Capt Bart

What have you done today to better your Prep? III

728 posts in this topic

One of my military buddy & I. We each purchased a Barnett panzer V crossbow yesterday.

i dont like the ones with the plastic tips i like the ones with the cams....

My dog tried to eat a slide... well he was actually trying to eat a kid on the slide I love my dog

Truth be told, I love my dog more than most people I meet & know. Most dogs are faithful to the very end & would give their life up for their master.

If your not " Physically Fit ", then your just Food for the Zombies.LOL.

In GOD I Trust, Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!

i dont like the ones with the plastic tips i like the ones with the cams....

Cams are nice to have, but we figured that a more simple type would be easy to re-string up if needed.

I own 2 Bowtec compound bows with cams. They are a bit old now.

Ones a Tribute model & the other is a Old Glory model.

Bows with cams need a special machine tool to re-string up.

I'm also into Japanese long bows as well.

My dog tried to eat a slide... well he was actually trying to eat a kid on the slide I love my dog

Here is something to think about.

If you put your dog & your wife in a trunk of a car for a few hours,

then you open the trunk.

Who do you think would be more happier to see you, the dog & the wife.

The dog would jump with joy & kiss you.

The wife would likely kill you.

P2 well that is very true,

I am almost through with my preps from here out I need to just rotate and check condition as well as keep up

maintenance repair and testing schedule on all my equipment as well as keep it organized.

I keep my equipment in proximity a can with all the accessories next to and labeled if I ever need to operate

quickly I will not make the mistake of bringing the wrong accessories there is nothing worse than taking a long

trip and finding you forgot to pack whatever.

I have a few pair of everything binoc's compasses first aid kits cleaning kits or bore snakes.

Keeping equipment in order you will find it easier to strap on a belt your bag grab a CAN and your rod if your outfitted

properly you weight and equipment should sustain you for an extended duration if you have time a few extra minutes

you can grab other cans and if it is packed well you should be as well prepared as can be.

Imagine a fire fighter his gear is in a locker or specific area as he jumps and runs all that they need is THERE we should

arrange our equipment the same way even in your vehicle my BOB has a machete and shovel strapped to it

it is packed just as I think I may need it I have a belt with pouches on top if I just had the belt I would be 100% better

equipped than people that were not prepared and able to go for days.

I like packs that have compartments and your belt need to be compartmentalized also KNOW where everything is

if you have more than one they should be set up in the same manner.

try to not waste any space but have what you need.

camp food prep food needs to be on the bottom clothes {ones that protect} long pants long sleeve shirt long socks

head net hat boots Israeli boots are inexpensive as well as NAM combat boots you need ankle protection.

make sure they have many pockets like cargo pants and bush shirts and a poncho no matter the weather

and a decent and I have heard them called everything but a CQB or rescue / riggers / tactical belt.

this is critical it has so many uses and if you live in rough terrain climbing or rappelling may be a factor to survival

of course mil spec rope or cord long enough to work is needed I keep a 100 foot hank of 550 just for grins.

if you need / carry ecws {extreme cold weather} gear have it packed separate but strapped to your bag

so you can take it or leave it quickly you do not need it in the summer

I carry 3 water bottles 2 quart and one pint all stainless steel and a flask of brandy stuck in my ruck / BOB

I carry a large shamwow towel and a microfiber towel micro fiber filters water and the shamwow absorbs much more

than a regular towel so you can get water from a pot hole if need be.

I try to stress that we are not part of the military no one will be there to resupply you with water so have containers

and have it in your trunk bottles filled ready I cannot boil water in Nalgene plastic is a wonder material I often wonder

why it is used at all as plastics invade our world so does the durability the few places for use are grips

and expendables.

I always have a fold up chair again sitting in a pool of water or whatever is counter productive to keeping healthy.

I can sleep sitting up in a chair with a poncho covered from the elements with my back to protection

a tent is a sack you cannot see out it restricts you vision we are not in the military no sentries are posted to

watch over us while we are tented and zippered in a sleeping bag.

I carry S.O.S. or similar emergency food bars I am trying to get home this is not a safari I do not have gun bearers,

trackers or equipment bearers.

You are it and depends on how fit you are 35 to 70 pounds is the limit I would go with lighter as in a world where you

will need this you better be quick or your dead.

it may sound like a lot but clothing will weight 7 pounds your street clothes need to be ditched all you need to transfer is

your necessaries / possibles keys wallet etc..

if you do not have something that goes bang anyone with a long stick can whoop your azz and take your sh*t I do not

know where you live but gang bangers look for times such as these if you remember the aftermath of Katrina then

magnify that many times if you live in an area known for division be ready.

If you think your menacing enough with your machete against a Saturday night special GO FOR IT!

Think no resupply no doctor no water no food and everyone wants to kill you and take your sh*t maybe worse?

A person should be able to make 20 miles in a few days it all depends on how much CRISIS is occurring between where

you are and where you want to be the less you have to compete for water and food being distracted or having to spend

time finding treating getting sidetracked the better off you are.

I know all of you saw the many different news footage of war or storms a store is like a nightlight to a bug

stay away from them banks money machines gas stations drug / stores markets doctors offices etc these will be the

first places that will be scavenged, trashed or the target of robbery by gangs or rouge groups,

your map should have areas of avoidance if you notice while driving changes mark them so when you need it it is more than

a piece of paper but a resource of information otherwise it is buttwipe.

that is another thing a roll of paper towels is always a good idea toilet paper is not worth the space it takes up.

now for home storage a 55 galon drum of azz wipe is wunderbar as is a bucket full of BIC lighters.

fire you need multiple ways to make it chemical a striker a BIC lighter and magnification if you even consider rubbing

2 sticks together with all we have now I am concerned for your survival it is great to train at it but we are talking BOB's

not crash landing in the mountains and go all Donner party on us.

this is simple from A to B work or out to home you will more than likely not need fire BUT HAVE IT!

communication emergency radio and a cell phone and ability to charge both

defense weapons large knife or hatchet a machete a ROD and 100 rounds

directional finding Map compass etc

drugs and first aid pain soreness or if you use daily meds have a 10 day supply with you.

food enough for your length of travel and enough calories to carry you in your weather / conditions

fire 4 ways to make it chemical striker lighter BIC and a magnifying lens I have one on my Swiss army explorer.

shelter at least a collapsible chair and a water proof poncho if you think you will be able to set a tent and relax your nuts.

water better than a half gallon I carry 2 quarts and a pint and in containers that do not melt and will not hold flavor.

Stainless is the best you can carry fuels most chemicals without worry of degradation.

BOB's are different my vehicle BOB is a GHB but has some BOB contents as no one knows if we reach our home if

there will be anything there looting wild fire hell who knows you may get there and everything is GONE.

be prepared for the worst and pray for the best IMHO

this is also a good point to mention and have stashes / caches even if it is on your property at least you have a restart

button better than nothing.

Hi, everybody. I haven't had a chance to check in lately, so here's an update. Three months ago I connected with a fairly large local group and have been busy training and gaining or updating skills.

Right now we're busy prepping our GOOD site (360 acres, 2 different clean water sources, fruit-trees, lots of game and some cattle). Trying to raise the funds to pay for a military field kitchen ( ca. 3K ). We're almost a 100 total, some flakes, some will not show, but a lot of vets. About a month ago a MD joined our group; we also have a couple of combat medics, 2 nurses and a bunch of First aid qualified.

My age is definitely showing, the knees are shot, recently had a bad fall, broke 2 ribs and screwed up my right wrist. Oh, well. So today a few went out into the boonies and made a lot of noise. Boom!

Besides that, I made a contact with a local Walmart for their returns. Every week they just give us about 4-5 carts full of stuff. One week I got a tent for 8 with just a few pegs missing. Any number of camping lights and more clothes than I can possibly donate. A lot of it is going to local veterans and other non-profit organizations. A good deal all around.

Recently got a Ham radio, we're setting up a repeater network. Next week-end is water survival skills.

My preps are in good shape overall, now into rotation. It's almost a strange feeling, going into wallyworld and coming out with just some fresh fruit.

Wally I could not figure whom you were asking but on a internet search I ran across a post after looking over the site I

though what the hell I am not much of a joiner or a play well with others but I figured if nothing else i might leave a few

ideas people could springboard from.

many of you have made this forum a wealth of knowledge and a enjoyable place to visit I thank all of those who contributed

and made it fun as well as informative I may be in a minority but I still think something is on the horizon and people still

need to prep as most of us thought december of 2012 was a red herring and it makes no difference the day or never if I

am prepared then who ever get the torch handed to them it is their responsibility to finish the race or not IMHO.

so how did you find the group? online? word of mouth?

Went to a local gun show, ran into an acquaintance who introduced me. People are prepping all over the place!!

I'm in the process of moving again. Right now, we are configuring our kitchen to hold a large wire shelving unit to hold some of my larder. The behemoth unit is rated to hold 350lbs per shelf and each shelf is about 4 feet long. I bought it at Lowe's for about $75. This was a great find for me as I didn't have the tools to build one. I have since asked my mate to build me a much smaller unit with angled shelves so it would self rotate. In the near future we are planning to get a freezer and I would like to get a food dehydrator and a vacuum sealer.

I'm in the process of moving again. Right now, we are configuring our kitchen to hold a large wire shelving unit to hold some of my larder. The behemoth unit is rated to hold 350lbs per shelf and each shelf is about 4 feet long. I bought it at Lowe's for about $75. This was a great find for me as I didn't have the tools to build one. I have since asked my mate to build me a much smaller unit with angled shelves so it would self rotate. In the near future we are planning to get a freezer and I would like to get a food dehydrator and a vacuum sealer.

I have found both a dehydrator and a vacuum sealer at yard sales with bags and canisters / extras

Hello all, haven't been around much in the last few months due to personal stuff but been trying to build my preps when I could. A few months back my wife needed another vehicle, so I looked around and after ruling out a Land Rover Discovery I was interested in, I ended up buying her a 4WD Chevy Tahoe. I liked it because it's got considerable interior cargo space, ground clearance, and I plan on adding lighting, a winch, replacement bumpers, and CB and Ham, among other things, none of which stand out in the area I live in. I also got my wife and kids interested in geocaching as a family hobby. It serves multiple purposes, allowing me to spend time with the family, teaching them what I know about the outdoors, and getting them acclimated with finding/following directions and using GPS. So to start enjoying this new hobby, I checked into handheld GPS receivers. Not finding any new that fit my budget, I hit the local pawn shops today and scored at the second one I went to. Got a Magellan handheld GPS, and made a deal on 2 matching knives, a fixed blade (about 4") skinner with wood handles and a nice sheath, with a small folding locking knife, all for $30. Didn't figure that was too bad, and I think they'll make good knives for my 9 yr old. Now I've got a few days vacation from work, and plan to teach my boy about braiding paracord and tying knots, and try to get some target practice in too. I've got my 9 yr old boy shooting gallon jugs at around 50-60 yards with his pellet rifle, and my 5 yr old daughter shooting gallon jugs at 20 yards with her Red Ryder. I know, that's not Olympic marksmanship just yet, but no more than they've been shooting, I'm proud and they show steady improvement and interest in shooting.

Hello all, haven't been around much in the last few months due to personal stuff but been trying to build my preps when I could. A few months back my wife needed another vehicle, so I looked around and after ruling out a Land Rover Discovery I was interested in, I ended up buying her a 4WD Chevy Tahoe. I liked it because it's got considerable interior cargo space, ground clearance, and I plan on adding lighting, a winch, replacement bumpers, and CB and Ham, among other things, none of which stand out in the area I live in. I also got my wife and kids interested in geocaching as a family hobby. It serves multiple purposes, allowing me to spend time with the family, teaching them what I know about the outdoors, and getting them acclimated with finding/following directions and using GPS. So to start enjoying this new hobby, I checked into handheld GPS receivers. Not finding any new that fit my budget, I hit the local pawn shops today and scored at the second one I went to. Got a Magellan handheld GPS, and made a deal on 2 matching knives, a fixed blade (about 4") skinner with wood handles and a nice sheath, with a small folding locking knife, all for $30. Didn't figure that was too bad, and I think they'll make good knives for my 9 yr old. Now I've got a few days vacation from work, and plan to teach my boy about braiding paracord and tying knots, and try to get some target practice in too. I've got my 9 yr old boy shooting gallon jugs at around 50-60 yards with his pellet rifle, and my 5 yr old daughter shooting gallon jugs at 20 yards with her Red Ryder. I know, that's not Olympic marksmanship just yet, but no more than they've been shooting, I'm proud and they show steady improvement and interest in shooting.

Nice planning Thumper..............especially the last part that makes me really miss my Red Ryder BB gun...................B)

Picked up 2 used 12 guage shotguns for $60 today.

Both brake top, ones a single shot H&R M48 & the other Martine side by side.

awesome find p210sig! was it a yard sale? or commerical sale?

New member at my shooting club wanted them sold ASAP. It belonged to his dad's collection & he had no use for them.

Harvested all the corn i'd grown in backyard garden today.

Picked up a box of 1,000 pcs 9mm 124 grain frontier bullets for reloading.

It was the last box in the gun shop.

Harvested all the corn i'd grown in backyard garden today.

i love corn!