Sign in to follow this  
Major Krisis

Handguns: Revolvers or Semi-automatics

You have to travel hundreds or miles to home or BOL. Which handgun do you prefer?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. You have to travel hundreds or miles to home or BOL. Which handgun do you prefer?

• Revolver
    • Pistol
    • Long gun: I NEVER travel with JUST a handgun.

1. Revolver
  2. Semi-automatic
  3. Neither, handguns are not useful in a survival situation

There is a regional disaster that has left you hundreds of miles from the rule of law for an undetermined amount of time. You and your family/friends/team members are on your own. You have trusted your fate, your last line of defense, to a handgun of some kind. Would it be a revolver or a semi-automatic?

There are pros to both options. Revolvers offer rugged reliability, simplicity to operate and a small package when compared to all but the smallest semi-automatics. Semi-automatic handguns offer you more firepower, the ability to reload quicker and a greater availability of ammo with the general population.

There are cons to both, however. Revolvers are significantly more limited in firepower, difficult to reload when compared to other options and their ammo may be harder to come by. Semi-automatics are more maintenance intensive, are usually larger and therefore harder to conceal and they are more difficult to operate under stress conditions.

So which do you grab? The old 6-shooter, your combat tupperware, or leave these "toy" guns to others?

Decisions decisions...hmmm..

Well lets see, you already mentioned some of the pros and cons of each...

A .357 revolver would give you a little more leeway in the ammo department by giving you two common types of ammo you could use. I think its Smith that makes an eight shot .357 revolver...but that also negates speed loaders for it <which are also kind of bulky> since I haven't seen any 8 shot speed loaders.

A lot of the revolvers that I've looked at are about the same size as a semi automatic, so I don't see an advantage in that dept.

Still when all's said and done, think I'd go with a semi. Mainly because I could carry more ready to shoot ammo in preloaded magazines.

all I need is one bullet and I can get what I want it is the chicken or the egg problem if all you have is a

single shot 22 and 1 bullet that is what you have pissing and moaning about it is not going to change a thing

now it is brain work and tactics if this is not in your survival scenario you have missed a chapter.

even after TEOTWAWKI natural disasters will still occur floods earth quakes tornadoes hail fire and it can settle on your little

hovel and like the little pigs story blow it away and what you can scrounge is what you have.

that is why commonsense & knowledge is more important than arms food fuel camping gear and 100 round magazines

firearms are lost crossing rivers and off cliffs they get hit by fire and they are dented junk

if you cannnot make a figure 4 trap weave a fish basket make a spear without a knife know how to find directions

where to look for water how to purify it without any containers what to eat and what to avoid

your going to have problems and a very hard uphill battle with depression and fear that is a killer situation

everyone should have a bug out bag that is stand alone if you have less than 10 seconds to sh*t and get

it is not a alice pack with full gear it is a small bag that has your basics out side you need to have a bag in a vehicle

or out building.

and cops for years counted on speed loaders and a six banger as long as they kept cool and used their head we all know it is not

how much it is how well you can shoot.

given 100 yards and one has a bolt action one a single shot it is who is behind a better barricade and who shoots the best.

Wardog513 is right.

I'd take a rifle over a handgun 9 times out 10. Something in 30 cal.

Getting back to the topic between revolvers or semi-automatics, my S&W 686 plus would do.

Like to get a hold of a S&W 610 if I could find one.

If your not " Physically Fit ", then your just Food for the Zombies.LOL.

In GOD I Trust, Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!

OK, I'm telling my age here, no big deal. I graduated from the police academy in 1977, and we had our choice of .357 revolvers, S&W, Colt, or Ruger. We also had a choice of a 9mm pistol, you could have a S&W model 59 or nothing.

I opted for a Smith .357 and NEVER felt "under gunned" at all. Of course, I wasn't swimming on patrol a lot either, so I did carry a bunch of extra ammo in speed strips, because "ya never need it, until ya need it badly!" It is a tad bit difficult to call a "time out" in the middle of a fire fight so you can pop over to the riddled patrol car and re-supply with extra ammo.

You fight with what you got.

Nowadays, you youngsters have SOOOOO many choices to choose from, it makes me head explode.(or want to)

I would feel "comforted" with whatever I had on me, at the time this "situation" rears up, be it either a high quality revolver OR a semiautomatic.

You younger guys will one day appreciate this, but:

"...with age, comes wisdom...and treachery!" No fight now I am forced into is going to be fair. See Snake's comments about tactics and read into the implied ruthlessness, IF, you want to prevail.

end of today's lesson and unsolicited advice, which is about as welcome as the proverbial flatulent Uncle.

Wardog513 is right.

I'd take a rifle over a handgun 9 times out 10. Something in 30 cal.

Getting back to the topic between revolvers or semi-automatics, my S&W 686 plus would do.

Like to get a hold of a S&W 610 if I could find one.

If your not " Physically Fit ", then your just Food for the Zombies.LOL.

In GOD I Trust, Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!

I remember a grunt buddy of mine telling me that if you have a rifle and need a pistol then you really need another rifle

that being said handguns do have their place. IE CCW because you cannot conceal carry an M4..well you can but it would be awkward.. I like shooting both revolvers and automatics but when comes down to it ill take an automatic simply because of faster reload times and more firepower . and pistols like glock, springfield armory, and the ever reliable 1911 pistols have closed the gap in accuracy between semi-autos and revolvers. when im out on my property where my biggest threats are snakes, yotes, and wild dogs my preferred sidearm is my S&W model 629 .44 mag with a mix load of snake shot and hollow points, but my primary conceal pistol is a Glock 30 .45ACP.

Major K,

this is tough. In RVN, my M16A1 went click (failure to feed properly) when it should have gone BANG! Fortunately, my 1911A1 went BANG! and I lived. I have a very warm spot in my still beating heart for the 1911 in .45 ACP. With that said, and despite the fact that I carry a .45 ACP or a pocket 9 (pistols can be easier to conceal in a great many situations) concealed almost constantly, when I'm out in the tall and uncut, I have a revolver on my hip. Depending on where, it is a .357 Mag or a .45 Colt. One of my favorite "survival" combos is a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt with a .45 ACP cylinder in a pouch on my belt and a lever gun also in .45 Colt (all in modern loadings). I've seen .357 revolvers with 9mm cylinders; unless you need a big bear stopper, that is a tough combo to beat. The .327 Mag is another interesting side arm. It'll shoot .32ACP, .32 S&W Long, .327Mag; I'm just not sure about ammo availability. Pretty rare I suspect. The .44 Mag shoots .44 Spl as well. Again, a solid shooter with multiple ammo types possible. All of them except the .327 also have associated lever guns.

So, in a survival situation, I'd choose the revolver for flexibility, reliability, common ammo and solid stopping performance. My choice is in .45 but only because I don't own (yet) a .454 Casull/.460 S&W revolver. The .454 also has a lever gun (ever notice a theme in my posts?) which helps.

In a combat, E&E situation I'd look for a pistol with a matching carbine in either .40 or .45; if I shoot something I want a reasonable chance that I'll get its attention.

I think the revolver has a broader survival role than a pistol. Dirty, irregular ammo has less chance of jamming a revolver (can happen but rare) than a pistol and this could be VERY important in a survival situation. As someone else pointed out Jeff Cooper (I think, I'm pretty sure but not certain) said the role of a handgun is to fight your way back to your long gun which you should never have put down! That is true in combat and high threat situations. Walking your property out at your BOL may require that you sling your long gun to have a machete or be carrying something or ? so a sidearm may be the weapon you can put into action the fastest. If I ever get up close and personal with a wild pig or wolf or feral dog or bob cat or any other nasty of almost any size I want a major caliber handgun that I can absolutely depend on (we are playing 'you bet your life' after all) quick at hand.

Just my not so humble opinion.

This all reminds me of Sam Elliot (We Were Soldiers) when he was asked why he chose the 45 over the M1 he said, " I figure that if I need one, they'll be plenty laying around"...................lol

t2940, classic quote.

If I have the premise down, the question is bugging home after being trapped out of town and having to cover a great distance to get there. Wow. That is challenging. In a SHTF situation, say EMP, I am going to say a rifle of any type other than a "black rifle" if I have the choice. Those dreaded "assault rifles" just make you a target for any cops looking for bandits, and bandits looking to score. If you have the rifle, you must have some cool stuff to steal, right?

If we are talking long walk after a hurricane or other natural disaster (where civil order is expected to eventually be restored), I would opt for the semiauto. I love my revolvers but I am just more comfortable shooting a semiauto pistol. Also, on a personal note, more concealable for me since I do not own a short barrel revolver.

t2940, classic quote.

If I have the premise down, the question is bugging home after being trapped out of town and having to cover a great distance to get there. Wow. That is challenging. In a SHTF situation, say EMP, I am going to say a rifle of any type other than a "black rifle" if I have the choice. Those dreaded "assault rifles" just make you a target for any cops looking for bandits, and bandits looking to score. If you have the rifle, you must have some cool stuff to steal, right?

If we are talking long walk after a hurricane or other natural disaster (where civil order is expected to eventually be restored), I would opt for the semiauto. I love my revolvers but I am just more comfortable shooting a semiauto pistol. Also, on a personal note, more concealable for me since I do not own a short barrel revolver.

I like the quote also.

TB,

Well reasoned, sir. The issue of mission always is the prime driver of firearm selection. If I'm ever IN such a situation, it'll probably be a short barrel .45ACP unless it is summer in Texas and then it will be a pocket 9. That is NEVER my first choice but until I retire to the country, it may be all I have because it is all I can carry. Of course, I also have less concern about maintenance for the long haul, since I'm going to my BOL or home. I'd acquire a rifle at the first possible moment if I didn't already have one. If I'm on a road trip, I have a rifle in the vehicle but for short, quick out and backs I don't always have a long gun. Careless but I guess I'm not the world's best survivalist.

If you can put a poll topside, that would be great Captain. I was having some computer issues (apparently, IE Explorer 7 on my work laptop does not like the polls). Please post it up!

and cops for years counted on speed loaders and a six banger as long as they kept cool and used their head we all know it is not

Snake, the revolver in police work has come and gone. Yes, many officers still carry one as a back-up. But they are just that: something to go to when you're out of other options. It is no longer regarded as an effective weapon on the job because the bad guys are carrying equipment that packs a lot more wallop. The sheriff in my county still carries one and he has personally put a couple of (deserving) people in the ground with it, but I don't know anyone who works in a patrol capacity that carries one.

For your reading pleasure:

FBI Miama shootout

Norco bank robbery/shootout

North Hollywood Shootout

I know its Wiki, but the overviews of the incidents are very good, and it doesn't take that long to read them. Food for thought

Major Krisis great post and info

In the new world order no knowing what we may encounter a semi would be more in line but

I never feel under gunned {unless it's a damn 25 acp} or an RG pistol and a few other junkers

I would be forced to rely on tactics if I felt what I had it was not up to the task move at night

slow and deliberate and cover during the day as most of us will be in a very small group or alone

it might come to that anyway it is amazing how turds form clusters very quick after an event.

and even with a lot of resources i would try to skirt or avoid all together contact with such groups.

and those shortcuts are very informative for anyone who thinks they are 10 foot tall and has a big S on their chest.

we live in 4 dimensional area {if you include time} and when you and a bullet try to occupy the same space at the

same time then you have horizontal {dirt nap or convalescence} .

and as in some scenarios a knife is a better choice than a gun proximity changes the rules just when you think your

gun fight it turns out to be a wrestling match and if they don't have a gun you may have brought the weapon of your

own destruction.

I remember one training video where the turd was trying to get the gun and the officer was trying to eject the magazine

{magazine safety issue} anyway I was wondering why he was not head butting this nimrod but he was busy trying to save

his arse so you could not be to critical.

the problem started when the officer allowed the turd to get to close if your not an officer it is something you cannot afford.

Officers have to take a bit of risk as they are so confined by their regulations and laws and sometimes it is because

they have become desensitized to the threat as they are always in a possibly a dangerous situation.

Nothing is sure just train and try to be ready for anything and you see a naked woman on the side of the road

stop to render aid and her boyfriend gets the drop on you now your trying to figure out how to write a report that

shows where you lost your weapon your vehicle and got handcuffed to a guard rail if he does not shoot you.

or trust in your vest and speed and pop him then you have to deal with a naked woman trying to claw out your eyes.

oh yea fun and hijinks on the side of the road.

then your praying that one of your shift buddies with his camera rolling doesn't get you in frame with a wearing and

ugly naked girl for a hat.

and you know that how ever long you live no one will ever let you live it down.

I know a guy called THE SHOE cause he shot a chunk out of his won shoe after he cleaned his backup and

cropped the slide and had an AD accidental discharge another one was called speed he was playing with his new

night sights in his patrol car and shot out the speedometer.

i never ask why someone had nickname it could be good or get you a nasty look and giggles from everyone in the room.

Poll is up, please go vote. I added a third option for long gun but you should choose long gun ONLY if you never travel without one. I always prefer a long gun but I don't always carry one when I travel, SOOOOO I voted revolver.

If it were just myself, I might make different choices, but since my firearms are likely to be used by many different people in my family group, simple and dependable become more important than large magazines. You can't beat a revolver for simple, effective, and easy to learn the basics.