Capt Bart

What have you done today to better your Prep? III

764 posts in this topic

Today I extended my outside garden 7 ft X 30 ft = 210 sq ft. Removed all the grass & weeds and tilled the soil.  A good days work of 9 hours.

Will transplant some of my tomatoes this weekend in the new garden area.

Drew_Forge likes this

Went to a liquidation store today, purchased a few bath towels & cotton T shirts.

Bath towels normal retail $23 each, got them for $4 each.

T shirts retail $15 each, got them for 4 T shirts for $10

There we’re deals on dog food for $7 for a  50 lb bag. Didn’t get any,my dogs pantry has enough food for the next 2 Plus years. It was a howling deal non the less.

wally likes this

Yesterday I managed to get about 500 retaining wall stones for free through a Letgo classified ad. It was hard work getting them to my back yard & taken a physical toll on me. On the plus side of things, I’ve saved thousands of dollars not having to buy them. Blessings indeed & greatfull of the outcome provided.

wally and Drew_Forge like this

3 hours ago, wally said:

hope your  gonna be okay...

I’ll be fine, as the saying goes no pain, no gain.

Used these stones for a outer border for the garden, that will help my seedlings for next years crops from wind damage.

The garden does look more eye pleasing now, with these retaining wall stones. 

Today I was given 4 IPSC pop up plates targets with stands for FREE at my club.They are 8 inches in diameter and made out of AR-500 steel, slightly used , but it beats paying  $1,000 if I had to buy them.

It surely  made my day, blessings indeed.

Drew_Forge and wally like this

Went to a liquidation store today & managed to get 2 dozen pairs of 100% wool socks, at $96 taxes in it was a super deal.

Im going to give one pair of soaks  to all my buddies. 

Their feet should be toasty warm come winter time.

wally likes this

Today I was given 3 more used IPSC target popers with stands for FREE at my club.

I was happy to get them, now I have 7 in total. 

Im very happy indeed.

wally likes this

3 hours ago, wally said:

do you have room at your place to put up a range?

No .

My intentions is to set up a IPSC rifle course when I go to Crown Land.

Set these stands up for the day in Queens Land with a few of my buddies, then when we’re done shooting, bring these target stands back home. 

This year is a no go, fall is almost here. Come spring time next year, it’s going to be a ding, ding,  ding affair. I’m quite sure these plates could handle 223’s &. 308’s easily.

Shooting a 9mm, 40 s&w, or 45 acp carbine would be fun as well.

wally likes this

Yesterday I did a practice run on fire starting in a downpore of rain in 3 different methods, the easyist was using char cloth & flint, then using a ferro rod was second, then the hardest was using a bow drill method.

Char cloth & ferro rod methods are ideal for me now, so much that I refuse to light I fire with a match or a lighter for quite some time now.

ive made a 20 gallon propane tank wood stove a few years back & have cooked meals with it many occasions.

It’s fun practice as usual.

Have you practiced fire making without a match or lighter lately?

How about starting a fire in the rain or on a snow covered ground.

Practice until it becomes natural, that’s the ticket.

wally likes this

i like the mag bar with striker and rod myself i've only practiced with it under dry conditions though...we do get a lot of rain during fall and winter so i should try it then too....thanks for the reminder...