Sign in to follow this  
ricksconnected

often forgotten

a small gun kit and tools for take down and repairs. a necessity. it also carries spare patches and other things for black powder rifle. spare bullets , small patch knife made from a hacksaw blade, fire starter, etc

I haven't seen it listed and may have just missed it, but a heavy duty needle. I like sail makers needles myself, but there are about a thousand and one types out there. They are useful for more than just sewing, and are easily packable.

Often faced with the prospect of being somewhere where I don't have anything I need, I decided to do something about it. So I created a kit that has nearly everything someone could need. Though I realize some of you are looking for a kit that has knives and whistles and rope, but how often do you really need those things? I created a kit that has many things you may actually need on a day-to-day basis, such as: paperclips, rubberbands, a plastic bag, a pencil, safety pins, a stamp, bandaids, tweezers and more. This product is avalible for sale with a helpful donation. You can find more information here. I hope you enjoy!

post-2268-13851497984136_thumb.jpg

Sometimes for work I'll drink a '5hour Energy'. THese use a sturdy plastic 2oz. bottle. I've peeled the labels off and with Black Sharpy labeled the bottles with current contents.

In both BOB (me and wife) I have 4 2oz. bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide, and 4 2oz. bottles of Isopropyl Alcohol.

Also, I have a Ziploc baggy with 3-4 days of the following:

One-a-Day Vitamin, TUMS, Excederine (for pains), Ibuprofen (for pain related to swelling ie. Toothache/infection) , BEANo, Imodium chewables, Benadryl (allergy), Tylenol Cold & Flu, Probiotics

Also something useful to know, real 'TUMS' provides 80% of your daily Calcium per dose (2 tabs)post-2256-13851497985425_thumb.jpg

Edited by NavyVet_77

Sometimes for work I'll drink a '5hour Energy'. THese use a sturdy plastic 2oz. bottle. I've peeled the labels off and with Black Sharpy labeled the bottles with current contents.

In both BOB (me and wife) I have 4 2oz. bottles of Hydrgen Peroxide, and 4 2oz. bottles of Isopropyl Alcohol.

One-a-Day Vitamin, TUMS, Tylenol (for pains), Ibuprofen (for pain related to swelling ie. Toothache/infection) , BEANo, Imodium chewables, Benadryl (allergy), Tylenol Cold & Flu

Also something useful to know, real 'TUMS' provides 80% of your daily Calcium per dose (2 tabs)

Great post, thanks.

i figured i would start a topic that is based on the "often forgotten or over looked" things for the BOB.

these are things that should be in everybodies BOB that you seldom hear anybody packing.

i'll start with saying several pairs or surgical gloves. very few people seem to think to pack these from what ive

read on other folks BOB's. anti-diarrea meds are another thing. if you think you can go from eating normal foods

then switch to some of these "meal replacements" w/o a problem you might be in trouble.

even if you have to do w/o food for a few days the runs can and often are a direct result.

can any of you guys think of any other items that should be add or even considered for the BOB that you

seldom read of folks having?

My experiences with changing feeding habits would call for a stool softener rather that an anti-diarrhea med.

In both BOB (me and wife) I have 4 2oz. bottles of Hydrogen Peroxide, and 4 2oz. bottles of Isopropyl Alcohol.

One-a-Day Vitamin, TUMS, Excederine (for pains), Ibuprofen (for pain related to swelling ie. Toothache/infection) , BEANo, Imodium chewables, Benadryl (allergy), Tylenol Cold & Flu, Probiotics

Also something useful to know, real 'TUMS' provides 80% of your daily Calcium per dose (2 tabs)[ATTACH=CONFIG]940[/ATTACH]

i use to do those 5 hrs for work. keep those things rotated out as the potentcy of these doesnt seem to stay good the older they get.

My experiences with changing feeding habits would call for a stool softener rather that an anti-diarrhea med.

actually it can go either way. thing is, diarrhea will cause you to dehydrate very quickly. in a world or situation where its hard enough to stay hydrated you cant afford that.

people use to die from diarrhea ya know, and dehydration was the main cause of death.

I look all the time for new and better ways to build a BOB and survival suplies, and seldom do I see anyone packing or stocking "Activated Charcoal", a small container in a BOB takes little space and weight, but this stuff works wonders for snake bites, spider bites, bee or wasp stings when packed on the bite area, and if you injest any kind of toxin or posion you drink in a glass of water and it will absorb any and all toxins or posions. This stuff should be in every BOB and home and survival suplies.

I look all the time for new and better ways to build a BOB and survival suplies, and seldom do I see anyone packing or stocking "Activated Charcoal", a small container in a BOB takes little space and weight, but this stuff works wonders for snake bites, spider bites, bee or wasp stings when packed on the bite area, and if you injest any kind of toxin or posion you drink in a glass of water and it will absorb any and all toxins or posions. This stuff should be in every BOB and home and survival suplies.

Very good Point.

This reminded me of country-style Bee sting treatments.

Using either Baking Soda or Old-Fashioned 'Red Man' pouch Chewing Tobacco got me through a few bee hives.

Many good ideas here folks.

I don't think it's been mentioned but the lowly sponge should not be forgotten. Light weight, portable, etc. Many uses but in particular, if you need water clean water you can get up early and wipe/soak up the early morning dew wherever you find it, squeeze it in your mouth or in a container. You should be able to collect a quart or so under an hour, even in the desert and you don't have to treat it.

Don't recall if anyone mentioned bailing wire of fine and heavy gages....fishing hooks, snares, hangers especially for stuff over fires, quick fixes of all kinds....

Wolfe

EDIT: Oops, yes Sean mentioned sponges already but to be used at the other end.

Edited by Dangerwolfe

Very good Point.

This reminded me of country-style Bee sting treatments.

Using either Baking Soda or Old-Fashioned 'Red Man' pouch Chewing Tobacco got me through a few bee hives.

These have worked well for me also.

I actually have a 6' break down Hawaiian sling with a 6" extension and a break away double barb point in my BOB. It's a spear, a walking staff, a post for a tarp rent, break it down and I have 3 two foot whoopin sticks.

I actually have a 6' break down Hawaiian sling with a 6" extension and a break away double barb point in my BOB. It's a spear, a walking staff, a post for a tarp rent, break it down and I have 3 two foot whoopin sticks.

pics pics pics!

thank you for bringing this post back up. i thought folks had lost interest.

lots of good stuff been added here.

Space blanket.

Thinking back on season1 ep. 1 of Dual Survival, Cody L. used a space blanket to make a winter shelter.

I used this idea and hung an emergency blanket in the largest south window of my south-facing apt. and taped up the sides. My lil portable room A/C is thanking me.

i was just setting here thinking, wouldnt it be good to have a camera with you?

there might be situations where a pic could prove guilt or innocence. a pic can often help you find your way back. many uses for a small point and shot camera.

I was just in CHicago... vacation sight seeing tour. Had a map but not detailed enough to show all the little parking lots downtown. i remembered where I was parked by looking at the skyline of nearby buildings. i was able to keep by bearings throughout the day by finding those buildings in the skyline. However , given that landmarks could change, a camera would be nice.

In times of extended stress and boredom people can and will go nuts, stir crazy, whatever you wanna call it. I know it happens in the Navy all the time, being stuck out on a boat for months at a time, no land in sight, sometimes not even getting outside to see if its day or night, sleep devrivation, delirium/pandorum etc....People DO go nuts

Some suggested daily routine activities to actually keep your sanity:

Bath, Shave, Brush your hair/teeth, converse with other people, music, 'games' (Cards n dominos)

...after SHTF come up with constructive tasks that help the group, encourage teamwork... and try to make it fun instead of another source of stress, change up the chore duties every few days. SHare any information thats suitable with the group.

I definitely second the sharing of info, it was one of the worst things, being underway for a month and not haveing a clue where you are or where you are going. I think the command did it on purpose :P .... damn opsec....

I've read through 8 pages of this thread so far and I feel REALLY good about my BOB. So far I have only seen 2 items that I dont have. I'll continue reading later, but i felt compelled to post. They are:

Hand chain saw... Dont want one. I have other gear to duplicate.

Straight razor... Dont have but did consider for 1800's scenario (see below).

I have my gear staged in 3 scenarios...

1 Temp Bug Out for temp bug out where life will resume as normal soon

2 Severe scenario with guns ablaze and probably no return to home

3 Return to 1800's. Gear that will be needed to live life forever more without power and utilities.

The key will be recognizing which scenario you are in and what you can make off with. The "return to the 1800's" event may happen, but I may be unable to take all of my "primitive" tools with me...