Sign in to follow this  
Rapture333

Does this seem legit?

Body armor on Ebay, never my first choice, but then I saw this offer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Body-Armor-Curved-10x12-6x8-Level-3-Powdercoat-Mil-Spec-Certified-Armor-Plate-/281078836295?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41719aac47

Does anyone believe they're really selling level 3 armor for this price? Can anyone spot the catch? Maybe its surplus? Probably too good to be true, what do you think?

The ones with the dimples were used in test firing. I contacted the owner, he says the low cost of the armor is due to no overhead. Apparently his only real cost is the material used to make the plates, everything else is down with machinery he made and powder coated by a local powder coated for cheap, and its all a family operation. He says he doesn't like where this country is headed. Hmmm... I'm thinking about going ahead and buying a plate to do a review on, we'll see if this stuff really holds up.

For $175 with shipping and handling, it could be worth a shot. I'd certainly buy a "test" plate and try it out at the range yourself before you start carrying about 25lbs of steel that may or may not do what you need it to.

IMHO steel plates are a better investment then "soft" body armor. Ceramics are lighter but harder to come by and significantly more expensive. The Level IIIA I have has to be replaced every five years because sweat, fatigue and other factors reduce the bullet-stopping qualities of the kevlar.

Bear in mind, even with this armor, if you take a hit it's going to knock you on your backside and leave you wheezing at the very least.

Cool look up his rating if it is less than 99.5 pass on anything they offer and read their feedback

you can click on any negative feedback and it will come up sometimes it is buyers remorse or just crap

but if they have too many bad negative feedbacks I just don't deal with them it is too risky

and opt for insurance on something over 100 bucks just in case the shipper looses it IMHO.

Shot plates and panels are around I would not hesitate on them if they are by a good MFGr

as you would have to be very very unlucky to have one thread the needle and hit that exact spot.

if nothing else one plate / panel to cover your 6 as it is one we can't keep track of as easily

just a rambling thought.

Rapture,

I do not use body armor for a slew of reasons. When I was in RVN, I wore it on combat assaults but not for work around the airfield. That was an active combat zone. I suspect the same thing applies to the sand boxes but those guys would have to say something. I decided that the money spent on an item I would probably not have on if I really needed it (I do not consider planned combat as a part of my survival strategy - if I am wrong I do have plans but it is not the major driving force for my survival) because of a surprise encounter could be better used on other things.

Your opinion may be different and if it is (knowing you must GOOD and it will probably be under fire for example) could change the dynamic. If you decide you need body armor, I will not argue but I will ask you to consider the question; "Do you really want to play 'you bet your life' or 'you bet your family's life' with armor you purchased on the Bay of e?". Some eBay gear is solid, some is not. Bullet stopper gear has GOT to be perfect every single time.

The choice is yours to make.

The other side of that same coin is that if it is rated for pistol a rifle will go through it like paper so the weight is not worth

the effort but may be used for the other members of the family in a bug in but on the move not a good trade off.

like Capt I feel it would be your choice.

I would NOT use steel armor, there's a reason they no longer use it. First off, Jim-Bob made this in his garage, I wouldn't trust my life to it. Secondly, steel plate armor was notorious for causing more harm than good. Curved steel plate, made bullets slide, often up into the neck and jaw area. Thirdly, ceramic plates are much lighter and you can get them at a good price (bulletproofme.com). If you're connected, talk to some guys who are deployed. I kid you not, they throw away ceramic plates, good ones. Guys just pick them out of the trash. Amazingly, they do the same thing with NVG's too. I know a guy who picked his out of the trash. I got medium, 7.62 multi-hit SAPIs for $250. I'm 5' 10" and 200lbs and they cover the vital organs. I was surprised, I thought I would need larges.