Capt Bart

What have you done today to better your Prep? III

728 posts in this topic

Wow good stuff folks. Had an accidental score at Dick's for a 10/22 takedown, just by walking over and asking " hey you wouldnt happen to have a?" Come to find out they just got it in. High fives all around, now only to find some 10/22 ammo.

Put together a can storage and rotation system.

Recieved sun solar oven to have in addition to volcanoe stove, propane grill and back packing stoves

laid in some more 9mm and 12 gauge ammo

Laid in some more fresh water and cleaned out rainwater collection system.

Gettin garden ready for plantin season, will can this year.

Went through BOB to lighten load or figure out if I need to hire a BOB Sherpa/ refined fishing gear & added heavy duty garbage bags, more paracord and a magnifying glass.

Finishing Truck BOB to have closer to me at all times.

Laid in some more supplies for BOL

Question: Have been looking for what I might call an "all around gas mask" Given the +s and -s of having one what suggestions would this crowd have as far as where to purchase and what type/country. Dont want to risk surplus or recalled as it would be a bad time to have a bad day when this equipment is involved.Thanks! Israely masks seem to be prominent and inexpensive.

Spent most of the day making 7 sheaths out of 2 inch PVC tubing & spray painted them as well.

If your not " Physically Fit ", then your just Food for the Zombies.LOL.

In GOD I Trust, Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!

thats interesting do you have any pictures?

Here they are. The knives were home made from scrap armour steel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1875[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1876[/ATTACH]

Got my E-tool from amazon today, also a field guide to medicinal plants. Have some non-gmo seeds coming later this week. Also, got money together to finally buy my concealed carry gun..yay!!! Going shopping monday.

P210Sig...what's on the handles, nonskid?

Skate board non-slip tape.

Started some seedlings for the garden today. Got ten 50lbs bags of rice that were on sale.

Picked up some dog food & treats to top up.

planted 2 lime trees 2 pomegranates more blue berries and some black berries ad 2 more grape vines

and so far it looks pretty darn good

got the tomatoes going and squash okra cantaloupes and a few water melons of course onions garlic patches 3

and my ginger plant is doing real well I am going to plant 3 or so more if things go well I am going to plant a 100 foot

row of blackberries and the same in blueberries ad half dozen more grape vines and I will be set.

i want to raise perennials don't want to have to replant I want them to raise themselves I spread a handful of Epsom salt

around all the plants and later on i will put down some rabbit manure then last miracle grow I got to ge get some Loquats

this week and make some more jelly ummmm good

Well, I learned that this compass is a piece of doodoo and that I've forgotten a whole lot!! So, I've ordered a good compass and am taking more lessons. Luckily, have a great instructor. former USMC, "no excuse" kind of guy. I'm loving it!

Also, just completed my First Aid/CPR and am now getting into commo.

Yesterday a long time member at my shooting club gave me 800 rds of 444 marlin ammo & about 325 empty cases along with 3 reloading die sets. Said he had no need for the ammo & the dies. Made my day for sure. Need to buy a lever action rifle to shoot the 444 rounds.

Yesterday a long time member at my shooting club gave me 800 rds of 444 marlin ammo & about 325 empty cases along with 3 reloading die sets. Said he had no need for the ammo & the dies. Made my day for sure. Need to buy a lever action rifle to shoot the 444 rounds.

P210SIG,

I'm worried about the stress all those rounds will cause you and your finances without the gun so I'll bite the bullet; send me the ammo and I'll force myself to go get the Marlin. Least I can do for a friend.:rolleyes:

If you've never fired the 444, it has the ballistics of the 45-70 Marlin. I think Marlin started it to have a 45-70 Marlin class rifle and caliber that could not be mistakenly shot in a 45-70 Govt. I fired a friend's .444 and really liked it. Around here it is as rare as the .35 caliber lever guns. Good solid weapons but for some reason never quite found a niche of their own.

With that much ammo, finding a rifle for it makes a lot of sense.

Well, I learned that this compass is a piece of doodoo and that I've forgotten a whole lot!! So, I've ordered a good compass and am taking more lessons. Luckily, have a great instructor. former USMC, "no excuse" kind of guy. I'm loving it!

Also, just completed my First Aid/CPR and am now getting into commo.

Good things to know BEFORE you need to use it "for score". Sounds like you enjoyed a solid class with a good instructor. Congratulations on excellent choices.

Capt Bart,

I've never fired a 444 marlin before, will be looking to buy a rifle for it at the coming gun shows.

I was told that one could fire the 44 magnum round out of the 444 marlin rifle, don't know if it' true or not.

Anyone care to chime in with the info in this matter. Thank's in advance.

Finally got my CCW, which I'm very excited about. Sig p250 9mm subcompact, and I'm anxious to get some ammo and try it out but that will have to wait for next week. Looking to get a holster and a few extra mags ordered this week.

Finally got my CCW, which I'm very excited about. Sig p250 9mm subcompact, and I'm anxious to get some ammo and try it out but that will have to wait for next week. Looking to get a holster and a few extra mags ordered this week.

Shea,

congratulations. A word about the compacts. My Kel Tec 9mm is NOT fun to shoot. I take it to the range and I practice with it BUT the recoil can be surprising for a 9. The compacts and subcompacts are so light and small that they have the felt recoil of a larger caliber. I own one because it fills a needed niche but you absolutely must practice with it. Also, extremely important, get some "snap caps" or similar dummy ammo

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=snap+caps&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=4093307875&hvpos=1t2&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=8557221191122538202&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_28gyv3gsda_b

and practice until you can rack the slide, load and unload, safe and clear your weapon without any part of your body getting in front of the barrel. My Kel Tec has a stiff recoil spring and I've watched shooters get fingers or hands in front of the muzzle as they load and unload. I've never had a negligent discharge but if I do, I bloody well don't want one of my (or any one else's, for that matter) body parts up against the muzzle. Also you have to keep clear of the slide recoil area. That slide comes back with about 10 tons of force per square inch, if you have a finger in the way, you have just lost it.

I like the compacts and subcompacts because they can be concealed when nothing else can but they are not as user friendly as a full size gun. They are however, just as capable of removing body parts so I urge you to practice with something like snap caps until you are completely familiar with the use of your weapon. Then and only then should you load it. I still practice with all of mine using the caps and I've been using some of them for decades.

Just the not so humble opinion of a concerned friend.