Sign in to follow this  
coyote

Who makes a low-priced AR that will last?

Capt Bart do you mean the .450 marlin?

No, sir, I didn't. The Marlin Guide Gun can/could be purchased in the .45-70 Marlin caliber. It has approximately the same ballistics as the .444 Marlin. In fact, I have read (can't verify beyond that) that the purpose for the .444 Marlin was to reduce the chances of chambering the .45-70 Marlin into a .45-70 Govt rifle. Essentially, Marlin built a stronger action/rifle to take advantage of the extra room the .45-70 case has when loaded with modern powder. This gives much better ballistics that a .45-70 Govt which has black powder ballistics.

[/url]

http://bigborefan.wordpress.com/2010/06/01/the-450-marlin-vs-the-45-70/

The second link seems to indicate that the .450 Marlin may actually be what I purchased as a .45-70 Marlin. It looks like they took a .45-70 case, belted it so it would not fit a Govt. gun and now call it a .450 Marlin. I don't know, I will have to explore that some and see what I come up with for an answer.

Thanks for the question, wardog. I haven't looked for ammo for it for a while, now I'll have to check it out.

any brand is good for 5000 rds, and most are good for more like 20,000 rds. 10,000 rds, of even 25c per shot steel cases is $2500. If you can afford to wear it out by shooting it, you can also afford to replace it, or certainly, replace worn parts.

Windham Weaponry makes exquisite AR variants, best bang for the buck I know of. I have personally toured the plant, have my AR armorer's certificate through them, and my personal SHTF AR has a Windham Weaponry SRC HB upper. I also own an 18" .308 AR-10 from W-W; I reviewed here: http://survivalcache.com/survival-gear-review-windham-weaponry-r18fsfsm-308/  I own Colts and have had older and newer Bushmasters, but I like My Windham Weaponry guns best. I wouldn't even glance at a DPMS or a new Bushmaster, or other "budget" guns. If I had a grand to spend on an AR, I'd get a Windham Weaponry CDI or SRC and never look back.