Sign in to follow this  
socalocalypse

What emergency scenario are you prepping for?!?

My personal approach is to plan for two different events happening simultaneously, a Coronal Mass Ejection and the Yellowstone Supervolcano erupting. Will either of those happen? No idea. The odds aren't necessarily great that even one of those two will happen, but less both at the same time. However, if I'm prepared for both, I figure I should be able to weather anything.

So how does one get to that point? Well, to start with, I started planning for power outages (relatively common, all things considered). After that, tornadoes and floods which happen far to often for me to be really comfortable. Then on and on, layer after layer. I can handle the small stuff easily enough, and am working towards larger and larger problems. Right now, I'm working towards civil unrest/economic collapse.

Oh yeah, I've got my AK and stuff like that, but does it matter? I'd rather have a guy next to me with an old Marlin 30-30 who knows how to use it than some tool with an AR decked out with $1500 worth of gizmos and no clue about anything except being some warrior deity despite not even really knowing what he's doing. I look at using my AK for anything other than game as a sign of failure...it means I didn't do a good enough job being careful.

Here's hoping this remains academic versus becoming a reality ;)

Guest survival101

good thread. tinderwolf made my blood run cold. that's what i'm prepping for.

but seriously, any of it could happen. except maybe zombies, and what are they but a metaphor for sheeple who are cold and hungry and rash and stupid. the mob mentality in action.

most likely here are nuclear core breach, due to error or major earthquake along the new madrid fault. long term fallout, forgive my pun.

hurricane with temporary loss of the power grid due to inland tornadoes and influx of hordes of ill-prepared refugees and loss of the refineries and blockage of the trucking routes. long lines and eventual shutdown of gas stations and grocery stores. in fact, a standstill of almost all retail. temporary and uncomfortable.

Pandemic. Long or Short Term. Unsanitary living conditions, illness, lack of adequate health care, and all the bleak prospect that goes with this scenario.

CME/EMP resulting in long term damage to the grid.

And as for Zombies. They are playing Xbox and watching TV as we speak. Don't let the grid go down or you will see them in force, thinking they can use their video acquired skills to take on any and all comers. Truly hell on earth. (Said with tongue in cheek, but am I wrong on that...)

I will have to say we are prepping for tornadoes, due to the fact that last april 2011, they ripped thru a few communities that I live next to. They just leveled Camp Creek Tennessee, Horse Creek Tennessee (used to do a lot of capming at Horse Creek), and beleive it or not just minutes after the tornadoes passed thru, people was already starting to steal and carry things off.

The next thing we prepping for is almighty gas shortage, because we all know that if the Big Trucks can't make deliveries it won't be a good thing. I feel that's when you will have to defend our home and family against people who are not prepared. Defending my home and family is something I would have a problem doing.

The next thing is a EMP...hope that never happens but who know's things sure are crazy from the weather to the people.

survival101 I think your an optimist LOL I see it a bit different.

("Pandemic. Long or Short Term. Unsanitary living conditions, illness, lack of adequate

health care, and all the bleak prospect that goes with this scenario.")

Stop the bus {short bus} we are here many municipal water treatment

facilities can not pass water safety standards.

obama care what can I say, AIDS tuberculosis and drug addicts Alzheimer's and

whooping cough and a few others if all were combined we do have a pandemic

unemployment is way over the stated 8.3 percent as all that have exhausted their benefits

are not counted and neither are the teens who never had a job and the under employed

{50K a year now making minimum wage}

IMHO but I see your point

My personal approach is to plan for two different events happening simultaneously, a Coronal Mass Ejection and the Yellowstone Supervolcano erupting. Will either of those happen? No idea. The odds aren't necessarily great that even one of those two will happen, but less both at the same time. However, if I'm prepared for both, I figure I should be able to weather anything.

So how does one get to that point? Well, to start with, I started planning for power outages (relatively common, all things considered). After that, tornadoes and floods which happen far to often for me to be really comfortable. Then on and on, layer after layer. I can handle the small stuff easily enough, and am working towards larger and larger problems. Right now, I'm working towards civil unrest/economic collapse.

Oh yeah, I've got my AK and stuff like that, but does it matter? I'd rather have a guy next to me with an old Marlin 30-30 who knows how to use it than some tool with an AR decked out with $1500 worth of gizmos and no clue about anything except being some warrior deity despite not even really knowing what he's doing. I look at using my AK for anything other than game as a sign of failure...it means I didn't do a good enough job being careful.

Here's hoping this remains academic versus becoming a reality ;)

Tom,

1066? Battle of Hastings? There will ALWAYS be an England!

I do agree about the guy with the Marlin. I have always been blessed to have steady man at my back when things got uncomfortable. Having all the latest stuff gets you nowhere except maybe dead if you panic.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Prepping for the following:

Weather related issues ie. tornados, snowed in etc.

Short term power failures ( see weather since it's usually the reason power is out in rural TN )

The roaming hoard of lost and scared people ( I guess that loosely qualifies as zombies )

If it's financial collapse, Donald Trump won't have enough $ to survive, therefore I have no chance of having enough $ on hand.

If the poles shift, Yellowstone blows it's top, major earthquake, or nuclear assalut / fallout comes my way, my meager bunker ( if I had one ) probably won't be able to survive neather.

My preps are three tiered

1. I live in an area prone to hurricanes. We haven't had a bad one since Hugo in 1989 and most people have forgotten what it was like or moved here from up north and have no idea what to expect. I expect my family to be on our own for a minimum of two weeks up to a month if we don't bug out beforehand.

2. In 1886 a massive earthquake hit this area and the fault line is still very active. There have been 5 small rumbles under 3.0 less than a mile from my house since the first of the year. Bugging out will not be an option. The areas me and my wife work require crossing large bridges to get home that might be out of service. In each of our vehicles we have a get home bag with maps highlighting safe routes to a rally location. I expect to be on our own for a minimum of a month up to three months.

3. This event is the unknown and I am planning on it being a life altering event. Be it an EMP from Iran, China or North Korea, a carrington event, economic collapse, peak oil, zombies, ect... This level requires preps for the rest of my life.

I am set on tiers one and two which are the most probable. I am still working toward tier three. This tier is being planned with friends and family as it cannot be handled on my own.

Edited by TheSwampFox

we always try to do short term prepping for storms and power outages and the occasional ice storm here in NC, my WCS for what I think is most likely is either economic collapse or EMP which would cause the other. hell a zombie scenario would be the best of all cases in my mind, they are slow easy to kill they dont think or form strategy. hell it would almost be fun :). but seriously the mobs of scared, hungry, thirsty people fleeing the cities are what scare me.

Guest kevin

i don't prep for any one event. i try to simply store the goods, and learn the skills i would need to live self sufficiently with an eye toward defending my stores. in the event i have to flee my provisions the skills travel lite and, hopefully, will keep me in the game long enough to regroup.

i do have a question about the ak however. it is my understanding that it was designed to be a full auto first and a rifle second. with that in mind why is it so popular among preppers? even if you have the knowledge to convert it to a full auto would it be good to do so with the majority not being used to controlling a sustained burst? not to mention the amount of ammo that would be wasted. for me it seems a waste, but hey ,if it works for you go for it.

Both the AK and the AR were designed to be assault weapons, used primarily for full auto fire. The difference is in the complexity of the weapon, the size of the round, and the tolerances.

The AK was built to be simple to build, easy to carry, simple to use, and simple to care for. The average grunt was not expected to be a skilled rifleman, just to put lead downrange. It succeeded brilliantly - hence its place as the most common rifle in the world. It is, without exception, the easy weapon to maintain I have ever seen. The down side is that the AK accuracy can be problematic out past 200 yards.

The AR was designed to be a weapon that the average GI could use in full auto mode with some reasonable control and a light enough weight so you could carry it in RVN. It accomplished this with a .22 caliber round instead of the AK's and M14's .30 caliber round. It was built of aircraft grade material to extremely close tolerances. While it is light, easy to carry and shoot and very accurate inside of 400 yards, it uses a round that in an FMJ is substantially less potent than either the 7.62X39 (AK) or the 7.62X51(M14) and is much more maintenance intensive than either. Part of the reason for the large number of modifications (M16, M16A1(also with Mark 4 and Mark12), M16A2, M16A3, M16A4, M4, and M4A1) has been trying to meet the needs of the older M14 and correct deficiencies in the M16 design.

As most folks who've read my stuff know, I don't trust the platform. It is fun to shoot and is a great varmint gun but I do not think it is reliable enough nor uses a heavy enough round for a survival carbine that must fill a plethora of roles. I don't trust it as a defensive weapon and I think it is too light to be an effective hunting piece. Note that the Army is in the process of looking for a replacement to the M4. Whether or not they stay with the 5.56 round is not yet determined.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Edited by Capt Bart

Guest kevin

i agree capt. that's why i picked the sks. it is a rifle. never intended to be a full auto. as far as accuracy goes it can hit anything i can make it hit. i am not the best target shooter by any means, but i kill pretty good. they aren't the same. anyone who says they are is just trying to sell you the newest rifle that's just the old one ,shinier.

An individual can shop them in big bins, waterbottles or budgets, or develop your personal water filtration program that you can utilize in streams and channels if the main water system turns down.