Sign in to follow this  
Brdhuntr

Baofeng programming

I saw the recent post regarding the Baofeng UV-5R+ radio. Sooo went out & ordered one. Now that I have it I have no idea how to use it??????? I've seen several sites with supposed downloadable programs but they really don't go into detail. I've done the manual programming that came with the thing but now I turn the on/off button on and wait for something to happen, it occasionally lights up and I'll get some static but that's all. Any recommendations out there on what to do next???????????????

I have one, and I love it. Try this website. http://miklor.com/ ..just find your radio...note, most all UV5R's are the same internally, they just look different on the outside. Subtle differences, but they're there. BUY a usb programming cable, and download CHIRP. This program makes programing a Baofeng a snap. Also, look for a better antenna, ie; a longer one. MAKE SURE you get the right antenna connection, there are different types out there. The longer rubber duckie I bought had the right connector, but my vehicle magnetic mount antenna required an inexpensive adapter. Hope this helps you. Also, if you dont have it, get your HAM license. I have a tech license, and am studying for my general. Makes all the difference in the world, and it also makes you LEGAL!! Good luck.