Sign in to follow this  
Alethia

Planning the GHB

I have been planning my GHB. This is the bag my wife is most concerned about. We work only about 2 miles apart from each other, and we are about 17 miles from home. There are 3 major routes we can walk to get home, the most direct route takes us right through Walt Disney World, the western route is mostly rural/ag, about 25 miles first 5 miles is touristville USA. The east route is more suburban with the first 10 miles being resort/commercial heavy and about 21 miles total. Depending on the situation we have options to get home, both of us do half marathons and full marathons, so distance is not a huge issue. I wish I could convince my building supe, that my bike is ok cubical furniture.

I would love to hear your feedback on what I might be overlooking in our GHBs. Mine will be in a Maxpediton Versipack and my wife's will be in a generic backpack.

[*] Midland GXT1000VP4 – stored in a foam bag/inside ziplock mylar bag

[*] SOL Hybrid 3 (http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/supply-list-popup.php?product=199)

[*] Swedish Fireknife (Mora with Firesteel) (http://www.lightmyfire.com/products/sparking-fire-collection/swedish-fireknife.aspx)

[*] Mini MagLight LED

[*] PryBar

[*] Hand Warmers

[*] Poncho

[*] Storacell Battery Caddy with 8AA, 4AAA and 1 – 9v w/ Pak-light

[*] Google Walking Map Laminated

[*] Stainless steel sharpie

[*] Wet-wipes

[*] Bottle of DEET

[*] Emergency iPhone charger

[*] 4x Cliff Bar

[*] 2x Cliff Shot

[*] Bandana

[*] 2x pairs running socks

[*] Cargo shorts

[*] Long sleeve running shirt

[*] Trail Running shoes

[*] 32oz Naglene Bottle

[/List]

If your water bottle does not filter out the nasty's of the world I would suggest the site below on my tag line.

That way if water systems are compromised you are safe.

Also, maybe extra food bars in case the trip home takes you around an angry confused crowd.

put a derringer in a can with some ammo seal it and have a p-38 can opener on your keyring

wrap it so it does not rattle and a bit of foam in the box/s of ammo as long as it does not rattle

no one is going to open a sealed can label it granola chunks with almonds

so if it does make any noise it will be considered what it is being investigated by a bunch of nuts.

the gun does not have to be big just work north american arms makes some good ones get the dual cylinder 22 lr 22mag

I would have a Swiss army explorer and or a specialty knife I carry a SOG Flash II assisted opener they are legal here

but if your job is anal put it in the can I do not get it people listen to rules that are meant to get them killed

and protect the company or give a warm fuzzy feeling that is moronic schools are gun free zones how did that work

polling places / voting areas are gun free NOT.... if your a black panther.

banks are gun free yea right a GHB without a rod is useless and the nalgene bottle is a waste get a stainless steel

quart bottle or 2 pints and like t2940 stated get a filtration system gravity or hand powered.

if you don't think outside the box or in this case inside the can your screwed blued and tattooed.

your list is great very good the cell phone charger could be upgraded to a KAITO 5 way powered radio

has many bands including weather and a cell phone charger with a light.

depending on the can you pick it can hold a couple hundred rounds and a NAA black widow with iron sights

50 22 shorts for small game Long rifle shot shells for very close birds and the bulk in 22 mag for defense

if there is an emergency it may include your home if your home is gone burned and or looted you have all

your ever going to have on you tornadoes have wiped out towns recently if your forced to stay in a damaged home

as you will want to get home when you do looters could be a problem or who knows what things are so crazy now

have a machete and folding shovel and some BIG 55 gallon leaf bags then you can skip the poncho if you want.

you can put one on and sit in one and keep warm as well as stay dry and slit the top and wear it around your waist.

a knife does not beat a gun a bad guy wants an unarmed victim and if he has a gun you need an equalizer

a crook won't stay and fight for an unknown reward hell they won't gunfight for a bank full of money 99.99% of the time,

so a couple of shots and they beat feet.

my suggestions for this great built pack

baseball cap/hat

sunscreen

sunglasses (blocks sun and hides your eyes)

Multitool

I've heard of people being arrested, but mostly harassed by police for carrying a Pry bars, since they are common tools used in burglaries and illegal activities. Not saying you are a thief, but it would help avoid delays in your travel.

If my assumption is right you live in the South.

Depending on a number of circumstance, in NC for example you could theoretically be charged with possession of burglary tools.

The NC General Statute, for example:

§ 14‑55. Preparation to commit burglary or other housebreakings.

If any person shall be found armed with any dangerous or offensive weapon, with the intent to break or enter a dwelling, or other building whatsoever, and to commit any felony or larceny therein; or shall be found having in his possession, without lawful excuse, any picklock, key, bit, or other implement of housebreaking; or shall be found in any such building, with intent to commit any felony or larceny therein, such person shall be punished as a Class I felon.

A quick Google search shows that a number of states have similar laws, so something to be aware of to be sure. As a general rule, if you aren't in shady places looking shady, you probably won't be stopped by the police.

Good point on the hat, I'm buying a boonie hat for mine. With the ball cap, I still got some pretty bad burns on my ears and neck.

Depending on a number of circumstance, in NC for example you could theoretically be charged with possession of burglary tools.

The NC General Statute, for example:

§ 14‑55. Preparation to commit burglary or other housebreakings.

If any person shall be found armed with any dangerous or offensive weapon, with the intent to break or enter a dwelling, or other building whatsoever, and to commit any felony or larceny therein; or shall be found having in his possession, without lawful excuse, any picklock, key, bit, or other implement of housebreaking; or shall be found in any such building, with intent to commit any felony or larceny therein, such person shall be punished as a Class I felon.

A quick Google search shows that a number of states have similar laws, so something to be aware of to be sure. As a general rule, if you aren't in shady places looking shady, you probably won't be stopped by the police.

Good point on the hat, I'm buying a boonie hat for mine. With the ball cap, I still got some pretty bad burns on my ears and neck.

Iam a huge fan of boonies, if I may recommend, these are my favorite, look it up.......

http://www.amazon.com/Tactical-Bucket-Headwear-Under-Armour/dp/B00BOTRZZO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365274847&sr=8-2&keywords=mans+UA+tactical+bucket+hat

Thanks for all the great feedback!

The bottle has been changed for a Kleen Kanteen, and a life straw has been added.

Ball cap is in the clothes bag now, and the pry bar is a small one that likely wouldn't catch attention and may swap it out for fencing pliers.

all states have entrapment laws

so there is no way of preventing a cop from arresting you all they have to say is you did X and you in the box it is your word

against theirs so don't bother to try and appeal to their sensitivities no matter what you do if they got a problem with you

it is going to get interesting just try to stay calm respectful and keep your hands where they can see them.

If you don't hang around in shady places looking shady, your chances of being involved with the 5-0 are pretty slim...just sayin'

psll, thanks for the link, I'm a big Under Armour fan so I can add that to my collection.

Altheia, is it an option where you work to add a firearm to your GHB?

alas and again another state law gets the fickle finger of fate award for complete stupidity.

In my mind I would want a EXPLOSIVE TRUCK to have a way to prevent theft of same after all

bad people want BAD things and only a person who is responsible would know when that load was

in danger of being stolen right?

so having fireworks takes your 2nd amendment rights? well if it can do that then none of the other rights apply either

one does not preclude the other except on paper in your state.

I seem to recall that no law to infringe blah blah but as we have all seen lawyers and politicians cannot be trusted and

read or do not read what they think in to a law as it pleases them

And GEE thanks for letting ALL of US know that tidbit so now WE ALL know your unarmed and where to get STUFF if WE are so

inclined OMG!

AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Paracord and a secondary bag,I use the cheap bags that have the drawstrings that double as shoulder straps they are small when rolled up and allow you to have extra storage for things you decide to grab/find at your starting point and along the way

Hey Alethia. First let me say...I like the name. The "truth" will set you free. I looked over your list and it's great. Seems to be very lightweight and that's good. Since you're a runner, what do think of ultramarathon packs. They're lightweight and really hug your body, so you can run fast without it moving. You should check it out. I know the area you speak of, and I know it will be very crowded trying to get back home. You will have to be light and fast on your feet.

I have been planning my GHB. This is the bag my wife is most concerned about. We work only about 2 miles apart from each other, and we are about 17 miles from home. There are 3 major routes we can walk to get home, the most direct route takes us right through Walt Disney World, the western route is mostly rural/ag, about 25 miles first 5 miles is touristville USA. The east route is more suburban with the first 10 miles being resort/commercial heavy and about 21 miles total. Depending on the situation we have options to get home, both of us do half marathons and full marathons, so distance is not a huge issue. I wish I could convince my building supe, that my bike is ok cubical furniture.

I would love to hear your feedback on what I might be overlooking in our GHBs. Mine will be in a Maxpediton Versipack and my wife's will be in a generic backpack.

[*] SOL Hybrid 3 (http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/supply-list-popup.php?product=199)

[*] Swedish Fireknife (Mora with Firesteel) (http://www.lightmyfire.com/products/sparking-fire-collection/swedish-fireknife.aspx)

[*] Mini MagLight LED

[*] PryBar

[*] Hand Warmers

[*] Poncho

[*] Wet-wipes

[*] Bottle of DEET

[*] 4x Cliff Bar

[*] 2x Cliff Shot

[*] Bandana

[*] Cargo shorts

[*] Trail Running shoes

[*] 32oz Naglene Bottle

[/List]

As far as a cap, might consider one that has the light installed in the bill. I also carry a slingshot for protection!

A good pair of gloves, leather and maybe a shower kit just in case you can't make it home. A GHB isn't just for end of the world stuff, other problems like storms that keep you away for the night. I work about 25 miles from home and there are a couple of rivers that could cut off my route and keep me from home for a night or two. Just a thought.

seabee

has a point a wrist rocket with lead 000 buckshot I read somewhere has the ballistics of a low end 32 ACP

Alethia I love your bag it is as well though out as any for a what looks to be a small unit it is packed with

everything I don't know if you realized it or not {i have a suspicion you did} the mylar protects electronics from

EMP, you may want a radio like a kaito to hear all the bands and it has 5 ways of being recharged.

a head net added it is small light and it will also break up your facial outline and makes you less recognizable as male or female.

The Nalgene bottle I would ADD a stainless bottle 2 bottles and one that will hold up to fire or magnifier to heat the water.

add a magnifier of some sort it can start a fire heat water as well as it's most important feature MAGNIFY an injury or

if you need to read the back of some OTC meds as that printing is small

OTC meds have a few of them all as well some para cord I also have a folding chair so if I get tired and it is wet or nasty

I can plant my butt in comfort and in a clean dry place they range from a 3 legged cane type to the one that looks like a

friggin recliner with drink holders but for the weight all of them are great and you don't have to take it it may be in your

trunk or truck but that does not mean that you have to take it.

Might consider a walking staff BUDK has chinese wax wood 60 inches long and another more like a cane but either way

a stick was one of the first hand held weapons and a sharp stick is even better.

[*] Mini MagLight LED

[*] PryBar

[*] Hand Warmers

[*] Poncho

[*] Wet-wipes

[*] Bottle of DEET

[*] 4x Cliff Bar

[*] 2x Cliff Shot

[*] Bandana

[*] Cargo shorts

[*] Trail Running shoes

[*] 32oz Naglene Bottle

[/List]

ok so lets go through your situation...... lets say...... CME hits, no electronics work. its 3:30 clock is ticking, you have 2 days to get home and get out before people realize shit is gonna get bad and start acting REALLY crazy (this is a tamer situation then lets say bombs going off).

you and your wife decide this is a plan A situation (rural route you will meet at X location). so you get to your car and get your bag, take a minute to change into your shoes and pants and whatever else and take off...... by this time it is 4:20 because it took a while to realize this is a bad situation. it is a nice 65 degrees in your state but its gonna get cold tonight so you better go.....

you are running with ~ what..... 15 lbs of gear? (if your water is filled up), so not too bad but are you used to this with your marathon running? lets say you are (i also assume this means you are super in shape with not much body fat so the stores are low for you) you are running along your planned route and realize the wife hasnt shown up yet.... you take a minute to wait at the designated spot, and eat one of your cliff shots and a cliff bar

now stop..... this is problem 1. your clif bars average around what?? 250 calories a pop? that is NOTHING for you in this situation. you need like meal replacement bars, something with high calorie high carb some proteins to keep you moving.....

ok so you wait an hour and nothing. it is getting dark and now you have the REALLY tough decision..... wait or go? the sun is setting.... you have your fire knife so you COULD start a fire but remember opsec is an issue here, are people freaking out yet? if they see you with gear and a fire are you prepared to fight?

this is issue 2. you have no warmth gear for overnight, hell a emergency blanket even would be nice here but shorts and a long sleeve shirt aint gonna do shit when you are laying on the ground and it drops to 40-50* outside.

lets rewind.... you decide you are going to keep moving, you both discussed meeting at home if you couldnt meet by ____ time after an event. so you pull out your mini mag flashlight

STOP..... issue number 3..... this is great for seeing what is in your hands and MAYBE a few feet in front of you, but you are at a brisk jog at this point right? you trip and twist your ankle (fuck..... shit is not going to plan) you are now limping the other what..... 10 miles home with 1 power shot and 3 clif bars...... will you survive? well yea sure.... will you be weakened and have dulled senses and perception due to lack of nutrition and be more vulnerable.... hell yes you will be

i ignored the water aspect since you said you were adding some sort of purification to the bag.....

this is a decent set up but i am just showing you what runs through my head when i see this set up..... always plan for the worst and hope for the best my friend.

the biggest issue here is you are assuming optimal conditions.... no stalls, nothing bad happens, and you can run straight home.... god i hope you can, but you are NOT prepared for any hiccups.

Shadow makes some good points. Having a backup plan to meetup at home if you can't meet within a certain time is a good idea. As for the food, you'd be surprised what you really don't need? Ever hear of GoRuck? Go look it up, its a great challenge if you're into that sort of thing. I do them when I have the time. I just got done with a 9 hour challenge 2 weeks ago, I ate NOTHING the entire time or 2.5 hours before. So I went a total of 11.5 hours 9 of which were extremely physical, while carrying a 50lb pack, without food. I did go through about 6 liters of water however. You can do without food, though I don't recommend it for extended periods, you can't last long without water. That's what will really kill you, regarding focus, comfort, etc. Unfortunately it weighs more than food, but you have water with you and a way to get more. I work about 7.6 miles (by freeway) from work. I know multiple routes to get home, as I've lived in this city all my life. I carry a small TAD Gear Litespeed pack with really not much in it. Laptop, mouse, point and shoot camera, multi-tool, large knife. Keychain has a light and 2 ways to start fire. I also carry a pocket knife and primary light on my person. I have a Glock 17 and spare mag in the car (can't carry inside the office). If I need to hoof it home, I'll fill up my 32oz Nalgene, down the extra can of tuna I keep in my lunch box, and off I go. That is just me, my plan is to get home ASAP. Now my old job used to have me traveling, I had A LOT of stuff in the car then, because I could be out of state at times.

When I was teaching, we had a rare snow storm that left me stuck at school for three days. A buddy of mine that I taught with was kind enough to allow me to use one of their bedrooms for the time. I had nothing with me because this sort of thing couldn't happen here. Shame on me, it did. I should have remembered this little episode, but I didn't. Thanks for reminding me, I will try to do better.