Sign in to follow this  
GotTurbo

22 handgun & 22 rifle

I currently own a Glock 17 and a Mossberg 500 Thunder Ranch. I was looking to get a 22 handgun & 22 rifle. Looking for them to both use the same type of ammo. 1 handgun I was looking at was the Kel Tec PMR 30 which shoots a 22 magnum round. The other hand gun was a Ruger SR22. That fires a 22LR round. Has anyone fired either of those guns? Can anyone recommend a 22 magnum or 22lr rifle? I would prefer to have a removable clip, but I would consider a lever action.

I've fired the 10/22 and I lust in my heart for that rifle! It is perhaps the finest 22 I've ever shot. Out of the box accurate, not a single problem over the first 1000 rounds through it (it was a GREAT day at the range! :D ) and plenty of stuff available as add on gear. I've not shot the Keltec 22 stuff. I frankly like both companies. I've never found a Ruger that was a bad gun and the few Keltec arms I've shot have been great.

I do NOT know, understand, but I think I'd stay away from a .22 Mag auto. I have a no name .22 SAA that has a .22 Mag cylinder. I've never shot .22 Mag so I'm not sure how common that round is in the real world but the reason I'd stay away from the Mag for a pistol is that the recoil spring is sized for the Mag recoil. With a normal .22 LR you might not get enough blow back (against the stiff spring) to reliably cycle the gun. If the recoil spring is sized for the .22 LR, then the Mag rounds are going to be unpleasant in the recoil. Unless you have a need for the .22 Mag, not a want but a real need (like popping ground squirrels at distance), then I'd stay with .22 LR.

Just my not so humble opinion.

I have the Ruger SR 22 and love it. It shoots very well, is light weight & fun to shoot. I only wish that there was a larger capacity magazine for it. I also have a 10-22 and think it is the only one to have.

For a handgun 22lr i'd pick a CZ Kadet, my first choice. The rest would be Rugers in semi or revolver.

For a 22lr rifle i'd pick a Marlin 39 in a lever, first choice or Ruger 10/22 , SR-22 in semi auto. Bolt action CZ's.

I own a CZ Kadet, Marlin 39, SR-22 & afew 10/22's. All good guns to own. So pick what ever fits your budget.

Can't go wrong with any of the one's i've listed. Just an opinion.

If your not " Physically Fit ", then your just Food for the Zombies.LOL.

In GOD I Trust, Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!

Can't go wrong with a 10/22 if you want a removable magazine, although I have found the marlin 60 to be more accurate off the shelf. The 10/22's trigger is horrible though, I hate it. The Marlin 60 is tube fed, but they do make a model that's mag fed, model 795, I think. I have shot a friends sr22, nice little gun. I have a buckmark, I like it. I believe Its hard to make a wrong choice with any of these. As far as 22lr vs. 22 mag, just depends what you want to do. Both are excellent for small game. Mag is more $.

Forgot to add, Smith & Wesson 22lr revolvers, Models 17 & 617 nice guns.

If you like really small mini 22 handguns, go for any of the NAA ( North American Arms ).

If your not " Physically Fit ", then your just Food for the Zombies.LOL.

In GOD I Trust, Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!

ruger 10/22's are so plentiful and have so many after market parts it would be a mistake not to get one

ruger MK 1 through 22/45 are nothing less than impressive shooters out of the box the only extra I would get

is the Dr. Frankenruger quick take down kit it is fantastic.

these are what I advise for a few reasons superior accuracy, durability and reloading speed these are all that count

in a life or death situation.

there is yet to be made a reliable 22 mag auto loader pistol your better off to have a Ruger single six with dual cylinders

for 22LR and 22MAG with a long barrel if you shoot anything out of a short barrel you loose enough velocity it becomes

a +p version of what your shooting or less ballistics by the inch on the internet has all the ballistics it is very enlightening.

the 22MAG is an amazing cartridge If I were not concerned with reload speed I would go with one of the marlin

lever guns and a Ruger single six with dual cylinders a convertible or the hunter model or a smith and wesson 48.

and North American arms has a convertible mini revolver I would go with the BLACK WIDOW LONG RIFLE, FIXED SIGHT, MAG CONV

the grip make it controllable the length of barrel give both maximum concealability and accuracy it will fit in the palm

of your hand and stainless is the best if it is kept close to the skin.

a lever action does have a slight advantage in one way you can load the through the gate between shots but it is still not

as fast as a magazine.

Smith & Wesson have hks speed loaders so the are quicker reloading than a single action but the single action with a longer barel

has greater power and range than a shorter barrel all things being equal but they are built like a tank so have plenty of ammo

as it will last a lifetime and ammo kept in a ammo can with barrier paper will last as far as from personal experience 35 years

22 mag equals a 38 special in stopping power out of equal barrel lengths.

Trying to find a KelTec anything right now would be tough. I bought my Sub 2000 for $350 a few years ago, I hear rumors that if you can find one they are going for upwards of $800. As KelTec is incapable of coming anywhere near meeting demand for their product, I don't see that changing anytime soon. I would avoid .22 mag as it is harder to come across. .22LR is much easier to find and will work with more weapons.