Sign in to follow this  
psllgroup

Katadyn pocket water filter vs Garmin Oregon 650

Next week for my B/D I figured I would treat myself to something nice. Either getting another Katadyn pocket water filter or getting one of those new models of Garmin Oregon 650 series. By not owning any GPS devices, I figured it might be worthy of getting one. The only thing is the price tag - $479.00. However it does come with 8 megapixel camera, which in terrain might be a nice feature and all the other fancy stuff, but not sure, if GPS is something one really needs, especially choosing it over water filtration system. Was looking at some older Garmin models to save a few bucks, but you do lose a lot of features and performance issues. So the question is, what do you guys think and suggest? I do appreciate your time and input.

My opinion, GPS systems don't work 100% all the time. It's been in the news where people have been lost & taken to the wrong place using GPS. If the satelite system goes down your SOL. That said, i'd choose a water filter system over a GPS gaget anyday.

If your not " Physically Fit ", then your just Food for the Zombies.LOL.

In GOD I Trust, Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!

I'd rather have a topo map and a compass...but then I'm an old guy and never been a big fan of all the techno stuff. The one true thing I can tell you about tech is that it breaks and the batteries will die.

Water filtration is only good if there is water around for you to filter.

GPS is only good if you have good batteries and can hit the satellites.

Does that mean that one is better than the other? Not really, as with all things it would be situational as to which one you'd need more.

P210SIG, vonBayern,

no doubt water filtration should always a be a priority, but wasn't sure about importance of not having a GPS device in my BOB. Never had one and never worked with one, but sometimes is very easy to be misleaded into buying something that you don't have yet, while not necessarily needing it. Thats why input from you guys counts..................

My comment is if you bug-out where are you going? Have you been there before? If so do you know the route & alternatives. I use a gps a lot and find that I mostly use it for places in the woods that I want to return to. for examples, Elk wallows, scrapes & rubs and where I parked the rig.

Are you wanting the Oregon to help you in a bug-out to do what?

I haven't used the Oregon but have a garmin with a map and sometimes find that the map is too cluttered to really use well, a paper map is more functional.

It sounds like you already have a filter are you planning on carrying both? What happens if you become separated from you gear? Perhaps purification tablets in a PSK on your belt or in various pockets?

Just my 2 cents worth?

My comment is if you bug-out where are you going? Have you been there before? If so do you know the route & alternatives. I use a gps a lot and find that I mostly use it for places in the woods that I want to return to. for examples, Elk wallows, scrapes & rubs and where I parked the rig.

Are you wanting the Oregon to help you in a bug-out to do what?

I haven't used the Oregon but have a garmin with a map and sometimes find that the map is too cluttered to really use well, a paper map is more functional.

It sounds like you already have a filter are you planning on carrying both? What happens if you become separated from you gear? Perhaps purification tablets in a PSK on your belt or in various pockets?

Just my 2 cents worth?

ex121, I do spent a lot of time in woods on hikes, maybe not as much as I would like, but the idea of having Oregon (not necessarily just for BOB but for general use, I should of mentioned that) is the 8 mega pixel camera. I do tend to carry with me digital camera, just for basic snapshots, so by having one unit with GPS and that camera resolution capabilities (take snapshots of favorite or interest. locations and in the same time record it's GPS location) might have ben worth investing in it. I am not tech savvy guy and I do prefer paper maps and compass, even though I am still learning to be proficient at it, but wasn't sure if having or not having GPS unit was the way to go.

I do already have Katadyn filter, so just getting another one, either spare or just to have it, in case. Water purification tablets I do carry on me along side with some fire starter items in small container separate from my bag when out.......I do appreciate your input

Main thing that I can see using the GPS for is if you cache things along the route to your BOL...the GPS would make it easier to locate the items, especially if its been a while since you stashed them.

I am sure there is a lot of folks out there who perhaps use GPS devices mostly for these reasons, or treasure hunters..........good stuff

Water is number 1 for survival. In NJ there are rivers, streams and water sources to filter. You will have 3-4 days to take care of your water needs or you die.

As far as GPS when SHTF, I don't need it but if you feel you do then get it. I'm comfortable with a compass.

As always i recommend Just Water products but I sell them so I won't push that as much as do something. There are good water systems out there. Do something about it.

Water is number 1 for survival. In NJ there are rivers, streams and water sources to filter. You will have 3-4 days to take care of your water needs or you die.

As far as GPS when SHTF, I don't need it but if you feel you do then get it. I'm comfortable with a compass.

As always i recommend Just Water products but I sell them so I won't push that as much as do something. There are good water systems out there. Do something about it.

t2940, thats the thing, I wasn't sure if I do need a GPS, just thought it might be something worth investing in it, but you guys are right, water filtration is priority.

Was looking at the Just Water camp filtration system, as you said it's a bad a$$........lol, but leaning towards the Katadyn pocket filter with 13000 gal. capacity. Thanks for your time

I have a Katadyn Hiker that I use for hunting trips and in my GHB. For longer term stays in the wilderness I prefer the Sawyer gravity filters, they have a million gallon guarantee and can be cleaned by back-flowing them. The Katadyn you are looking at is a much upgraded version of mine.

I have a pair of Garmin Rhino GPS/radio units we use hunting. I carry the 520 with the good color maps and cards for the state I am hunting. I give the 120 to whoever I am hunting with. It is a black and white base unit, but functional. The nice thing about these is that they can be set-up to show the position of the other user on the GPS screen. It is nice if someone gets injured, needs help getting an animal out, etc if we can see each other's location on the screen and walk to that person. The newer versions I think are the 650 and 655. Both are nice, but I think only one takes a AA battery kit, the other only uses the internal rechargeable battery. I wouldn't buy one that wouldn't run on AA's.

You could get one of the cheaper Sawyer filters, and a GPS similar to mine for that amount if you shop around a little. Not trying to talk you out of buying top quality the first time because I tend to like to go that route myself, but if you are trying to stretch your money this is another option.

I would always choose water filtration over GPS. As stated, maps don't run out of batteries and are far cheaper. Spend $50 on a good set of local and regional maps, spend $150 of that money on a good quality water filter and then the remaining money can buy other survival essentials. You could get a very nice, lightweight tent for the $300 left over by not buying your GPS unit. Also, any lighted device when used at night stands a decent chance of giving away your location when you activate it. This could be a big issue if you're trying to move under the radar.

I would always choose water filtration over GPS. As stated, maps don't run out of batteries and are far cheaper. Spend $50 on a good set of local and regional maps, spend $150 of that money on a good quality water filter and then the remaining money can buy other survival essentials. You could get a very nice, lightweight tent for the $300 left over by not buying your GPS unit. Also, any lighted device when used at night stands a decent chance of giving away your location when you activate it. This could be a big issue if you're trying to move under the radar.

MajorKrisis, good point. Upon reading all responses and reading more reviews about GPS devices and it's specs I have decided go with the water filtration systems. Just ordered a couple of different Sawyer water filtration systems, that should last me many years to come, or if TSHTF with leaving me still enough money in my pocket for some other survival essentials. Read a lot of good reviews about sawyer systems, with 1 million gallons of water guaranteed, so hoping for the best. Thanks for your feedback.

MajorKrisis, good point. Upon reading all responses and reading more reviews about GPS devices and it's specs I have decided go with the water filtration systems. Just ordered a couple of different Sawyer water filtration systems, that should last me many years to come, or if TSHTF with leaving me still enough money in my pocket for some other survival essentials. Read a lot of good reviews about sawyer systems, with 1 million gallons of water guaranteed, so hoping for the best. Thanks for your feedback.

Get the lab reports, my tech's did and one place was no longer open and the other was some tiny place somewhere I can't remember. A million gallons is a lot so i'm curious who ran that test. If you get it i'd like a copy and i'll go distribute with them. The tech's also didn't like the fragile backwash device for outdoor use. It's a thin plastic syringe.

This is just an observation and not a "cut". I like to stay on the leading edge. This place helps me do this.

On another note, has anyone seen the one at Costco that uses UV to kill bacteria and virus's? Looks kinda cool but batteries might be a problem if SHTF. May be a good travel gadget though.

Get the lab reports, my tech's did and one place was no longer open and the other was some tiny place somewhere I can't remember. A million gallons is a lot so i'm curious who ran that test. If you get it i'd like a copy and i'll go distribute with them. The tech's also didn't like the fragile backwash device for outdoor use. It's a thin plastic syringe.

This is just an observation and not a "cut". I like to stay on the leading edge. This place helps me do this.

On another note, has anyone seen the one at Costco that uses UV to kill bacteria and virus's? Looks kinda cool but batteries might be a problem if SHTF. May be a good travel gadget though.

t2940, I actually called Sawyer customer support asking about the 1 million gallons guarantee and about the lab test, and they directed me to this microbiological test result on Sawyer PointOne filter and guaranteeing it's result. I guess to really to find out to get it and try it in the field, which I will do in a few weeks.

http://www.sawyer.com/tech-down.html

http://www.sawyer.com/documents/field-micro.pdf

Cool psllgroup, i love data. Unfortunitly the first link to Hydreion Labs led me to a Japanese site/when converted to English it was about family divorce. That was the www.hydreion.com link.

I'll look around more though and give it a chance. Any way, you are a big help because i'm not married to any one warehouse or vendor.

VonBayern..............................................LMAO

t2940, I hear ya man. I am looking at the link, what can I say? I just called again the Sawyer tech support and been transferred to one of their engineers and asked him about the Hydreion company, this is what he told me- Hydreion lab was a large an independent company working with University of Montana, but now they are out of business, but supposedly they have done ton's of testing and somewhere on the net one should be able to find more about their history. Now Sawyer doe's their own in facility product testing, but those results they don't publish.

I guess one will never really know, what the real results are, but what other options do we have? Go by reviews from others and hope for the best. I was looking to get another Katadyn pocket filter, and was looking at some other brands, but liked the Sawyer, the reviews, the price, the set up and the optional hook up's to my Camelbak reservior's. Appreciate your help.

t2940, I hear ya man. I am looking at the link, what can I say? I just called again the Sawyer tech support and been transferred to one of their engineers and asked him about the Hydreion company, this is what he told me- Hydreion lab was a large an independent company working with University of Montana, but now they are out of business, but supposedly they have done ton's of testing and somewhere on the net one should be able to find more about their history. Now Sawyer doe's their own in facility product testing, but those results they don't publish.

I guess one will never really know, what the real results are, but what other options do we have? Go by reviews from others and hope for the best. I was looking to get another Katadyn pocket filter, and was looking at some other brands, but liked the Sawyer, the reviews, the price, the set up and the optional hook up's to my Camelbak reservior's. Appreciate your help.

Hey, we're all here to help each other ain't we??..............I'm just further in the liability loop since I sell the stuff so I have to have the lab reports in writing. It's a "trust but verify" kinda thing.

I'm just thankful for all i've learned here on this forum. You can start out not knowing anything about something and there are some great folks (including yourself) that can enhance the learning curve.