Capt Bart

What have you done today to better your Prep? III

got a food strainer and accesory kit I want to remove seeds form my berries before I make them into preserves.

some people with dentures, partials or intestinal problems / diseases don't like or can't process seeds.

the accessory kit comes with a grape strainer and berry strainer cone this extracts the seeds and skins and is hand crank verticle style and that had a better review than the horizontal food mill over a bowel and the one I have can be motorized. without a big deal. and has a clamp not a suction cup base so it is more stable and not prone to falling over.

I have only a couple of items I am looking to repace with stainless versions I do not like aluminum or granitware as the price difference is not worth the longevity of stainless and it's antimicrobial properties.

and I detest plastic although some has more durability and better than bakelite for heat protection handles  etc I see their purpose and if they do ever fail you can replace them with wood.

although it is duplicity I will get a steam juicer later for now this has more usefullness Next year with all the new plants I will be up to my hips in

berries figs and grapes.

Acouple of more hatch outs and i will have eggs out the wazoo so I am planning on doing some specialty pickled versions.

It looks like I am going to have my plate full but that is what I had planned and hoped would work it takes some years for grapes and figs and 2 years for blackberries as they grow on the past years canes.

gardens are a hit and miss affair some years a bumper crop some are pathetic from resons of bugs blight or drought.

and some takes some experience so I hope people get some experience before they are counting on gardening to sustain them.

I do a raised garden in large 15 & 30 gallon pots on concrete blocks easier weeding and control if I need more sun or shade I can move them.

better I can weed them from a folding chair and spot feed water and spray for insects on a individual basis.

some vegetables are cheaper or less trouble than you can raise them some you will haves the daeth touch and others will show your green thumb.

until you try your hand you won't know what your niche is and it takes seasons to figure it out in people time that is a year :lol: maybe too long for you not to have to go through hard times or without.

A large piece of equipment may be too much and complicated or if it is electric and power is intermittant or non existant your going to kick yourself.

I like equipment that can be hand powered and or converted easily to powered that gives the user complete control.

I wanted a mixer that did everything after looking at prices for one and all the attachments {that only work if there is power} I decided that it would be putting all my eggs in one basket and decided to get hand operated with power options as an add on as well if one failed I would not be stuck.

organize / store your equipment in totes and keep it together nothing worse than loosing or misplacing pieces, clean and store after each use.

do not over extend cook or process in batches if there is a problem you can catch it and adjust nothing worse than canning cases only to find out that it did not jell or lids did not seal properly for some reason.

and do a small batch if it is a new or unknown recipe some will not pass your taste requirments it would be hell to have 10 cases of pickles that taste like lighter fluid and that has happened to my mother lucky she made only a case boy those tasted bad so she stuck to her tried and true recipies.

bought almost 40 ounces of black pepper so just over 2 1/2 pounds and put it in a half gallon mason jar.

I need another jars worth as I intend to do some long term presevation / cold smoking of some bacon and hams.

red & black pepper keeps flies and keeps the Cheese or skipper flies  and others off / away after it is smoked and left to hang.

I need to make some muslin sacks to cover the meat as well this also keeps out dust webs and insects and keeps the pepper scent that runs them off

too bad I do not have a root cellar or a cave to store these for years Texas is hot and caves are hard to come by.

here you can hit water digging a fence post, humidity makes a convestion cooler or wet a stone house or even a swamp cooler will not work here most of the time and when it would we would not need it.

I think this area all I can use is a salt box to overcome mildew dampness and insects.

LOL, I've actually dug a well with a post hole digger. Where I was raised a three foot deep hole would have two feet of water in it the next day! That is sort of what  you get when you are 5 or 6 feet above sea level.I did another with two pieces of pvc pipe (1 1/2" and 3/4") and a water hose. You hook the hose to the small pipe and wash the hole out with the small pipe inside the larger pipe. We went 25' down and then hooked a bigger pump to blow out a resevore. Free water for the garden! It had no clorine and they didn't have the cost of garbage pick up and sewer tied onto it. Had to keep it a secret though or the city would have fined him.

While people can if their water table is high they need to use water pressure to make a well as you say it needs to be on the QT

put a cap on it and forget it, untill needed

Damn like you said a blown pit well is great just to let people know every year we dropped a puck of pool bleach in them to kill bacterials.

also they need to dig / drill it away from sewer lines septic tanks and on high ground as low ground collects rain run off and that can carry

all kinds of things we do not want in our water.

Surface water is not always sweet water so it needs to be treated like and I hate using the term "WILD" water as all water was once sea water or fresh that has made the return journey and if there sould be a biological chemical or radiological problem any surface water may be tainted and even if you are clean your neighbors may keep animals or have a seeping system and over years that can get into the surface water table.

depends on the soil as to how well it is filtered naturally.

People wonder why forest fires happen or why we sould not always interfear nature needs the charcoal it is a natural filter it creates acidic soils

from lye leached out with rain that same lye kills a lot of insects as well as the original fire floods pool dangers elements to low ground

and freshen the land from animal fecal matter and plant root systems filter and converts even deadly poisons to other elements and then fire burns the foilage and it starts all over again.

To use a quote from the ORIGINAL movie A Shot in the Dark,  Peter Sellers character inspector Clouseau, "it's all part of life's rich pageant, you know?"

I am bulking up on mason jars and lids.

Managed to get 4 bricks of Remington Yellow Jackets last Friday.

Last time I seen some on store shelves was 14 months ago likely longer.

Price was a shock 68$ per brick, but happy just to have some when needed.

I got lucky and found more used mason jars galss is not tainted by use only damage.

Got 5 more pounds of pectin and now I need 50 pounds of sugar maybe more I know it is all the rage ot go sugar free in hard times a biscuit and jelly may be all you get for breakfast and you want it to have substance to make it till lunch.

Just ate a can of tuna in water from before Fukashima and was as good as a new can probably better as I am not usre what the acceptable radiation level was before but you can bet they only slide the scale to suit the new norm.

Got a radiation dosimeter just for laughs it is a simple visual tag type but it does register Alpha beta gamma and x-rays but not being a meter you would have no idea of a base line or readings to know if your glowing or going to glow soon.

I was thinking about gettin a true detector and going to wallyworld and checking out the veggies and sea food bet the pacifc tuna makes a spike.

I have about 5 cans left of tuna from before fukashima....

I notice their still selling tuna by the bucket loads though I wonder what it is doing to the people? and how can they continue to sell it knowing its probably radioactive?

I have argued this point and people do not want to deal or touch some get so excited they faint from the conversation.

I do not know what is happening but that is my point the government we pay to watch out for us is not doing their jobs.

It is a simple procedure to test before it is even processed on the factory ship and if there are no apreciable difference

then carry on.

it it is rising then it needs to be watched a slight rise is not something to go batsh*t about but if it spikes or has a region that needs to be addressed.

problem is fish migrate and if there is a spike then what could you do ?

but we do not eat seal meat or a lot of other animals when they are at low ebb when the numbers become a threat to them or us that is where good game management comes in you cannot have a spastic tree hugger or animal rights activist runnig things.

In Canada they allowed the goose population to get out of hand and then disease crept in.

same thing with China they need so many birds for food after all they have 1.2 billion people problem is that a mass of birds that could take care of that number of people becomes a breeding ground for disease in the flock herd et. and if it makes the jump to man OH SH*T.

like bird flu it is not prolific as it could be but if it breaks a barrier we do not understand in the meantime millions of people could die.

the half life of thesium is and other radiologic elements is what makes me concerned that we are not given enough information so there plants the seed of conspiracy, I see no need for that better to give information and let the chips fall where they may people will adjust.

that sounds handy...now that you have one does it seem strong enough for any fish? or is it more for perch?

It feels strong enough for small fish & handy to fit in ones shirt pocket.

Will be giving it a test run next month to see how it holds up.

P210SIG

Looks pretty good Small fish are more numerous closer to the bank of course so are the predator fish but it looks like it could handle a couple pound fish

or be used to catch bait fish while you using another method to catch larger fish.

I would say good catch but that would be inappropriate for fishing gear  :rolleyes: 

I finally got off my rear end and scoped my largest and most effective .17 caliber air rifle.(RWS Diana) I am now a significant threat to the _(&)(&*^$ magpies, that destroyed our nesting pheasants nests(and got their eggs) Death to all magpies. We've got a wild cherry tree in the bacl that they like to visit right before dusk, and several of them fall victim to the mean rotten nasty MagpieSniper.

The other birds are all welcome and earn their keep by chowing down on misquitoes and other bugs in the garden, if they eat a strawberry or two, so be it.

I really loathe and despise magpies, crows and ravens(which we have not seen a single one of this year). Crows keep their distance, magpies are greedy little illegitmi.

I've probably got a lifetime supply of hunting pellets, the hardened ones, as well as other pellets for smaller size game(including mini poodles from the neighbors house that will venture back up and get popped in the butt with the grand kids little air rifle and blunt target pellets going LESS than 650 FPS. Have to do that every year. Staying OUT of the wife's way in the garden except for the weeding assignments in the garden. She's mean, cute, but mean if I screw with her vegetables.

well TPSnodgrass

time to put up a bird bath and a feeder closer in :D and I am jellous a cherry tree LOVE CHERRIES, well most any fruit really.

I got blackberries and more blackberries and next year friggin' more blackberries.

I will have to wait a few years to get some decent grapes off the propagated vines.

and I think the fig tree is going to have a bumper crop my second tree has some but it is only 4 foot tall.

I did score a electric motor for my victorio food mill if this year is any indication next should I may need to bring in a migrant picking crew.

Also considering dehydrating some as it is getting crazy I got 10 gallons off 2 I have to pick every day to get them at there peek ripeness.

Plus One Snake on the Victorio Food Mill. Wife has one and swear BY it for canning, won't let me touch it at all.

We've got our black berry vines planted and they are doing OK, hopefully next year we will have some.

Next door neighbor's sistger has a black-berry "problem" on her property, and offered to give us enough "starts" to ring the back of our property as a natural defensive perimeter. Apparently they grow WELL into a 6 fot high sturdy fence, I am hoping so. Can 't wait to get those planted, screw the trespassers. They won't be able to eat ALL of the blackberries either.

Blackberry jam is stellar, so is my wife's strawberry jam from our strawberries. Have the air rifle by the deck door for my magpie "friends". (theiving bastards!)

TPSnodgrass

I wondered if you could build a gigantic bug zapper with the plastic or vynil 2X4's as insolators and fence wire if they landed

and crawled between and made the ground BUZZZZZZZ I think a super charged DC electric fence charger ought to handle them.

Make fire shoot out their nether regions.

I think you will need to control those blackberries I have a version called the Brazos valley thornless and they are invasive canes 3/4 inch in diameter growing 12 to 16 foot I have them on rebar a 20 footer in 2 pipes as a arbor and now they are sprouting all over the yard like bamboo I figure in 5 years a tank could not run through them if they were not kept in check.

the canes after they produce can be used for fire or tiki torches very strong once they die off and dry, I imagine they would be good for many projects when filled with epoxy or glass with fiber I know I will play with some to see if I can maybe a box trap using a figure 4 trip.

Have fun get you some balanced fertilizer like 10-10-10 or such and keep liquid Sevin as a lot of insects like blackberries and a watch for orange rust as well as spray the ground for a few pests that like the canes and roots system.

Make sure to kill off all wild blackberries near your area using a defoiliant or similar as in some cases they cause disease in garden varieties.

Snake,

Thanks for the tip on the berries.

Might have to take a trip out to your neck o-the-woods to poach some of your canes for the back "fence". LIke to see the igits get themselves hung up in those when they try to cut through our property to their friends' home.(knucklehaids)

Your "electric" ground idea made me remember a trick from my youth. Had the neighborhood dogs that liked to get into the 'old" garbage cans, the ones made of galvanized steel.(we used the tops as shields for playing Knights or pirates), I got sick and tired of cleaning up after the neighborhood dogs I got a brillant "idea".

I got myself an extension cord, (oh yes I did), stripped one end of it, tied one set of wires to one each of one cans handles, and the other set of wires to the other set of handles. Then pushed them together and plugged the cord in.

Well, went to bed and "forgot" about my homemade garbage booby trap until my father took out some trash(a major event for him), early morning before work. Accused me for weeks of trying to "electrocute" him...da** dogs never did fall for it after that.So, yes, electricty CAN be your friend.

So your saying the dogs were smarter than your dad LOL ?

electricity is fun I used a 9 volt battery to ........... well I think that is not for publication but nicromium wire is cool stuff.

I am looking forward to finding some other passive garden item.

My lemon trees are doing good lot of small fruit should bend the branches to the ground.

I was speaking to a important individual today one in the know as it were and they seem to think thing may be as bad as they seem financially.

and expects that some major correction is on order like me they are not sure just how severe it could be.

All I know is that I do not think we have anymore arrows in our quiver or the cupboard is bare analogy.

I did hear the banks are like baby birds wanting to be "FED" again a trillion does not go as far as it used to IMHO.

I am rapidly reaching the point where I think that my survival would be best improved if I just stopped watching network TV or reading any of the Government sponsored propaganda papers and magazines. It just runs my BP up and offers nothing that is of worth. The truth may be out there but it isn't available to the common man anymore.

I hear ya my BP is often high after viewing or reading such things but I don't think cutting yourself off would be a good idea either....so we continue to watch the circus unfold and hope that something is salvageable after its all over

I get sideways about all the crap but then I remember I'm in Gods hands so I just let go and let God know what I mean.

I do vote carry on in here and let my posts go out into the ether and hope they get people motivated I know that many of you have kept the fires burning and many great posts and from the hits on the posts we are not alone and it is getting out there so keep swinging our batting average will get better.

and even if it is only a few it's better than no one.

Since yesterday my son & I fabricateted a 2 stroke 80cc motor on to a 21 speed mountain bike.

Sorta / kinda like a moped .

Got her running at a top speed of 38 km. per hour today.with a backpack in tow.

Good option as a BOV but a bit loud, on the minus side of things.

It's great on gas, which is a plus side of things.

what kind of mileage does it get? do you think you could carry enough gas to get to your BOL with it?

My guess would be 80-100 miles per gallon possibly more.

Having enough gas to get me to a BOL is doable, providing that I don't go full throdle & take it easy.