Capt Bart

What have you done today to better your Prep? III

seed fault is one of the best things people can do,  heirloom seeds will keep the culture seed was as important as gold as it took important space

on many ships from the old world that shipped gold and silver.

check your region planting growning as well as sun exposure so you get seeds that will be more succesful for your area.

Never let your personal likes and dislikes effect seed choices food was the first trade good of course we all know what the first profession was :D

Hey everyone! I've been a little out for a while. Getting older SUCKS. Nuff Said.

I've mastered making fire with Real old school Flint and steel and making char cloth to make it easier. I've also made a home base ferrocerium rod to long term fire making. I made it with a 5” long by 1/2” rod and put it on an elk horn handle. I made a jute pompom and added a claw type little knife for striking. I figure it will be good for about a hundred thousand to a quarter million fires easily.

I also picked up a new gun. LOL, I am now the proud owner, me and my Grand Daughter, of a Cricket 22lr bolt action rifle. Let me tell you, it is a game getter and way more accurate then I expected. It is also light and very short making it almost as handy as my AR-7. remove one screw and it is a two piece package that is only about 20" long. I've killed about a hundred cans so far and a couple of turtles that were after my fishing stringer. Using the subsonic ammo it is whisper quiet and still fine for birds squirrels and bunnies.

I've probably picked up about a dozen new knives in the last 6 months. The best buy for me was a Cold Steel GI Tanto. It is cheap, heavy, tough and throws better than any knife that I've ever thrown. It weighs enough that it STICKS DEEP.

Did you know that Mainstay is available in 800 calorie packages? The 3600 cal. block is heavy and a pain to tote for just a two or three day kit. Heck, If I have some L-carnitine and multi vitamians I can live off the fat of the land (meaning my fat butt) for a couple weeks easy...I've done it twice. I've thrown a few of them in all of my bags along with a little water in pouches. I would hate to live on that stuff but it will keep you going when you are running hard and don't want to stop to hunt and cook.

Last saturday, i got a super deal at a liquidation store.

Purchesed comercial sized toilet paper, the ones that are used in restraunts,

At 75 cents per roll taxes in, i managed to get 4 cases with 12 rolls per case.

This should be good for a couple of years i'm hoping.

there is a oil filter that takes TP and is touted to be better than any other filter and is used in conjunction with a standard oil filter

http://www.frantzoil.com/catalog.html

I mean if your prepping for a long term event this filters out almost all particulates and saves you from having to change oil very often

then all that TP may save you more money and keep the vehicle free of FOD ( foregin object damage )

I was cleaning up the furnace room, which is rather large, going to put some more non-perishable storage in there. I "found" a FULL ammo can of .22LR I had stashed in there and forgotten about. WOO-HOO! 4,000 MORE rounds of .22LR into the preps. It pays to have a wife with OCD and insists I clean certain areas.

3 weeks ago at a gun show, I purchased a Lee Enfield that was rebarreled in 7.62x39

as to 303 brit. It's a odd bolt rifle that was modified to take Ruger mini 30 mags in the mag well.

My plan was to get a CZ bolt rifle in 7.62x39 but could not see my self spending over $1000 for a new one.

Used CZ bolt rifles in 7.62x39 are hard to find & still costly $5-800 pending on condition in my area.

So when I came across this Lee Enfield at a asking price of $150 I quickly purchased it.

Made my day.

I got the Cricket for just a little over a hundred bucks around Christmas from accadamy. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want to cough up for an older Lee Loader in 410, buy one of those lane kits or just say to heck with it and make my own. There isn't much to reloading tose little guys and it makes a little powder and a little shot go a long way. I already have a 20ga and am just not interested in loading 12 ga for several reasons. One is that quite simply I have bad osteoarthritis and my Doc told me that that kind of pounding wouldn't be good. I already have two metal hips and set off the airport alarms from 50 feet!

We now have our cistern water system fully opperational. That gives us 2500 gallons of drinkable water no matter what. When the power is on we even have a 2 micron filter on the house line and a well pump to pressurize it. Mostly we have it for the garden and just in case. I also have 10,000 gallons in my pool that is drinkable and good for washing and flushing. We also have another 8,000 galloons in the gold fish pond. I think that with the spring that I've spotted and checked in the woods behind my house that we are pretty set for water.

I'm still working on getting amaranth and Lambs Quarters established as a weed in the edges of my yard and the nearby fields. that and yams are good dependable food sources that nearly nobody recognizes as crops like they would if you did it in a garden. Very few people have ever actually seen potatoes or peanuts growing so you can just spread them around as covert food supplies. As long as you don't make it look like a garden you are good.

My laptop computer finally crashed & died after 9 almost 10 years of service.

I have been posting here for the past 3 weeks with my sons computer & my I-phone.

So yesterday I finally purchased a iPad mini 2 for half the price retail at $160 .

I purchased this from a rich kid who's b day was 2 days ago, & did'nt want it.

Retail price is $300 plus taxes in my area. Kijiji is a good place to find things cheap & if your looking for a deal for things.

I pray & ask for GODS guidance , & I always get what is needed in my life, & I'm great full as to what GOD provides for me daily.

AMEN!

Bought a couple of cases of half gallon mason jars for dry storage found some lime and orange flavored gator aid in tubs make your own

bought 6 of each for 2 bucks apeice.

picked upa set  brakes and the passenger side calliper I did a patch on the drivers side and now I am going to replace the rear brakes and

all the rear end should be ok for a while.

I am cutting an access hatch in my bed so I never have to drop the tank to change a fuel pump whoever designed this ought to be flogged to death

with wiring harness out of a cat bull dozer.

Again another piece of garbage made in a hundred different countries designed by a pimp engeneeried by a whore and quality control overseen by a blind bast@rd.

I had a 56 studebaker truck I sold it what a dumbazz I was,  I also thought I was smarter than my parents and I was WRONG AGAIN !

I'm quite sure most of us here have been through this or been down the road thinking that we were smarter than our parents.

My parents are long gone now, & wished they have lived longer.

Many lessons could have been learned which I missed not listening to my parents at times.

That's why the holy bible says to honour & respect our parents.

I was set in my ways when I was a child, now that I'm older I know better.

I never had the chance to meet my grand parents I do not know if I could have survived them I heard they were tuff as nails

old Irish steam fitters / bioler makers they all raiesed cattle and mules and heavy haul waggons to drag boilers to the rail head.

my grand mothers both thought a wood spoon or for larger children a buggy whip was a child rearing tool :D

I remember my father telling me to blow out the light  LMAO I would smart off and he would yell back you know what the hell I meant !

it was funny he knew what he meant but the words came out of the past like generator instead of alternator little things I miss. ribbing him about.

I was not here over half my life so I have to think what I am going to say other places the local banter is the same but different things we think they would say are actually cursing and until the prevailing morals changed  Italian TV and movies were the best in the 60's certain common words are considered vulgar in certain circles.

my father was 3rd generation my mother was partialy a native and the other about 5th generation American well adctually Texican they were here

before texas was a state, so I doubt I will leave except for a visit to friends now and again.

Went to a gunshow over the weekend & purchased 2 new CZ 9mm mags at $15 ea .

At the cost of $60 to 65 plus taxes retail , in my area it was a excellent deal.

One could always use extra mags.

Found a new Beta crony as well for $20 .

It's nice to have a extra one, for just in case.

I'm a fire bug!!! The char cloth worked so well I gave making char cord a try. It seems to last a little longer than the cloth as a coal. If you ever want to make char stuff it is really simple. I used a altoids can. Drilled a 1/6" hole in the lid but you really don't need it. The hinges leak enough to let the smoke out. I cut up a T-shirt and a old pants leg for the cloth. Cut them about a tight fit for the can and then stacked them in until it was about half full.

I have an old hot plate electric burner I picked up at a garage sale for 3 bucks to cook my concoctions in outside. You could do it just as well on the coals of a nice fire. Just turn it up on high and set the can on the coils. I turn it a few times to get and even burn. You know it's done when it stops smoking. I usually pull the can off and wrap it in  a damp towel to cool it off and keep the air from getting in while it cools.

I test them with old school flint and a striker steel. If it catches then you know a ferocerium rod will fire it up. Char cord is made the same way I just used cotton clothes line. I had to pull a synthetic cor out of it but it worked fine with that out. I don't know as it is any better than cotton ball, dryer lint, jute or even toilet paper if you have a feroceruim rod but with flint and steel it does catch and hold the spark better. I have also found that it is easier than anything that I've tried for starting a fire with a Fresnel lens magnifier.

As long as there are Bic lighters this is of little use but knowledge is light and you never know what could be important someday.

Went to a pawn shop today that was going out of business & purchased a pair of Leica binoculars that was worth almost 1,000$ for 28$.

Did not know the value of the binoculars at first, until I asked a sales rep at a camera store. Leica makes top notch optics which are like Carl Zeiss lenses, if not better.