Sign in to follow this  
ladywolf

Getting out of the rat race

In an effort to lower my overhead, I now understand the absurdity of having an apartment (I am the sole occupent 95% of the time.) I have about 6 months left on my lease so I'm using this time to find alternative housing that will allow me the funds I need to garden and raise livestock again. I'm going to retrofit a bus to live in. The best case scenario my former father- in- law sells me back the bus. One of the hardest most time consuming projects is getting the seats out this one was aready gutted. This will be a big project as I'm going to have to beg barter and pay to have things done to it to make it habitable.

I hate where I live. I'm rarely outside my apartment and all my money goes into it. I didn't fully understand when I lived this way before how liberating it actually was. We raised chickens rabbits and goats. It was alot of work but I was working for me and NOT the goverment.

Neccesity is the mother of all invention

I ne'er "thought" I would enjoy working in our garden, I am NOT a "Gardner" but my wife sure is! I have assigned myself the weeding, watering and other heavy lifting sweaty chores that a productive garden requires. I find it somewhat therapeutic.

While we live in a small city we still almost an acre wooded lot with tons of wildlife. The boss wants chickens, so she is going out have them. Found a "cute" chicken coop that even I can build to house them and the city allows us to have chickens too.

I am "renting" two goats this summer for brush control, to reduce fire danger, we will also get cheese from the goat herder as part of allowing them to graze.

Have a young steer grazing close by within walking distance for protein.on-the-hoof, grass fed and come this fall, half of him will be in our freeze the other half divided between two of our adult kids.

We wish you well in your endeavors!

Ladywolf,

sounds like a plan. My bride and I are talking about getting a trailer (even a fema trailer) for some land we have as a BOL. Still, remember that a bus, trailer, RV, etc. are fundamentally not as secure as brick and mortar. I think (personal bias, don't know) it is probably safer than an apartment but you must plan on fire/disaster evacuation or protection. Do not try to ride out a tornado in a bus! Find yourself a spot for a storm shelter; make sure you have a fire evacuation path from EVERYWHERE in the bus (OK, I'm paranoid about fire), and realize that you are not as secure against forced entry as you are in a more permanent structure. You might consider an "armored" room - by that I mean a place where if some idiot is sitting on the road punching holes in your bus with his .22, you can duck down behind a bullet shield. Add some real, solid doors for a safe room on the inside and it is a pretty good spot.

With none of those things, I still think you're better off in the bus in a more rural area than you are in an apartment. I've lived in apartments before and I did not like it!

Just my not so humble opinion of course.

Have you considered a shipping container?

Try Binging or Googling "Living in a shipping container"

I've seen some of those online that are really cool. Amazing what a cutting torch will do.

Thanks for all the input. I have several reasons for doing this to get through school and to save money to buy property. I've lived in a school bus before as well as a 28 ft camper. The draw backs of the bus were that we moved in without doing the necessary prep work inslating the floor walls. As well as seting up bathing and toilet facilites. I've been doing alot af reseach over the past few days. I think I going to look for something smaller like a church bus. I only need space to eat sleep and do homework more or less. Thank god for you tube. I have gotten alot of ideas from there, many falling under why didn't I think or remember that. I've downloaded google sketchup which is a 3D floor plan designer. Now I just need to find the vehicle that will suit my needs and I can drive. So I have actual footage to work with in the mean time I can get specs similair to what I want and work of off that.

I'm working on a 6 month deadline which sounds like alot but isn't when I factor in school and work. As of now I have 5 weeks of school left then I will go back to work full time until mid august when I start the fall semester. No rest for the wicked.

Here's an update on the bus... I've located and settled on a price with the owner (my former father in-law) my former spouse and his folks own the 2 acres it parked on. They're going to discuss amongst themselves if they want me to move it so I'm waiting on a response. It's a full size school bus 197 sq feet the rest of the specs will have to wait until I can get a look at it.

No rest for the wicked

Here's another update on the on going bus saga...My time table was for 6 months when my lease was up however I was let go from my job on Friday. Which has put me into a bit of a tail spin I worked for this company for about 3 years. I'm going to move back with my folks awhile probably until the end of summer. I will have to wait out the worst of the heat, so I don't have to worrying about A/C until next summer. I had a look at the bus and property its so green and beautiful. The bus and outbuildings are a disaster. There will be a lot cleanup work even before the renovation can begin on the interior. The bus is a mid 90's International diesel. First on my very long list is getting the grass moved here in Arkansas poisonous snakes are a very real problem. The grass is about 10 in high and very thick. on the bright side the cleaning, mowing and power washing are things I can do myself. The more I can do the less help I will need which makes me happy. I have a great support system with friends and family; I am so grateful for each an every one.

Fortitudo et Pertinacia

Courage and Determination

Ladywolf,

sounds like a plan. My bride and I are talking about getting a trailer (even a fema trailer) for some land we have as a BOL. Still, remember that a bus, trailer, RV, etc. are fundamentally not as secure as brick and mortar. I think (personal bias, don't know) it is probably safer than an apartment but you must plan on fire/disaster evacuation or protection. Do not try to ride out a tornado in a bus! Find yourself a spot for a storm shelter; make sure you have a fire evacuation path from EVERYWHERE in the bus (OK, I'm paranoid about fire), and realize that you are not as secure against forced entry as you are in a more permanent structure. You might consider an "armored" room - by that I mean a place where if some idiot is sitting on the road punching holes in your bus with his .22, you can duck down behind a bullet shield. Add some real, solid doors for a safe room on the inside and it is a pretty good spot.

With none of those things, I still think you're better off in the bus in a more rural area than you are in an apartment. I've lived in apartments before and I did not like it!

Just my not so humble opinion of course.

fema trailers are actually pretty good you just won't be able to do alot of remodeling the walls aren't very strong and their not very insulated.

If you can luck up and get a refrigerated trailer to use as a beginning that would be helpful.....there are even insulated containers if you get really lucky as they usually get snapped up as soon as the become available.

Sorry to hear about your difficulties ladywolf but that is the way it seems to hit "from behind"

keep your dream and get unemployment and try to get by as far as the bus one way to make it cheaper

look for a habitat for humanities location they have stores and sell donated STUFF less expensive that way.

first gut all the seats do not attempt to alter the ceiling curve it will be better if you use metal strapping

fit tight and use mylar bubble wrap type insulation then paneling or even old cloroplast {plastic card board}

OLD singnage ask sign companies where and what you can pick up as many elections the signs are thrown away

fit tight there is useually a rail at the start of the roll of the roof of the bus fit and cut the cloroplast and it will

hold the bubble wrap insulation if you use the grain of it to wedge it in it there is no rail over the windows a wood

board will give you the ledge you need use self tapping metal building screws to screw it in from out side use the

load levelers to hold the board in place as your on the outside screwing it in.

figure out what and how many windows you want to keep and go over the rest if your going to use wood heat

one window will need to be replaced and an insulation layer thin sheet of flat thin metal will need to be over the wall

with an air gap so you do not eat up internal space .

as far as the bathroom no flooring clear to metal and coat with truck bed liner as ANY water will soak any wood

and that ain't good your walls can be plywood on a unistrut frame use tabs of thin angle iron to attach these to the roof

you can get this free from garage door companies they pull out the old rails and it has angle iron you can cut with a sawsall

use same screws as they have a rubber washer to seal the roof

the windows on a bus are the one thing people try to work around the better way is to GO OVER THEM

pink stryro sheet is 4 X 8 put it up with double sided tape use a load leveler from an 18 wheeler you need at least

2 to 4 they act like a jack and extend across to hold one or both sides any way after the pink stryo use 1/2 inch

plywood use the levelers and hold in place and put a 1 X 4 every 18 inches this will also over lap the joints of the plywood

as well as hold it in place.

The floor you can use 3/4 inch plywood and go over what is there removing what you can and you can cover it with vynal

behind the drivers seat build a wall with a door a good solid one as it is easy to break into a bus I would use metal

as far as the back end and the front you need to make a pattern for the roof angle out of cloroplast so you can transfer it to

plywood or metal what ever you decide so you can cut it clean and even this will help with cutting your cabinets .

or you can use metal slider boxes that are used in offices and bot right to wall.

do not worry about the ceiling as you need to coat it with a white latex roof sealer so the sun does not turn it into a

solar oven.

the sink and shower go together and commode are easy but they need a valve to be legal and RV twist connector

and come together with a valve the tanks are expensive about 200 bucks and are about 30 to 40 gallon IF you go total

RV but you can go PARK MODEL and not use one and just go straight to hose.

a regular stove is fine but you must use clips to anchor to the wall and use a professional hose like for a fish fryer

to connect it but shut it off after each use if your moving a gas detector is advisable.

If you need a plan or layout go to motor home or travel trailer dealers and get the free pamphlets with the design on it

and you can mimic it in your design consider the rear as a pipe chase back your bathroom up to it so if you need to repair

any plumbing you have a little room with all of it open and easy to work on also you can have a barrel or container for

water storage and keep a generator back there or tools etc.

make everything with a hollow base for extra storage a bench seat bed a table can be put in different places just use

a floor scutcheon and pipe to mount where ever you want and you can have another scutcheon somewhere else

pull the table and move it.

your commode can be a porcelain one but mount it on a square of plywood and use a normal floor flange and wax seal

I would use faucet seals and put the bolts through them and snug them up as you need a bit of flex if you move it.

It is not that hard I have done a few

As far as electrical use a 100 amp panel and the proper RV cable to connect the power to it and run track with romex and

wall boxes so if you need to mess with it no problem the cover comes off the track and I would run it like a chair rail

above your counters the 100 amp service will allow you to include 220 for AC or exterior plugs for working outside and it uses

regular breakers and they are way less expensive than RV sh*t anything RV is high as a cats azz

you can use stainless bar sinks if you want a slender counter and they have small ones for the bath area.

and I would consider a drain in the floor of the bath and under the kitchen sink so if there ever is a leak it goes out

side if your cabinet is sealed and your bath floor is plain if it is cold use throw rugs as if it is built in and get wet

it is a nightmare wood swells and buckles rots and smells a small step over and truck bed liner the floor walls hell

even the ceiling and water will remain in the bathroom but you do need a vent fan as water makes steam and mold.

of you use the back corner it will work out as you will not have deal with the ceiling curvature and the other

side of the emergency door is a storage area.

if you keep an open concept 12 volt lights and about 4 to 6 - 12 volt plugs for laptops and auto fans etc every truck stop

has a raft of 12 volt appliances from coolers to lights fans coffee pots etc and using the back few feet you can have a couple

of batteries and run some solar panels on the roof with smart LED lights and conservation you can run a couple of days

easy as long as the sun is shining it will keep charged for lights and a fan at night.

Sound like a project I wish I could be part of I like stuff like that.

OH remember plywood on the floor can be leveled with pieces of tar paper and paneling so there is not much flex

and run the sheets width wise as you do not want a seam don the middle of your walk way / area

plan think some more and plan again make sure and even do some mock ups with cardboard or cloroplast with tape

as your going to have to live with whatever you build and if you keep and consider where the access to plumbing and electrical

is to make it repair friendly your way ahead of every other person who has redone a bus or owns a travel trailer

I have had to work on them and it is hell to you have to get a kid with small hands to reach in the areas they put stuff in

I had to replace a RV commode OH HELL that was a back breaker and totally unnecessary it took a day to pull and put

in a new one and all a RV size one does is save about 7 inches and unless you have the azz of a miniature super model

you not going to like it.

and for the hell of it a paper dispenser does not have to be horizontal it can be vertical with a round plastic bowel for a cover

and water will not ruin your roll and if you have a cat they cannot pull it off on the floor IMO.