Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dave fuches

don't forget the water

6 posts in this topic

hey everyone i'm dave and i'm kind of new here. i'm a kayaker (my gf and i have 3) and i'm curious if anyone else out there is living in or near cities with waterways. being on the water can put some distance between you and potential chaos/mayhem and can give you the ability to bypass traffic jams/roadblocks. they're not as fast as a car, but in certain situations could provide a strong backup getaway.

in my humble opinion, boats are often overlooked as escape or bug out vehicles. in our 3 kayaks, we can haul about 700lbs (plus ourselves) and make an easy 5mph all day (or night) without a drop of gas or any sound whatsoever.

I have a friend who has a fairly large sailboat with an auxiliary motor. His plans are to head down the river to the Bay. Its a little bit of distance but he figures he can make good time. The river is fairly wide in most places, sometimes up to 5 miles. He figures he can live off the water for as long as he needs to. Has a "watermaker" that converts saltwater to freshwater. Says he has enough supplies to last 6 months for him, his wife and their son. He is trying to talk me into looking at boats as well. Problem is, I have NO idea about sailing. LOL. And big waves aint my friend!

Still, excellent idea to look at bugging out of your AO by water, as long as you have a place to go. Living off the land and traveling by kayak means you have to stay on the river.

Living very near the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi rivers, I have thought about the waters as a way to get out and away. There is a launch about 6 miles away that can take small houses boats and upriver from the confluence. The idea I have is to get  a pontoon boat that hasn't been cared for and the deck and basicly everything above the pontoons is rotten and trashed (there are plenty to be found if you look) and basicly build a "shed" on it, not for so much sleeping and living necessarily but more a floating pantry/tool crib. If you look at the area you can get "lost" in it every quick and easy or just float on down to any point, even hang a left in to the bayou....with six in my group this would be the cheapest way to have a water escape and it would be great for some long weekend trips to camp/fish/hunt...live...in those same wild areas that few get to.

wally likes this

I like the concept it has merit but needs to be implemented with correct timing. 

Pirates have NEVER gone away in fact they surge in numbers and techniques as times change and some become very good at taking vessels and cargo.  in the roaring 1920's the Pirates were running guns and booze and today they run dope and guns.  These are insurgents but in TEOTWAWKI it will be offensive IMO.

In the case of a societal breakdown factions will hold key points on waterways just like feudal lords did with castles on the great rivers plundering or taxing passing vessels. This will also be true of roadways converging and transitioning road and rail will be points for major conflicts any cursory reading of history from the 300 to all the bridge and river crossings and battles should set your mind to the fact that unless your a member of a large flotilla that have communications and tested naval strategies you could easily get picked off one at a time and the stragglers looted .

Water is a two edge sword if in cases of NBC those letters should strike fear in any normal human being and they can be a process of war or accident look at these and tell me that a natural disaster accident or some act by persons could not bring about these same troubles

Charleston, W.Va., and two companies implicated in a 2014 chemical spill that poisoned drinking water for hundreds of thousands of people.

December 2, 1984, a plant in Bhopal, India, released at least 30 tons of a highly toxic gas and a number of other poisonous gases. The pesticide plant was surrounded by 600,000 people being exposed to the deadly gas cloud Estimates of the death toll from as few as 3,800 to as many as 16,000, Toxic material remains, and 30 years later, many who were exposed to the gas have given birth to disabled children. For decades !

Aug 9, 2015  Durango and La Plata County in Colorado  3 million gallons of early 1900 mining waste. went into the river  Officials have warned people in the region to avoid contact with the river as the contaminated water pulses through. The EPA is also warning people with wells in nearby floodplains to have their water tested before drinking or bathing.

July 2012 spill polluted more than 20 miles of Beaver Creek, wiping out 148,283 fish and 17,563 freshwater mussels, according to reports from state biologists. Four years later, the creek's aquatic life has only begun to recover.

First why I bring this up is that the U.S. has many reactors that under a natural disaster wreak havoc in many areas literally wiping out or making it impossible to traverse huge swaths of the country.   March 11 2011Fukushima is a natural disaster made more horrible by the damage of many of the reactors there it in't over by a long shot.

Water way down stream would be a toxic soup and most people would have no way of knowing until it killed them.

Water, basic and life sustaining in this we can expect a exponential decline in population in a swift and calculated toll in certain disasters including collateral damage to other infrastructure  consider broken fuel gas and sewer lines how many companies have retention ponds or tanks of chemicals that we need but in their concentrated forms are deadly  !  now imagine a cloud of chemicals and a rain storm that carries across the land miles away.

Well I hope I gave you something to add another line on your graph --- starting at millions and nose diving to zero depending on the region it industries and the habits of earthquakes floods and extreme weather because unless there is fuel power and equipment to stay the onslaught or stop the reactors and plants that run 24/7 we could loose a whole region of the country and it could well spread in dozens of ways well beyond our ability to contain it or mitigate it's death and destruction.

This is why I rail against the press and MSM we are not being told the aftermath or the long term effects of these disasters. and there are people sick dying or having children with defects and all we get to look at it a Kardashians azz.... this is why this nation is on it's way out we have failed the people by allowing lunatics to run our country --- greed is good we are only now learning what some knew 40 years ago of just how vile nepotist  and corrupt nation building hell these people were kingdom building right under our noses and we allowed it, bureaucrats have more power than the people and if we do not look at improving our ability to make power and industrial disasters more quickly manageable it will be our destruction  it is not impossible we have lost our way or forgot that we live in a world that we will leave to our children and what will we leave ?  A place where they can recover and use even our pollution or a spoiled heap of rotting flesh disease and famine ?

we have deadman switches to react when human intervention is impossible we are too interconnected and to damned hung up on technology and robotic interface we have lost our humanity and instead or fixing this we have a bunch of Luddites that think we need to go back to the caves and farming with hand tools that is insane we need less tech and more common sense in it's application my tractor does not need tech nor does my vehicle it can have them peripherally to augment inform and keep check   but it's failure should not prevent it's operation our lives depend on their functioning  we think we are connected and building groups because we have instant communication but we are loosing our interpersonal communication, people and individual/ assessment skills.   more people are being scammed because they have no sense people with education worldly cannot or will not perform  do diligence and get ripped off --- why a lack of common sense a lack of personal humbleness that allows us to see things in a clear light too embedded in our drama and not in our families as individuals. save the animals , ecosystem,  planet and not save but screw our lives up.

There is no good without God if you worry that God might get upset with you that would make you think your actions through IMO. and this is in all patterns of life I have to remember that Christ died for the liberal then crazy the poor the unborn and those that abort them and he love them and me ?   YES HE DOES.

Prepping is personal responsibility taken to an individual level, but we need to see that our morals and manner needs to be a part of prepping as well so we can have some guidance beyond and more knowledgeable than ourselves why 

Romans 8:30 - 32And those He predestined He also called, those He called He also justified, those He justified He also glorified. 31What then shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32He who did not spare His own Son but gave Him up for us all, how will He not also, along with Him, freely give us all things?…

There is and should be a certain amount of "sense" to prepping and plans of what and  how much because it is easy to loose sight of too many things and place your faith in things that ruin  die rot or rust. A lesson we could learn from any squirrel is how much time he wastes on foraging rake around any tree and you find a lot of nuts he forgot missed or lost maybe dies before he could eat them and when he runs it is out of fright not with intense consideration --- we do not need to be like squirrels.  tell your children you want time and fun with them if your screaming like a drill Sergent or on the other end wringing your hands pacing your doing it wrong  building confidence and  trust with love is better IMHO.

As far as water I think it is best to find out what is upstream how long will it take to impact you and how or if you can use that to your advantage or work within it before you make that your plan A, B  or C   IMHO.

wally likes this