Capt Bart

What have you done today to better your Prep? III

671 posts in this topic

You Americans make me jellus with your snubbies / short barrelled handguns.

Most Canadians are not allowed to own any handguns under 106mm / 4 1/4 inch barrels.

To me it's a dumb Canadian by-law.

A handgun weather it's a 2 inch barrel or a 8 inch barrel or anything in between it's a handgun period.

You Americans make me jellus with your snubbies / short barrelled handguns.

Most Canadians are not allowed to own any handguns under 106mm / 4 1/4 inch barrels.

To me it's a dumb Canadian by-law.

A handgun weather it's a 2 inch barrel or a 8 inch barrel or anything in between it's a handgun period.

yea it is not like you can't cut down a revolver barrel I have seen a few with a dime silver soldered on as a front sight.

Drew  If I had to my powders could be whittled down to Varget, Blue dot, and H110 or 296 (same powder)  I keep Unique on hand as it will load anything except a Black Powder firearms given you have loading data to do so it is limited in rifle but still makes a 100 yard hunting load with a heavy cast bullet.

I use the same brand of primers CCI and no magnum primers (got out of magnum need some years ago keep to a standardized caliber collection the FAD calibers come and go not that they are not fun or useful but they limit out real quick in range penetration or knock down versus standard offerings or they are too expensive or powerful.  then there is the weight capacity options weight size configuration.

pretty much shot them all and they are all fun and interesting at least the accurate and no failures ones ! 

Due to the limitations of physical laws you can squeeze out just so much and one or more issues rear their ugly head faster needs heavier jacket or special components to hold to the target and at some point it sheds velocity so quick as trajectory tables or bullets fail.

as of now for the common man 4,000 FPS is a ceiling made of glass maybe but when it is commonplace to exceed that I think it would not be afforded to common people to own it  and high population density makes it tricky to have. I know people do not like to hear it but there are limits either size  time weight effort affordability unless it is government funded where failures are called setbacks.

Attended a gun show yesterday & purchased 2 sets of Seekins scope rings for $15 per set.

It was a bargain considering they go for over $130 plus taxes new per set, in my area.

Ammo prices at the show was outrageous, almost double the cost of retail prices.

wally likes this

Purchased a used iPad mini with 128gb used in mint condition for $170 through the classifieds ads in Kijiji , yesterday.

Will be storing it with survival & prepping information in it.

I will leave it in a EMP cage that I've made, for future use.

Drew_Forge likes this

I finally broke down and got a new wireless keyboard & mouse it got to the point my "S" "E" and "L' did not work my mouse was getting fickle and it would loose power and just disappear the plus is that this is a set and uses ne USB port over my previous 2 separate units that used 2 ports although I have 8 I have numerous cables and peripheral devices it leaves a port open on the front so I can pop in one of the nulerous flash drives I use.

I hope this improves my posts as before I would notice I was missing my "S's" and it was distracting enough I would loose my train of thought.

I have already planted my raised beds I have planted tomatoes roma's and better boy, yellow squash Lima beans I have elephant garlic and horse radish as well as multiplying onions.   Just for grins I may plant some jalapeño peppers I always plant Cheyenne peppers and Serrano. Generally I only plant what I use most of,  and it has already broke ground now I just pray we do not get a freak cold spell and it is always possible.

I have too many projects I finish them but more pop up like whack a mole lOL.

wally likes this

I finally broke down and got a new wireless keyboard & mouse it got to the point my "S" "E" and "L' did not work my mouse was getting fickle and it would loose power and just disappear the plus is that this is a set and uses ne USB port over my previous 2 separate units that used 2 ports although I have 8 I have numerous cables and peripheral devices it leaves a port open on the front so I can pop in one of the nulerous flash drives I use.

I hope this improves my posts as before I would notice I was missing my "S's" and it was distracting enough I would loose my train of thought.

I have already planted my raised beds I have planted tomatoes roma's and better boy, yellow squash Lima beans I have elephant garlic and horse radish as well as multiplying onions.   Just for grins I may plant some jalapeño peppers I always plant Cheyenne peppers and Serrano. Generally I only plant what I use most of,  and it has already broke ground now I just pray we do not get a freak cold spell and it is always possible.

I have too many projects I finish them but more pop up like whack a mole lOL.

Could it be that the neighbors cat been playing with your mouse when your not at home.

Been contemplating about starting some seedlings in the past 2 weeks as well.

With the weather patterns going up & down like a yo-yo , I've thought may be not.

This past Saturday it felt like spring in my area.

But weather forecast says cold temperatures are arriving next week again

juzcallmesnake likes this

yesterday I had to cull a hen she was cracking and eating the eggs you can't allow that behavior or else they will damage or eat all the eggs.

as of today I have 10 new rabbits from a couple weeks to 4 days old  I can see where I am going to cull 5 and rebuild one cage maybe 2.

Pretty easy to rebuild a cage as long as you have cage clips clip pliers wire and sheet metal shears.  I like 1/2 X 1/2 or 1 X1/2 as bunnies are very active even before their eyes are open and if they get drug out of the box while nursing their little feet & legs fall through if you do not have hay covering the wire and it gets trapped and they get scared and break their limbs freaking out.

all I know is if I have 2 males / bucks and 4 to 6 females / does I should have enough as every 31 days they have a litter and 6 weeks after they can be culled average litter is 4 to 8 so every 2 1/2 months or 10 weeks expect each doe to  have 4 each so if you have some certain number you need to guesstimate the size of your numbers to get your outcome and all of this is fuzzy math so you could get less or more.

for a hobby I would have 1 buck and 2 doe for 2 people for more family for meat double that number  there are limitations I do not raise in stacked cages as I do not want to clean trays daily and it is more water intensive.

A 10 X 20 foot building dirt floor 1/2 sheet metal bottom upper side wire 2 X 4 inch to keep out predators sheet metal roof and door and the door needs to have a top and bottom rail to close against or you will have predators digging under or squeezing through the top.

I use a cross bar simple and no normal critter can open it except a person or large thing with an opposable thumb. a chain locked to the bar keeps it from being raised is even more secure.

some of this is repeated as I never know if someone is interested in taking up rabbitry  I have figured out that raising rabbits and chickens is the 2 easiest and have the fastest birth rate to feed and time to table as well you get eggs from chickens and they eat lots of bugs rabbit waste is the best fertilizer as chicken is good but it needs to rest for a year or it is so hot as to kill your garden.

I found that put a layer of newspaper inside a large pot to slow water seepage and dirt escaping a layer of poor dirt or sand a layer of rabbit crap and then a layer of potting soil every year a scoop of poop stir up and its ready again. I also dump them into a wheelbarrow and sprinkle some Sevin dust stir it up and repot as I find cut worms in pots placed on bricks also ants both are bad for roots as other insects organic LOL try that and see what you end up with there are some ways to help but certain bugs are not going to be scared off by other plants and tobacco tea has nicotine and that is a poison and is not  as effective as you may have heard I would rather have a case of Sevin dust or liquid than all the alternatives.

Spent most of the day, sizing my 230 grain 45acp bullets to .452 .

Got these lead pills lubed as well.

hmmm what equipment allows you to do that?

Lee makes a sizing die for cast lead bullets if you already have a press if not here is a link to a kit

http://leeprecision.com/bullet-casting/lube-and-sizing-kit/

you need to know what "SIZE" for your barrel / bore size for a common caliber there is a range sometimes a smaller or larger shoots tighter groups once you find that diameter that is all you need to use for that arm.

Drew_Forge and P210SIG like this

Today I was late but I did plant my potatoes about 10 and for those that are not knowledgeable about potatoes keep them in a dark place until they sprout from the eyes one tater will sprout 3 + eyes cut the tater so a good chunk is with the sprouted eye and plant about 3 inches deep. they can be grown in a LARGE cardboard box 50 pound feed sacks a stack of LARGE tractor tires in piles of loosen dirt etc you know when they are TATERS when the plant on top dies then dig them up if you like "new potatoes you can dig lightly around and pull them up in a month or so.

next I added in lima beans to fill in where the ones I planted a couple weeks ago did not grow probably due to old seed I keep all my seed in a container in the refrigerator or freezer.

transplanted some of my yellow squash last week and they are doing well.  Today I planted some yard long green beans.

I plant for a couple of reasons to have fresh and what is most expensive or unobtainable locally mostly I like Heirloom varieties a few are hybrid but they were bred for disease resistance not resistance to chemicals look up GMO seeds of destruction video on youtube for more information.

I raise my own garlic and multiplying onions and most always cayenne peppers I may do some Jalapeños this year as I like Armadillo eggs this is a recipe take a cut chicken breast about 4 to 6 pieces can be had from one breast take a lice of jalapeño slice up to a half deseeded remove stem & cap and wrap t with the chicken then wrap all that with a slice of bacon pin with a toothpick and bake grill or slow cook in a cast iron pan until chicken is well done. some people put inside the jalapeño cream cheese or some other cheese and I have marinaded my chicken in cheap Italian dressing  I like to make mine like poppers bite size they go well with avocado or ranch dressing even bar-b-q sauce make plenty s they go fast my spread is spanish rice pinto beans and armadillo eggs with a banana pudding fruit cobbler w/ ice cram or flan as a desert.

The okra is doing well and I have 2 more spots to fill and contemplating what but I think it will be mustard greens and kale might split one and do some collards.

Horse radish is invasive LOL had it in a couple of tractor tires stacked and it grew through plastic sign board and sprouted on the side I pulled that one up and planted it near the ones in the tire and it is growing and the area I pulled has another sprout I love horse radish with ham I mix it fresh grated with mayonnaise to taste and white pepper lemon juice a tad and smear it on liberally ! the other root plant I raise is a 15 gallon bucket of ginger I love the scent of crushed ginger leaves I will split it this year into 30 gallon pots and can't wait till I can make fresh ginger ale.

grape along the fence are sprouting leaves blackberry plants are looking good lots of buds on the branches and I pray my figs do better last year was a dud berries did not do well or grapes about half of the previous years output.

Lemon bushes are kicking lots of blooms so by September November ought to have a couple dozen.  I need to replace the key lime that died  I think I will get a few.  Here is my real issue I have a couple of pomegranate trees both are 6 to 7 foot tall and a nd this year will be 3 years so by my reckoning they should leap this year I am just wondering when I will get my first fruit ?  I have given up on peaches as the squirrels raid them before they ripen little b@stards but unless something drastic happens I will have plenty of tree rat meat as I need it. the ground litter of my yard is mostly acorn hulls and pine straw blown in from across the street with oak leaves. 

I also raise Agave because it is one wicked plant spines are like a syringe needle and  aloe vera 2 types one smooth the other variegated spines on it edge aloe can be drunk used as a poultice or dabbed on a rash or burn or sunburn very soothing.

It is a very passive garden it takes little time as it is raised bed or large pots easy to take a chair and do a few a week weeding and checking for invading insects mold or any other manifestation trying to kill my garden off.

my recipe for buckets is drill holes 1/4 to 3/8 inch in the bottom about a dozen or more and put a few bricks then 4 to 6 inches of plain dirt then I fill to half rabbit crap then fill with planters soil and a tad rabbit droppings.  my cages are made from 2X4 inch fence or 4x4 concrete wire 3 to 5 foot I buy scrap or damaged rolls from where ever I can find it. and my insecticide of choice is Sevin dust or liquid I dust or spray fresh unplanted ground to rid existing insects after a few days I plant I try not to use insecticide unless I see a insidious invasion plants can be eaten to nothing even if treated as poison takes time and as the bugs are feasting others come and dine and before the poison kills them they have killed the plant and it takes a season to get one crop so what you loose is crop and some regions you only have one season and the question is do you have more seed for next year or can you last until next year  and some years are a bust in the best of times

2 things you need is 24D and Sevin dust and or liquid neem oil if you have trees that can be invaded by web worms or fungus etc. I also like a balance fertilizer a hand full around in a 3 foot circle ear grape vine or tree is a kick start do it again in a month or so.  these items will be in short or NO supply in a bad time I also keep plenty of kale collard mustard beets etc for the greens and taters  most people do not recognize them as food and that is a benefit to a stealth garden and you can make plots on your route or secondary location.

this may be the novel I never intended to write but there it is.

P210SIG likes this

Grate, just Grate. Snake...

You've  done all these things, & I've got 5 inches of snow to deal with....

will be planting some seedlings hopefully by next weekend.

yea P210sig northern seasons are short but you do have plants that do not mind snow or you could build a hoop house. I have considered one because of intense sun and use a solar barrier on the top 1/3rd.

Went and picked up some 45 gallon square planter buckets  I decided after posting I need more surface area for my ginger and horseradish as it is the roots I want and one 15 gallon bucket is root bound as of now. I think I will go back  and get a couple of fancy tree buckets 30 gallon to transplant my lemon trees in for aesthetics and increased root growth.

I have a few ornamental / flower types but I do not waste water and soil on plants that yield no fruit or vegetables  and  some of what I have flowers / blooms so I do get flowers.

the one thing I suck at is growing cucumbers so far I have never had well formed or plentiful cukes as I do not really eat many it is not devastating only irritating. 

some years back I found I have become sensitive to bell peppers and a friend said that parching them untilthe skin can be removed and then most people are able to eat them again as the skin seems to be the issue  seems to work so far and you can still take and dry these and grind or store them  in jars.

Butler Ford likes this

1 hour ago, juzcallmesnake said:

cut a deal for 16 blue nylon 55 gallon barrels has some soap residue just need to wash them out and stack them in the shed.

Back in 1998 a neighbour on my street worked for YMCA as a manager. He would give me two 55 gallon  barrels every month for free. Had close to 100 barrels at one time. LOL. A gave most of it away to buddies & family members. I have about 30 barrels now  being used for storing water for the garden & personal use. I'm fortunate to get them for free, as nowadays I see them used, selling for $20-35 each at certain stores in my area.

juzcallmesnake likes this

Went to a gun show today & managed to get a few excellent deals.

Got 1 lb of universal & 1 lb of Nunber 9 powder for $25 total. Average price for powder is $40-45 per pound plus taxes in my area.

Got Allen vanes for arrows 5 pkgs for $5 Each pkg contains 12 vanes.

Got a NcStar mini 14 side scope mount new for $5

Got 2 Lee lube sizing kits new 308 & 311 for $20 each. Retail average $45 plus taxes.

It was a great day at the show, with bargains. Blessings indeed.