Sign in to follow this  
idwritingworks

Against the Grain - New Fiction Book

I finally got activated!

Hey everybody, quick intro... a while ago I stumbled onto a thread on this forum discussing my book, it was the first time I had seen an independent conversation talking about something i had created... it was totally and utterly trippy. After that and by chance, a forum member - TexasBill - invited me over to post up on the site.

On to the book... I came up with it, wrote it and published it. An Appleseed instructor friend of mine edited it, and I think we're both pretty happy with the result. So what I did was try to write an easy read survival type story with nothing all that mind blowing, just "a good bathroom companion" as my editor calls it. Its not too heavy and has a little humor and hopefully is a worthwhile read. I didnt watn to do a big Nuke, EMP, pandemic, invasion, etc type scenario, more of a move backward into a new old west type situation. (Credit for that summary goes to the reader who left a review using that term - I liked it and stole it ;))

Feedback and reviews have been very positive so far. Kindle and Paperback editions are on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/kindle/dp/B00B9L20KW/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_eos_detail

and Smashwords has all other EReader formats: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/269310

Also my blog has all that, a facebook link, and some stuff about trying writing and what I think of as realistic survival.

http://idwritingworks.wordpress.com/

So if anyone has read it please post up. Feel free to discuss here in this thread anything you liked or didnt like. I'll only chime in to answer any questions and not take offense at any issues anyone has. Ive got thick skin so discuss away everybody, and thanks for reading!

-Ian

Actually, we had some pretty heated discussions about the book, Ian, a few months ago. Some folks thought the teasing with Tiffany was inappropriate but I thought the interplay was realistic. They still have feelings there, but just not the same as before. On the subject of relationships, I loved his relationship with Stan. Guy just couldn't catch a break.

I am eager to read the prequel so we can get more details about the breakdown and aftermath, as well as how Clint's sone was killed. I really want that sequel too, to see how the love rectangle works out.

Agree with Texas Bill. Sorry I didn't notice this thread earlier, but I've already talked about what I liked and didn't enjoy as much about this book in our Survival Fiction thread (somewhere around page 37-38, I think). I do think the prequel will be fascinating, so please let us know when it's available so we can buy it on Amazon!

lol I thought that might spark a few comments. Thanks guys for indulging in my shameless ploy :)

The girl stuff is funny because when I first started framing things, I really just had those relationships added in there not as filler, but not as big plot points either. As I continued writing, they really took part in the story direction. Ive always heard other authors say how once you start writing a character, that character starts writing themselves, and its true. My biggest hand in forming those relationships were keeping it grounded and realistic, not letting my own imagination get in the way, which is hard because even though the characters are not based on me or anybody I know, you write what you know and there is more truth in the stories than I intended, which in my head does keep them a little more realistic. The main character isnt exactly a choir boy but still a good guy overall (Im finding out, lol).

The prequel is 98% done and my editor has started his end of it. A couple quick revisions and it'll be good to go... i hope. The cover art is already almost done and that was my biggest hold up the first time around so hopefully the timeline of a June release is still intact. Story wise its pretty good with maybe a little more of a plot although I worry that Ive had to utilize a little more of an "authors liberty" to get the story to happen and it maybe has taken away some of the realistic aspects that I liked so much with Against the Grain. But in the end they are just stories and I think it is a pretty good one. Might have to give Texas Bill a chance to beta read it for me so i can know what type of reception to expect.

I still maintain that the third book which is about half done is still going to be the most fun of the three. Im just kind of going all out on that one.

Sorry, Ian. I think a spammer stole our edit button. I's love to beta read the prequel. I've actually done that for some of the other authors here.

I have to say the relationship with Bre is one of my favorite aspects of the "girlie" stuff as they realize the mutual attaction and also realize it was not to be. That said, I would love to see more Megan in the sequel. She seems spunky and a good fit.

Also, thanks for the gun talk. Just right. On one hand, I hate trying to read a story and the author obviously doesn't know what they are writing about and has not bothered to do a little research. One the other, I really don't need to know the name of the semi-famous gunsmith who did the custom trigger work on a secondary character's backup Kimber Gold Star Ultra Elite Tactical (I just made that up so as not to offend anybody). My only problem is now I want to go out and pick up a Saiga in .308. Darn it.

I hear that on the gun stuff. Love it but most people go all in depth with things others wouldnt put on their guns. Or like we've seen with Patriots, they describe stuff to the minute detail, but if the book has legs and is out for more than two years, everything is dated and obsolete (to a point). Heck I dont think I ever even said what caliber the main Glock is in lol. I hesitated to pick the S308 because its not a universally accepted battle rifle, but Ive got enough time in on one to really like it for a scout gun.

Megan is fun and she has a good role in the sequel.

Ian, I hope that Glock is not 45 GAP or 10mm. Just sayin'. Of course, one of my favorite rifles is a MAS 49/56 in that ever popular 7.5x54 French. That thing is a joy to shoot, relatively low recoil and darn accurate out to 100 yards. As for a "universally accepted battle rifle" the conventional wisdom seems to preach if it is not a Springfield M1A Match Grade, don't even bother showing up to the gunfight. Personally, I hope never to have to find out but in the long haul, rugged and simple have to count for something. I don't own a Saiga but one of my brothers does and he swears by his.

I enjoy shooting but I am not a gun snob by any stretch, and I like how you mix in two of my favorite "hand out" rifles into the story, the Mosin Nagant and the SKS. I still can't believe Yugo and Norinco SKS rifles are going for $500 around here. When I start reading authors who write about their he-man heroes with cases of Bushmasters or fully auto AK-47s just laying wround in their basements, that's usually when I go to delete said author's work form my Kindle. Keep on keeping it real.

Coming soon:

09c62bd3-05e7-4913-925a-a176a61b66d7_zps4e3799f3.jpg

See how it began… well you know, after it had already started. See how it started after it had already began? See what happened before the other one that was already a year or two into it all? ... This one is a prequel, let’s just go with that.

-Ian