Sign in to follow this  
Rapture333

Solution Used To Clean Water Bladders?

I have a new Camelback water bladder on the way that I plan to fix to the outside of my Maxpedition Vulture II (I can't fit anything else inside, or in the molle pockets). Anyway, I hear that water that goes through for the first few times has a horrible aftertaste, is their a solution that I can make or buy that I can put through the bladder to clean it out? I heard something with baking soda works, has anyone ever tried this? Thanks

Rapture, I have a couple of Camelbak antidote reservoirs, before I started using them, I flushed the new bladders through once with warm water and since using them, the water seems to be fine. Regards to Maxpedition Vulture2, I had it for a few days and got it rid off, hated that bag, couldn't get used to it, I felt like I couldn't organize all mu stuff on the inside, main compartment felt too tight, also not having exterior sides pockets, anyway, just my opinion........

psllgroup I completely agree on the Maxpedition Vulture II, in order to remedy those problems I have two tool bags (similar to the ones Rothco sells) and 9x5 vertical pouches on both sides. Helps to organize things far better. The downside now is, I'm trying to find a way to secure a water bladder onto it since clothes take up the remainder of the inside space and the side pockets hold some gear as well. I want to be able to hold a lot of water so I'm hoping this bladder will be able to be secured to the pack.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lw0duwpyyu74xsr/2012-12-20%2019.22.54.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d62zp10i0uhey7n/2012-12-20%2019.23.07.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpz93zwo0vv769g/2012-12-20%2019.23.17.jpg

Btw this is the bladder I want to put on, any advice on how I can secure it would be nice. I might get rid of the buttpack and secure the bladder there instead.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WFYOEQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

psllgroup I completely agree on the Maxpedition Vulture II, in order to remedy those problems I have two tool bags (similar to the ones Rothco sells) and 9x5 vertical pouches on both sides. Helps to organize things far better. The downside now is, I'm trying to find a way to secure a water bladder onto it since clothes take up the remainder of the inside space and the side pockets hold some gear as well. I want to be able to hold a lot of water so I'm hoping this bladder will be able to be secured to the pack.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lw0duwpyyu74xsr/2012-12-20%2019.22.54.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d62zp10i0uhey7n/2012-12-20%2019.23.07.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpz93zwo0vv769g/2012-12-20%2019.23.17.jpg

Btw this is the bladder I want to put on, any advice on how I can secure it would be nice. I might get rid of the buttpack and secure the bladder there instead.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WFYOEQ/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rapture, very nice job with all the extras on the Vulture, back than I was also thinking about adding all the external pouches from Maxped. but didn't like the idea of spending all that extra money for something that should have been part of the pack already, so I picked up the Condor 3day Assault pack (multi cam), and my problem has been solved, very happy with that pack, also have a room for the bladder inside the pack.............JMHO

As far as the bladder, I don't see much of possibilities to attach it to the Vulture, at least not securely enough or that it wouldn't be somehow in your way as you have the pack on you and moving. I would look into Camelbak Thermobak, it has the detachable shoulder straps, might be much easier to strap it to Vulture straps with of without those Thermobak straps if you improvize a bit.......JMHO.

Okay, i'm betting that your backpack has a lot more creature comforts than mine does.............lol

That bladder is a great choice if you are camping or hiking but I don't see any filtration system included. Maybe I missed it. If you are bugging out then water is going to be your first priority.

If there is no filtration and you run out you are going to have to risk building a fire to boil the water from a pond or wherever and then drink safe crappy tasting water. Or, you will fill at a pond and most likely die in a few weeks from bad bacteria and dehydration.

Remember, your fire starting stuff has just become a huge commodity. If this bladder is filtered then forget what I just said. If it is not, there are many portable items to filter water. Sawyer, Berkey, Just Water and so on. If I knew the hose size i'd recommend a 2x3 filter from Just Water. Better make sure it's a snug fit though. Water can save ya or kill ya.

t2940, I do have Katadyn pocket filter in my BOB, but I am looking at site you provided, I like the campsite filtration system, 10 gal per hour flow rate is pretty nice, one can easily fill your reservoirs and bottles in a few minutes and keep moving........:)

I do have a lifestraw and a berfkey water bottle. I'm saving up for a Katadyn Combi though, which would mean I could just pump water straight into my reservoir or bottles. I just feel that in a Bug Out situation having enough water to Get Out Of the Dodge is important, especially if I have to walk many miles on foot. Just like we keep MRE's in our bags, I think water is even more important to have around. Especially if theirs no access to fresh water like in my case. Salt water a plenty however.

t2940, I do have Katadyn pocket filter in my BOB, but I am looking at site you provided, I like the campsite filtration system, 10 gal per hour flow rate is pretty nice, one can easily fill your reservoirs and bottles in a few minutes and keep moving........:)

That Katadyne pocket filter should be good to go for your filtration. Yeah, the JW campsite bag is a bada$$

Hey t2940, as far as the Water Filtration Survival Travel Bottle-Dark Green goes, how does it compare to the Berkey Water Bottle? Is it easy to suck water through it, and what are the dimensions?

The Just Water is a 24 oz and if Berkey (22oz) has the lab results for it's claims it's a good to go as far as i'm concerned.

We tested it's "suck" power from the pond scum out back. Worked great. I was a little hesitant at first...............lol

The JW is silver impregnated ceramic (keeps nasties from growing inside the bottle)..............not sure the Berkey

They are both BPA free.

As long as you have something, you'll at least survive.

Maybe is just me, or my bottle, but the Berkey can be a pain to suck water through. Technically you have to squeeze the bottle extremely hard for water to come out, and my bottle leaks... It may be because I just got and perhaps water has to sit in the filter for a few days to soften it up. If I'm not satisfied with the Berkey I may change... How tall are the water filtration bottles?

Maybe is just me, or my bottle, but the Berkey can be a pain to suck water through. Technically you have to squeeze the bottle extremely hard for water to come out, and my bottle leaks... It may be because I just got and perhaps water has to sit in the filter for a few days to soften it up. If I'm not satisfied with the Berkey I may change... How tall are the water filtration bottles?

I've never tried a Berkey bottle. The Just Water bottle is 10" or 11" if you count the handle.

I didn't have any problem with the ceramic filter in JW. You may just need to sort of let it prime a little before the flow is smooth on the Berkey. Not sure.

I'd heard you may have a small carbon taste just like a refrigerator filter but it clears out. I didn't really notice it in mine.