Sign in to follow this  
P210SIG

Load those empty brass cases now while you still have the time.

IMHO, I advice those that reload ammo do so now.

When the SHTF you will most likely be too busy watching over your dwelling both day & night.

One will not have time to reload any ammo, it will be a issue for the first month or so in my opinion.

Having stored up the components to reload is all fine an dandy, but not having enough ammo load at the time when needed is a big no no.

I could be wrong, what do I know.

The choice is yours to decide & no one else, just saying.

yea and unlike bread they do not go bad if kept in a ammo can  would only add one more previso is that you stencil and or color code

and do not fill it with more than you can carry, a large ammo can of 357's can not be handled by a young person or a petite lady.

even bricks of 22's in a lage can are heavy I like small ammo cans depending on caliber I place some cchloroplast ( plastic cardboard )

spacers in and line the carteidges up so who ever has to load is not having to orient the shells to load them it holds less but the right amount

so they are not too heavy with disicant you can take them out of electronics and other bought items save them and dry them in an oven for

about 30 minutes @ 400 degrees or on a dry day leave them in the sun on a dark rock or piesce of dark metal or your car when the

sun is waing take them off and place in whatever you want to keep dry (except food )

there are also great rust inhibitors for dies and tools like that brown sheet of paper that a smith & wesson came wrapped in

it can be found and place in a container you keep your diess and tools in..

I also keep stainless steel fine bristle brushes and 4 #0000 steel wool just in case to remove any surface rust.

of you have a LEE CASE spinner and lock nut for your caliber if any shells have corrision you can clean them with

steel wool either twisting by hand or chucking it up in a drill works on steel aluminum and brass cases.

Never place loaded rounds in a tumbler / polisher as most all powders has retardant or made to operate at original

made specifications like coal it burns great but if you powder it,  it explodes or burns so fast it is of little use for its

intended purpose.

in the case of shell powder it can become erratic in combustion and cause sometimes severe pressure spikes enough to

damage or destroy a fire arm or ruin accuracy due to shot to shot deviation  it never works in a positive or lessening effect.

deviation plays a part in accuracy that is why loading for speed high or low is not always going to necessarily going to produce 

accurate loads it is the proper sealing of the bore and a bullet with a long enough body to react to the rifling as well as the

deviation from shot to shot some powders due to many factors either powder position, temperature, or case capacity

will or will not shoot or burn evenly from shot to shot.

in extremes like cold delayed firing or in summer heat pressure spikes that is why many people think they shoot badly

ammo loaded for deer hunting in cooler weather is not always going to shoot to the same point of impact in hot weather.

that is why many people load with certain temperature insensitive powders and why companies have been changing

their powders it may be IMR 4895 BUT it may be a better one than the old one less temperature or shot to shot deviation

although it may not have changed in volume or load data,

some shells have a deviation of a couple of hundred feet a second in cold and or heat this equates to erratic groups at target.

this can also happen when the barrel heats up or is fresh cleaned or dirty if you have heard the term fouling shots this is where

people fire a few rounds to remove any residue of cleaning solutions they used some find that a powder they use requires the bore me

swabbed wet or dry of bore cleaner after X amounts of firings when heat is a factor either shoot X shots and let cool another reason

many writers tell of shooting 5 or 10 shot groups after a few fouling shots as once the barrel heats up the characteristics of the barrel

can change.

If you load lead or cast bullets make sure you know your bullet lube some can kill powder I use XLOX a version of ALOX from lee

once dried it does not effect powder whatever lube you use do an internet search and find out what bench and target shooters use or say

about certain lubes once loaded leave them in a cool area on the floor if you will notice heat rises fire departments are usually very quick

and if your can is on the floor it just may survive.

Loaded ammo last many many years especially if in a air tight container ( ammo can) made for storing.

powder as log as it's container is sealed and or not rusted out tins and or dry it can last as long as you will.

shotgun shells need to be alternated ome layer brass to one side another layer brass to the other