Sign in to follow this  
Texas Bill

Country living- windmills

Anyone here have experience with using one for pumping water? I know they were in great vogue "back in the day", but does anyone know of a good company that still makes them for this purpose and have a ballpark on the price involved?

I have a friend with a nice piece of land in northeast Texas, and he has a creek running through the property but as we know here, that is a chancy thing with drought conditions. He already has a water well in place, but of course he is dependent on his electric power to run it.

Thanks, guys. Actually, there ARE a lot of manufacturers but unlike cars, difficult to test drive something like this. I am leaning towards solar for myself in my bug-in scenario, but I would like to have a backup bug out location as well and this would help. Matt, I really like the look of Back Wood Solar and I have heard good word of mouth about them.

My ideal would be a BOL with a combo of wind/solar power. Solar backs up to reserves whereas wind power tends to be used as it's generated, and wind kicks up in bad/cold weather when solar won't be as reliable (like most of the winter!). This company is likely the one I'd seek out to set it up, but they are NOT cheap.

As for using a windmill for water, there is a really great comprehensive overview and firsthand account here:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ainsworth90.html

And this guy built a water pump windmill on his own:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnyK4camI6c

Bill, if I got it right, you're thinking about your friend's location for your BOL. Does that mean he is a prepper as well? If so, there is a hand pump available for wells. Fairly easy to install

I totally agree with femvet59, that a hand pump would be the better way to go. If you have a windmill turning above your BOL, then you may as well have a flag that says, "Here I am". Hand pump may be slower but it is also safer. IMHO

Is there a limit as to how deep you can pump with a hand pump? Being in a dry climate that well could be hundreds of feet down. A friend of mine had trouble with water in his celler, he hooked up a D.C. pump to a 12v marine battery that was in turn hooked to a small solar panel. It works independantly of his home power source. This may work if you can find a strong enough pump.

Is there a limit as to how deep you can pump with a hand pump? Being in a dry climate that well could be hundreds of feet down. A friend of mine had trouble with water in his celler, he hooked up a D.C. pump to a 12v marine battery that was in turn hooked to a small solar panel. It works independantly of his home power source. This may work if you can find a strong enough pump.

Yeah, there is. It is normally about 25 to 30 ft. However, there are manual pumps that can handle a couple hundred feet. It is called The Simple Pump and I did a review on it here on the forum. Just use the search to look for "The Simple Pump".

Hope that helps.