Sign in to follow this  
Danm

Survival a slightly different view

All of us seem to look at this as a “back to nature” exercise. The fact is though that after the first year or so the cities will be a wealth of easily available resources and if you don’t prepare to harvest them you will be missing out.

In my bug out bag I want to include things like lock picks, pry-bar and basic tools like a socket set, hack saws, bolt cutters and wrenches. I will probably bury them because for the first year or two you will need to avoid the cities like the plague.

After that though they will be more open for careful mining of resources. Personally I also have a safe crackers rig with a cutting torch and such. Think of all the things that the hoards won’t have any interest in. Hand tools, just plain metal for a smiths forge, non-narcotic drugs, fertilizer feed and seeds for animals…it is endless.

City folks will grab the guns, ammo, food, money, jewelry, and narcotics but most of the really useful stuff will be passed over. They just don’t thing the way a survivalist or country person will. The BEST stuff will require a little work to get into. If you don’t have the tools you won’t be able to access them quickly. It will probably be a long time before the cities will be a “safe” place to just hang around in but fast raids will be invaluable.

Learn NOW how to pick locks, hotwire a truck and pop a door without making a lot of noise. Learn where the food stuffs enter the city. Where are the grocery supply warehouses? Where are the other whole sale places. EVERYONE will be going to the grocery stores and the big box stores. Hit the restaurant supply places and grab 100 pound bags of rice, flour and such!

If you already know where they are and what it will take to get into them then you can make a fast raid that will provide a lot more than a grocery store ever could. Think how long you could eat on a 100lb sack or rice, a hundred lbs sack of pinto beans and 5 gallons of lard!!!! In the feed store warehouses you will find corn, wheat, milo etc. All of this stuff is FOOD.

I know it sounds sexy to fade off into the woods and live like a Mountain man but the fact is thios is a hand to mouth existence without tractors or draft animals. You want to move past that stage as fast as possible and into the next stage. In order to do that, you need more food with which to gather more of the right kind of people. You really do NOT want to go all the way back to the hunter gatherer level and just stay there. Their average life expectancy was in the order of 35 years!!!

Prepare now, if you can, to do more than just survive in the short term. Learn the things that will raise you out of this primitive sort of existence. Build a forge, learn to cast metals, weaving and spinning, knitting and all the hundreds of old time skills will make your life more than just a daily survival exercise. I know this isn't as sexy and exciting as running around with a big old gun and just being a bad ass but in the end that isn't what built or will rebuild a civilization…

Worth re posting after the bots

All of us seem to look at this as a “back to nature” exercise. The fact is though that after the first year or so the cities will be a wealth of easily available resources and if you don’t prepare to harvest them you will be missing out.

In my bug out bag I want to include things like lock picks, pry-bar and basic tools like a socket set, hack saws, bolt cutters and wrenches. I will probably bury them because for the first year or two you will need to avoid the cities like the plague.

After that though they will be more open for careful mining of resources. Personally I also have a safe crackers rig with a cutting torch and such. Think of all the things that the hoards won’t have any interest in. Hand tools, just plain metal for a smiths forge, non-narcotic drugs, fertilizer feed and seeds for animals…it is endless.

City folks will grab the guns, ammo, food, money, jewelry, and narcotics but most of the really useful stuff will be passed over. They just don’t thing the way a survivalist or country person will. The BEST stuff will require a little work to get into. If you don’t have the tools you won’t be able to access them quickly. It will probably be a long time before the cities will be a “safe” place to just hang around in but fast raids will be invaluable.

Learn NOW how to pick locks, hotwire a truck and pop a door without making a lot of noise. Learn where the food stuffs enter the city. Where are the grocery supply warehouses? Where are the other whole sale places. EVERYONE will be going to the grocery stores and the big box stores. Hit the restaurant supply places and grab 100 pound bags of rice, flour and such!

If you already know where they are and what it will take to get into them then you can make a fast raid that will provide a lot more than a grocery store ever could. Think how long you could eat on a 100lb sack or rice, a hundred lbs sack of pinto beans and 5 gallons of lard!!!! In the feed store warehouses you will find corn, wheat, milo etc. All of this stuff is FOOD.

I know it sounds sexy to fade off into the woods and live like a Mountain man but the fact is thios is a hand to mouth existence without tractors or draft animals. You want to move past that stage as fast as possible and into the next stage. In order to do that, you need more food with which to gather more of the right kind of people. You really do NOT want to go all the way back to the hunter gatherer level and just stay there. Their average life expectancy was in the order of 35 years!!!

Prepare now, if you can, to do more than just survive in the short term. Learn the things that will raise you out of this primitive sort of existence. Build a forge, learn to cast metals, weaving and spinning, knitting and all the hundreds of old time skills will make your life more than just a daily survival exercise. I know this isn't as sexy and exciting as running around with a big old gun and just being a bad ass but in the end that isn't what built or will rebuild a civilization…

Good points, one comment is way carry all that heavy stuff like pry bars? If you are not going to use them right away. If you need them to GOOD then cool, but ditch them until then.

you probably already plan to do this but just in case.

The pry bar is worth carrying the rest will get buried as mentioned in paragraph 2. In my specific case I live at my bug out location and so will not have to haul this stuff. Nonetheless I WILL gather and bury a basic burglars kit somewhere else just in case. Lock picking is a fun hobby and useful pastime. I have always liked puzzles and at least this is a useful waste of time unlike the rubic's cube that I played with for several years.

The pry bar is a just great all purpose tool and weapon so it's weight is worth while. I am thinking of designing and maybe making one with survival as its main focus. The Stanley FUBAR series is already pretty close though.

When it comes to survival of the sort we are talking about I think you will be well served to think outside the box as much as possible. The first thing that pops into your mind will also most likely be the first thing to pop into everyone's mind. The woods are going to be just PACKED with wannabee Daniel Boones shooting at everything that moves and most likely setting the world on fire! It will b e like hunting on opening day of deer season times a thousand!!! Everyone will be hitting the Grocery stores, big box stores and such. You will be better served to feed further DOWN the food chain. Where to the stores get their stuff from? Where do the wholesalers get there stuff from? Think all the way back to the grain silos and fine the easy pickings. Go industrial! Ace Hardware is going to be the first thought of everyone. I will hit the little known industrial supply places and they will require tools to crack. They don't hasve big plate glass windows and doors but they will had the best stuff inside because they just don't sell FLASH, they sell good useful stuff that's made to last.

It will be a lot like gold mining. You CAN go and pan the stream beds for the trickle that is washed out through erosion OR you can go to the source and dig it out yourself. The retail stores are the trickle. Their suppliers are closer. The further back you go the closer you get to the Motherload. Imagine a freaking silo full of corn or rice or wheat. Tools are the same way. The store might have a dozen hammers. The maker will have thousands of them. The dozen are easy to git to and will be gone in a flash. The warehouse may sit there for years mostly an untapped resource. Big metal buildings in industrial ares also are less prone to fire and most of the retail places will probably burn to the ground in the first months anyway.

Just food for thought...If you think and decide now, when the time comes you can ACT while the rest think about it!

Where are the moderators by the way??????

Actually? Trying to live a life away from a computer for a while!:P

No, I'm not really annoyed by the question. It is just that this clown put a lot of posts out there and there is a limit as to how many will automatically delete so I'm doing them manually. I would explain my thoughts on spammers but since the NSA is showing this to TSA I will keep a civil tongue in my head.

Is 'civil fingertips on my hands' a better metaphor than 'civil tongue' for the internet?

I run a couple of boards myself and WELL understand the problem. I finally just made it so that all hopeful new members have to answer and respond to a simple question via email. POOF spammers bots don't do that and that is the end of them. It takes a little time but in the end it is easier than cleaning up their mess. What I can't figure out is what they get out of it??????? I'm not sure this butt wipe even was posting a language. It was just nothing but gibberish. At least the ones trying to sell something have a motive that I can understand.

I wonder, if a virus eats my hard drive, do you think the NSA would let me download a copy of my hard drive from them to reboot with??? I have a new pooter coming and will then use this one as backup. I bet they will be just frothing to get to some new meat!!! I actually join and download stuff just for their pleasure. Two days after the Boston bombing I downloaded a new copy of the Anarchist Cook book just to see if they had shut it down again yet...nope still there. If they aren't watching that then they are even dumber than they act. I'm neither Arabic nor black so they can look at me freely. If I was either of the above they wouldn't look for fear of being accused of Racial profiling. That is why they search all the elderly white and black ladies at the airport but let the...whatever is hiding in a burka thing just walk through unchecked. Fortunately I have nothing to hide since I relinquished my FFL to Reno's goons. According to them selling guns, even legally, was some sort of federal offence and a sure sign of nefarious intent.

.whatever is hiding in a burka thing just walk through unchecked

Funny you'd say that Danm, I went through an airport a year ago with an ADT/Tyco Security shirt on and they tore me a new one with my luggage search, body, empty out bottles, etc.

Meanwhile the wrapped heads were passing right by laughing at me and smiling. Who'd a thunk it?

t2940

you did know that they are exempt from PHONE and other intrusions that they use against our privacy LMAO

oh I guess Rand P. did not get the memo he is still in the dark about a whole lot of things poor kid

runny nose and full diaper just has no clue how deep or wide this against US.... then again maybe he does

and just preaching to the choir for his own benefit.

Had thought about wether to post this or not...figured what the hell...

The Anarchist Cookbook can get you hurt. Learn a little about circuits before you try to build whatever...

The Poor Mans James Bond is also good. Don't know if its online or not...haven't checked. But I liked the part about how to make sky rockets.

I agree...a flat pry bar will be worth its weight in gold at some point...faster than picking.

For those that wish to pick...the flat land model is a really good simple and easy to understand model of why lock picking works.

Picks are easy to make, all you need is a hacksaw blade a grinder or a dremal. Torsion wrenches are a little harder and will require a very light touch.

Most home locks have 5 pins...most commercial have 6.

Schlage, Sargent and Medeco will be the more difficult ones to pick...and in that order. Padlocks can be shimmed.

I think that's enough for now...wonder if I should change to sig to: 'Chaos, panic and disorder...my work here is done'

Or does Snake already have a claim on that one?

You ought to see them when my 5 lbs of stainless steel hips light up their metal detector! I have an ID card that tells them the serial numbers of the joint and everything but none the less I nearly got to moon LAX before they took a hint. I got lots of cool scars and am not even a little shy. I was actually having a pretty good time and had the lady security about to faint. Hell they already had my belt off and when I reached for the zipper to show her the scars she nearly fainted. I guess they are pretty good about embarrassing people but don't seem to take it very well. I am like you. I do NOT understand why they are always searching me and letting the Arabs walk right on through. I don't remember many 60 year old over weight white guys that were involved in 911 or such... I would think that they would be looking ESPECIALLY at 18 to 35 year old Arabic men since that is who is trying to kill us! Silly me, I just don't understand I guess!

The anarchist cook book will get you killed if you don't watch yourself. Just because you KNOW how something is supposed to be done does NOT mean that you should do it. Black, Red and White gun powder are handy to know how to make but nitro and such is just too unstable to mess with. A lot of their wiring is way to simple for my tastes. I would want double redundancy on the blocks before I would mess with their detonators.

The thing is the government can't stop bad people from doing bad things. All they can do is make the good honest people miserable while doing their "Do SOMETHING even if IT'S WRONG" thing. In the end if we are ever to be secure here we will need to bring it down to a personal level and stop expecting Uncle Sam to do it. If you set a bag down in Israel in just a few minutes someone is pointing at it, hollering and calling the bomb squad. They tried that test here in nearly all the major American cities and in only one place was there a response. Every place else the bag just sat there ignored. In Chicago a black kid stole the bag. All it had in it was wadded up paper, a brick and such so they just let him go. If you want to be safe you will have to do it yourself. As I've said before asking the cops to protect you is like using the coroner for your family physician.

This goes along with my original point. Being prepared means thinking now so you will be able to act later without much hesitation. For a lot of people their hesitation is going to kill them. If you are in a big city and wait too long you will be trapped and either have to walk out of die there. Plan NOW. Even if you can't afford a place in the woods for a BOL, you probably can afford an enclosed lockable boat stall in a small town where you can hide a loaded BOV that you can get to on a bicycle if you have to. I'm big on small enduro type dirt bikes for getting out of the city. Then you can bug out from THERE. If things look bad you can send your family on ahead to a motel for a few days then it's just you to get out.

Getting back in later will be the same way. the highways will be BLOCKED by disabled cars that just died there in a line going nowhere. I saw I-45 coming out of Houston locked up and blocked for DAYS in a line that was about a hundred miles long when Rita came in on the heals of Katrina. It was hot that day and people just sat there until they ran out of gas or their motor over heated and died. The lucky ones were near or in a little town preferably near an overpass. They camped out for about three days. Talk about good planning. Most of these idiots left the house with a half tank of gas or less, a coke for each person, a bag of chips and maybe a candy bar.

In the event of a more permanent or long term break down those cars will just sit there and rust. I will look at it like a free junk yard. Be prepared for any kind of disaster because I will assure you that whatever you are prepared for will probably not be what happens. Your greatest tool will be your mind and the time that you have taken NOW to preplan for as much as possible.

Utah Texas Maryland Virginia Etc......

I have an inkling of what it will be but it is so unpalatable that most will not accept it though I could venture a fair guess.

soon it will become very apparent but by then it will be too late the table is set and only those who are invited will be able

to attend those who do not accept the invitation will be on the outside looking in.

no communications no power no food water or shelter as you will be persona non gratis no rights and hated or feared because

of what you stand for or what you could cause to happen to those who might help you or associate with you.

It just happened for all too different reasons but still you can see it as a example of the equal of the Scarlet letter in our

present day it just happened to Paula Dean NOW imagine it is you either something you stood for or something you have done

that will make you repulsive to all who know you from fear or hate in a world where there are no secrets for individuals.

it is coming it is almost here in 2017 it could get pushed forward but it will happen no cash no cards nowhere to run or hide.

cameras everywhere and scanners will know where you are all the time.

I thought we might have some period of adjustment but as I see it it will be a bumpy but a thorough transition.

it is all preplanned and has been set into motion and there is nothing that can be done about it.

Africa is getting high speed internet and it is not for the children nor education trade or to help any of them.

http://rense.com/general76/newps.htm

http://teapartycheer.com/2013/05/cardless-national-id-courtesy-of-immigration-bill/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPjV1UpCZs8

I could site a dozen more but people will not see what is happening now what would be the point?

One of the things I've thought about before is the increase in the use of debit cards.

Yes they are convenient...but it also makes it easier to track you, keep up with you and monitor your purchases as well.

How much cash do most people keep around the house hundred dollar bills, fifties, twenties, tens...how much in silver?

While gold may be a good investment, I don't see it as being very useful for the day to day trading that would go on after the bottom drops out.

Rambling...not enough coffee yet.

One of the things I've thought about before is the increase in the use of debit cards.

Yes they are convenient...but it also makes it easier to track you, keep up with you and monitor your purchases as well.

How much cash do most people keep around the house hundred dollar bills, fifties, twenties, tens...how much in silver?

While gold may be a good investment, I don't see it as being very useful for the day to day trading that would go on after the bottom drops out.

Rambling...not enough coffee yet.

You're right VonB, I don't carry cash any more. They probably tracked every thing I bought this morning including the shotgun shells that Joe Biden recommended me to buy...............LMAO

As far as lock picking, i've read (someone else can verify) that it's illegal to carry lock picking tools unless you are a licensed locksmith. If SHTF I guess it doesn't matter much.

More coffee here please

allen wrenches and large paper clips hack saw blades and nippers and a small hammer and you have all the lock picking items

I had a neighbor that used a screwdriver and hammer to unlock a very nice masterlock in about 2 seconds. Someone had locked the spare on the back of a van that I bought.

I had no idea it was that easy. Now, door locks, that's a different animal.

I've made all sorts of lock picks over the years but in the end the real ones made for locksmiths are cheap and awful nice to have. I've considered a lock pick gun for the speed but so far haven't decided to pay for one since I can get by without. I've made a couple and while they do work they are not as robust as the manufactured ones. What I am looking for now is a shoulder brace type drill. Some locks are just too hard to pick and are best drilled. Before electric that was what was used.

Hacksaw blades, saws-all blades and the small multi-saw blades are just sooooo useful. The saws-all blades make great knives and such. I've made a couple of crook knives out of them for spoon carving and such. you can anneal them, sharpen them then after bending them re-temper and you are good to go.

On that note you need to make sure that you have a good collection of files. Talk about a do it all tool!!! Without power tools they become invaluable. tools become useless real fast when they are dull as hell. Files, hones and stones are a must just for maintaining your tools plus you will need to make more tools over time. While I'm at it you need to put a magnet in your kit for use when tempering metal. When steel gets to the right temperature it becomes NON-magnetically attracted. Learning a little about such now is a good idea and real simple.

Another thought, you need to get some good paper maps of the nearby cities and a yellow pages for it as well. Your GPS is not going to work nor is your pooter so if you are going to go raiding you need to know where to go and how to get there. I personally have a map fetish but I understand others use their GPS and Google maps and such. I actually have USGS topo maps for all the areas that I will frequent.

I had a neighbor that used a screwdriver and hammer to unlock a very nice masterlock in about 2 seconds. Someone had locked the spare on the back of a van that I bought.

I had no idea it was that easy. Now, door locks, that's a different animal.

I can open a master lock and other similar with a beer can and my hands in less than 5 minutes {no tools}

it is not what you know but how and when to use it.

I can open a master lock and other similar with a beer can and my hands in less than 5 minutes {no tools}

it is not what you know but how and when to use it.

Ummmm...wouldn't that be part of what you know? :rolleyes:

VB

I meant the public at large they may can read a book etc but "practical experience" is a better teacher

People tell me they KNOW something and when I ask to show me it goes down hill from there.

I am a voracious reader but I do not read fiction or biographies most history I read in years past

but I have to and do read manuals and instruction sheets as some things the devil is in the details

when installing using or making.

Some things are easier learning than application like first aid a severed limb is not like the picture:eek:

VB my favorite quote:

Yogi Berra, "In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is"

Damn makes many great points in his original post

I myself have lived in places where there was limited technology I do not look on any drastic change as a back to nature event

in fact it will be anything but as always there will be the have and have not's

My views on how that works out is colored by my belief system I do not see a total implosion but portions of the world

as now in upheaval like these areas many are having trouble finding food water and medical needs

It is no different for them than it would for anyone we adapt to the changing situation as best we can we learn from others

and in some cases people quit or fail and die or commit suicide some cannot handle rustic living.

Everyone over 50 will be "AT RISK" no central heat or air limited treatment for disease and prevention it will not be fun for

them or the very young as most viral threats happen early in life years ago many children died before they reached 6

cobble all the issues and you come out with a very grim scenario.

Imagine let us say 25% die off in the first year IF nothing other than a major decline in our monetary system.

when I was a kid I worked as a lifeguard one thing I remember was that when people are dying they will cling to anything

even to a point of killing them also in a unsure future people will grab on to belief systems or grow cold some good some bad

and as in every age there will be charlatans and people who will take advantage.

I am a Christian but we must understand free will "it is the right to destroy yourself and others" by accident,

collateral damage or design.

People like a sorted out and file referenced world but it is not it is messy unorganized and accidental / random or so it seems.

I give you HIV it was found years before but for this instance I use it as an example there is nothing random about it

although it may seem so but one person is / was responsible for the present situation and like gambling as long as you

are in the casino your chances are greater each day as to whether you will loose.

The number of mates from 1950 a person had is considered virginal compared to today now add in the blood factor tainted blood

in the system has created a secondary transmission point then the care givers another and there are others.

can we shake our fist at God or clamor that there is no God it is all a crap shoot? Or do we accept our part in this

Shakespearean tragedy ?

All the world's a stage,

And all the men and women merely players:

They have their exits and their entrances;

And one man in his time plays many parts,

I think the classics need to be more a part of education but that is another topic, I have delved into self analyses

attempting to find the root or cause and how culpable my actions but I can say without fear I was and am responsible

either by action or word and many will not, cannot face this reality.

We are hoisted by our own petard if you say you have never committed a sin or harmed a person your lying to yourself

and we all know how self delusion works "it does not" eventually you will face it on your death as your life passes

before your eyes or dealing with it a day at a time.

I only mention it because as things get worse for some do you ever worry or think that could be you?

There is no potion or penance to repel life no amount of money {Bernie Madoff} is proof of that no exercise regiment

or diet that will prolong your life, no 12K run {Paul Fix & Euel Gibbons} no piece of ribbon on your car no amount of

volunteer work as today you may be handing out food or comfort the dying and tomorrow you may be the receiver.

{If the world was perfect, it wouldn't be. Yogi Berra} I know he was a Christian At least to me it was obvious

because in a world that is imperfect he made it so IMHO

stating what we have all wanted to say or thought He was a an original and today we have Tim Tebow how things have changed

I think I liked it better the way it was XKE jags Mustangs and Corvette's mini skirts and pedal pushers teased hair

music that did not sound like crap and even when it did it was way better than this sh*t today.

so no matter what comes I will laugh in it's face I lived whatever they call this today is not life it is like mimicry

or a really bad copy hell we went to the moon in a beer can these wannabes can't get it together to get a

hot wheels car on mars working sheeesh didn't they figure they needed high speed communications?

in one generation we went from voice to cell phone and they have gone backward TEXTING really while driving yet.

and yelling save the planet and buying and building techno toys that are out of date before they hit the shelves.

we are soon to be floating on a sea of iphones and their clones even if nothing happens BUT that it will be a disaster

worse than the Jonestown flood and we screwed up the planet LMAO let us see the bright young minds try to reclaim

all those pieces and metals from a flash drive eventually sand will be all turned in to and come from reclaimed computer

chips and old computer and phone screens they have been recycling toilet paper I am waiting for reclaimed tampons.

and condoms now that will be funny to see a "SPECIAL RECYCLING CAN" for that or better yet a new American job

specialty as now it seems like the only thing out there is fast food or wally world greeter so I think given the option of

TEOTWAWKI or that what the hell.