Sign in to follow this  
MikeE

Hiking Boots

Hopefully this is the proper thread for posting questions about boots. The only hiking boots I own are very old and need to be replaced. Do any of you have any recommendations? They will be needed for a wide range of temps and terrain. Also, as I get older, the feet just aren't what they used to be...I have what feels like the beginning of a spur on the left foot.

So, comfort/padding/support are very important. Thanks is advance.

MikeE,

Welcome to the forum. I am joining with you in this request. I am also looking for some reliable hiking boots with the addition that I need extra ankle support (old injuries never really go away, they just lay in wait until you hit 40). I have big feet (13W and up depending on the manufacturer) so finding a good fit for me has always been a chore.

I have a pair of Nike Salbolier Hiking Boots, theyre mid size, waterproof, and with a pair of wool socks, able to be hiked in for miles and miles with no blisters or foot fatigue. Last hike i was on was a 12 mile hike. Mine are a different color than the link (black and grey, which are out of stock), but out of the many different pairs of boots i have owned, only my Timberlands were more comfy (i did not hike in them, i worked in them)

EDIT: owned my pair for 2 years now

Nike Hiking Boots

Edited by Sonoran6

I recently bought a pari of Tactical Research Kyber Mountain boots. They are overly comfy. http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productid=20824&tabid=548 I really like em. They come in black, like these which i got, multicam, tan, and that ugly Army greyish green color. I have also worn Bates Lights, and they are really comfortable as well, but didn't provide the support that I needed in my ankles. The benfit of the Khybers, is that they are light, and hold up to the elements well. I am using them now as everyday boots, and they are handling the cold where I am at very well. i know they aren't technically hiking boots, but I have found that most military footwear is a hiking boot on steroids. If you have the money to pony up for them, you could also get these http://www.uscav.com/productinfo.aspx?productid=5556&tabid=548&catid=386 They are what i was issued when i first went in, and they are very rugged. I couldn't wreck them no matter what i did. they are very heavy though, but they will last a long time if you take care of them, reducing the $$$ per use over time. If I had to choose between the Khyber and the Matterhorn, i really couldnt tell you. One is long lasting as all get out, and the other is like wearing a tennis shoe (that would be the Khyber). hope this helps.

Texas Bill,

Just as a side note to you. Don't discount a really good pair of inserts for you boots or foot wear. I have had several pairs of boots and shoes that I had thought were pretty much worn out. Purchased some good inserts and i have gotten so much more wear out of them.

I have found some of the best constructed boots as far as durability wise don't really feel good on my feet after I get them "broken in". Inserts are way less expensive then continually purchasing new boots and foot wear to find a pair that feel good.

Just some thoughts.

I'd suggest looking at Danner (http://www.danner.com/) boots. Haven't owned them before but looking to soon. Made in the US and most of thier boots can be resolved by the company. They make some excellent hiking boots ( e.g. Mountain Lights) as well as Combat boots that look pretty great too. If you are interested in light hiking boots or trail runners Mintrail makes some great ones. Lastly, Vasque is a another great boot company. I've owned a pair for about 12 years which have just now finally worn out.

I have a pair of Nike Salbolier Hiking Boots, theyre mid size, waterproof, and with a pair of wool socks, able to be hiked in for miles and miles with no blisters or foot fatigue. Last hike i was on was a 12 mile hike. Mine are a different color than the link (black and grey, which are out of stock), but out of the many different pairs of boots i have owned, only my Timberlands were more comfy (i did not hike in them, i worked in them)

EDIT: owned my pair for 2 years now

Nike Hiking Boots

Those look awesome. Im gonna have to try them out this spring.

Bought a pair of hiking boots 10 years ago that are Asolo Brand boots that have been rebadged as REI band.

Look for good padding in the Ankle collars and the tongue. a good shank made of metal or thermoplastic helps in torsional rigidity and good arch support.Multi density mid soles are great impact reducers. I always look for vibram soles and gore-tex. Learn some of the lacing tricks backpackers use to make the boot work best for your foot.