Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigFootSurvival

Question about setting up a CB in the house

6 posts in this topic

Alright, I will be the first to admit that I know NOTHING about CBs, but I recently inherited a Realist TRC-427, and I am quite curious to know what I need to do in order to get it set up off of a normal house electrical plug. I am fully aware of the limitations in terms of distance by mounting it in my house, but am pretty set on the idea. Any help is appreciated.

First you need a power supply, something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Shack-12-Volt-Power-Supply-/151014491262?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item23292a447e

Then some coax, with pl259 connectors, as long as it takes to reach your anttena, like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25FT-RG-8X-ANTENNA-COAX-COAXIAL-PATCH-CABLE-BLACK-w-MOLDED-PL-259s-BR-8X-25-/151008987286?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Coaxial_Cables_Connectors&hash=item2328d64896

And then an antenna. Maybe something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-METER-CB-ANTENNA-MADE-FOR-DISTANCE-FREE-SHIPPING-in-USA-Great-for-SKIP-/181096170493?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Antennas&hash=item2a2a2c43fd

You would host this up a pole or tree and run the ends out, but nor touch the ground.

As you can see you can easly put $100 into your free CB.

Alright, I will be the first to admit that I know NOTHING about CBs, but I recently inherited a Realist TRC-427, and I am quite curious to know what I need to do in order to get it set up off of a normal house electrical plug. I am fully aware of the limitations in terms of distance by mounting it in my house, but am pretty set on the idea. Any help is appreciated.

BigFoot,

There are several important things about radio setups. Remember that antennas are very long, very high objects. Every year a few hams/CBers die each year when antennas come into contact with power lines. Also, they are lightening rods. There are "lightening arresters" that should go between the antenna connector and the inside of your house. You need a way to connect the antenna to ground. A "coax switch" will allow you to connect the antenna to several radios but if you make one of the connection to ground, you can simply ground the antenna anytime you're not actually on the radio. Your radio will work much better if you have a solid earth ground for all the electronics. If it sounds like I'm repeating myself it is only because one of the best ways to ensure proper workings of a radio system is a really good, really solid grounding system. For my ham radios, I have 5 feet of copper rod driven vertically into the ground. I use a special ground wire, think 000 gauge. You want it capable of carrying all the power a lighting strike can deliver to keep it out of your shack. Wire from the radio to the grounding block should be 14 to 18 gauge.

If you don't have an antenna cut for the 11 meter band (CB frequencies) you'll need a tuner. Probably not needed but you will need an antenna of specific dimensions. Make sure the antenna mast is well grounded as well.

I strongly recommend you use RG8 for the antenna wire. It is 50 ohm wire and that works better at HF frequencies. There is another type, RG58, that will work but is less efficient for your needs. Many ham operators have a bit of an attitude (long history of problems between the two groups and hams got a lot of heartburn when they were blamed for poor operating by CBers) so be aware that if you ask a ham for help, he may have a bit of attitude.

I'll help as much as possible on the blog site here. If you need help or information, just ask. If you decide to build your antenna, I can give you the dimensions for several types that will work for you.

Good luck.

With a power supply, a magnetic mount car antenna on a pizza pan on top of the refrigerator will get you going with local traffic. The pan and refrigerator will serve as the ground plane instead of the vehicle.  The higher antenna the better.

BF