water purification gear and assorted on the move needs like a tube tent, poncho, space blanket and such.

One gun, one club and my plastic knucks are either beside me or on the visor. The rest is in the backseat or in my tool box. It is actually pretty nice some times to be able to stop in a park get out my stove and make coffee or tea while I eat a light lunch. so the stuff has other uses too.