Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

often forgotten

oh there are many uses for a straight razor.

Like making Cuban Neckties?

I have looked at them at the local antique stores and flea markets. I'm not really interested in a modern one, made in "where-ever". I want a good ol USA or German made one that was made bacjk when that's all there was. The main thing keeping me from buying one is my awesome ability to ruin a dulled edge by trying to sharpen it. I am definitely sharpening challenged. I've had several old timers watch me carefully and no-one can seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. My "technique" seems right to everyone. A mediocre sharpening job on a straight razor is only a knife with no point...

Edited by Ready?4What?

Like making Cuban Neckties?

I have looked at them at the local antique stores and flea markets. I'm not really interested in a modern one, made in "where-ever". I want a good ol USA or German made one that was made bacjk when that's all there was. The main thing keeping me from buying one is my awesome ability to ruin and dulled edge by trying to sharpen it. I am definitely sharpening challenged. I've had several old timers watch me carefully and no-one can seem to figure out what I am doing wrong. My "technique" seems right to everyone. A mediocre sharpening job on a straight razor is only a knife with no point...

we stand together on the sharpening skills. thing is, that straight razor if only used when there is a need,

the edge will last you a long time. i agree with the US or German made. should be easy enough to find.

what sharpening system are you using??

Yeah, easy to find. I could buy a dozen at any point in time...

as for the sharpening system... Name one, I've probably tried it. The one that seems to work best for me is the little folding job from Smith's

http://www.amazon.com/Smiths-PP1-Pocket-Multifunction-Sharpener/dp/B000O8OTNC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1344827463&sr=8-2&keywords=folding+sharpener

It seems to work ok as long as I dont try to use the "fine" sharpener. But this is true with most sharpeners that I use... even the ones that a fool proof and hold the blade at the correct angle. As long as I stay with the coarse, I'm ok. I've even looked with a loupe to make sure that I am not "rolling" the edge. I can get a working edge, but no shaving with my blades... if you want to really dull a blade, hand me one of those diamond sharpeners...

I've got a $200 set of german palm chisels that are now worthless because I cant sharpen them and cant find anyone that will...

yep ive seen those smiths. been thinking about getting one.

i have the Lansky system. im no damn good at all with it.

need to see a good video on this system or something i guess.

they say to get the razor sharpness we want and love take practice.

i dont know. i can get the blade as sharp as a door knob. lol

As for things that I have not seen mentioned.

Q-tips

Hotel sized shampoo and soaps

Bic Lighter (sure I have waterproof matches and a mag starter, but a $0.59 Bic is by far easier while it works)

Sandwich bags and little wire ties for poo...

OK might be dumb here but why would you bag poo....

another biggie i NEVER see is a backup gun. i always see all these

impressive weapons, but i never see a 380 or something as a backup firearm.

I have tried to make mention of NAA black widow with a convertible cylinder shoots both 22 long rifle and

22 magnum very small very durable last ditch effort if you need something on you at all times as they are

small enough to be comfortable and so light you dont notice them but they are always there.

there are numerous small 22 pistols and most people have a 22 so why go to far outside your zone and unless

they make a rifle in 380 I cannot see having one a small 9mm I can see if you have a standard size handgun.

I got away from to many calibers just for the oddball factor.

I was about to buy one of those black widows. My friend got one with the small handle and I shot it. Lets just say it is interesting! I shot it about 10 times and had to catch it 3 or 4 times!! Damn thing would jump right out of your hand. I got a HiStandard .22 Mag Derringer instead. It has a more substantial handle. I'm looking into getting a .22mag rifle to match.

I already have a Walther P22 to match my 10/22

But I dont think I am going to find a pistol to match my Mosin... And dont want to!!!

Another thing that I have that I have never seen in another BOB is a pair of flip flops. I dont know about you guys, but I live in the things... If I'm not barefoot. The idea of spending the coming days, weeks or months in a pair of combat boots makes me shudder.

Keep in Mind the the VC waged a war in flipflops...

Another thing that I have that I have never seen in another BOB is a pair of flip flops. I dont know about you guys, but I live in the things... If I'm not barefoot. The idea of spending the coming days, weeks or months in a pair of combat boots makes me shudder.

Keep in Mind the the VC waged a war in flipflops...

i use keens. great shoes for many activities.

Well...I wouldn't want to run through the woods in flip flops...but the boots I usually wear are kinda like glorified tennis shoes. They're light, let my feet breath, provide ankle support, and have good traction. There are several different brands that are similar. Size and fit vary according to brand.

I run throught the woods all the time in flip flops. I also rock climb in them...

Basicly, If it's above about 40 degrees, I'm in flops, unless I'm at work... I cant seem to find steel toe flip flops...

I have to admit that while bugging in a walk-out situation, I wouldn't be wearing them, but I WOULD have them with me. Once I get where I'm going, I'm shedding the boots.

how about a straw? these are good for getting water from small puddles or hard to get to places.

also they can be used for getting oxygen to fire tender.

they take up no room and weigh nothing.

Have a small metal tube for this! Great point

Well...I wouldn't want to run through the woods in flip flops...but the boots I usually wear are kinda like glorified tennis shoes. They're light, let my feet breath, provide ankle support, and have good traction. There are several different brands that are similar. Size and fit vary according to brand.

good point. my keens do not replace solid boots and i would not run throught the woods in flops either.

accident waiting to happen right there.

I had not thought of the straw idea, but I have a pice of 9ish inch stainless 1/4" tunbing.

Wonder if I can fashion this into a dual purpose straw/fire piston...

Your metal straw/tube can double purpse as a rod for a turnicate. (First aid)

havent heard this one... Please expalin...

cut the plastic in half remove boot and sock put plastic right against skin your dampness will keep it in place

ROLL sock on keep plastic over rub or blister and replace boot the plastic is slippery and keeps the sock

from rubbing the blister or rub area raw or making it bigger as it slips against the sock.

on the edges plain plastic bandages keep edges of toes from getting a worse blister the cotton weave

bandages are great hold better and are flexible for fingers but the plastic are great for feet you need

all sizes.

as soon as I feel a rub start I try to take care of it after it turns into a blister it just makes you miserable.

Extra eyeglasses. I know I'd be useless if i broke my specs in the wilderness. I also carry a set of spare springs and pins for all my bug out weapons (3). Lots of guys have have paracord (me included) but I also have a length of legit braided rope from my fire dept days. along with that rope (or paracord) put a booklet on different knots and how/when to use them. I'd be willing to bet that most people can't even tie simple knots like figure 8 bites or bowlines.

IronBob welcome to the forum and I agree with the knot knowledge

I press people to learn the truckers hitch as it is a compound knot a bowline half hitch and slip knot

I have seen it accomplished with other knots depending on use.

and is a very basic pulley to cinch loads and it can also be used for tying up hammocks

taking slack from a hanging line for crossing a river or a zip line it is a powerful tool increasing

the power of the user clove hitches and a handful of others.