Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

Kelty.

Not that it matters much cause everyone likes what they like, but the Maxpedition Jumbo EDC comes with a waist strap to keep it from bouncing all around keeping it on your backside. You can also remove it and store it in the bag in case you need it later.

Just thought I would mention.

Not that it matters much cause everyone likes what they like, but the Maxpedition Jumbo EDC comes with a waist strap to keep it from bouncing all around keeping it on your backside. You can also remove it and store it in the bag in case you need it later.

Just thought I would mention.

sure does CCsir. i like it. it will fit my needs well i think.

yes i would like a small backpack for the job but i cant find one that fits me well that isnt overkill

for a get home bag. plus this bag will make a great go to the shooting range bag too.

The Kelty is cool. I've never had the opportunity to test one out. Its a cool bag to have a few things in it to get home with. go hiking, or go on a 3 night weekend trip. I just favor the more tactical / molle / expeditions bags. The space is important to me, and the overall usage of some of them. Being able to strap additional space to them and the water space is important I feel.

CCSir - I definitely noticed the waist strap. Its still a cool bag, but I just dont think its meant for any type of survival bugging out. Not even in the smallest capacity. I might be wrong. I feel like even in a GHB you need a decent extra jacket, a pair of boots or shoes ( in the event you cant wear waterproof boots to work ) It reminds me of a photographers bag. I would use this bag, if I had to walk threw a bad neighborhood every night to get home and I had to keep my hand wrapped around a pistol. I wouldn't even bring this bag on a mission to get supplies once I was at my bug out location. There simply not enough room. Its a cool briefcase to carry back and forth to work, you can put some stuff in it like water filtration pills and a knife and a space blanket. If you did stuff the bag full of stuff and you did strap it around your waist wouldnt the shoulder strap hurt your neck or shoulder? I get bruises on my shoulder and neck if I have too much weight in my bag.

I still have my bag, I use it to carry my laptop around when I go back and forth between houses and train rides out to Long Island.

Rick - Its always preference man. It would make an excellent range bag for sure. But I guarantee you in a few months when you get most of your bug out gear, you'll be looking to upgrade.

Edited by SEAN

Rick,

What is your get home situation? You're near ATL right? Can you walk home if your car goes down or a huge traffic jam? Depending on the GH situation and how much gear you need to carry makes a bit difference on the bag choice. For a Light GHB kit prettying anything will do. I live and work in a city, so I walk a few miles to and a few miles from work each day. My main bag used to be a Timbuk2 messamger bag. Love it. However I recently switched to a TopoDesigns backpack. Which I love even more. I switched because I had to start carrying my laptop and having that extra weight on one shoulder was hurting my back and shoulders. The backpack is much better for walking. Of course if you are riding a bike, the messanger bag would be fine. They were made for bike messengers afterall.:)

Sean,

I use mine as a GHB, and as that role it is perfect. (At least for me that is.) Things like coats and waterproof boots/shoes will be worn on my way out the door. If not I didn't plan accordingly for the day. If there is something I need that isn't in there I can go to my car and get anything extra that isn't in the bag.

I certainly wouldn't use it as a BOB. Not enough room, for sure. Wouldn't even consider it, but there is enough room to have everything I would need in order to get home.

As always, everyone's opinion is appreciated though. To each their own.

I will try to post some pictures of what is possible with this bag........ if I can figure out how to post pictures. I will see what I can do.

Rick,

What is your get home situation? You're near ATL right? Can you walk home if your car goes down or a huge traffic jam? Depending on the GH situation and how much gear you need to carry makes a bit difference on the bag choice. For a Light GHB kit prettying anything will do. I live and work in a city, so I walk a few miles to and a few miles from work each day. My main bag used to be a Timbuk2 messamger bag. Love it. However I recently switched to a TopoDesigns backpack. Which I love even more. I switched because I had to start carrying my laptop and having that extra weight on one shoulder was hurting my back and shoulders. The backpack is much better for walking. Of course if you are riding a bike, the messanger bag would be fine. They were made for bike messengers afterall.:)

hey matt how are ya?

yep im in ATL. i can get home from just about anywhere i go USA. ive hitch rides all over the eastcoast

back when i was a teen and know the ropes on that. but yes, most places i go here in ATL i can get home

if my car gets rendered useless at the time.

Sean,

I use mine as a GHB, and as that role it is perfect. (At least for me that is.) Things like coats and waterproof boots/shoes will be worn on my way out the door. If not I didn't plan accordingly for the day. If there is something I need that isn't in there I can go to my car and get anything extra that isn't in the bag.

I certainly wouldn't use it as a BOB. Not enough room, for sure. Wouldn't even consider it, but there is enough room to have everything I would need in order to get home.

As always, everyone's opinion is appreciated though. To each their own.

I will try to post some pictures of what is possible with this bag........ if I can figure out how to post pictures. I will see what I can do.

looking forward to these pics (if possible) im thinking between the kelty and the max, i should be covered

enough for the situations i forsee happening in this neck of the woods USA.

my girlfriend has a big toploader that she used to explore africa with and a fatbox max will round her out also in the emergency bag situation as well i think.