Capt Bart

What have you done today to better your Prep? III

718 posts in this topic

Today I stayed inside as heat stroke does not improver your cognitive or planning skills. I got a fan for the chicken pen and I replace their water daily plenty of shade and they choose to stand in the water with their wings semi spread like they are going to take off. One of my hens sat 8 eggs and only 2 hatched but those chicks are like little race cars I have them w/ mom in a suspended cage 2X3X5 foot they fear nothing I went to put in feed and they jumped in the bowl in my hand and started flicking pecking slinging food every where mom of course gets all defensive but as long as I do slow deliberate movements  she just stays fluffed up.

I love baby critters it is humbling to they are individuals and yet are generally born with knowledge in less than a week chicks do fair on their own.I found that chicks that never knew a mother can still "know" how to forage and thrive as one that had a mother God is amazing people that think evolution works have never had children those cannot do much and the learn from their surrounding if their family were bad they learned bad traits etc, selling drugs and all the other things that are bad for us hurting and killing is Free choice and free will so is being decent honorable and caring it's an oxymoron to be a decent person as the world tries to beat you down it is easy to keep a violent heart as the world like to push buttons but does not like their button get a fist in it.

animals can be cruel but then as a creationist I understand that since the fall of man all things have fallen to the level of dog eat dog but man is the only one that has a choice and destiny there is no regret in the animal kingdom for action loosing a mate some do show loss but that is selfish not what people can chose to do is be selflessness big difference.

wally likes this

It's friggin Christmas !!!

buddy of mine sent me 400 - .308 commercial brass once fired pretty well evenly dispersed from RP, winchester and FC polished,  and 1 box of 180 grn JRN pro jectiles and 1 of  150 grn JPSP. looks like I am going to use up some A2460 May swap the bullets as I have plenty of Hornady 165 grn JBTSP

Back in the day prices were reasonable glad I stocked up prices are a bit ridiculous  3.50 for 100 primers any bullet worth crap is 27 to 39 bucks for 100  and powder 25 bucks so for 100 shells if you have the cases already 55 to 68 bucks for 5 boxes or 100 rounds and that is not the most expensive.

It is fine if you already have press dies calipers polisher, case trimmer powder drop,  scale etc etc ---- ouch

if you step out of nato calibers get ready to take it in the wallet, for all those that did not listen --so sorry for your loss----of money.

458 Lott 8 to 10 bucks a round now glad i sold the old girl :)

wally likes this

21 hours ago, P210SIG said:

Spent the whole day casting 12 guage 7/8 ounce Lee slugs.

Now I have plenty of slugs ready for reloading.

These should last me a few years.

I made up some .690 round balls I am going to make some paper machete cups to ride over the gas seals,  going to use blended paper from egg cartons.

I have an idea to make a more perfect shooting round ball.

I am also going to make up some Pagoda loads and do some yardage testing.

P210SIG likes this

Today I made 2 mini 20 gauge shot shell. 

They are 1 3/4 inch over all length.

Have a buddy that liked my 12 gauge mini shells a lot, asked if I could make them in 20 gauge, I said sure why not.

First one I made is a number #4 shot load.

Second one is a slug load.

Will chronograph these loads at my shooting club this weekend.

wally and juzcallmesnake like this

39 minutes ago, P210SIG said:

Today I made 2 mini 20 gauge shot shell. 

They are 1 3/4 inch over all length.

Have a buddy that liked my 12 gauge mini shells a lot, asked if I could make them in 20 gauge, I said sure why not.

First one I made is a number #4 shot load.

Second one is a slug load.

Will chronograph these loads at my shooting club this weekend.

Very good I had a problem with the Aguila mini shells as they could filp over in the receiver and as we all know shells do not feed well backward the shortest I would now use is 2 1/2 shotguns used to be chambered in that now 2 3/4 is the norm,  got an 870 Wingmaster that I had the barrel punched out to 3" just in case I stuffed on in there as it will fire and kick like a drunk mule if it has a 2 3/4 only chamber otherwise the Wingmaster is the slickest of the 870 versions IMHO and still looks good after 40 years as a work gun.

wally likes this

Went to a gun show today & got some excellent deals.

Got 2 Federal 22lr 525 rounds bricks for $10 each.

Paid $10 for a brand new Lee 6 cavity 45 ACP 230 grain mold with handles.

The best find was 3 new CZ sp01 shadow 9mm mags & 2 boxes, 100 count Speer 22 cal 52 grain hollow point projectiles, for $70

Good times & great savings at the gun shows indeed.

Drew_Forge likes this

Just rub it in P210SIG and I am stuck no gunshows but at least I have internet and power.

I stayed home on an Island of dirt in an otherwise flooded area tornado warnings are constant.

After the storm lot of vehicles cheap --- water line are easily buffed out.

main emergency hospital the basement is flooding LMAO a basement in a town that is below sea level.

A recent interview with the Republican government stated that here in Texas we have ways to handle looters :P and most are self sustaining we have plenty of food water and ammo  ----and we have more boats than the Chinese navy.

as soon as this is over I have a deal on for a colt officers model in 9MM with a dozen mags.

wally likes this

2 hours ago, juzcallmesnake said:

Just rub it in P210SIG and I am stuck no gunshows but at least I have internet and power.

It does sound like I'm rubbing it in, but these were the deals I got.

Im always early at the gun shows to catch the deals.

As the saying goes, the early bird gets the Snake, I mean worm.:P

juzcallmesnake and wally like this

seeing how I am stuck here I decided to factory crimp 150 308s that I just got loaded w/ BLC2  trying to use up all my old powders and keep to a minimal grouping of powders I think I have settled on Varget, Unique, blue dot, A2460 and bullseye why because all of these have lasted decades without deterioration the Varget is still a young powder but it is very temperature stable time will tell if it is a long lasting one.

Man I love the Lee Factory Crimp Die works like a champ as well as their bullet sizer dies. I have all the dies I need and equipment if a person cannot afford a tumbler I found that a lee shell holder on a drill with some #0000 steel wool will clean the case PDQ I also use a split dowel with steel wool to clean out the interior

had a chance to check my stock of consumables mostly wire brushes bore brushes mops and tools many times Allen wrenches round off they can be refreshed by cutting them off  I also keep a box of screws springs and pin stock and each arm has extra parts like extractors ejectors their springs firing pins etc. these are parts that can in no way be made by hand too complicated needs the proper steel and most need to be cast as they are very difficult to make even on a machine.

Housebound and it is a great time to do some organizing and clean out the closet got me to donate dry clean clothing and bedding I no longer need to the local church that still and will have 100 + people until the water drops enough for us to get out.

this is the tome to Thank God for all my blessings and enough to be able to donate Amazing blessing have showered me for a long time and I am grateful that I can give before I was a Christian I was a taker selfish self centered now I cannot abide that in myself anymore and I LIKE IT...

Luke 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

Sorry to say I was the beneficiary of blessing before I became a giver God has been patient and very good to me and again I am very thankful to God, Yeshua or Jesus Christ and daily there are so many times where I say, but for the grace of God, go I.

wally likes this

My chickens are still laying today I got 4 eggs,  Ameraucana Chickens are a hearty breed and nothing seems to limit their egg production. I have plenty of perches and cover for them but the pen is pretty wet. today just to help them I fed all of them some medicated chick feed oatmeal and some grapes.

I am continuing to sift through the house finding things I can donate and WAAHOO found a tool box filled with .410 shotshell components including some 9.3X74R brass I fire formed into brass 3 inch hulls for .410,  and some 444 Marlin brass for 2 1/2 inch  as well as plastic hulls wads seals and overshot cards and a brick of primers.

it's all good I just wanted to have a second way to build .410 shells to take on the rat / vermin population and as I have posted on as far as shotgun reloading I love roll crimping I have long give up on fold crimp and all the equipment for as little as I need to load shotgun I can do so with an adjustable charge cup scale some hand tools like a deprimer a drill press w/ a roll crimper and a home made shell clamp which is a proper size hole for the shell drilled into the center of a lock of 2X4 about 4 inches long a 5X6 inch 1/2 inch thick  piece of plywood for a base screw down one side of the 2X4 one screw on each end the other needs one corner to be cut curved to rotate off the other so you can get your hull in and out and on that radiused corner one screw the other end need no screw as this is the pivot. grind the exposed screw tips off and now you have made a shell clamp it can be clamped to your drill press table or just held by hand.your drilled hole just needs to be a smidge smaller that the shell / gauge you intend to hold as this operates off friction  taught to me by a old friend all tis can be made from scrap and a few drywall screws and proper size drill bit I made mine with wood spade / paddle bits.

using different PVC sizes you can make a hull cutter guide slide it over the hull the hull make sure it is a proper fit you may have to use hot water PVC or schedule (thickness) to fit well I use this to cut off the old fold crimp so I have a fresh edge to roll crimp and it helps to make a even symmetrical flush cut for your roll crimper I have even used this to de-mill old loaded ammo to salvage the shot from badly bulged or split hulls  with a dent puller you could salvage the primer by pulling the wad or just cut the hull at the brass edge be careful you PRESS out a primer striking it can / may / will  set it off :rolleyes: easy does it and wear safety wear. !!!!

Disclaimer: I do not know how stupid the person is that may try to use this information so I assume no liability of the ignorance of others failure to use common sense proper safety protection or knowledge of use of same, and if your an idiot your friends are probably morons or on meds not conducive to operating any equipment measuring or "feel" for reloading to save a trip to the emergency room or grave cut loose of some of that beer / dope money and buy your shells IMHO.

wally likes this

A friend and I went together and bought some projectiles as of this moment I have a good start on my brass some is in the tumble I have plenty to process. 

I start by inspecting then do a short polish / clean then de-prime in this case remove primer pocket crimp and chamfer the case mouth, full length size and tumble again to a decent finish I use corn cob media.

Then prime powder bullet and crimp.

I have noticed it is getting more expensive for bullets powder and primers you can order and ship on one hazmat fee both powders and primers together and buy bulk is best as a pound of powder for rifle or shotgun only loads a hundred to just over 200 rounds per pound of common calibers.

go to powders for myself are bullseye unique IMR or H4227 then red and blue dot AA2460, BLC-2, IMR 3031 IMR4064 IMR4198, Varget

Primers always CCI small & large for shotgun  pistol & rifle standard I do not load anything that requires magnum primers

If I could only have 2 it would be unique and AA2460 it is not that they are any better than any other 2 choices or my choice of primers really it comes down to familiarity, any one powder or primer can go bang but I like to build a load some mix of components act different not bad just different they will all work just degrees of how well or how much with these 2 I can load all pistol rifle and shotgun rounds (even though many think you cannot I know you can) with cast or jacketed bullets or slugs shot or buck shot.

other choices just do not have all the range of reloading covered from 25acp to 458 winchester .410 to 10ga. there are some limits but it sill works.

wally likes this

well another 300 shells trimmed chamfered mil crimp removed polished 200 tomorrow toss them in and take the others out of the tumbler, so I can star priming.

I wanted to try a Lee perfect powder measure and a friend sent me one, so now I can try this out.   I have the auto disk from Lee but it does not dispense large volumes unless you stack the disks and sometimes you have to double so I will relegate this to powder through the expander die for pistol only. I also have a Ideal model 55 but it does cut extruded powder grains so I want to try the The perfect powder measure I can clamp  to my table and be able to move it to wherever it is comfortable. I also love the fact that a twist of the hopper shuts off the powder and you can remove it. I may make a step for y digital scale one I got from Ballistic products fits in a pocket and works like a champ for much less than other powder scales I think it cost about 30 bucks.

wally and Drew_Forge like this

Today was raking and burning leaves cleaning the garden beds for winter garden and general yard cleanup.

Yesterday I pulled 60 bullets from unknown origin ammo looked good so I will reload them with a known powder and charge I know is safe.

one day I intend to tackle my desk well I have 2 both get a bit cluttered but that is for a rainy day.

wally and Drew_Forge like this

Haven't been online much, but I've been busy cranking out ammo - almost all my 9mm cases are loaded, and I got a great deal on a bunch of Xtreme Bullets plated 200-grn SWC .45 ACP bullets, so I'm doing some load developement to see what my Sig P220s like. .222 and .223 is next...

Found a ton of still-in-the-package pink R19 insulation at the dump (!) so I've been insulating crawl spaces and other less well insulated areas in my 100-year-old house. WAAAAY too much fun.

Oh yeah, deer season is on! Trying to plug bambi so I can try out my dehydrator and canner that I got over the summer...

juzcallmesnake and wally like this

5 hours ago, Drew_Forge said:

Haven't been online much, but I've been busy cranking out ammo - almost all my 9mm cases are loaded, and I got a great deal on a bunch of Xtreme Bullets plated 200-grn SWC .45 ACP bullets, so I'm doing some load developement to see what my Sig P220s like. .222 and .223 is next...

Found a ton of still-in-the-package pink R19 insulation at the dump (!) so I've been insulating crawl spaces and other less well insulated areas in my 100-year-old house. WAAAAY too much fun.

Oh yeah, deer season is on! Trying to plug bambi so I can try out my dehydrator and canner that I got over the summer...

sounds all good I love insulating, so much so I had to stop doing it.

Back in the day first we would "suit up" complete coverage use a T shirt as a head cover and goggles long sleeve shirt and long pants and gloves.  After we would flush our skin arms face and head with cold water with a sprayer another way to remove is panty hose lightly wiped in one direction or a lint roller the fun stuff is rock wool people really need to have a mask as well.  but next to winning a butt load of money insulating a home saves tons of money over the time lived in.

Glad your doing your part to maintain safe deer population levels --- keeps them off the streets, hitch hiking !

wally likes this