Sign in to follow this  
psllgroup

Aquaponic gardening or Traditional gardening

Fi folks, yesterday as I am listening to radio, Mike Adams from Infowars was speaking about an interesting topic, Aquaponics gardening. I know it's been around for some time, but I haven't really pay much of an attention to it. So as I am listening I went and start searching a web and thinking what a great system. Again, I am sure there is a lot of involved, it's not as simple as it sounds, it's a huge commitment and a lot of working time, but it might be a great self-reliance system to have upon TEOTWAWKI, if there is an access to steady supply of water, fertilizers and etc.

So, whats your take on Aquaponics gardening vs traditional gardening?

It's something I'm also looking into. You have to ask yourself: will this be your primary food source or an add-on? Just read on a site today that a lot of these sites over-promise the amount of food you can actually produce. Also, there is a pretty steep learning curve and the initial expense.

But, you can produce food in a lot smaller space (even on a patio!!!), with less energy and water usage. Smaller systems can even be powered with solar panels.

Since I don't have a green thumb, I'm interested in this. Besides, you would add a much needed source of protein.

Main advantage that I can see with this is that you can grow year round by setting up inside a building.

I think thats will come down to anyway eventually, to grow your stuff on the inside, with the Air being polluted, sprayed with aluminum , barium, and all other stuff, you are not going to have no other choice than grow on the inside. There is ton's of stories of farmers having their crops dying on the inside and once moved to biodome's, all is beautiful and fresh.........plus, you can grow all year round

I think thats will come down to anyway eventually, to grow your stuff on the inside, with the Air being polluted, sprayed with aluminum , barium, and all other stuff, you are not going to have no other choice than grow on the inside. There is ton's of stories of farmers having their crops dying on the inside and once moved to biodome's, all is beautiful and fresh.........plus, you can grow all year round

crops dying on the inside......on the ouside, mistake in typing

It's something I'm also looking into. You have to ask yourself: will this be your primary food source or an add-on? Just read on a site today that a lot of these sites over-promise the amount of food you can actually produce. Also, there is a pretty steep learning curve and the initial expense.

But, you can produce food in a lot smaller space (even on a patio!!!), with less energy and water usage. Smaller systems can even be powered with solar panels.

Since I don't have a green thumb, I'm interested in this. Besides, you would add a much needed source of protein.

femvet59, there will be a time, I think pretty soon, if it isn't here already, when one is gonna have to decide, do I want to be dependent on GMOs or try to grow my own organic fresh food, whatever it takes, even if on a small scale. I am new at this also, but whatever you do, either aquaponics or traditional gardening, at least you are doing it, and that counts.

I was reading the Survival Mom and saw this article about a company called the Endless Food supply. They apparently have complete aquaphonic kits or instructions for the DIY in different sizes. It's something I'm considering.

Would appreciate input.

I was reading the Survival Mom and saw this article about a company called the Endless Food supply. They apparently have complete aquaphonic kits or instructions for the DIY in different sizes. It's something I'm considering.

Would appreciate input.

femvet, I came across these guys, Mike Adams from Infowars had these guys on, I liked what they had to say, check it out, like I said, I am very new at this, so I am still looking into it

http://www.austinaquaponics.com/Food_Growing_Systems.php