Sign in to follow this  
ZM1995

question for veterans

that a broad question.. also have you taken the ASVAB? your scores on the ASVAB will limit or rather open up MOS's for you. just remember and this is from a Marine's perspective, that in the end you are going where they need to place you. you can pick a "general" MOS but where you go within that is up to the higher ups. for example if you want to go infantry you will get put down in the 0300 field by the recruiter which is general combat ground MOS from there they will decide whether you become an 0311(infantry) 0331(machinegun) 0369( mortars) etc etc Im not sure if the army does it the same way though. think hard before you sign about what you really want to do though and make sure you are both physically and mentally ready to to do that chosen field. recruiters need quotas and will hype up any MOS you ask about and make it sound glorious and full of awesome, which isn't the case with most jobs. most vets on here will tell you that any job in the military is 80% bullshit and politics and 20% cool shit that you actually wished you could more often.

I am totally unqualified to speak about enlisting in the Army being a former USAF alumni, I can honestly say, I had a BLAST in the USAF, loved every minute of it-then.

Take the ASVAB, see what and where your innate talents lie, then CAREFULLY research each of those jobs on the army's website BEFORE you enter the lair of the recruiter.

Know what you want ahead of time! Lots of great opportunities, AND get at least your bachelor's degree ON BASE'while you still can. It's a smart way to go, especially in any technical field foe life after the army! You can also get your Masters degree as well, will help a great Dow) in your promotional boards.

While its nice that you are thinking about joining the army, and I commend you for it.

I'd also suggest that you look at the Navy and Air Farce, the reason is to allow you to learn a skill or trade that you can use after your enlistment ends. Down side to the Navy is crowded berthing spaces and you may be prone to sea sickness.

Wardog is correct...recruiters have quotas that they need to fill. The various branches also have certain rates that they need more than others. The recruiter will try to steer you into one of those rates...<that's his job after all>.

When I enlisted in the Navy I was guaranteed the exact school and program that I wanted as part of my enlistment contract. If you are promised a school or rate and its not on/in your contract...DON'T SIGN.

vonBayern, many veterans from "other" services view the Air Force as the Chair Force or a farce, as you stated. However, we alumni are indeed aware that NOT "everyone" can qualify for the enlistment requirements for both officers and NCOs. While your being a forms squid, you can lay claim to having the Seal Teams and SBS crews, 90% of the time when the Seals are airlifted into an area, they are on USAF aircraft and have one or more PJs' on board with them. I NEVER considered sullying MY personal reputation by enlisting in the Squids, I learned that at a very early age.

Take that!! (offered up in THE most sincere jab from one veteran to another!).I will however DEFEND any Squid's "honor" from any non-veteran attempting to denigrate any branch of the military!

Best wishes in your recovery from squidom!

Join whatever branch you really want to join no one like hearing regret lots of people in old unit would say "i should have been a marine" or "I should just joined the Airforce" and all I could say and think is "shut the fuck up" those chumps are just as bored and under appreciated as us, although I would say if you enjoy luxury and being pampered join the Airforce those guys truly get the top of the line gear and barracks life. If you want to go Army go for it, but know that no matter what branch you join until you complete a deployment no one in your unit will truly respect you. So to wrap this all up my experience was as followed years 1-3 years were good, 4th year okay, 5-7th year I was on medical hold and fucking hated it, but your experience will vary. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world and would do it all over again if necessary.

vonBayern, many veterans from "other" services view the Air Force as the Chair Force or a farce, as you stated. However, we alumni are indeed aware that NOT "everyone" can qualify for the enlistment requirements for both officers and NCOs. While your being a forms squid, you can lay claim to having the Seal Teams and SBS crews, 90% of the time when the Seals are airlifted into an area, they are on USAF aircraft and have one or more PJs' on board with them. I NEVER considered sullying MY personal reputation by enlisting in the Squids, I learned that at a very early age.

Take that!! (offered up in THE most sincere jab from one veteran to another!).I will however DEFEND any Squid's "honor" from any non-veteran attempting to denigrate any branch of the military!

Best wishes in your recovery from squidom!

idc what veterans say about other branches they have that right but anyone who isn't a vet has no right to talk shit about any branch so i to would defend any branch of the military from anyone who isn't a veteran.

Join whatever branch you really want to join no one like hearing regret lots of people in old unit would say "i should have been a marine" or "I should just joined the Airforce" and all I could say and think is "shut the fuck up" those chumps are just as bored and under appreciated as us, although I would say if you enjoy luxury and being pampered join the Airforce those guys truly get the top of the line gear and barracks life. If you want to go Army go for it, but know that no matter what branch you join until you complete a deployment no one in your unit will truly respect you. So to wrap this all up my experience was as followed years 1-3 years were good, 4th year okay, 5-7th year I was on medical hold and fucking hated it, but your experience will vary. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world and would do it all over again if necessary.

i was born an army brat so I would be lieing if i said i wasn't partial to that particular branch lol

Service & bitching is like voting & bitching .... if you have then you can. You earned the right to say your piece. What ever branch you wind up in remember there are similar jobs in each one .... the names might be different but the important thing is find something you enjoy and be as good at it as you can be.

It is truly up to you. Just keep a open mine about what you want to do. I loved my MOS (cavalry scout); I was either deployed or always in the field training. You also have to remember that if you are married and they are going to be stationed with you; how much time will your MOS allow you to be with them. Military life can be hard on families. As others have said someone that has not served does not have the right to trash talk a certain branch ( i support all branches).

It is truly up to you. Just keep a open mine about what you want to do. I loved my MOS (cavalry scout); I was either deployed or always in the field training. You also have to remember that if you are married and they are going to be stationed with you; how much time will your MOS allow you to be with them. Military life can be hard on families. As others have said someone that has not served does not have the right to trash talk a certain branch ( i support all branches).

that was actually one of the mos that i was kind of interested in but what exactly do they do?

I would be a bar tender at the EM club it's kinda hard to get a posthumous medal slinging drinks

or you could be called uncle lucky and learn to roll a cigaret with your hook but you might need a table as

you may not have a lap.

I may be in the small percentage that feels this thing is backward we send our people to a place we should have erased

The people we are against hate us the ones we are fighting for hate us and their leaders have asked us to leave our

trainees shoot our people in the back and we are told that there are no M_____m extremists.

Pardon me if this is not a good situation even when they say were going to be GONE there will be a contingent left

can we say the ALAMO, scenes of the fall of Saigon and hands reaching for helicopter rung.

If the powers that be could and would not help anyone at Benghazi with 5 strike teams what makes you want to get involved?

We know what the problem is, we know who the problem is and when they bring them in the local powers let them go.

Recently a few of our troops were arrested for taking care of business they had caught these same guys shooting at them for

a 3rd time and one took them to a ditch and finished them well that's not nice but it is OK if the locals let them go to kill you

later or try again.

Back check but there are more than one incident like this and the military is not going to advertise these incidents it is not

a great recruiting tool to have the facts the soldiers at FT Hood were not given any medals and after being shot they may

need some ongoing medical care but the government chose to protect the shooter a gutless hunk of crap who fired on

unarmed men and women not to mention we have been at WAR and yet no one is allowed to carry weapons on base funny how

Israel has let it's soldiers carry on and off base because they are in a state of terrorism all the time but you are expendable?

I have some real problems with the whole thing we knew where Osama was and did nothing? especially while he was at a

camp with over a thousand trainees that irks me.

After Osama was taken out the team that did the work lost many on a raid how did anyone know where they were? or where

they would be I have a real conflict about this I won't get into it but in security and intel meetings there are NON American

and questionable loyalty folks in the room how do you maintain security with other resources knowing your every move?

We are so concerned about their feelings but the lives of our people takes a back seat and many are going to come back to

no jobs and if you can imagine the stress of separation of families wives and children you won't be the person who left

that is all I know.

I remember looking in a mirror and not real sure who was looking back sound strange well until you have been there

I cannot help you to understand that feeling many I know became alcoholics drug addicts and numerous other problems.

some were ground up by the system some were not life is not fair and your the one making the choices it seems to me

that recent film and commercials are trying to represent people that have lost limbs had TMI and PTSD as people that

can COME BACK AND LIVE TO THE FULLEST BEING A track star riding their wheel chair to victory overcoming all odds.

I have one question will you? even if your body is whole if all your friends you made are gone if they are lost to situations

that are not clear and concise?

I am not a peacenik nor am I a war monger BUT since Korea we have not had a winning strategy or an exit strategy

has everyone forgotten these police actions? our leaders seem willing to play two hands in this game and then try not to

win as they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings on the other side.

Here is the funny part the powers that be are talking about forgiving college debt to many of whom will not and have not

served {some have but the percentages are very low} most of the doctors at the V.A. are not ex vets. ask around but that is

a whole other story but one thing you might should consider is what will become of health care for service members?

we have almost a trillion in debt on school loans will there be anything in the kitty for you the veteran?

Hey all the federal state and local USPS and union retirees are getting their share what about the vet?

There was a truck convoy with trucks full of CASH a million went missing have you heard where it went?

The Arab spring did not go as planned and it seems as if all the new leaders hate us so what have we actually accomplished?

we lost 3,000 sept 11 and we have lost how many to give them the right to vote and for equal rights to women is that our

job / our objective? I though that is what they are supposed to do we did our people / forefathers fought to be free if they

would have lost they would have been shot, people like alcoholics must free themselves no one else can do it for them it

does not work never has and never will.

well there are many reasons to think this through before you commit and I would never say anyone under recent events

who chose not to serve were less than patriotic, nor do I say anything bad about those that do serve or have served

under present circumstances I would not there seems to be too much partiality toward them and not for us.

if we do something like the burning of the damaged korans the story was blurted out around the world and the soldiers

on the ground suffered every thing we do is put under a microscope and THEY are exempt form any rules and seem to

be overlooked by the press again and again.

everything is our fault we are the evil empire and all the while we are loosing our rights so what are you going to be

fighting for? lees rights so your mother and grandmother can be groped by TSA? so your emails can be read without a

warrant? loss of 2nd amendment rights? just what the hell are we fighting for? freedom? freedom for whom and from what?

It ain't for us every day since 911 we loose more and more rights we are treated like criminals if you don't have a lawyer

and a pile of money your guilty until proven innocent.

this looks like viet nam all over again only worse more people that hate us now syria lybia egypt and numerous other nations

are all asking us to GET OUT Iran is near being a N powered threat and during the day they wave and at night they plot

to kill you, and now we are making friends with organizations that have riots every day and their signs say death to Amerika

ba@tards can't even spell after 30 plus years of writing the same damn sign.

MOS how about MOB mind your own business if we would have stayed out of all this crap and drilled our own oil we would be

the richest nation on the face of the earth in order to die you have to go there if you don't let them come here and we don't

go there what are they going to do send us nasty emails?

We are the greatest nation on the face of the earth and in 14 years what have we accomplished? we alone can reduce the

earth to a cinder and we get into a pissing contest with goat herders? they are so advanced they cannot fix their own

water, sewer phone system or pick up their own garbage.

Well there is my take on all of it this is still kinda a free country not like when I was young but hey if your old enough NOT

to be able to buy a beer and can't smoke in a bar why the hell not go get shot?

when I went in the service I could buy alcohol at 18 we had open container you could smoke anywhere even

in court and movie theaters few STD's and you did not have to wear a diving suit to go out on a date there were

dress codes and a fist fight did not get you a felony only a fat lip and if the cops said go or else you went.

I never met a girl with a tattoo now they look like a freak show and everyone in town knows them.

they got more holes in them than a navy ship hummm in your vernacular what would brian boitano do?

Well if I were a young person I would be a substance abuse counselor I don't think you will ever be unemployed

and the people you meet are forced by the court system to go so there is a built in profit margin so your business won't go

broke and they are sooooo interesting and were probably in the service so if you wanted to know how it was you have

a captive audience LITERALLY.

that was actually one of the mos that i was kind of interested in but what exactly do they do?

They do just about everything fromm route clearence to security patrols but a scouts main job is recon. Go out find the enemy, get a fix on their location and call in the big guns. A scouts best weapon is a map and radio.

Damn...didn't think I'd stir up so much with me poking fun at the air force...

You guys forgot the air force guys who go in and get downed pilots and air crews...don't remember what they're called. Air Rescue?

Snake the biggest part of the problem as I see it is that since WWII we haven't really fought a war with generals...we have been fighting them with politicians. From Korea on seems like we have been letting politicians dictate the objectives and the goals. If Black Jack Pershing were alive today and did what he did, he would be considered a war criminal under our current regime.

Snake the biggest part of the problem as I see it is that since WWII we haven't really fought a war with generals...we have been fighting them with politicians. From Korea on seems like we have been letting politicians dictate the objectives and the goals. If Black Jack Pershing were alive today and did what he did, he would be considered a war criminal under our current regime.

I know it vonBayern all I see is many friends being made to jump through fiery hoops as the VA one just got turned down for disability and numerous other roadblocks to his care so what will become of the recent vets?

I don't care about the middle east or any of it's people except Israel they do not have to tell the truth to a non believer they

can kill you and their rules say no foul they have no respect for children or women and that will never change.

my one point is Osama was in Afghanistan in a camp with over 1,000 followers and we did nothing we tracked him by his cell phone for months we made him a hero to his people who though he was a new age jesse james and when we finally got him we made him

a mryter.

this shows me intent to invade and habitat the area in a place that our women have to wear a head cover??? we saved them

and we have to use their failed rules our people can;t drink in the open cannot carry a bible unless undercover

all our meetings are accompanied by local leaders and security personnel??? the news agencies are up their azz and every

situation is filmed by either our crews or their international news groups many have no love for U.S.

We have lost trillions in the sand we have cruise missiles that can hit a basketball and we hazard troops? all we needed to do was

take out a handful of problem children and cut supply lines we did not need to expose our backside to them we have drones

we have ships that can hit targets ofer the horizon so what do we need to send our children there for???

I see no reason then or now to be there or ever we can fly higher and faster than they can target so please someone tell me

what point was it to loose 9,000 people and trillion + dollars with a 0 sum difference in their opinion of us?

winning hearts and minds was an abysmal failure before and now heroin is still being trafficked here so that was not altered

just what is the point my money is worth less now than before all this gas is higher and we get no money from Iraq as per BUSH

companies are profiteering and nothing but us going broke is happening.

We did not loose any Viet Nam ground battles we lost to attrition and the will of civilians here who tired of a wishy washy

political war the kind we are in now one difference is there is no draft if there was you can bet we would have the same

sentiment we had then.

Europe has bailed due to events in spain and other countries now they have financial troubles if we stick around there

we will be screwed we are already footing the bill and then we gave egypt tanks and planes? after they did not protect

our embassy and allowed a small group to kill our people and we got blamed for that too!

no to me there is not one thing there we don't have here and more our children are more important than every person over there.

and I advise any young people against going every one of the European countries that have allowed them in are being

systematically steered toward sharia law and have had many threats and acts done in their countries it will happen here

it took 30 years in europe it is on a fast track here.

we need to quit sending money food weapons medical aid and cut off contact no embassies nothing if they want to act like

they are better than us and don't work 50% unemployment our aid is paid to their people to keep them quiet and pay

foot soldiers who have no uniform and hate our guts.

well Black Jack was a person who got things done not a milk toast I noticed many are retiring or leaving but have you heard

their reasons NO I wonder why I would bet as not to tarnish their own legacy as they did what they were told until they could not

do it anymore as if they could they would still be there would they not?

stay home have lots of kids and ignore anything out of our country.

Im going for the Boston marathon, the twin towers, the pentagon , and im going to stop this shit from happening ever again. I understand your reasoning for disliking the people in charge for screwing us over for them but you have to remember they attacked us and they cannot get away with it.

ZM1995

that is a very great sentiment it makes me proud Americans feel that way but as wardog513 posted it won;t stop

these events.

Your own Government is working against you they let all these people in and can't get any information but on you they have

reams of information they know where you were born your mom dad family you cell number who you just called

where you ate last if you had a STD your medical records and all traffic and insurance information and want to take your

2nd amendment rights BUT will let habib get 10 years differed taxes to start a business a low cost loans and 90 grand per

person in their family soooo

guess what for every one you get we have to pay for and if we put them in prison we have to pay for them for years

we have still yet to deal with their criminal cases and the price of that alone makes me cringe.

and they don't care if they get away with it they are suicide bombers / killers DUH! LET ME SAY IT ONE MORE TIME

THEY CANNOT SWIM HERE THEY CAN ONLY GET HERE BY PLANE OR SHIP IF WE ALLOW IT.

if we do not allow them here and send them back we can all get back to our lives without all the damn drama.

drug dealers kill more Americans and poison our children and ruin lives HERE than the war over there and we don't

do crap about that so where do you think that your government cares gives a crap or want's to stop any of this?????

they prevent our border patrol from making arrests they just let thousands of criminal aliens out of jail for FREE

and give aliens tax breaks for 10 get it 10 years NO TAXES while our nation grounded all aircraft except military

Bin ladens family flew out of the U.S. we knew where he was for MONTHS and DID NOTHING wake up stay home.

the heads of those nations are drug war lords from the heroin trade WAKE UP LISTEN.

it is a money game you cannot win a war with rules we fire bombed a city in Germany called Dresden because they made

ball bearings killed damn near everyone women children nuns priests hospitals churches but you can't do that to a country

that like Nazi Germany invaded it's neighbors killed indiscriminately and tried to strangle our economy by tying up the

oil supply murdering thousands of their own people his sons had lions, tigers and crocodiles and fed their enemies to them.

they hate your guts and can only get to their heaven by killing you and they cannot do that if your not there right?

they cannot commit terrorism here if we don't allow them here right.

and what have we done about Iran??? they are within months of having multiple nuclear weapons they give aid to our enemies

in Iraq and Afghanistan as ell as numerous other nations.

STAY HOME Call your senator congressman and anyone that will listen get our people home quit pissing our money away

and take care of business HERE. build refineries here drill for oil here protect us here give us tax breaks here make medications

here hire Americans here secure our borders here give medical aid here feed the hungry here

HERE dammit not there and damn sure not them

if by sending me to die over their can save one American life than so be it i might not be able to save the world from terrorism but i promise you ill take as many of those basterds down with me.

ZM,

I joined the Army because I'd read Socrates and understood his point about the city raised you, protected you, educated you and now you owe them. OK, I got it then and get it now, but when the rulers break the social contract, then the rules do change. I'm very proud of my service, I would do it again even knowing that I'd have 40+ years of back trouble as a result, because I love my country. I confess I talked my son out of joining the military when Clinton was president and I thank God I didn't have to serve under someone like Obozo.

Still, the desire to serve the nation (remember you are defending the Constitution, NOT the bloody president) is a very commendable thing.

Oh, in answer to the post's question: I was a 14E20 (Fire direction control) as an enlisted man, an 1193 FA unit commander, 1190 FA Ballistic Missile Unit Commander, and an 1981 Rotary Wing Unit Commander. I did get to play with some neat stuff.