Sign in to follow this  
Alethia

Newbie Blade Questions

Since I have just started putting preps together, I have been planning my BoBs, and of course knives have been an essential part of my plan. I was looking at having a Benchmade Presidio Combo Edge as my EDC, having a Ontario Air Force Knife, a 8” Kukri and a Geber Gator Machete. I would love the perry blade or similar Damascus steel blade, but I need to be selective with funds.

My wife asked:confused:, why not have the folding utility knives with the easily replaceable blades like http://www.lowes.com/pd_253834-16878-60655_0__?productId=1072421&Ntt=kobalt+utility+knife&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dkobalt%2Butility%2Bknife&facetInfo=

Since you can get a normal blade, a hook blade for gutting and cleaning game, we even have a saw blade for it. I can't blame her for asking the question, in fact it is pretty smart and I didn't have a good response in favor or against.

What are the drawbacks for having this as a small knife in the preps?

Alethia, if I may, those type of knives I been using in roofing/siding jobs, the tips of the blades do break off easily and the locking mechanism can't be trusted. As far as EDC blade I like personally Spyderco Paramilitary and Military, have both and loving them, as far as fixed blade I like Cold steel SRK........JMHO.

Edited by Capt Bart
remove links per psligroup's request

Since I have just started putting preps together, I have been planning my BoBs, and of course knives have been an essential part of my plan. I was looking at having a Benchmade Presidio Combo Edge as my EDC, having a Ontario Air Force Knife, a 8” Kukri and a Geber Gator Machete. I would love the perry blade or similar Damascus steel blade, but I need to be selective with funds.

My wife asked:confused:, why not have the folding utility knives with the easily replaceable blades like http://www.lowes.com/pd_253834-16878-60655_0__?productId=1072421&Ntt=kobalt+utility+knife&pl=1¤tURL=%3FNtt%3Dkobalt%2Butility%2Bknife&facetInfo=

Since you can get a normal blade, a hook blade for gutting and cleaning game, we even have a saw blade for it. I can't blame her for asking the question, in fact it is pretty smart and I didn't have a good response in favor or against.

What are the drawbacks for having this as a small knife in the preps?

I tend to stay away from those types of knives, weapons, tools, etc. To start with, you must tack the location of the 'replacement' parts just like you would a second or third knife. Secondly, while you have the 'hook' blade in place, you do not have a straight blade knife. I usually have up to five edges on me at any time. The multi-tool role is filled by a Leatherman, a Swiss Army Knife, a couple of 3 bladed folders, a spare Leatherman like tool and a couple of other folders. I don't have to modify my knife to get the blade I need. I do have the box cutters for work with boxes but it is a single use item for me. It would be a very bad day if that was the only blade I had.

I don't usually carry a fixed blade because I live in a city and work on a federal reservation. Out in the tall and uncut, I have a Kay Bar and a machete. I've had bad luck with the multiple use, change the blade type tools and knives. Doesn't mean what you are doing is wrong, but my history makes me doubt the efficacy of such a system for long term use.

Just my not so humble opinion.

The issue here is your situation, if you have to cross 50miles of boreal forest as part of your bug out then a knife like he Ontario you mention will be you middle level blade. If your bug out is exiting a small town crossing the plains a few mile to your grandparents farm than the Ontario might be fine for your strongest blade. Part of blade choice that many do not think about is can you MAINTAIN the knife and edge, either by equipment or skill level, a lot can't. For this reason the addition of a razor knife is not a bad idea for your BOB. I have a gerber EAB that is part of my EDC that uses the same double side disposable blades you are talking about and uses very little room (they do not like the cheap blades only the heavy duty ones fit right). If you know what your doing these blades can be re edged a few times without any real work.

I actually carry a pack of those type blades in my BOB. All you need is a piece of wood that you split and then wrap the split to make it hold the blade and you are in business for all sorts of light skinning and such. A hose clamp will even make it a pretty fast change.

Plan B is the set of 4" vice grips that I carry. I can just clamp onto the blade and get after it. I also have a few sawsall and jigsaw blades in the little package and a few drills as well. I used a dermal to groove the jaws for holding the saw blades vertically instead of sideways.

me three Damn:

In fact I picked up a SOG assisted opener almost as good as my switch blade similar blade half serrated

I still carry my Swiss army explorer for all the tools it offers and on my key ring a Swiss army pen knife.

I have a converted gravity buck knife and Smith & Wesson tactical assisted opener and across the room I have my custom

Twillings Barlow 2 blade with fancy file work back strap and ivory scales.

A custom MC bowie and a full tang SS combat knife w/ skull crusher butt and kydex sheath but my all time favorite

is my Roy Rodgers trick knife or my gerber or my ON and ON and ON IT NEVER ENDS I will be starting a 12 step program

meetings 10, 2 and 6

If it has a cutting edge on it I LIKE it!! I also like the older styles in a lot of knives like the Buck 119 hunting knife and the Buck 102 woodsman knife. The old bowie style is just pretty to me. I also have the Kabar army knife that my dad carried and then as a smaller companion for it the Kabar short military. There is also a real nice Kabar neck knife that I like a lot. There also seems to be a fascination with the Cold Steel products. I have both bushman blades, SEVERAL different machete/swords that they make and several other fixed and folding blades from them.

I mostly prefer carbon steel and the older cold steel carbon V steel was a great knife steel. If I had the money I think that I could have a real problem with Damascus steel knives. I have a couple or three made by puma and they are REAL pretty. I like the Mora line of knives and all three of their steels are good. Their triflex steel is about the best for skinning that I've ever used. The Kershaw assisted openers are nice EDC. I have three of them.

Swiss Victorinox knives are just the best for small multitool/knives...I have about 7 or 8 leathermans too though. Shrade back when they made carbon steel knives were GREAT. I have a collection of them...

DANM this is sort of disturbing and I haven't even started on my daggers, hawks, throwing knives, Battle axes and hawk much less my pretty dress knives and boyscout knives... Where did you say that you were going for the 12 step program Snake...?

oh yea you brought up another point leatherman tools and their group.

there are so many I have at least a half dozen that were gifts or I have bought one has a pouch with 81 tips then I added

a set of safety / gas or hollow pointed torx tips.

a leatherman crunch is a must have when a person is tired or hot or cold tactile senses need some help.

vice grip style pliers have a real place in survival as does slip joint pliers and fencing pliers in a urban setting more so

but I would feel unprepared even if I were in the bush I have used slip joint pliers to debark a limb to make a stopper

and give you great leverage to bend metal or unscrew pipe or fittings fencing pliers are a wire workers dream and when

you make furniture or tools use of wire as a turnbuckle to draw tight wood joints or keep legs or buck saws tight.

and pulling fence staples and it can pull nails and brads.

tools are only limited by the users imagination I for one would not want to bug out as the loss of my tools would be

a heart breaker I am forever doing projects and I have found it takes damn near half the tools I own on some seemingly

simple deal.

a pin vice is one tool if you have ever had to make a new pin makes it so easy if you had to make a extractor pin you know

that your fingers are not strong enough to hold cut and file or stone given it is already hard I have made a pin from roll stock

and have had them go bye bye in the grinder imagine trying to work on your eyeglasses even if you have good vision

a simple set of cheaters makes it easier to work on small things like a carburetor or a splinter you can't hold a magnifier and use

a pair of tweasers at the same time if it is in you hand.

We speak of edged tools but pointed ones are even more important I have numerous needles cloth upholstery leather

and on my Swiss army I have an awl between the blades of my tweasers I have a sewing needle in both my explorer and pen knife.

picks and pins for digging meat out of nuts like pecans etc.

Ice picks for pulling yourself out after breaking through ice on a lake or river digging for grubs pining crayfish I use one to

poke through the tough lip tissue of fish to keep from stabbing my hand with the clip

and like an edged weapon these use stones and steels to sharpen I have a few ceramic fuses that I use to sharpen with.

serrated edges require a triangle or an wedge style to re-cut the serrations to a keen edge it all will fit in a large shoe polish can

if you know what to get a puck I like Arkansas stone type ceramic wedge about 2 to 3 inches long the triangle i like a groove on it

to sharpen fish hooks {another pointed tool} and a diamond steel I love stones steels and sharpening widgets also

and a strop with carborundum paste or I also use clove polishing compound and or flitz or similar paste.

on rough tools I also use files like an axe or machete or you can use a peening tool leahman's has them instead of using

a file or stone you hammer or draw the edge out. believe it or not for those who are not into it Sharpening is a science

and takes an apprenticeship / helper some time to master and understand the hundreds of tools taps dies and bores

and drills etc etc this is one of those odd specialty labor that took a hundred years to refine and a speed bump in society

can drag us back into the dark ages and many people do not realize that even the science of ceramics is in it's infancy

as compared other specialized labors and professions and this is just these 2 what looks like simple tools sets edged tools and

weapons and sharpening tools / stones I have a catalog and it has hundreds of pages of stones fixtures and jigs grits pastes

media and it will make your head hurt to have to know all the items.

so now I am considering a 12 step program for files stones and jigs etc. oh my.....I have a spyderco stone it cost about a

hundred bucks a set of various shaped and special materials and man made hundreds of bucks and those will fit in a bank bag

well almost my needle file selection is in another bank bag and a half dozen different handle types OH NO HANDLES and

there we go again.

" Lee Valley " is the place to find specialty tools of all sorts.

They have way better quality tools than " Lows " that's for sure.

My wife says I should buy stocks in the company.

With the time & money I spend there. LOL.

If your not " Physically Fit ", then your just Food for the Zombies.LOL.

In GOD I Trust, Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!

We don't want to forget the primitive wood working type tools too!! I love a good draw knife, crook knife planes, gouges, scorps, adzes and all the stuff you need to make furniture for your cabin after you build it. I picked up a special plane the other day at a flea market that cuts rabbit joints. I guess this is why I plan on bugging IN. I couldn't leave them or carry my tools and weapons in anything less than an 18 wheeler!

Every one needs a crook knife by the way. It will make whittling spoons and even little bowls a lot easier.

We don't want to forget the primitive wood working type tools too!! I love a good draw knife, crook knife planes, gouges, scorps, adzes and all the stuff you need to make furniture for your cabin after you build it. I picked up a special plane the other day at a flea market that cuts rabbit joints. I guess this is why I plan on bugging IN. I couldn't leave them or carry my tools and weapons in anything less than an 18 wheeler!

Every one needs a crook knife by the way. It will make whittling spoons and even little bowls a lot easier.

I could make a pair of chop sticks in 5 minutes or less.

LOL, I would starve to DEATH if I had to eat with those things!! I just can't get them to moegate correctly. I'm a knife fork and spoon sort of epicurean. That said I do just love some oriental food and eat it at least once a week most weeks. I'm not sure that a wok wouldn't be about the second most useful cooking implement right behind a big pot/dutch oven for survival type cooking. Besides, chop sticks are pretty slow going for soups and a bowl is a nice thing to have anyway. A crook knife or scorp is just the thing for small work.

When I was teaching my children to use chop sticks, they had to pick up a single grain of rice one at a time. LOL.

If your hungry enough, you learn real quick.

well my friends basically use chop sticks as a shovel tip up the bowel.

Well you could do it, I certainly wouldn't go there.

Well I don't personally know any skinny oriental people they are not obese but more like well fed.

I can use chop sticks pretty well I have a drawer with some of the balsa wood snap and use for the dine out crowd.

Was given a set that are silver capped made of lignum vita and inlay of elephant ivory and come in a silk lined cylindrical case.

and I would rather poke out my eyes with them than use them very special and personal gift.

I have a box of personal stuff like that once and a while you have a trip down memory lane good ones and bad ones but hey

it's been a interesting life just what I thought I wanted when I was young I was too young to understand the cost.

hind sight is 20-20.

So Snake, I'm not sure what you said Bowl or Bowel ??

Bowl is what soups is in, in most cases.

Bowel is shit/crap that comes from ones ass.

Ha, you'll eat crap/shit that comes from one ass. Shovel it in is no problem for you, that's real funny. LOL.