Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

Kelty.

I like it as a get home bag or a point A to point B bag. I would also add some strap material so if you need to you can attach something to the web straps on the bottom.(sleeping bag, tool bag, what ever). Kelty makes good products

Plate loading means a backpack that has several pouches that are more or less plate shaped. The other kind would be Top Loading, where there is only one main pouch that everything is placed into.

Plate Loading:

post-126-1385149768_thumb.jpg

Top Loading:

post-126-13851497680175_thumb.jpg

However, this is just a personal preference based on the gear I tend to pack and how I like to organize. Some people prefer the plate loading as it allows you to further pack your gear into sections. I personally can never seem to remember where I pack something when I do it that way and I pack better with a Top Loader.

And I mean only 1-2 days, because--again this is based on my own personal experience and I'm sure Captain Bart or someone else has had different experiences--I find that the extra divisions make it harder to pack food. If I had 2 backpacks of the same size, I've always been able to get more into a top loader than a plate loader.

ok im following ya know. i can see where maybe a top loader might be easier to get more stuff into. my luck however would be that what im needing would freakin be on the very bottom lol.

hell im just lucky im actually finding packs my size. i got measured today at REI. im 21in in the spinal area if that means anything to you guys.

Yes means you need a bag 21inches. lol. I actually don't know. That bag looks dope. Delta is right about the top loader compared to the plate loader. But You can find a really big plate loader. I need a plate loader because I need organization. My one plate voodoo plate loader is so big i can keep everything in the main compartment. I use the extra pockets for tools and other stuff needed. Main compartment, sleeping bag, tent, clothes, shovels, I pack all of my underwear, socks in a water proof vinyl bag so it compresses down.

My wife uses a Kelty as her BOB/hiking bag, and although I don't ever use it (it's a "girly color":D), she is capable of putting a lot of weight in it, and carrying it comfortably for two day trips.

I was thinking of getting myself an old Large ALICE backpack, and having MOLLE straps attached to some parts by a tailor/seamstress/someone in that field so I can add a few pouches for extra organization. Best of both worlds then.

Two of my daughters have the Kelty 44 which is basically just a slightly smaller version of the Kelty 50. I’ve never heard any complaints about the bags. They were originally purchased as Bug Out Bags but are being used more and more as 3-day hiking bags. As often as they are used I would have thought that I’d see more wear and tear but they appear to be holding up well. Currently they are hanging on either side of the mud room door fully loaded for 3 days of living essentials..

I agree with Delta 7 about top loading bags. Of course this is what I'm used to and what I like. About not being able to find anything, there are two keys to that. One, is to have a system for loading the bag. Less used items (sleeping kit, dinner food, etc) and heavier things nearer the bottom and closer to your center of gravity. This will make a huge difference when you are walking for miles and hours too boot. Put first aid kit and other quick grab items in top pouch and outside pockets. Second key is to use ditty bags to put your stuff in before you load the backpack. Helps organization and with waterproofing too.

One other observation is panel/plate loading bags tend to be heavier in my experience. More zippers and pockets means more weight. Those ounces really add up. You want a durable bag, but not one that weighs as much as your gear.

The two most important things you need to be sure about is a good hip belt to distribute the weight and to make sure the bag fits you.

My current bag is http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/mens/atmos_50. Super light and comfortable, but real tough at the same time. I've had great success with Gregory packs too: http://www.gregorypacks.com/home

All that said, pick a bag you like.

Again, depends on what you're going to use it for.

35-60 liters are typically the 2-3 day bags. That means they have enough space to carry (if you know how to pack and don't bring too much useless shit) enough stuff for 3-5 days of survival.

Once you get into the 70 Liter range, that the 5-7 day packing size.

While they let you carry more, this isn't a video game. Carrying more means the backpack will be heavier. That slows you down and makes you use more energy. But, if your bug out plan involves a vehicle, then get a big one, your car's gonna carry it and not you, so why stop at only one bag? Get a few duffles ready also.

im with ya delta7. i was just talking with the g.friend about getting one of those big duffle bags.

i figure i need stages actually. the kelty will be the bare bones "gotta have" stuff. basic needs with maybe a change or two of clothes. the bag thats gotta go no matter what, no matter where.

plus i can use it to practice/go camping for the weekend. as for a "get home bag", im thinking of one of these here, http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/Versipacks-c4.htm

these pack will get the job done, one i'll leave in my car at all times. again this will be a bare bones bag,

limited to the most urgent of gear and needs.

facing the fact that no matter how big the bag, there is always more you will want to bring.

if im using either of these bags when SHTF, it will be because im/we are in trouble and im bringing what i think im gonna need to get through the most likely of events in my region/area.

Tell ya what, if you want a small EDC or GHB for the car, I'd go with this:

http://www.jansport.com/js_product_detail.php?cid=1&pid=TYP7

I've had this exact model of backpack since Junior High (10 years). It's gone through Jr High, High School, college, trips to Texis, Colorado, D.C., Mexico, Rome, London, Paris and still is as good as the day I bought it.

This is my favorite backpack, and they're not expensive as hell. Plus, its extremely basic looking so it's great for OPSEC. They sell them all over the place for about $50, but if you wait till a "back to school" special, I've seen them as low as $25.

i tried jansport when looking for a BOB. ya gotta remember, im a big fugger ok lol

everything i tried from jansport looked like a pk of cigs taped to my back. sucks cause

jansport makes great stuff. the max side bag will do ok. ive seen one and was amazed.

great quality. they fit well and a sweet inner pocket for keep dry stuff and a sub compact

handgun. do a youtube search on the max bag i mentioned above. you might like it enough to want one yourself.

It's a bit too small for my taste. I've got a Jansport Messenger Bag that I switch out for my backpack every now and again that works just fine. I always like to have one or the other on me, even if they're empty (except for the mini first aid kit, travel sized duct tape roll, flashlight and lighter I keep in the front pouch).

Rick,

The Maxpedition Jumbo EDC is great for a GHB. At first I wasn't sure how much stuff I would be able to put in there, but I was able to get everything and more that I wanted. I also went and purchased the Janus Extension Pocket to add a little more gear.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/JANUS%E2%84%A2-Extension-Pocket-7p394.htm

thats the one im interested in. im getting one for my girlfriend and myself.

shes always incharge of the dog handling so that will be perfect for her too.

Rick. Those messenger style bags are a waste of money man. Having weight unevenly in the long run home when the looters are chasing people threw the streets will show you why it's important to have a bag secured tightly to your body. a bag like that on a large frame will look like a purse. I don't want to sound like a a**hole. I'm just basing my opinions on experience and product testing. I got one of those messenger bags and I really enjoyed it Carrying my laptop back and forth in one very similar to those it was good for. There's very little room in any of those bags. THere range bags. You want it just to get home? I hate pushing my what I think is the ideal bag, those will work but those will be a waste of money. I believe a bag of any type of bug out, get home, or disappear bag should have a water holder for some type of bladder or camel pak. I mentioned to you about those voodoo Tactical bags. There newer bag the matrix is a really good get home bag. Do you still plan on using a mountIn bike as your bug out vehicle? The more I think about having to bounce in a hurry I wonder if my apocalypse wrangler is worth leaving down here instead of having it at my location. I showed you the trailer for the mountain bikes I'm having built for me. The only reason I am bringing it up is because you mentioned the Duffel bag. I have a few duffel bags packed to the hilt with stuff I feel like I need. I have a rack ontop ofmy jeep where these waterproof bags will be tied down too. But if I have to ditch the jeep I have all this stuff. Man. There is sooo much planning. I am changing the jeep over to bio diesel. I plan on making my own fuel. They sell kits to make it for a few grand.

Rick I know how frustrating getting this step can be. Getting these bags is important. Getting the right one is important so you don't waste monies and can spend it on other cool shit.

I have those steal canisters for you too man.

THE MATRIX BAG < ---- CLICK LINK

THE TOBAGO <--- CLICK LINK

I feel like and im sure so many others on this forum will tell you Molle is the way to go, you can always add a extra pouch/bag/kit/first aid to it easily.

I have so many bags, Ive help't so many friends build bags off of bags I purchased but wouldnt use because I had to learn from my own mistakes, and truthfully I didnt have anyone who was also preparing. I was embarrassed to talk about this stuff. Because people looked at me like I WAS THE RETARD. which is funny because I LOOK AT THEM LIKE THEYRE STUPID for not preparing. funny. But now everyone I hold at any standards is preparing.

Edited by SEAN

I have to agree here. The few times I've been running to classes with my messenger bag, the thing flops around non stop and really can throw you off balance if it's loaded with enough weight. Much better to be able to grab the straps on the backpack shoulder harness, give it a quick pull and take off with it secure.