Sign in to follow this  
Danm

Survival essays

These are a series of essays that I've written. I have lead a rather odd life and experienced a lot of things that most people did ever deal with. My Dad believed that sufficiency meant being able to provide food shelter and the necessities for those you love no matter what. Knowledge was the tool he offered me (often it was more like CRAMMED it down my throat willy nilly!)  I continued that search as a young adult and still am adding to my bank of knowledge today.

This is me trying to share with you some of the things that I know and also a bunch of my personal and humble opinions. Remember that opinions are like behinds. We all have one but mine always smells better than YOURS!

1 Survival is an art form

I am now 60 years old. I've been basically, self-sufficient/a survivalist/ militia/prepper my entire life. My Dad believed that you needed to understand how to feed yourself from the bottom up. He was old school farming stock raised by a blacksmith/mule breader and trainer/farmer. We did lots of intresting things when I was a kid so that I would KNOW how if I ever needed to know.

We gardened, farmed, made lye, made soap, made cheese, raised, butchered and processed every manner of critter, I've built houses from the slab/piers up and roofed. I've dug a well and smoked meat and cured it in several ways.

Most people don't have my experiences. THAT is why I say that survival is and needs to be treated as an art form. Each person will need to develop THEIR individual talents and abilities. For example...you know the old fight or flight reflex? Weeeelll I'm a VERY big boy and determined a long time ago that big people don't fly worth a hoot. I don't even try!

Instead I learned to move through the night like a shadow and worked hard to be proficient with all manner of up close silent weapons and tactics. I will lay low during the day but after dark I will come for you. My old partner when I was younger was the opposite. He was like 5'5” and a 135 lbs of just raw muscle. Man, that boy could fly!! If you chased him you were in trouble! He would get way ahead of you, tire you out, circle back, and then the next thing you knew HE was pursuing you.

Each of us has special abilities. One of the problems with today's cookie cutter society is that it makes little effort to help people find their special abilities. Only after you know yourself can you best plan your preparations. What are you good at? What do you LIKE to do? I always liked and was real good at puzzles. I learned that a machine that doesn't work is just a puzzle and so have made a nice living fixing things for folks.

There are some things that everyone needs to know but you will find that most things can be approached from many different angles. KNOWLEDGE is the tool but how you use that tool needs to reflect you and your special abilities.

Some will have you believe that survival is HARD and very dependent on hard work and a big dose of luck. That may be true if you are just dumped in an unknown environment. It should not be true if you are in the environment that YOU choose. It's like this, early human type creatures with brains the size of an orange did quite well. People live in every possible corner of the Earth except Antarctica. They do it well and comfortably or they would leave or die out.

I live in east Texas and have no worries at all about my ability to find and prepare food, fire, shelter and entertainment. Drop me off in the north in the winter and I might die. The same for a desert area. People that live there though probably will have very little trouble. PICK your BOL and IKNOW what it offers and how to find it and harvest it. Know how to find water in that sort of place. Know what you need to know for THAT place.

The survivor people are special because they are trained to survive in almost any environment. You don't need that unless you plan on being a migratory wanderer. You just need to be an expert on your area and you are good to go.

Food is actually easy once you know what is there, what is good for you and what is not. The only REAL threat that I will have to worry about or face is the threat of the two legged predator. I'm well prepared for that and have my plan already in place.

Remember me, I don't fly. I will be a little like a cross between a porcupine and a bunny rabbit. Hard to find and hard to get much satisfaction from. I would much rather be left alone than be the baddest bugger in the woods. There is a reason why there are a lot more rabbits and deer than wolves!

2 The mental side of living and surviving

This may ruffle a few feathers but it needs to be pointed out. If things go bad and the world as we know it collapses and changes we will have to realistically change too. The key word here is realistically! Please try to forget every Road Warrior/Rambo/Steampunk post-apocalyptic movie that you have ever seen.

You need to understand REALITIES. Military type weapons are for the military and are not designed for survival. The 5.56 NATO/ is designed and intended to be the least lethal primary weapon ever carried by any army in history. It is an assault weapon NOT a Battle rifle. The primary purpose of the M16 weapon is to cause casualties. It will kill but not actually a lot better than a 22lr. Military action is not about individual people killing other individual people. It is about forcing an opposing Government to capitulate and this is best done by overwhelming them with casualties. When their ability to care for the injured collapses the moral of the troops goes down the tubes. This is what happened almost immediately in Desert Storm and the Iraqi troops started to surrendered in mass.

The other thing that you have to understand about modern warfare is that casualties are generally pretty well cared for. There is usually a medic that will stabilize you and Evac is coming in a hurry. If you survive and make it to the medical facility you will most likely survive.

In a post apocalyptic world none of this will be true. This will be man on man and you want him dead before he makes you dead. You don't want to wound him. You want him to stop his aggressive behavior NOW before someone gets hurt that you care about.

Understand, if you get shot and it is anything other than a flesh wound you will probably DIE. You won't do it fast and it is going to be painful and UGLY. If you get gut shot by a 22lr, unless you have a doctor and surgical supplies with you then you are done. If you are hit and a major bone is shattered you will lose than limb or DIE. You can't fix a shattered bone in the woods. You either lop it off or make your peace with the Almighty.

What all this means is that you need to try to avoid ugly incidents like the plague!! When one becomes inevitable you need to kill your enemies as quickly and with as little danger to you and yours as possible. I like a deer rifle with a scope a lot better than an M16. You might be able to put more lead in the air but I will be as far from you as possible and only need to fire one round. I've never felt like I needed a machine gun to dispatch a deer and people are no tougher than a deer.

Don't fight if you can avoid it and don't let them escape if you fight them. It is too the death and if they get away today they will just come back later with more help. I believe, since I'm a bug in sort of non flying type, in set killing fields. If I'm attacked I will do a lot of bang bang type of shooting that will place them where I want them. Have nice little ditches or large rocks for them to hide in and behind. Once they are in place let the claymores deal with them. Make your field a multilayer trap. In the end after the first shot you are just moving them from one death trap to the next and only shooting the ones that won't try to hide. As soon as the shooting starts send someone out the back bolt hole to circle around and cover their escape route. If they are running it should be a turkey shoot and easy kills for the back up.

Make sure that you UNDERSTAND the realities of what you are trying to do and NOT trying to live or reenact a TV action movie scene. You are NOT 7' tall and armor plated, your weapon WILL run out of ammo and your opponents can and will shoot you just full of holes if you don't keep your butt behind cover. Sewing up your own wounds and just going on as if nothing happens is NOT reality and various infections can and will kill you just as dead as a bullet in the head!

Once life has no appeal or value people go into a mindset you see it in the eyes but that is neither here nor there once a sense of

I do not want to call it hopelessness but rather fatalism sets in and nothing matters I will give you an example gunfight at the O.K. corral.

all the participants KNEW that bullets kill they knew the risks of pushing each other and yet did it anyway survival of way of life is as instinctual

because if your way of living is threatened your threatened,

these 2 forces,  {argue about the morality or reasons later}  I have seen it it still happens and people still will face off and kill each other.

It has never stopped it will never stop it is only understood by those that live that life outsiders are like visitors at the zoo they have no clue what

they are watching or what these groups  are thinking sometimes it's sharks and sometimes monkeys but baboons are monkeys too and very

dangerous even deadly.

It is like the berserker phenomena. Some people, when they are scared enough or scared often enough, will lose their fear of death. Fear is a mind killer but lack of it is deadly. The berserkers were terrifying and the viking raiders were the most feared people of their time. The problem is that these people were extremely short lived. When you go into battle without fear you often find what you fear least in a hurry. You might chop someone in half but if they cut you even a small bit you might be just as dead as them when an infection sets in. In the end the ones less interested in glory and slower to enter into the fray lived to become the old men that sat by the fires, surrounded by their grand kids, telling the stories of those long dead warriors. They were the survivors.

3 Surviving versus living

I fear that many will survive physically only to die inside because they were not prepared with the right plan from the beginning. The Lone-wolf thing just doesn't work for people. If you are alone then you had better be on high allert at all times or you won't last long. Even a military Sniper is a part of a team.

The bigger your group the better off you will be after things settle down. A support system that makes you feel secure and not alone is better than a flack jacket. The military understand this and they do everything that they can to assit you in this.

You need to resist the desire to go “native”!! Have regular hours when possible, Eat at regular times and eat well. Personally I can live quite well on raw meat, fish and bugs. I often have a bowl of cocktail sauce on hand while I'm cleaning fish and have some fresh East Texas sushi while I'm working. I like raw meat and well bugs are just natures snacking crunchies. Nonetheless a prepared and shared meal is important because it is a period of normalcy that is comforting to you.

All BOBs should include a deck of cards and 6 dice!! People need to play and if you don't prepare for it you will be sorry. My cards are twofers and have edible plants on them. They are just fine for games but also references. You should also include a book or two. I have a collection of pocket sized books that will go for sure. One is a small version of the SAS survival manual, The Other is a Pocket Reference, Then there is a small Bible and a paperback novel. Ever seen or read “Fahrenheit 457” I will be “Time Enough For Love”

If you have kids along you MUST make time for play. As bad as it is for adults, PTSD for kids it is even worse because their personality matrix is not yet set and so is even easier to throw off.

Let me tell you a little about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder so you can grasp what it is and why it is. The human body is an incredibly adaptable thing with all sorts of special tricks that it can pull out of the hat for special occasions.

Everyone knows about or has heard about hysterical strength. You know, like when a Mother lifts a car off their kid and pulls them out from under it. This is no myth! It happens. Unfortunately what you don't hear about is the after effects. I knew a lady that basically did this sort of thing. She pulled a piece of boiler plate off a guy in the Ship yard that I worked in. She tossed it aside and threw him over her shoulder and just hauled butt as things were falling all around her. The m an survived and she did to...6 years and three surgeries later they finally got her back fixed up so that she wasn't in pain all the time.

When we are stressed things start happening in our bodies. Glands start opening and pouring things into our blood stream. The more upset you are the more endorphins are released. You have to understand, this is a special adaptation that is for do or die short term emergencies.

When Mr. and Mrs. Ugg and the Uggettes were suddenly confronted by a cave bear Mrs. Ugg grabbed the kids and hauled butt. Mr. Ugg was flooded with endorphins and suddenly felt 7' tall and armor plated. While the rest of the Uggs took off he whacked the cave bear on the nose with a stick. The bear blinked and took a swipe at him ripping open his shoulder. This made Mr. Ugg mad so he poked the cave bear in the eye with the stick and then took off running at a rather spectacular speed for his kind. Nonetheless cave bears are faster so Ugg showed the bear the other thing that he was good at. He jumped real high, grabbed a lower limb on a tree and in seconds was out of the bears reach.

Only after he calmed down did he realize that he was torn up pretty badly. During the crisis he had basically turned off his ability to feel much pain and become a lot stronger. Now that he was recovering from the fright he returned to his more mortal nature and hurt like heck!

This became a great thing for his species. Even if he had died, his children were saved and his contribution to the next generation was assured for the time being. Unfortunately there is always a cost for everything and we will look at that a little further down the line.

Narcotic drugs and most addictive drugs are designed to either imitate this sort of physical response or trigger it in our bodies to a more or lesser extent. When we get addicted it is all good until we try to do without the drug. Then things turn ugly!

This is part of the bad down side to our special abilities. If we aren't real careful they will turn on us and can actually kill us. Shock is a part of the bodies response to injury. Our Blood pressure drops so we won't bleed to death as fast but if it doesn't let up in a little while you will die from lack of propper circulation. An animal will bounce back as soon as the emergency is past but humans have a more advanced brain. People die all the time from injuries that are not actually life threatening because the THINK they are hurt bad and dying. Our minds will cause us to stay in full distress mode even after the threat has passed.

Everyone has heard of Adrenalin junkies. You can even get addicted to gambling because of the excitement. Our love for this special feeling leads us to doing all sorts of things that on the surface are stupid at best...I mean REALLY why would anyone want to jump out of a perfectly good airplane just for the heck of it???? LOL.

People worry. Animals don't. They live totally in the present and will return to a peaceful mental state. People will keep on acting and reacting as if they were under threat long after the threat is gone. PTSD happens when someone has stayed “jacked up” for so long that their bodies have adapted to this sort of thing to the point that it treats this as the “normal” state.

The thing about PTSD is that everyone concentrates on the T and the S and the D and forgets about the P. When the Trauma and Stress become a disorder people fail to understand what the real problem is. The POST part is the cause of the disorder. When the stress goes away if is just GREAT for a little while...then you basically go into withdrawal. Withdrawal is freaking AWFUL and even worse when you don't even understand that you ARE withdrawing from a chemical addiction. Just as shock is a survival trait that can save us sometimes and kill us other times; the adrenalin addiction can be deadly too.

In a TEOTWAWKI situation you MUST get somewhere safe and hunker down ASAP. Once in place with others you need to return, as much as possible, to a normal low stress condition. If you don't “decompress” you may become a bigger threat to yourself and those you care about that the “threat” that you were fighting.

Understand, the excitement may be a pleasure but in the end it is also a threat. It is insidious and in the end, all to often, deadly. Relax, play, love and allow the world to comfort you. Even in a TEOTWAWKI situation, man is still the king of beasts and has adapted to anything that nature has thrown at us.

Live long, love often and die well.

Excellent comments and posts above. WELL worth reading over and over.

Having seen and been IN the "ugly side of life" in and out of the militarty, in and out of law enforcement, I have unfortunately, a good understanding even knowledge of how people react and act to the stressors in their own lives.

I've seen that lack of fear in human predators eyes when they are sizing you up to determine whether to compiy with the coming arrest or kill you.I've seen that first hand more times than I care to remember and it isn't something rookies want to find themselves involved in.(nor us old guys either)

I've learned I am NOT a "legend in my own mind", that there are ALWAYS people out there, bigger-N-badder than you are, no matter what.

Those people will want to kill you LAST, after raping/sodomizing your wife/children, grandchildren, because they CAN. It's what they LIKE to do to their victims.

I LIKE to avoid trouble well before it arrives on scene, and IF it arrives on-scene and I have to deal with it, I view that as a failure on MY part. I like to see "trouble" as far away as possible and completely avoid it IF, at all possible. WHY get in an engagement with the thugs/thugettes and predators of this worl, unless it is absolutely necessary? That never makes strategic or tactical sense.

I've already been called all the filthy names in the book and many others that aren't in the book, I'm still here, I'm still me and still functioning, although my friends might say that is due entirely to me being a fully cuntioning sociopath.(that's a joke, people)

Stay safe, keep a smile on your lips, prayers in your heart, and have a plan to kill everyone you meet, that needs it, and you will do just fine in this life.

LMAO your right I have all the symptoms BUT I LIKE IT.  I have found few I could relate too and I hate that in every group some

self appointed leader usually wants to direct traffic problem is he has never done traffic he saw it,  was in it, but did not worked it.

I do not accept orders and I don't give them as many of us just saw in Atlanta most people are wearing slip on shoes because

they are too stupid to tie them.

One of my pet peeves is the first thing some Nimrod wants to do is share the wealth all the rations are collected and  B.S. !

I am one of the few that has taken the time and effort to BOTHER to have a plan even had to save money and put off things

because I think this is important as important as life MINE.

I ain't sharing not donating not taking orders or putting up with sh*i  this is their chance / choice in these rooms to learn and get ready

or screw them.

that is our problem as a nation we have fed the world of morons and all they did was bump & grind out more morons.

if the herd needs thinning let us start with the lazy and the stupid allow them to deal in the real world for a while.

then the viscous the rest of us can take care of ourselves and those that really need help BUT that won't happen.

Like now some group who I will not name will cover their voter base no matter how stupid they are just the other day

want more money knowing that eventually the spigot will run dry.

and if they have to take it from someone else they will.

Pirates they are the original share and share alike bunch we still have them called street gangs  as long as the leader keeps them

with enough of whatever they want he is the leader if not NEXT leader.

a quick look at FE  MA and in the small print they can confiscate anything they deem stores and if you have too much you will be jailed as

a hoarder LMAO i remember this and I thought the Mormons were going to go to the Supreme court NOT !!!  apparently money talks and 

liberty walks off with empty pockets.

This country is NOT like any other EVER and when it goes to hell it will be something for the record books notice I said when not if.

there are 300 million people at a gallon a day per if TSHTF how many will be dead in 3 days now a week now a month and where will

they all be migrating toward WATER if they survive one day 300 million animals will die for every day they don't and if it is green and edible

it too will be gone. in days there won't be any grass that is not eaten or sh*t on in a month if we are lucky Cannibalism fires will create their 

own weather systems  floods from broken infrastructure diseases and death from an immediate lack of drugs and health care.

Want a reference  would you like for me to prove my theory I give you KATRINA & the New Orleans Super DOME.

With all the books that make people millionaires don't you think it is strange that a TELL ALL book has yet to be written??

There were murders rapes beatings drugs were still being sold hell they were even pimping each other off the garbage and sewage

was knee deep and that is one town in one city in one week so sweet dreams live long and prosper nanu nanu beep beep

we are all hanging off the edge of a building by a dollar bill when it snaps it's all over and that is history not opinion and the real funny part is

all these nations that think they can fill our shoes will go down the tubes with us as we are the largest consumer of ANYTHING YOU CAN NAME.

fromair conditioned dog houses to  aZZ lube  to thousand dollar purses diamond studded cell phones to  ziegenbach beer.

and whatever replaces it will NOT be warm fuzzy and wonderful NOT FOR A LONG TIME.

And a small foot note if your prepared your like the guy with a fist full of dollar bills at the strip joint ain't you going to be

popular .   till the money runs out then your a sucker a dufuss and drunk from all the attention and now they don't need you

they kick you out.

Kinda like The U.S. in the united nations we can't get a positive vote on getting rid of child prostitution that is how low the world has sunk that they won't vote on it and we have to go begging for anyone to pay attention to it.

If they are pimping off their own children what in the hell do people think they are going to do to us? if you ain't pretty and have a tight but and that includes you boys they are going to shoot you burn you and shove whats left into a big hole.

I'm not much of a "giver" anymore. In my experience No good deed goes unpunished and the more you help somebody the more they think you owe them. If someone comes to us after the fact they will either be put to work or put out of their misery. If you won't work I'll bury you shallow.

I've had a plan that goes back almost 40 years. That is how a young person should live. A very wise old man told me something about making plans and having goals. He looked me in the eye and said, "If you don't know where you're a going; don't be surprised if you don't get there! Dream BIG boy. Write it don't and any time that you have a decission to make look at your plans and go the direction that is closest to where you're goin'."

My wife and I had a plan. We dreamed big. Decided what really mattered to us and lived it. I basically bugged out almost 20 years ago. I don't like a lot of people around me. I am not real good at taking orders from dumbasses and money doesn't mean much to me. I've owned my own company  for 16 years, I live a lot like people did 75 years ago. Hell if the power goes off tomorrow it won't mean much to me. I guess I'll miss this damn computer more than anything else.

I live in the woods outside of a VERY small town. I have access to thousands of acres. I have been known to shoot Bambi off my front porch and once out of my bed. LOL, scared the hell out of Mama and got me hit!" I live with my kids right next door. See my Grand Baby every day. We eat together, usually on one of the porches. We have a couple thousand square feet of porches. I ain't rich but have enough to pay the bills and have most of the things that I want.

I give full credit to that old man. My wife and I dreamed big. We wrote it down and usually headed in the right direction when we came to forks in the road. We laugh a lot about it because it is actually amazing how close we came to ending up where we wanted. I'm kind of retired now. I still work some but only for folks that I like and only if I'm in the mood. I raced the rat (rat race). I caught that little sucker, killed him, pealed him and ate him in a stew. Now I don't have to race the rat anymore and don't.

I still have plans but a lot of them are already in place. We could go off the grid tomorrow and live quite well. I have several thousand dollars in silver and coins. Hell I have 700 dollars in those silly Susan B Anthony dollars.  A hundred and Fifty real silver silver dollars and four bags made out of Levi pants legs full of loose change. I'm just not all that sure about paper money. We have lots of food, a 2500 gallon cistern fed off those big porches and 15.000 gallons in a swimming pool.

If things go bad I'll drop a dozen trees over the road I live on and turn the ditches into killing fields. Claymores are just so easy to make and effective. Or I'll just sit here watching my Grand Baby grow up and enjoy the time I have left in peace. The nice thing about small towns and country folk is that we are all pretty self-sufficient very pugnatious, and finding someone that doesn't own at least a half dozen guns is like looking for a Limbaugh ditto head in Boston.

4 Food, surviving and the difference between survival and modern farming.

This is another area where there are a lot of misunderstandings. To tell the truth I can't imagine being hungry for long in most places in the southern 48. Death Valley and a few high mountain areas might be an exception. I will mostly be talking about the wooded south because that is what I know but the fact is primitive peoples lived quite well in nearly,y ALL of both North and South America.

People treat eating and food as fun, entertainment and a social activity. This has been true to some extent for a long long time but we have carried it to an extreme where every day is a banquet day or feast day. You need to get over this idea in a hurry. Banquets and feasts are for SPECIAL occasions and not for every meal.

Why is this important? Because you need to adapt to the idea that not being stuffed is NOT the same as being hungry! The amount of food that you need is a lot less than you think. You need to AVERAGE a certain amount but if you don't get that amount of calories for a while it really isn't a big deal.

Ancient man ate a lot occasionally, a little a lot of times and nothing occasionally. When you are on the move and it is not cold, you live hand to mouth. That means if you kill something or find a patch of fruit then you eay all you can! The next kill might be a few days away.

For the short term, several years maybe, survival situation you need to kick back and not worry too much about food. Eat when you can. Save a little if you can and then don't sweat it if you miss a few meals.

I've crossed swords with people about this in the past but I maintain and KNOW for a fact that a normal person really doesn't need to work very hard to feed himself if they are knowledgeable about what sources are available in the area they are in.

One guy got plumb indignant about it and informed me that farming is hard work. I laughed at him to some extent because he doesn't understand that 99% of what you raise on a farm is for SALE to support a modern lifestyle. Do you have any idea how much corn you have to raise and harvest and sell to pay for a truck or tractor?? If all you are doing is feeding yourself it only takes a couple hours a day on average to do that. All the rest that a farmer does is for trade to buy things that make life easier, more fun and to keep up with the Jones'.

I saw a guy do a scathing review of the “Survival Tabs”. A bottle of tablets that will keep you going for a couple of weeks. It provided about 400 calories a day and most of your vitamins and minerals. This fool claimed that this is insane and that you can not possibly live on 400 calories!

Bull pucky!! You can't live forev er on that BUT you can live for a long long time on it! What it does is keep your system moving and helps you metabolize your internal energy sources. You won't actually starve until you have burned up all of your fat reserves AND THEN used up most of your nonessential muscle mass. That is a factoid!

A lot of people are going to work their buts off trying to feed themselves and end up actually burning more calories than they can find and eat! Or they are going to eat too much of the wrong stuff and end up with the trots and losing even more essential fluids. I push fishing and snaring a lot because neither requires a large investment in energy. You are very unlikely to injure yourself and you will nearly always catch enough to get you by for another day.

I'm not just talking about theory by the way. I have done two 14 day fasts, a dozen or so week long fasts and one nearly month long fast. I went for YEARS on one meal every other day. I mostly felt great and actually didn't seem to have a lot of trouble with my energy levels.

When you make a kill of a big critter you make up for lost meals. You feast and gorge and then sleep so you can do it again. Then you try and dry what is left to preserve it and then return to a slower lifestyle. Yes, I know the winter is hard and you need to prepare but you also have to realize that in the winter food doesn't spoil as fast and you SHOULD be eating mostly meat and not be running around out in the cold a lot so your needs are minimal.

Your body is actually amazingly adaptive to this sort of thing. When you eat meat your metabolism changes. It slows and the meat offers you things that help you metabolize your stored fats and reduces your hunger. In the spring when the berries are ripe they do exactly the opposite. The more you eat the more you want and it is stored as fat while your body has trouble burning fat. You are a little like a bear and made to store fat easily when the food is easily available and then burn it slowly when winter comes. Try to find a carbohydrate in the woods in the dead of winter!! There just aren't any.

What I'm talking about is the basis of the Atkins diet and the so called caveman diet. By eating meat and avoiding carbs you burn fat more easily. Conversely in a survival situation you need to do as the cave dude did and eat what is most easily available at that time. When winter comes, eat the only thing there is, meat, and kick back and wait for spring.

Most primitive peoples had lots and lots of spare time. That is why their arts and crafts were so well made, ornate and intricate. They had time to burn because it just didn't take that much time to provide for themselves. Until civilization came and people started to want more dodads they didn't need big fields and to kill ALL the buffalo and passenger pigeons. The large heard and flocks were wiped out NOT for food or survival, they were killed for profit and worldly goods that in no way were necessary for survival. The buffalo rotted, all they wanted was the hides and the birds were wanted for feathers more than meat.

If you don't leave all that sort of thing behind for a while after the collapse, you probably won't make it. You will work yourself to death for nothing. The greatest tool for survival, after knowledge, is patience and the ability to slow down and learn to enjoy the simple pleasures. Watch the clouds, star gaze, whittle or weave baskets. Naps are great! Eat when its there and then don't worry much when it's not. Starvation is mostly about too many people rather than not enough resources. After the end I think that problem will be rectified. Hunker down, let nature run it's course then come out after the storm and reap the survivors harvest.

6. Secure your perimeter and also secure your place at your BOL..

Sadly, it seems that very few understand the concept of preset  "killing fields".  This is how you make your BOL as safe/secure as possible and on the other side you need to understand them if you ever have to take out someone that is entrenched.

I used to tournament bass fish and my and my partner was  one of the original Green Berets in 61 after JFK made the beret the official cover for the Army special forces.  He was a demo expert and used to talk about layered killing fields where you basically ran the enemy from one place to another with claymores taking out some at each level.

He and I used to discuss various ways to set it up and he was also expert in improvised explosive devices that you don't even want to talk about these days. The very best weapons are the ones that you can use with no threat to your own safety. The best way to win a fight is not to have one. Never fight on your enemies home turf if there is ANY alternative.

If you aren't protecting a set BOL then never fight if you can retreat. Retreat, hide then snipe from a safe distance then repeat from another position if you just have to take someone out.  Never use the same cover twice and never hit at the same time of day. Wear them down by taking your time. You can leave the area and relax. They can't.

Conversely the only way to fight a sniper is with another sniper or hunt them down at night if you have a Shadow Dancer that is good at that. You track them and then catch them as they try to slip out of the area. The thing is that you shouldn't offer them much to gain from sniping. It won't be war and never let anyone go that hates you and might come back.Be nice if it is at all possible and share if you can do so without taking food out of your own mouth.  The fewer living enemies you have the less likely you are to have someone set in on you as a sniper.

Know your neighbors at your BOL. They will be your first line of warning and defense. Don't even try to be a lone wolf. A community of neighbors will be much more stable and better able to stand off attackers. You will NEED them at some point so lay the ground work early.  Make sure that they know you because after a few wandering gangs swing through stealing and raping, strangers are NOT going to be very welcome!

When Rita hit us after Katrina hit New Orleans some towns actually put up road blocks and would only let a few people at a time pass through.  I've heard that in some aqreas they will block the freeway exits if it ever happens again. Those people came in and first they bought everything in town and then they stole or trashed anything else that they could get too. A church in town had $65,000.00 in damages from taking in refugees!! A school near here was trashed so badly that it took them several weeks to get it so it could reopen. They literally tore the sinks off the walls, broke into all the teachers lockers and pretty much would take a dump ANYPLACE other than the bathrooms. Guess where refugees will NOT be welcome next time!

If nobody at your BOL knows you pretty well you may find yourself unwelcome in your own place! And calling the cops will not help you a bit because they will be the ones turning you away at first! Small towns an rural areas can be VERY clannish.  Don't be a stranger. Visit often and don't be that weird nut on the end of the road that nobody knows with all the no trespassing signs on his place that nobody has ever talked to!!

In a bug out situation you need to take legal and fair and right out of your mind set. You may own a place there. but that won't mean you will be welcome if you haven't laid some ground work. Hells lovely bells We plan to drop trees across the main road that I live on to keep people out. If you live there you will know how to go around but if you do people in my little valley better recognize you! Sad but true, I will be about the most hospitable person around there and that is a little scary even to me.

6. Secure your perimeter and also secure your place at your BOL..

Sadly, it seems that very few understand the concept of preset  "killing fields".  This is how you make your BOL as safe/secure as possible and on the other side you need to understand them if you ever have to take out someone that is entrenched.

I used to tournament bass fish and my and my partner was  one of the original Green Berets in 61 after JFK made the beret the official cover for the Army special forces.  He was a demo expert and used to talk about layered killing fields where you basically ran the enemy from one place to another with claymores taking out some at each level.

He and I used to discuss various ways to set it up and he was also expert in improvised explosive devices that you don't even want to talk about these days. The very best weapons are the ones that you can use with no threat to your own safety. The best way to win a fight is not to have one. Never fight on your enemies home turf if there is ANY alternative.

If you aren't protecting a set BOL then never fight if you can retreat. Retreat, hide then snipe from a safe distance then repeat from another position if you just have to take someone out.  Never use the same cover twice and never hit at the same time of day. Wear them down by taking your time. You can leave the area and relax. They can't.

Conversely the only way to fight a sniper is with another sniper or hunt them down at night if you have a Shadow Dancer that is good at that. You track them and then catch them as they try to slip out of the area. The thing is that you shouldn't offer them much to gain from sniping. It won't be war and never let anyone go that hates you and might come back.Be nice if it is at all possible and share if you can do so without taking food out of your own mouth.  The fewer living enemies you have the less likely you are to have someone set in on you as a sniper.

Know your neighbors at your BOL. They will be your first line of warning and defense. Don't even try to be a lone wolf. A community of neighbors will be much more stable and better able to stand off attackers. You will NEED them at some point so lay the ground work early.  Make sure that they know you because after a few wandering gangs swing through stealing and raping, strangers are NOT going to be very welcome!

When Rita hit us after Katrina hit New Orleans some towns actually put up road blocks and would only let a few people at a time pass through.  I've heard that in some aqreas they will block the freeway exits if it ever happens again. Those people came in and first they bought everything in town and then they stole or trashed anything else that they could get too. A church in town had $65,000.00 in damages from taking in refugees!! A school near here was trashed so badly that it took them several weeks to get it so it could reopen. They literally tore the sinks off the walls, broke into all the teachers lockers and pretty much would take a dump ANYPLACE other than the bathrooms. Guess where refugees will NOT be welcome next time!

If nobody at your BOL knows you pretty well you may find yourself unwelcome in your own place! And calling the cops will not help you a bit because they will be the ones turning you away at first! Small towns an rural areas can be VERY clannish.  Don't be a stranger. Visit often and don't be that weird nut on the end of the road that nobody knows with all the no trespassing signs on his place that nobody has ever talked to!!

In a bug out situation you need to take legal and fair and right out of your mind set. You may own a place there. but that won't mean you will be welcome if you haven't laid some ground work. Hells lovely bells We plan to drop trees across the main road that I live on to keep people out. If you live there you will know how to go around but if you do people in my little valley better recognize you! Sad but true, I will be about the most hospitable person around there and that is a little scary even to me.

1. 7. The only deadly weapon

Every time you get a bunch of survivor type people together the subject of weapons will come up. Now days the big thing is the various AR or AK weapons platforms. After that we go to the shotguns and then comes the various automatic pistols. The 22lr gets a few mentions as do various older military surplus rifles and deer rifles.

Unfortunately people seem to overlook the REAL weapon and concentrate on the peripheral things. Let me tell you now, the deadliest weapon is KNOWLEDGE when it is put together with a focused thinking mind!! All the fancy weapons won't do you a bit of good if you act a fool and think they make you bad to the bone.

A friend of mine served in Vietnam back when we were just there as :advisers” (Mid to late 50s through early 60s). They learned real fast that a lot of those little rascals that they were fighting were geniuses at making do with whatever they had to work with. They didn't have a lot at first but they made life miserable with those damn punji sticks and all manner of OLD weapons.

My friend was the gunner on a chopper and told me about this one crazy farmer. There was one farmer that shot down three choppers with a muzzle loader. He would sit on the side of a mountain and when the choppers came down the valley he would blast them. It was something a little like the old punt guns that market hunters used. Maybe like a 2 gauge shotgun.

They had to send in a big squad of special forces to go after him on the ground. It took them weeks to catch him. As soon as the shot was fired the gun went down a hole and the farmer slipped down to the terraces where his fields were. He, as it turned out, was not even really Vietcong. Some asshole gunner in an American chopper had shot up his water buffalo just for funnies and he was pissed! That animal was how he plowed his fields and a very important thing to him.

Later as the Russians and North Vietnamese regulars got more involved the Cong got better armed but even then they were hell to root out. They KNEW their environment and made excellent use of its strengths. I had a friend/neighbor for about 15 years that was a tunnel rat. The Cong liked to dig in and live underground. Hugh was just a little over 5'3” and so got picked for the pleasure of going in to root them out.

He told me about the tiny little tunnels with all sorts of traps and such but to him the thing that was fascinating was how well made and extensive some of these tiny ant mound underground compounds were. The most dangerous part of fighting these people was not their weaponry, rather it was that they knew how to make ordinary things deadly and by western standards had little concern for human life.

There are very few truly dangerous weapons and those few are in general almost as dangerous to their user as they are to their intended victims. What there ARE is dangerous PEOPLE and they are dangerous if they are butt naked and weaponless! Think for a minute about what 2 punk kids did in Boston with a few fireworks and a couple of pressure cookers!!! McVey took a truck fertilizer diesel and blew a building up ETC...etc...etc...

A dangerous person has knowledge that weighs nothing and takes up no space. You don't lose it and with it they are truly deadly. With this internal weaponry they can get all the guns they want...simply kill and take from others that THINK that a bushmaster makes them dangerous. They walk down the middle of the road sure that nobody would dare mess with them because THEY have this big bad gun!! Now, a gun in the hands of a dangerous person is indeed bad news but after things go to the pits there will be lots more silly fools packing guns than there will be dangerous folks.

I personally know a couple dozen people that have bought AR/AK type weapons over the last few years and probably not shot a hundred rounds through them. Ammo is expensive you know. They also don't know squat about field stripping those weapons or even doing the basic maintenance! They have watched movies I guess and seen that all you have to do is spray and pray and the bad guys all fall down!

To become a dangerous person you need to A, gather knowledge about all sorts of weapons. B, obtain/build and practice with them. C, learn to maintain, rebuild, field strip your weapons.

Examples...I make and throw knives. I have made bows and arrows and while not an outstanding archer I can manage to hit small critters pretty regularly. Bigger critters are easier. I am a gunsmith and have built, repaired and maintained assorted forearms both professionally and privately. I reload and have three presses, a dozen Lea Loaders and a hand held press. I have made and used slings and slingshots and can kill small game with them. I throw hawks and axes. I've made and used nearly all of the basic native American weapons from the Apache throwing sticks through atalatles. I can and have made and set traps that would and could handle bear sized prey if you know what I mean. In my younger and stupider days I thoroughly explored the making and use of various ideas from the Anarchist cookbook and the Poormans James Bond. I hope that I never have to revisit that knowledge in real life BUT I can if I ever need to. Did you know that there are three kinds of gunpowder? Black, white and red depending on what you have available.

Throw in the fact that I know the breaking strength of all the various bones and joints, have no intention of fighting fair or just bare hand to hand and the fact that I can, have and will eat nearly anything and am very familiar with the animals and plants in my area I am not especially worried about a bunch of weekend warriors with big bad guns. I used to be rather oddly talented at night maneuvers. I see real well in the dark and loved to take walks in the woods at night. The old body isn't as strong as it once was but in a short term action I will still be pretty good and VERY deadly.

I am not bragging! I have worked hard for almost 40 years learning and practicing things. I try to add something new at least a couple times a year. Other than my strange night time eye sight and some sort of built in sense of direction I am an extremely ordinary person. There is almost nothing that I am the best at. Nearly every thing that I know could be learned and perfected in as little as 4 months. I don't look very dangerous. I'm sort of built like a barrel. When I was young it was funny when someone would mistake my roundness for being just a fat kid.

If nothing else, all this has made an interesting hobby that often was also at times financially rewarding. Prepare NOW and hope that you will never need that knowledge. It is a little like any sort of insurance. You hope that you never need it but once you do it is too late to get it!

I have posted all this before.

Ruger 10/22

ruger single six or a MK whatever I, II, III, 22/45

bolt 308

Remington 870 express 2 3/4 and 3 inch

good 9MM semi auto 6 mags and a carbine if your not getting a 38 / 357 carbine

good revolver in 38 / 357  if a person can afford it lever or pump in the same caliber.

here is the rub 45 ACP carbine does not increase power or distance 9MM gets a little boost but not enough for medium game bullet weight is insufficient.

if your in big game country 44 mag and a carbine might serve you better but your better off to go with 308 and the 22LR pair.

A shotgun is more of a bug in / area and night patrol weapon as the ammo very heavy 50 rounds = a brick of 500 22LR so if your

on an unknown duration march it simply does not work out weight or ammo wise.

As long as a person has ammo there is no real right and wrong caliber but traveling long distances without support my view is

more ammo the better.

If anyone had to start from nothing 22 LR make sure you can get at least 2K rifle worth of ammo a semi auto rifle

and a revolver or a semi auto pistol if you go with a semi auto anything you need mags more the better. up to about 5 to 10 for each

and a .308 bolt action or single shot rifle with both iron and optic sights.

One firearm needs to be semi auto.

keep it in the nato family 223 / 5.56  7.62x51 or .308  9MM 12 ga. 22LR  38 / 357 are used by some security and maybe 40 S&W

but don't count on the last 3 make sure you have your own supply IMO.

alternative weapons require practice and plenty of it. I don't like a bow as now of days the arrows are not cheap the

bows are not either if I am going to spend a few hundred I want more range than a bow.and faster reloading.

fighting Knifes if you can stick it in a tree and hang from it without it bending or breaking carry it, to me one mandatory

part of the design is a full tang "one piece blade and handle" and a 7 inch blade.

there are training knifes "made of rubber"

pocket knifes have a Swiss army explorer and a little classic then whatever else you want to carry.

The Swiss army explorer w/ magnifier and all it's tools you will find you can't do without.

Swiss army classic is as good as you can get in place of a surgical tool small thin sharp.

I guess a short bit of information on sharpening I have a diamond steel and a ceramic rod as well as a 1200 grit stone / hone

none of these need oil. ceramic needs to be washed off

either

It is sort of funny, an a little scary LOL,  to me Snake in how many ways we think alike. I have a Ruger 10-22, a winchester trapper in 38/2357, a Ruger single 6 convertable and a Ruger mk 2 auto pistol in the 6 7/8" target mode, a Security 6 357. I also like and own the Taurus modle 85 5 shot 36, the Taurus model 94 9 shot 22lr and several mossenberg 12 gauge including a Defender 8 shot with all the goodies.  The 85 and 94 are basically a hybred K frame S&W size on a more Ruger type solid frame with no side plate and coil springs. .Throw in an AR-7 22lr and a good bolt action deer rifle and you have a great basic armory. I used to do the Mini 14 in the old days but it is more "assault oriented than a defender. 

I own the buck 110 and the buck woodsman, the Kabar marine battle knife that my Dad brought home from the war, a Kabar short, a kabar kukri and a kabar neck knife that I've modified a little. I like knives a lot and own hundreds and have made a hundred or so myself. I also make knives and like a bowie style or a tanto style blade made out of 1095 carbon that is about a 1/4" thick. I assure you that I can hang my fat butt off of any of those that I make. They are all real full tang...a little heavy but never will fail you if tempered right. The Victorinox Trecker and farmer/camper are GREAT and offer the things that you NEED without a bunch of extras that you don't need.

Forgive me, brethren, for I have sinned. I CANNOT find a good .357 lever action rifle, for which I've been searching for some time. I'm onot about to give up on that search as I truly believe in those rifles. I'm good with the other "suggestions" on personal gear needs.

I WILL find one for myself, or die trying. Can't think of a better urban/highly populated area rifle for personal protection and protection for hearth and home while traveling. I'm good on the revolvers, have sufficient round butt K-Frame snubbies, would use the lever action for farther distances, instead of a four or six inch.

BUT PLEASE, quit referring to those outstanding 2 3/4 inch Ruger Security Sixes that I PASSED on years ago, becasue I "thought" then they was butt yougly....(misspent youth of course).

LOL well TP we have all had the remorse thing either for selling or buying over saving for something else.

As far as a lever in 38 / 357 a marlin is as good as it gets I do not care for top eject  although a good single shot with

a shotgun barrel may work for you.

the marlin holds 9 in 357 and shoots very well you can find special rifle loads If you own a old SA Ruger I would not

worry much on the ammo should you shoot warm ammo all your rifle ammo should be magnum and keep the pistol

ammo in 38+P so you do not use one in place of the other.

the H&R single shot is under 300 saw one on cheaperthandirt

I have noticed that you can find Rossi 357's on gunbroker.com for around 450 a lot of people like them they are a copy of a winchester top

eject.

and by what I understand you can have other barrels on a H&R so there ya go.

I almost had a heart attack friggin marlin 1894 were starting at 850 and UP WOW times have changed

There is a revolver called the Madusa, not sure how many were produced.

From what I remember it was designed by a NASA worker.

One could shoot 9mm/38spl/357magnum all from the same cylinder.

Would like to own a Madusa, if I could find one for sale.

I had one of t hose in a bi-centennial edition. Nothing special except that all the Rugers made that year had "Made in the 200th year of American freedom" on the barrel. I shot that gun so much that I needed to do a complete rebuild on it. I had it on the table at a gun show thinking of maybe selling it and buying new when this guy walked up and just went wild over it. I told him to make and offer and also told him that though it looked good that it was about used up as far as the trigger and latch works were concerned. Nonetheless he offered me almost twice what I would have asked for an opening price to get the negotiations started. Evidently there are people that collect the 200th anniversary editions and that 38/357/9mm was hard to find. Talk about a deal where everyone walked away happy!

The 9mm was nice to shoot. Back them you could get surplus ammo in 9mm for nearly nothing so it got shot a lot. These guns were also popular with people that wanted to do a little wildcat reloading. I nearly sent my 9mm cylinder of to get it reamed out to a 357/44 mag B&D. That was a 44 mag case necked down to the 357 bullets. I was doing some silhouette shooting at the time and that was a hot, flat shooting wildcat round in silhouette shooting at the time.

Sorry VB got one not exactly but I ended up with a Black Hawk 9MM cylinder drops in a old model Vaquero like a dream

what is nice is the cylinder is blue so it is easy to tell the difference :lol: . I need to make a cylinder pouch for a 3 inch belt

with basket weave I don't seem to be able to get motivated even though I have all the tools and materials.

There is a revolver called the Madusa, not sure how many were produced.

From what I remember it was designed by a NASA worker.

One could shoot 9mm/38spl/357magnum all from the same cylinder.

Would like to own a Madusa, if I could find one for sale.

I met the inventor / builder many years ago interesting revolver used leaf springs inside the bores of the cylinders back then

some of the calibers did not engage the rifling {sub caliber} I do not know what engineering has changed from the original model.

it fired its interesting but in many of the calibers it could fire, were not for accuracy but close up last ditch effort to survive IMHO.

you can still get one as far as I know just have to keep an eye open on all the gun auctions one recently sold for 950+

The Medusa was made here in Huntsville for a while if I remember right. It would actually shoot about ANY 38/357/9mm caliber round either auto or rimmed carterage with the exception of the 357 Sig that is actually a 40 caliber round. It would chamber and extract at least 25 different types of amunition and was very expensive to make.

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/airborne_combat_engineer/2007/05/medusa_revolver.html

I always thought the Civil War Lemat was a fine idea. Someone actually made one for a while that fired two different calerbers through an upper and lower barrel with a shotgun round in the middle. I think it was a 357mag/22lr/20 guage...It was sold as a survival weapon. Where the Lemat was a pistol this thing I'm remembering was sort of like the Savage 24 with a revolver type cylinder on it. It was fairly long because the shotgun barrel had to be 18"+.