Sign in to follow this  
JonM1911

Solo Stove Review

Finally got to use my Solo Stove and Solo Pot 900 yesterday and I must say it works great. I have the standard size stove, which fits compactly into the Pot, so it packs small and light. Both are made out of 304 SS and a combined weight of 17oz. So I was doing some work outside and decided to make a cup of tea to keep me warm. Learned some stuff, like you need to feed small fires more than large ones. Anyway, it was really windy, and I had to work to keep it protected (they offer a windscreen that would work perfectly in this case. Once I got the fire up and running, it took about 3 minutes to get the light boil shown in the video, which was enough for me. Website says 8-10 minutes for a boil.

It had been raining the past day, so everything was soaked. I used cotton balls and vasoline, along with some feather sticks I made to get it going. Sticks cut to about 3-5 inches in length and up to an inch in diameter work best. Thinner sticks can be fed through the air holes in the top as well. Obviously this isn't going to be something for a camp fire, though it does put out some good heat, but this is great for a single person in a backpacking trip or short hike. The Pot would hold a Mountain House meal or similar, for rehydration. Or you could fill it up with water to rehydrate a meal and have some hot tea/coffee. Also gives you a secondary (or primary) method of water purification. Great construction, can't wait to take this out in the field to have a bit more fun, but that will probably have to wait for a while.

My video

http://s303.photobucket.com/user/Jon1776/media/20140111_135507_zps335acb04.mp4.html

http://www.solostove.com/solo-stove/

http://www.solostove.com/solo-pot-900/

I do love playing with new gear. I'll try to post some more reviews of stuff as I get time and play with them. I have a few small ones to post just from my fire making for this one. Those should be up tomorrow.

I've found that on the little soves and such that there is a learning curve. After you use it a little and find out exactly what size and type of fuel works best that things get a lot better. Little fires just take a lot more attention than big fires it seems.

My big rocket stove can cook a big meal for a bunch of people and do it with just a handful of little pieces of wood. BUT, you have to stay with it and feed it a little at a time or it stops working. It isn't like hanging a cast iron dutch over over a big bed of coals and then going for a walk. .

To me something like this is perfect for the times you don't have time for a bonfire or just need a hot drink before you hit the hay.

Or a quick meal on the trail. That's exactly why I like it. Its quick, easy, once you get the learning curve, and you don't have to build a huge fire.

I've found that on the little soves and such that there is a learning curve. After you use it a little and find out exactly what size and type of fuel works best that things get a lot better. Little fires just take a lot more attention than big fires it seems.

My big rocket stove can cook a big meal for a bunch of people and do it with just a handful of little pieces of wood. BUT, you have to stay with it and feed it a little at a time or it stops working. It isn't like hanging a cast iron dutch over over a big bed of coals and then going for a walk. .

Definitely a learning curve, building a a big fire is a lot easier haha. But its a challenge and I'm glad I tried it out in the back yard before needing to use it somewhere else and having to learn on the fly. For the most part, its the same as any other fire. Make sure you have your fuel prepped and ready, you just have to feed it a bit differently in order to keep it going.

The #10 can stove is the same it needs a ready pile of tinder as a person cooks they need to raise the pot / pan and add

grass for higher heat {burns fast thus hotter} or different sizes to extend burn time if for some reason a person needs smoke 

for signaling or insect control depending on local flora mixed green and dried grasses works very well.

This is the place where I always like to inject that people need to know their flora certain seedlings  twigs vines and weeds

are very unhealthy to breathe their smoke touch or ingest juices or sap I see all these survival shows and only Cody Lundine

address this and only as the show time and plot allow.

Here is a link to some informative pictures and information,

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/pictures.html

An old adage was,  "leaves of three let it be" 

another site has poisonous plants look at #7 for all those who think that edible plants are completely safe

http://www.oddee.com/item_97805.aspx

Another example is the tomato plant the fruit is edible but the leaves are not

http://www.poisoncontrol.org/prevention/poisonous-plants.cfm

All cultures have imported and propagated decorative plants with them came vines weeds and unexpected hitch hikers like 

Fire ants spiders of various kinds to make things worse illegal exotic animals have created a whole new problem of parasites

internal and external new skin  / diseases may be a problem for our native animals.

Some animals can cross breed  lucky for us it has limited possibilities as nature {God} in his all knowing way separated the animal

kingdom.

For all that do not believe I give you as an example the platypus the sloth and the sea slug each of these defies the laws set forth

by any Darwinian theorist and and even gives creationists pause { I love it the diversity is nothing short of fantastic}.

My reason for saying this is not to impose a ideal but to let people know not everything in the wild can be categorized I have 

seen a coyote  crossbreed dog now they are not suppose to be able to do that but I know the man and seen the taxidermy mount

weird is all I can say.

It is and has been proven that Chupa cabre are real DNA evidence has proven it is not a wolf coyote or a dog does it mean anything

well depends what camp your in It makes me no difference as I raise animals any threat to my livestock is dead meat.

if your some UFO alien breeding  or a complete skeptic your cornering yourself  into an untenable place.

Life is a force a driving force and it will prevail scientist find new species every day not weeks or months PER DAY over a thousand

last year alone.

I have heard but cannot verify that non poisonous snakes have crossbred with poisonous ones spiders have and did in the past

invaded certain areas a whole neighborhood and one house is infested with brown recluse spiders WHY? I have no clue,

BUT it happens while in the woods / forest expect to run across odd,  crazy or natural events.

As Sigmund Freud once said "sometimes a cigar is just a cigar" I point to recent mass bird and fish kills storms are more likely than

UFO's and black helicopters up-drafting winds kill flocks of birds all the time lightning kills fish.

The stove looks great I think everyone should own a stove of this type even if they never intend to camp an extended power outage

and just the litter and dried grass in your yard can using a small pan could cook eggs heat precooked items or thinly sliced.

raw meat and fish and shell fish are quickly cooked as long as it is not thick.

It has a place in any household even apartment dwellers could find enough fuel in the green belt space to fire one of these.

just be aware that not all greenery is safe to touch breathe in as smoke or use as bedding people use to use a frayed stick as a tooth brush

or sharpened stick as a tooth pick now imagine that was a poison or toxic plant?