Sign in to follow this  
ZM1995

mosin nagant

well i found a store that sells ammo 8 bucks for twenty so not too bad lol and it shoots good still stiff as a damn board but a good cleaning should straighten it out thanks for the input

I don't own one, but i did get to shoot one 2 summers ago. They sell for $250 or less in Canada. The felt recoil is close to a 3006 from what i experanced & the cost of surplus ammo which is cheap, it's a winner. Oh i did hit a 24 inch gong with it with iron sights at 380 yards shooting prone.

If your not " Physically Fit ", then your just Food for the Zombies.LOL.

In GOD I Trust, Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!

good shooter with a bit of reloading probably shoot minute of angle groups easy

make sure you clean out all of the cosmoline {packing grease} as in winter it gets gummy and slows down the firing pin

even to a point of not firing there are after market stocks and PLEASE do not take off the iron sights it is what make them

a battle rifle a sporting rifle new types with no iron sights when the scope falls off its a boat paddle.

so take it out of the stock clean it well I use diesel and a ketchup squirt bottle and irrigate the bolt

best to disassemble it and clean it properly. re lube with a good quality lite synthetic oil that does not

gum up or seize in cold climates.

youtube and the net has many resources here are a couple.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/carbinenagant/disassemble/hs.asp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9byqFz3p04

The Mosin Nagant has a long and honorable history http://mosinnagant.net/. The Finnish version http://mosinnagant.net/finland/default.asp has a long history. The "white ghost" of Finnland used one to kill the majority of his over 700 kills in WW2 (at least 500 of them with the Mosin). http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/featured/white-death-simo-hayh/20951

It's ballistics is on a par with the 30.06 or the 7.62 NATO. It is 7.62X54R (R for Rimmed) and performs accordingly. The ammo was fairly inexpensive and is not in high demand from government users of ammo like the 9mm or 5.56 NATO. If TSHTF it would be prudent to be able to reload the round. While I "think" (do not know and MUST be checked before trying) a standard .308 bullet would be suitable for the reload the bigger problem is with the primers. The American designed "Berdan" primers is used in most European rounds and is a bear to reload because of the shape of the primer. The "anvil" which causes the primer to pop is part of the case, not the primer, hence the primer is hard to extract and the case is difficult to clean. The European designed "Boxer" primer has the 'anvil' in the primer cap itself so there is a single clean hole in the case which lends itself readily to reloading. There is some American made 7.62x54R brass http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1311153110/norma-reloading-brass-762x54mm-rimmed-russian-762x53mm-rimmed for reloading but I don't know what primer system is used.

I think the Mosin is roughly equivalent to the Gunsite Scout Rifle in .308 and that is NOT a bad choice. So IF you can stockpile enough ammo or can reload the cases you have then it is a good choice.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Some Mosin Nagants have a "sticky bolt" issue. When the bolt assembly heats up, it can jam 3/4 of the way back. To see if yours has this issue, try firing about 10 rounds in rapid succession. Usually, if it is going to demonstrate sticky bolt, it will start to do it as it heats up from firing multiple rounds.

Also, most of the ammo available in the US is corrosive. As a precaution against damaging the bore, I would clean it the same day you shoot it if at all possible.

I found this reproduction scope on Sportsmans Guide. Be advised, this type of scope will require you to purchase a turned-down bolt and have a gunsmith install it.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/firefield-reproduction-35x-mosin-nagant-scope.aspx?a=910189

A quick Google search found this guy, who makes turned-down bolts at an apparently reasonable price.

http://maxshepherdboltproducts.com/

Nice rifle and usually available for under $150 (some as low as $119 at shows before recent madness). The buttstock may be a little short for some shooters, so consider adding some length to it with a Limbsaver attachment, which will also help with recoil. As for scopes, I have seen several manufacturers and I've personally used a long eye relief scope which works very nicely on this rifle once you get used to it. This is in the alternative to having to mount a traditional scope and all the attendant issues there.

The 7.62x54R round, performance wise, is similar to the 30-06 and many hunters use this as their deer rifle. Makes a nice survival arm and if you decide to "upgrade" later, could be a good hand out as well. Unlike a lot of other calibers, I still see this available at Gander Mountain (that, and .17 caliber are about it). Nice pickup.

i picked mine up.both because its cheap ($150) durable and easy to use so i could use it as both a handout and a good bug out weapon i test fired the same day i bought it and i was immediately happy with the results i discovered it shoots high and to.the left but i learned last night that the front sight adjusts left and right for windage so i can tweek it until i get it shooting dead on

That it great, ZM1995, just be careful. If you don't watch out, Mosin Nagants tend to breed pretty quickly in your gun safe. Like rabbits really. If you like the Model 91/30, see if you can find an M44 after the prices go back down (if ever). These run a bit more even in normal times, and they are the shorter barrel carbine version. I found mine to be very handy in the woods since you don't feel like you are lugging around a Kentucky long rifle through the brush. Recoil is a little more and you will definitely get noticed at the range. That two feet of fire shooting out the barrel when you pull the trigger does catch some attention.

I have an M44 sporterized carbine, with the "bent bolt" conversion for use as a scoped rifle. The rifle is equipped with am excellent scope and IS extremely accurate. Recoil is subjective, anvil's mine definitely "feels" much less than. any .30-06 I own.

I am SOLD on my particular combination, as it is reliable, very accurate and I can specifically tailor loads which I do, with reloading.

An excellent all around rifle in my opinion and experience.

ZM, most Mosin Nagants will actually shoot about 3" to the right at 100 yards. The Soviets would often zero them with the bayonet fixed as Soviet infantry tactics lagged far behind their German and British equivalents up until 1943.

What year was yours manufactured in? Is it a Russian 91/30 or was it manufactured somewhere else?

If you haven't purchased the scope yet, I plan in purchasing the bent bolt mid-May and the scope mid-June, with it gunsmithed and back to me by mid-July. I am going slow on gun upgrades right now due to closing on a house andthe high cost of keeping ammo in my safe.

I would recommend checking the next gun show in your area for a seller that offers a 2 cans for $150 deal. The local C&E gun show has a guy that sells them still in the box with Russian markings. I would suggest opening and shooting one "spam can" (440 rounds) and putting the other in storage.

I have an M44 sporterized carbine, with the "bent bolt" conversion for use as a scoped rifle. The rifle is equipped with am excellent scope and IS extremely accurate. Recoil is subjective, anvil's mine definitely "feels" much less than. any .30-06 I own.

I am SOLD on my particular combination, as it is reliable, very accurate and I can specifically tailor loads which I do, with reloading.

An excellent all around rifle in my opinion and experience.

Any issues with the primers or do you use American rounds? This has always been a concern for me with the Russian ammo of all calibers.

Cap, to date NO issues with the surplus Eastern European primers of any kind-knock-on-wood. I am also OCD with my firearms when it comes to cleaning, so any "corrosive primer" issues have to date been non-existent.

TP,

not picking on you but one more question. What bullet selection do you reload. I am just curious but I like to know so if I tell someone else something I'm not talking nonsense.