Sign in to follow this  
Lemonmint

Possibility of going to Germany in November...what can/should I definitely take...

Kids and hubby are staying home. I'll be staying with relatives and speak the language fluently. I know the airlines are pretty strict but what do you suggest I take or just have on me while I'm there. I obviously can't take my GHB.

P.S. I'm asking the world to please put "end of the world" chaos on hold until I get back ;) I hope it complies B)

Passport;)

Lemon,

How long you will be staying there? In november things start to get kind of cold, which I am sure you know.....sumer not an option? Germany from what I know has some strict laws, I believe knives or other stuff not permitted, I would have on me my EDC bag and maps of all areas where I am planning to be, and some means of communication with my relatives, if on my own.......

Kids and hubby are staying home. I'll be staying with relatives and speak the language fluently. I know the airlines are pretty strict but what do you suggest I take or just have on me while I'm there. I obviously can't take my GHB.

P.S. I'm asking the world to please put "end of the world" chaos on hold until I get back ;) I hope it complies B)

Bad timing .... you'll miss Octoberfest. Oh, well. I assume you've been there before so I don't need to tell you WARM CLOTHES! As someone pointed out, the Germans (all of the EU, actually) have gone 'bat crap crazy' on any and all kinds of weapons. Fire starter of some type of course. I'd get one or more para-cord bracelets just to have some cordage. Find out what kind of edge you can legally have, then get one, either in your checked baggage or once you arrive. If you don't have one, I'd get a 'passport card' to go with my passport. The card does NOT work in lieu of the passport for air travel BUT if you get separated from your passport you can still prove you are an American citizen. It might become important to convince some embassy type that you belong.

Water bottle - in fact, think winter weekend hiking trip and what you'd want for that. When I was last in West Germany (yeah, I know, dating myself by 40 years, huh?) I was in the military and required to be armed but that has certainly changed now. Have a great trip, just keep aware of your surroundings.

I would get an Icelandic I.D. card as no one is at war or hates them and even if you prove your a citizen our state department

will just ignore you and hope you go away hell they won't even save their own so if I am in a jam I sure don't want them on my side.

as far as Germany enjoy it get a europass plan now so you can maximize your time.

if people ask if your an american speak like the Swedish chef on the muppets.

in certain areas you can shave your head and wear doc martins with your pants legs bloused and fit right in

they like karaoke mostly sing a longs one favorite is Deutschland erwache not one I care for "period" but that is

what they like and goose stepping they seem to be good at that too I guess it is a form of line dancing but I don't like

that kind of thing either.